MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• CherylQ
    CherylQ Member Posts: 42

Welcome Carrol2 - too bad we all have to join this club to meet.  My sister's BC was like yours, she had rads and did well.  I on the other hand will be having both chemo and rads starting this coming week.  Everyone is different and response differently, so hang in there, we are standing by your side each step of the way.

Praying for a low oncotype score for you too!

Peace and laughter

Cheryl

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Welcome Carrol2!  I have a question for you.  Did a mammo find your lump or did you?  I'm asking because your B/C (which is Grade 3, therefore agressive growing) was caught pretty early...you are lucky on that.  Our Dx are similar, but I went with lumpectomy, radiation & Tamox.  My Onco score was 18, but chemo would have only lowered my risk of recurrence 2-3%, so I did skip chemo.  Will be hoping you get a low score; but whatever is next for you, you've got some B/C sisters right here ready to help you thru' it.

About the rads-tan, still have mine tho' it has faded a lot.  I would say I got 6-8 shaded darker during rads and now the area is still 1-2 shades darker, so maybe in another year I will be all blended in again.

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

My rads area - mostly the boost area, which was a sort of oval - is barely different from the skin around it. It's got a lovely divot from the lumpectomy in the midst of it, and I'd have to say that THAT is more noticeable than any skin discoloration. I think some of that depends on your skin type and how it reacts to the radiation process. Mine just got a bit pink. I'm surprised, because I'm fairly pasty, but it's recovered pretty well. That area tends to be drier, though, and if I don't keep some lotion on it, it can get wildly itchy...

My latest thing is that my left hand's index finger is twitching periodically. I think I perhaps have some sort of nerve pinching somewhere along the line from my shoulder to the end of my finger...

Seyla - that's my thought process: my poor boob was slapped around, they rooted around inside in two places looking for stuff and then rearraged it and sewed me back up, and then they toasted the area with radiation. THEN I added Tamoxifen, which changes the skin and annoys my joints. I'd be surprised if I DID feel normal. :)

It's always something, isn't it?

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Kleenex, google "trigger finger" it's a real phenomenon.

• Wintermoon623
    Wintermoon623 Member Posts: 4

Hi. I'm 51...was 48 when diagnosed.  I had lumpectomy, two follow up surgeries (one cause we didn't get it all and one to remove a hard, mean fat necrosis), chemo and rads.  Needless to say my smaller, radiated boob looks like it belongs to a 25 year old....my other boob looks every bit of 51. I thought about plastic surgery to even them up but none of the recommended surgeons are in my insurance network (of course!) so I've just decided I'm gonna lean to the left a little from now on...LOL.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Wintermoon, I can relate to the dual generation boobs.  I have had two surgeries trying to even mine up and my non-BC side is still larger and is effect by gravity more.  I remember going to the BS after y lumpectomy and teasing that I'd love to have him to do the same thing to the other side.  hat was when I was still swollen, but perky none the less.  Then the divot began showing and radiation took it's toll.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326
    Carrol2, Hi there! I'm 45 also and live just @ 2 1/2 hours away from you. I live in the upper northwest part of Missouri. An hour north of St.Joe. I had a bi-lat mastectomy in April. First had chemo(12 weeks), another round of chemo(12 weeks), surgery, radiation and am now on Herceptin for a year (will end at the end of May 2011). Didn't plan on having any kind of reconstruction, but the surgeon didn't take off all what he was suppose to. So now will have a plastic surgeon remove what the cancer surgeon left behind. Hoping to do that sometime in November. Sorry you had to join us, but glad you found your way here. This is a really good place to laugh, cry, bitch, moan, groan. Whatever you need to make you feel better. These women are wonderful. Good luck and God Bless. (((((HUGS)))))  Leisa
  • Wintermoon623
    Wintermoon623 Member Posts: 4
    Meece: Dual generation boobs...LOL.  That is my new term for them! 
  • gingersfavorite1
    gingersfavorite1 Member Posts: 134
    ummm.....  wow.    No thanks  Laughing
  • Meece

Ladies, it appears that the post by mtlelt has been posted in many threads, and the (Edited to say) "Community has"  already begun to remove them.  edited to say :Boy that was quick!!!!

• Meece
  • nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,900

When I had rads my entire breast blistered, burned, seeped fluid for weeks during and afterward.  Some of the skin discoloration I had was burn scarring, I imagine.  At one point one of the rad center workers said she'd never seen anything as bad as my breast looked, and that was half way through.  It got a lot worse after that. I would like to have a dime for every time a doc or nurse has told me "that's really unusual."  I'd be a rich woman.  Oh, well. 

Cancer treatment, the gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving and giving.. . . . 

• Meece

At least your health care team would talk to you.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Happy Labor Day my friends.  Here's how I feel about all of you-my unfailing support system!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK9Xj7eY0UU&feature=player_embedded

• Meece

Here's a link:      Lean on Me

Your link didn't work for me, but I found the video and love it.  Always loved the song anyway.

• Meece

Duh, I feel stupid, you weren't trying to make a link, just an address.  Sorry, joni.

• silverwingcat
    silverwingcat Member Posts: 2

I was wondering what do they mean by stage 3 beni

• silverwingcat
    silverwingcat Member Posts: 2

last friday the nurse called and said I was a stage 3 be. there was some cal. returning the radologist thinks i should just stay on the 6 month mam. but the nurse was sending over the diag. to my surgent, and he may call me about what he thinks i'm just lost on what to think

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Sorry I can't help you silverwincat as I don't know what you're asking.

To the rest...at my work when a delivery goes bad, we always say "oh that NEVER happens!" to the poor lady with a fridge through the floor or something. We like everyone to feel special...ehehehehe

When nothing does go wrong, that's the exception unfortunately....

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Greeting, to women posting for the first time on this thread.  Silverwingcat, our B/C is "staged" by size and lymph node involvement, or spread.  I am not sure of your question either.  Are you saying you have something benign (B9) that is Stage 3...I have never heard of that.  That does not sound right.  Are you asking about microcalcifications?

Nice new (avatar) look Eph!  Enjoyed the video you posted.  Thanks for the testimonial.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Silverwingcat...I think the result of your mammogram reads

BIRAD 3 Benign Here is more information for you if Im thinking what you are asking...

BIRADS Scores

CategoryDiagnosisNumber of Criteria
    0IncompleteYour mammogram or ultrasound didn't give the radiologist enough information to make a clear diagnosis; follow-up imaging is necessary
    1NegativeThere is nothing to comment on; routine screening recommended
    2BenignA definite benign finding; routine screening recommended
    3Probably BenignFindings that have a high probability of being benign (>98%); six-month short interval follow-up
    4Suspicious AbnormalityNot characteristic of breast cancer, but reasonable probability of being malignant (3 to 94%); biopsy should be considered
    5Highly Suspicious of MalignancyLesion that has a high probability of being malignant (>= 95%); take appropriate action
    6Known Biopsy Proven Malignancy  
  • sheila888

Silverwingcat...I believe they are talking about BIRAD 3 Benign

Did you get that info after your mammogram?

I will find a link and post it for you.

If this is your question.

• sheila888

BI-RADS Assessment Categories are[1]:

• 0: Incomplete
    • 1: Negative
    • 2: Benign finding(s)
    • 3: Probably benign
    • 4: Suspicious abnormality
    • 5: Highly suggestive of malignancy
  • Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Nice to meet you Bonnie cute kitty! I have three cats, 2 that are 10 years old and a 1 year old. Yur right this is a good place to come I have found lots of info and comfort here.

• Meece

gg08-Bonnie.  I think you might have mentioned where in AZ you live, but I don't remember.  DS & DIL live in the South.  we are heading there in 4 weeks for a short visit.  My brother and his family live in Tucson, A cousin in Oracle, Aunt & Uncle in...I can' remember, somewhere out of tucson.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

welcome to the newcomers ... always fun to meet new people in here.  Eli - love the new picture at the top :)  have a good week everyone - at least it's a short one for most of us!

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

I think I am out of date on everthing.

PM....good news? If so :)

Faith...book...is this THE book????

I am doing well, but busy, I got to go to the state fair today. I am also working on a cancer project at work which I have mixed feelings about, I go to work to forget about cancer. (It ain't for the paycheck let me tell you!)

Anyhow I read an article a few weeks ago about survivorship rates across the board, not just BC, did anyone else read it. 

If you have a short sentence about survivorship I could use in my project feel free to pm me.

Had some first class cookies tonight at a little town fair. 

Peace out...CG

(Oh after three weeks of antibiotics my le infection is still there, and my BS is on vacation!!!)

• Meece

Gg08-Bonnie.  I am in central California.  The picture is from a Botanical Garden in Santa Barbara.

DS wants us to go tubing down the Salt River with them when we come through in a few weeks.  I haven't really been to Phoenix in years since my aunt and uncle moved to Tucson.  We used to go there every Christmas vacation.

CG, so sorry your infection isn't responding.  Don't you think Doctors should be exempt from vacations? Wink 

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Bonnie/Meece - I grew up in Tucson - moved away just about nine years ago. I last lived in Oro Valley, my mom lives near there, and my sister is way out east by Sabino Canyon. We've been bad about visiting, although I'm thinking we may go back over Thanksgiving... Tubing down the Salt River was a big activity in my early 20's. I remember that the sun would be hot, the water would be cold, and the views were so pretty. Except for the views of some of the other people tubing...

Cookie - bummer about the too-close-to-home project, although perhaps this project has fallen into your lap for A Reason...

Elimar - LOVE the picture.

• Meece

Kleenex, My brother and sister in law work out at the Sonora Dessert Museum. He has lived in Tucson for 26 years. My Aunt and Uncle taught at the school for the deaf. Didn't know about the tubing, but its nice to know my kids still think I am young enough to do stuff like that with them, and aren't too ashamed to be sen with mye in a swim suit.