MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

im glad you got thru it, cookie gal..today, and the whole last year.. our innocence IS gone forever, i'm afraid.. God willing, and the creek don't rise, we will have no more active fight with the b**disease, and it will lessen, not as sharply as now..I'm afraid if this disease was a man, i'd go for punching much more private, {and vulnerable }parts to punch,,,,much love,sweetie.. here, at the breast centre, they pass out pink roses.. got so sick of them, went home and planted yellow roses a family tradition for me, and lavender roses. hope never to see a pink one again, and since no mammos for me(no boobs, either, but whos counting) i wont have to go to womans center again. amen..!!light and love, 3jays

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I am so happy for your friend, 3jays.  Glad I could help Wink  I did tell DH about my BC after he kissed me, and my wig slipped!  Had to explain my growing forehead!  And he still asked me on a second date!

I don't mind Pink anything. Although pink roses are far from my favorite, send me a dozen and I will enjoy them and display them proundly!

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

Elimar- I got your S. Carolina, and TX. I was conceived in Alaska, but I don't think that counts. Haven't been to all 50 and should sit down and figure out which ones I'm missing.

I had pink rose buds in my wedding. I still like them but for some reason I've grown tired of roses in general. I think it's because although the flowers are pretty the plant themselves are not. 

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310
    I think I've been to almost 30 states, almost all as an adult. Elimar, I know someone who lives in Texas who's a LOT of fun, if you're looking to cross that one off the list! She's kind of inappropriate, though, but I think you'd enjoy her company. She'll probably try to tell you cancer stories that most people don't find funny... Sealed  I also have in-laws in Georgia . We should've swung by to pick you up on our way out there this summer.
  • smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383

As usual I am off topic but I had to share with others who would understand. Last week, while I was in the Bay Area for my 6 month oncology check up, I also went in for a bra and prosthesis fitting. The last ones I had I donated to our local cancer center and I thought I'd do it again. My insurance covers three bras and prosthesis every two years. As much as those things cost I figured someone could use them.

The young lady who was there was very kind and compassionate. After she measured me and left the room to get some bras to try on, I burst into tears. I have been going flat since my scar revision surgery last October and I was quite happy without having to lug around a chest any more. So why was I crying???

I put on the bra and prosthesis, pulled a t-shirt over my head and what did I see? A shapely image of me. I was totally caught by surprise by how I looked. I have worn these things after my first mastectomy and after my second one. I was a 36DD before cancer and chose to be a 36C afterwards. This feeling was so bizarre to me.

A few days later I put them on and decided to take them out for a test drive. I felt different, as if I blended into the rest of the town. I had felt that my flat chest was a beacon that announced that I was a cancer survivor, but I realized that that was mostly in my head. I can look down and see a shape and not just the flatness of my chest, rib cage and stomach. It's hard to describe...

My 20 year old DD says that I look like the old mom, before cancer. My husband admitted that he was afraid to comment one way or the other about them because he knows how sensitive I am about the subject. I guess that over time my feelings have changed, just as I have. I'm sure there will come a day when I am perfectly fine with going flat. We have a bike run next weekend and I'm not bringing "the girls" camping!

This journey is never ending and always a surprise...

• Meece

What a wonderful incite, smithlme!  Time does change things!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

smithlme, You Are Gorgeous!

• PauldingMom

smithlme-what a great story. You are beautiful with our with out the girls!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Thanks for sharing, smithie.  It not just our bodies affected by The Beast, but our self-images as well.  Thanks goodness there are options for women, so they can choose what feels and looks best for them. 
  • Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

So bizarre that this stupid infiltrator tampers with two major defining elements of our appearance and possibly our self-image: hair and boobs!

• Meece

BC couldn't be male, because those are the two bigeest attributes women have in the male mind.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

smithlme, if you're like me, you may feel a certain way for 3 months, then change your mind, then go back or find a totally different way of feeling.  that's what continues to nag at me.  I will truly go for long periods of time (I'm 5 yrs out) where I barely give all the lingering se's a thought.  then I'll have a month (like last month) where I'm irritable - hence all the idiotic ramblings about my hub - and prone to outbreaks of crying for no reason, and then I'll be fine again.  as long as we have this forum to vent and share and be totally 100% non-judgmental of anyone else, we'll get through this and just keep getting stronger and stronger year after year :)   hugs all

• Meece

I was referred to by one of the supervisors at work today as Wonder Woman without the suit.  I sure don't feel that strong. 

• elimar

She has one rockin' outfit!

Wonder Woman Pictures, Images and Photos

• Meece

In order not to be encouraging sexual harrassment, I sent him this picture

Unfortunately he isn't my supervisor.  It would be nice to be noticed by someone who had influence over your future.

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

OMG it has taken me hours to read all the funny, supportive and great posts you all have written while I was gone. Smithy, you are ahead of me by a couple of months so congratulations and we are both having grandsons! Cookie, I am so glad for you that a whole year has gone by and you in spite of the LE are here and doing well! Hello to all the new women!

I was home for a little more than 2 weeks and it was heaven, even taking all the older people in the family to their Dr. appts. My maternal Aunt and Uncle who are 86 both have stage iv cancer, my Aunt has some dementia now and my uncle is very hard of hearing and won't wear his hearing aid and at the end of the Oncologist visit (yes both of them at once) he hugged me and we both laughed! What a day..but being the nurse in the family and the control freak I was so happy to make that appt. I usually manage their care through the nurse navigator.

Happiness is my PG daughter it is so sureal and always amazes me. She is doing great!

I was reading about DH's and just H's and I remembered a quote from a book where an old woman tells a young women "a man has to be amazing to beat no man at all"

I really missed all of you!

Linda

• robbiedrums
    robbiedrums Member Posts: 14

Happy Cancerversary, Cookie!  Much love to you and yours.

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

Middies, Middies, Middies!!!

Cookie's 'celebrated' a year.

Smithie's insightful.

Eye candy of all sorts.

And Robbie wanders in the midst of our nonsense!!

Drumrolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Today: just before 2:00, we sent off all of the files to the printers for my next picture book!!!!

Then barely an hour later, my yoga class gathered up about 15 grannies & book lovers and hosted an 'almost-a-book-lauch-party.' The setting was amazing. A glorious new home perched on the side of a bluff, overlooking the bay with majesty.

Anyhow, it was a delightful celebration. They are all remarkable women in their own right & they were so delightfully supportive & encouraging!!!

Just now. Sitting here thinking about the day. I realize that I didn't mention BC once, in any manner. I am still with barely 'fluffies' due to the LE and wore my compression sleeve & gauntlet, as per usual..... but BC had absolutely nothing to do with anything we were celebrating.

The power of women. None of these gals had any idea what I "do" as of Tuesday and today we had an absolutely blessed gathering of celebration.

It was a little bit like this place, where we get enthused about the excitements of each other and hold hands when needed.

Thanks for letting me bask just a little while longer in the after-glow of crossing the finish line.

xx00xx00xx00xx 

• elimar
    Faith, you are always on the go and well travelled.  I was waiting for you to show up and comment on how many States of the Union you have travelled to.  Have you gotten to them all yet?
  • eph3_12

What A Real Man Does

A real man is a woman's best friend. He will never stand her up and never let her down. He will reassure her when she feels insecure and comfort her after a bad day. He will inspire her to do things she never thought she could do; to live without fear and forget regret. He will enable her to express her deepest emotions and give in to her most intimate desires. He will make sure she always feels as though she's the most beautiful woman in the room and will enable her to be the most confident, sexy, seductive, and invincible........

No wait... sorry... I'm thinking of wine. That's what wine does...

Never mind....

(this was an e-mail my mom sent meSmile

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110
    Joni ~ That is TOO Funny!  Laughing
  • chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Got a good laugh from that one Eph,  but isn't it oh so true.  What was your mum trying to tell you?

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383

Too funny Joni!!! Thanks all for the kind words and support. It's so hard to put into words what a roller coaster of emotions we all ride.

I spent the day with my daughters boyfriend, playing tour guide. We drove through the "World's Famous Drive-thru Tree", went through Confusion Hill and the Tree House. I spent every summer camping in the redwoods so I thought I'd drag him through some of the exciting things up here! Poor guy! He was quite the trooper and actually seemed to enjoy the day. If this doesn't scare him away, nothing will!

• Meece

Joni, I was reading your post with a serious interest.  As lucky as I am, My DH does match 3/4 of them, and then when I finished I laughed out loud.  DH wanted to know what was going on, but I just could explain.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,900

Congratulations, FAITH!!! That's a big step forward, and I hope the book is a real hit!

• Meece

You have such adventures, Faithie.  What a lucky woman!  Congrats!

• CherylQ
    CherylQ Member Posts: 42

Thank you everyone, I love the posts.

I plan to keep traveling also, like Faithie, but when I am old it will be with funky hair and perky boobs.

Peace and laughter everyday,

Cheryl

• PauldingMom
    B9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loving Life and Feeling Good!!!!!  They want to recheck in 3 mos. to be double sure!  I'm so happy and DH is too. I think it's champagne and hot tub night for us! 
    Ya'all have a great weekend!  Gigantic Pin hugs to each of you. Couldn't have made it with out your support!
  • eph3_12
    chrissyb-I'm not sure there was a message being sent by mom, cause she & I have both been man-less for years & she wouldn't be telling me to drink wine because there is a famous family picture of me on the day after the last time I did serious confrontation with wine, approximately 25 years ago!  Like Meece though, I was reading it with all seriousness, got to the punch line & laughed outloud!!  Knew it would perfect for you girls.
  • chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Eph, I really laughed hard....I too thought it was quite serious until I got to the end.