MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Hey Cookie I am from Long Island moved to Kansas City almost 2 years ago. Don't miss it but I do miss NYC sometimes. How did you do in the race? I bet it was a fun. I am going to ahve to find a walk around here when i am all done with chemo and recon.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Linda, if you just had an MRI a month ago, why would they have a mammo this month????

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

OG56, I'll be waiting to hear how you do at mammo tomorrow.  That lump might be something, but as you know B/C usually doesn't cause pain.  That is kind of strange it did not show up on the MRI you had.  Good Luck tomorrow...report back! 

I wish NebraskaGrandma would check in also.  She was a "first-pager" on this thread, and I wish she had been here for our one-year anniversary.  Hope she is doing great, just keeping busy with grandma stuff.

NM,  Thanks for posting (and the PM) about the surgical clips.   I was one who did not even want rads tattoos, so having those "surprise" clips in there is freaking me out a little.  With all the booklets and huge binder they gave me to read, and with all the personnel I talked with pre-surgery, you would think someone would have mentioned that my "new normal" would include having foreign objects in my boob. I now remember that I had the disovable stitches inside my lumpectomy site.  They stayed intact for some months, and scar tissue was forming around them, but I massaged the area, plus had a few PT sessions and I don't feel them anymore (and they did not show up on the x-ray.)  I wish they had used that instead of clips at my SNB site.  

• elimar

Counting the original opening post, this is IT...woo-hoo!

5000 posts Pictures, Images and Photos

Barbe1958 and faithandfifty go all the way back to the first page too   I don't know how many individuals have actually posted on here, but the thread has been viewed 78,530 times so far.  Thanks to all posters for making it interesting (IMHO,) and a shout-out to any and all lurkers...come join in.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,900

Hooray!  Time for a PARTAY!!

• theresap60
    theresap60 Member Posts: 849

I think this is my first post here ... don't know why it took me so long! :-)

elimar - Congratulations on the 5000th post! I love the cheetos video! And love the roller coaster - exactly how I feel this year.

Ellendg1 - yes, many of us have been in your shoes and we're here to help you work through it. I found out the results of my biopsy on Christmas Eve. It wasn't the best of holidays.

Carrol2 - my prayers are with you. I had 4 rounds of TC, 2 weeks apart. I didn't have the onco type test... my onc doctor never mentioned it and I found out about the test by my own browsing of the Internet. When I asked him about it, he still didn't recommend it b/c of the cost and he's recommend chemo for me no matter what the score b/c of my family history. If that's what you end up doing, I found that icing my fingers and toes while receiving taxotere kept me from developing long lasting nail and neuropathy problems. Just a little in my right fingers b/c I was lazy about icing those. Keep on top of the anti-nausea meds they give you and you'll be fine. And drink a lot to flush the chemicals out.

seyla888 - I'm like you, I get upset by more things now and I wonder if it's because I'm 50 and going through menopause, 50 and going through menopause and healing from cancer, or 50 and going through menopause, healing from cancer and taking tamoxifen!!! :-)

OG56 - I hope all turns out well for you.

Now I have a craving for some Cheetos.

-Theresa

• bluegems
    bluegems Member Posts: 507

marle,

I'm not too far south from Williamsburg/Busch Gardens. Grandbabies are in that week. How long will you be in the area?

Judy

• elimar

"I get upset by more things now and I wonder if it's because I'm 50 and going through menopause, 50 and going through menopause and healing from cancer, or 50 and going through menopause, healing from cancer and taking tamoxifen!!!"

theresap60, I second that emotion!  Thanks for taking me up on the invitation to join in, I think you will fit right in here.  Can you tell me what SAVI is?  (I really mean spare me the Googling.) 

• heymoose
    heymoose Member Posts: 682

HI to all,

Faith thanks for your kind words.  Congratulations on your book.  Please let me know when it is published, I would like to give a copy to my SD as she is now in Grad school for teaching.  Hope you are doing fine.

elimar, congrats!!!!!! on being 5000th post. 

cookiegal, was the NYC race the 3 day Susan G. Komen race?  I walk the Komen race here in Buffalo this year and it was a blast.  My family came in from out of town to join me, that made me cry tears of joy.

I get upset more easily since my diagnosis in 2008, not sure if that is why or if menopause aslo had a hand in it.  Any way, i try to control the tears when I am upset. 

OG56 hope mammo goes well tomorrow.

Have a nice evening.  Sending (((((Hugs and Prayers)))))) to all.

Cheryl

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Wow - I didn't even wander into this thread until almost page 5...Typical.

I think ALL OF IT whips up more emotion. Stage of life, hormones, cancer diagnosis, unsavory treatments, etc., etc.

Looks like NebraskaGrandma hasn't logged in since early May - entries were normal prior to that. Hopefully she's just busy.

I am on an unintentional break from Tamoxifen due to poor implementation of mail-order refill procedures on my part, and let me tell you, if anyone thinks that they will stop it for a few days and get a break from flashes, think again! I'm having a flashfest. That "half-life" of Tamoxifen in the system is impressive.

So is our humidity here in scenic Texas.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    Kleenex...We are neighbors I also started on page 5Wink
  • OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377
    Barbe, the MRI a month ago was for a baseline on the Rt. breast, it had an excisional biopsy this last January and they needed a post op one.
  • eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Well, I couldn't find my page # but I 1st posted on 12-2-09 on this tread, so you all had been partying it up for quite awhile before that! 

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

o.k.. just need to sY, I KNOW I'VE TOLD  sorry how i dont understand new computer age. but..went on google , and found alot of the posts from this thread on google!! how stupid am i!! will send more pms now..my bco info is right out there, name, etc..im freaked out.. but, since i have no inapproprites HERE, i guess i'll just chalk it up as alearning exp. my son, hopefully, knows hoow to get rid of some of it. my signature, for sure!! 5000 posts is awesome. a\nd all that glitters is still gold 2 me..will someone tell me what imho or whatever  means. thanks ladies. you've really helped me. they " forgot" to pit markers in me, andd now i'm GLAD..light and love  3jaysmom

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

3jaysmom ~ imho means In My Humble Opinion

Hello cheeto ladies! I don't post much but fly through nearly every day to pick at the cheetos crumbs!

Congrats on 5000 posts! Awsome!

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

I started on page 52. Glad I did.Congradulations on 5,000 posts. Wonderful group of people to be associated with.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I started posting on page 16 oops 17 (That was in my post)!  I have posted 572 times!  I am responsible for 10% of the posts!  Does that mean I talk too much?

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

Hello Ladies,

I am just popping in to say hey. I am on day 35 since my BMX and about 2 weeks away form chemo and sacred to death. Trying to read and stay informed very overwhelmed right now. There is so much to know and do to prepare and my doctors did not tell me anything.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

OG56 well isn't that dumb! Why didn't they do BOTH breasts while you were in there??? That is just poor financial management....you may have to have a left breast done now. Sheesh! Good luck!

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

3jaysmom - I've seen that w/ the "google" thing. Perhaps I am in a different place, as I am not worried about maintaining employment or otherwise keeping my cancer diagnosis and treatments a secret. I either hope to put useful information or personal experience out there or, barring that, to make people laugh. I tend to have inappropriately porous personal boundaries, anyway. In addition, I don't have my actual name out there. So I am fine if I pop up on google. Wondering if anyone else is squeaking when they walk after taking Tamoxifen for a few months, for example? Come talk to me. :) No problem.

Carrol2 - there are some great books out there that will help you get prepared. Let me know if you'd like authors and titles. I did not personally have chemo, but many of the ladies here did, and there are good ideas on the chemo threads to help you avoid much of the unpleasantness. I always hate being in the "middle area," waiting for something with time on my hands to imagine the worst, so hopefully it won't go too slowly for you.

• Meece

Barbe.  My insurance always gives approval for an MRI on one side only, but they do both sides, and insurance pays.  They must code it Buy one, get one free.

• elimar
    Good one, Meece.    ha ha ha ha Pictures, Images and Photos"
  • Meece

Elimar, your laughter is contagious!

• Meece

Elimar, your laughter is contagious!

• Meece

See?  So contagious I couldn't stop.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

• heymoose
    heymoose Member Posts: 682

Great pics of laughing.  I really needed a good one today. LOL!!!!! Thanks

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,900

3jaysmom--it may actually work in your favor to have the diagnosis "outed" because then your employer has to be super careful not to do anything that could be construed as discriminatory--cancer is a disability under the ADA!

• theresap60
    theresap60 Member Posts: 849
    Elimar - SAVI is a Breast Brachytherapy ... internal radiation.  Since I had a lumpectomy and was early stage, I was a candidate for it, after I told my radiation onc that I wanted it instead of the external radiation.  Instead of the balloon brachytherapy, the SAVI applicator looks like a wisk ... it's the size of a pencil when the surgeon puts it in, then it expands to the size of your lumpectomy cavity, then the radiation "seeds" are inserted twice a day for a week.  Each session lasts about 20 minutes.  No pain. You just have to be committed to having this thing sticking (the catheters from the SAVI) out of your breast for a week, and changing the dressings.  It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm glad I did it... so far. :-)  - Theresa
  • OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Well I passed my Mamo, but there is a 5 cm seroma and that is what is bugging me!  I explained to the tech that I didn't want my boob squished because I was sure I had a cyst or seroma and they listened, and did an ultrasound to confirm my suspicions, but dontcha know the tears still flowed because for a moment I was scared that they would come in the room and say they found "something" again!  Barbe both breasts have had MRI's but needed a new baseline after last big excisional biopsy.

Theresa, I did the Mamosite and am still glad I took that route, it was pretty new 2 years ago but I knew about it before BC and said if I ever got BC I would want that and unfortunetly the day came that I did.

Time for cheeto's and wine