Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Dianarose, Your quick witted retort to that silly question just gives me hope for the world. So make sure you stick around a long time, o.k.?

Sheila888888, I added a few 8's there because of how long we both have been on this board. You were in a position to know how I am feeling. How the PTSD kind of takes over your body. Thank goodness that big old nodule of your was nothing. My nodule is about 1.0 cm, and has remained that size for 3 1/2/ years. As freaky as this may sound, there are actually recommendations to just keep it under surveillance even if it IS cancer (which no one knows, but stats are that there is a ~70% liklihood that it is.) I've lived so much by stats lately and I am kind of tired of that.

Yes, I feel very weird to walk around today with the notion that I "probably" have more cancer in my body. Then, I think, "so how is this any different than how I was walking around a week ago, except I have had a scary but inconclusive biopsy?" What has really changed? Nothing. (Please understand that this comment pertains only to papillary thyroid cancer, which sometimes just sits there doing absolutely nothing.)

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

ct scan at 11:30 if anyone wants to join. Bring some nice summer fruity drinks please

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

I'm baaaaaack. It's been a long while since I have checked in - took a much needed break. All is well with me but just needed time away.

I went back a few days to catch up and am sorry that upon my return I learn that Barbe1958 has progressed to stage iv and that Dianarose and Elimar are both experiencing anxiety and uncertainty with their health. My thoughts are with all of you.

I hope that I have missed a lot of good news too.

And it's been a long time since I have attended a pp - so of course I will jump in your pocket Dianarose - Here's a few drinks to get things started.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Dianarose..jumping in your pocket or you prefer holding your hand and anything you wanna drink will be there.

I've been many pocket jumpings so I know what to do

Good Luck to you and sending big hugs from NY...

Sheila

Hug

• Dianarose

Barscoyummy

Sheila-you might have to slap me to get me to calm down lol. I don't do well with the iodine 😖.

• LibbyD
    LibbyD Member Posts: 6

I'm not a Damsel in distress,

Medals and scars adorn my chest.

I fight my battles,

Rise and fall,

But as for now,

I'm standing tall.

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Good Luck!

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

I rarely post on here but I do read along. In your pocket Dianarose today. At least these look like they might be healthy.

Howdy Barsco. Long time no see. Breaks are good.

• elimar

Right there with you, Dianarose. Good Luck with the scan and with the iodine.

So glad to hear from both barsco1963 (didn't know you were on break, just thought you were hanging out on some Stage IV threads); and luvmygoats (everything is funnier with goats!)

I'll take that umbrella drink from the top picture, the unnatural blue one. (What's it gonna do, cause cancer?)

Oh, and barsco, I can really appreciate your tag line: "It isn't knowing the worst, the worst is not knowing."

I have read and learned a lot over the weekend about parathyroid disease and papillary thyroid cancer (and how pathologists have a hard time distinguishing between the two) and have come to a personal decision that I will not give up my thyroid (or even half of it) for an inconclusive biopsy result. That is asking too much of me and I won't do it. I am waiting for one more result (a PTH wash) and that may revise the current suspicion. If not, will inquire about genetic/molecular testing. Welcome to the dog and pony show.

• Dianarose

what a great pocket party. Xanax, Benadryl, and one of each kind of drink. Going to have to sleep it off😜 Thanks everyone!!!!😘😘😘😘😘😘

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Have a nice sleep Diana. Guess the iodine treated you OK today. We'll be here when you wake up.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,310

Barsco - thanks for bring back the drinks. I had forgotten all the lovely party foods. Oh - and the Cheetos. Luv - good to see you. I guess we're on different threads now.

DinahRose - hope the test results are good news.

Eli - I agree. They can tell you much with genetic testing now and it's not invasive like a biopsy.

• elimar

I'm back to having question marks pictured at the top. Perennial favorites of appropriateness.

• Dianarose

came home to company. Love you but please leave now!!! I am tired and getting cranky.

During the scan theykept waiting for the dye to get to the blockage but it wasn't working. Had to flip me on my belly side twice and it finally went. I am not feeling warm and fuzzy about this

• TAB55
    TAB55 Member Posts: 71

Dianarose, Sorry I logged on too late to join the pocket party. I hope your company is gone and that you're getting some sleep.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908

Dianarose--how'd the CT go?I brought a jug of homemade summer Sangria!

Libby--LIKE!

El--good for you making your own decision and sticking to it!

Diana--flipping during the scan?Sound scary to me.Praying for you.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Barsco!! Baby!! so good to see you again!

Elimar, I just can't friggin' believe it! Buy a lottery ticket, quick!! I've had my thyroid taken out in two stages and am now on Synthroid for life. No biggie for me, really - just add another pill to my cocktail. Thyroid cancer is one of the very few cancers that will only grow in the place it started. I see the logic of them waiting. If it's been that size all these years.... I just kept growing tumours so they finally took it out so I can function properly.

Dianarose, when do you get the results??? What a long haul with waiting! I need to let my breath out for you.

• Dianarose

I get results on Friday. Waiting is stressful. 😖 Did get some much needed sleep. There is another weird thing. Since the beginning of the month when I got the Zometa my mouth has hurt. Felt like I had a bunch of sores. After taking the Benadryl it is better. I didn't want to do the Zometa this time yet MO convinced me. No more for me

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Eli - quite a task to try and decipher something that even the doctors have a hard time with. You seem to have your thoughts gathered and know what you want though.

Waiting with you Dianarose. Hope that the warm fuzzies come back with your test results.

• Dianarose

called my doctors office Monday to ask results of one of my test. The girl who answered didn't know where they were and was going to check into it. Called back today and talked to the nurse and she had no idea either. It has been ten days😖 Feeling totally frustrated today. I feel fine so maybe I will just stop going to the dam doctors

• elimar

Call from my doctor's office Tuesday and I asked results of one test. The woman who called back said they were not back (from being sent out to hospital) and the dr. was going to call and check on them. Did not hear back yesterday & nothing so far today either. I'll call later today, if no one calls me first. It has been eight days. Feeling about as frustrated as always. I feel fine so, once I get my results, I doubt I'll return to the endocrinologist that I hate. (TETIH.)

---------------------

This actually happened:

Weds.: Doctor calls, sez: Thyroid nodule suspicious of papillary cancer. Get a surgery, etc. Any questions, call me.

Friday: Guy calls, sez: Doctor wants to know if you have questions? (Well, since it's suspected cancer...I had about eight.)

Friday: Girl calls, sez: Doctor wants you to come in. I say, Why, too many questions? Girl sez, yes. I say, he told me I could call. I am not doing another co-pay. How may questions will he answer for free? Two? Three? Maybe he can call me back and answer up to his limit of questions that he can answer for free, how 'bout that? (Tone of mixed sarcasm and outrage.)

Monday: Girl calls me, sez: Doctor wants to get you in a.s.a.p. to answer your questions. I say, since he left me hanging over the weekend, I went online and got all my info. from Dr. Google. (Now working toward my Dual Associates Degree in Papillary Thyroid Cancer and Parathyroid Disease.) I say, all I want now are my test results. She sez she will have someone call me back.

Tuesday: Girl calls me as stated in first paragraph. I tell her I want the test results; also have one question about further testing in order to get a more definitive idea of what the thyroid nodule actually is.

Tuesday: I get passive aggressive letter saying to call the Doctor's Office because they had tried and failed to reach me on Friday. WTF? Could they be that disorganized? Who o.k.'d that letter to go out? The doctor? One of the two people I spoke to on that day? Somebody is a bit freaky.

Wednesday: Waiting to hear...Feeling like these TacoBell workers shorted me a taco again!

image (It's my metaphor for sub-standard health care treatment.)

Wednesday: Call in to assistant at dr's office. Supposedly the doctor called the hospital path. lab., but the results were not in. Wait some more.

• biscuits
    biscuits Member Posts: 2,158

elimar...how frustrating! Have you checked out thyca.org? It is a very reputable site for anything dealing with the thyroid. When I was diagnosed with BC, last year, I was sent for a Pet Scan. Thank goodness, for something large "lit up" around the thyroid, larynx and esophagus. BC was put on hold until they could find out what was going on. It was thyroid papillary cancer and I had a total thyroidectomy with extended central neck dissection. I can truly say that it was quite the bumpy road for a few months! I am sending good thoughts your way...

• elimar

Yes, biscuits, I did. That and so much more. There IS a lot to know.

You really got both barrels last year with two cancers at once. I guess the good news is that both of the cancers you had do have a "good" prognosis. Not trying to downplay anything, but the stats are favorable for you. I bet it was a surprise to get that Oncotype score, wasn't it? Having that additional info. helped with the decision to do chemo. Sometimes additional testing is well worth it. Maybe I can get some.

It's one thing to know that you have a thyroid cancer and deal with that fact, but it's another to have "question mark" like I now do. Very hard for me to sacrifice an important functioning glad for something so uncertain (such as mine could very well be a parathyroid tumor, and not necessarily cancerous; and that is actually what the results might tell me on this test I am waiting to hear about today.)

• Dianarose

Elimar- I totally feel your frustration ! My DH said let's stop at the lab and see what's going on. She said the report was in and she would fax it again to the doctor. As we were leaving she came out and said if we went upstairs to medical records I could sign a waver and get the report , so I did. This is what the report says- Nor a kidney stone. The sample does not have the appearance of a kidney stone; it appears to be foreign material.

That's it. What the hell does that mean? This was done at the Mayo Clinic too.

• barbe1958

Holy crap!!! Dianarose, your mind must be spinning! How would foreign material get into your kidneys? My kidney stones are uric acid which is very rare and they were identifiable. Calcium stones are the norm and they are very identifiable. So what the heck? Doesn't even say needs a biopsy or further investigation?

• Dianarose

Barbe- that's all it says. Personally I think it is something from all the Zometa.

Can't they break it down to find out what the hell it is? I just don't get it

• barbe1958

I've had stones lasered, so they could do that...still holding my breath for you, sweetie.

• Dianarose

Barbe- what I meant was they had the dam sample so they could have figured out what it was instead of say foreign material. Pisses me off that I have to pay for what I already knew

• elimar

Thanks for the idea, Dianarose, to go directly to the hospital lab. Mine is as close as my doctor's office anyway. The mystery of the delay is solved...my biopsy samples were sent out to Quest. Unfortunately, I still have not heard when they are expected back. It has been 10 days now.

I've had it with vague results too.

• barbe1958

Dianarose, they actually had a sample to biopsy???? WTH??