MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,899

Elimar-I love the idea of cheetos in the stuffing! Now if only I could convince my mother to try that. Not likely, she uses her mother's recipe for stuffing and it always turns out sooooo good! Gram wrote the recipe down for me many years ago and it hangs on my fridge-it starts with fill a "largish bowl" with torn bread, add butter "the size of a walnut" and a cold boiled potato, add poulty seasoning "until the bread turns grey." There's more to it, of course, but those are my favorite parts. It's amazing how well the recipe works 2 generations later!

Susantm-I'm sorry you SIL had to go and make trouble during your celebration. Sounds like she's a needy, self-centered person. While you may have to let her live in your home, don't forget it is YOUR home. You don't have to put up with rude or hurtful behavior in your own home. Use this incident to set some ground rules. Maybe if she realizes she can't run your household she'll move out sooner.

Meece-sounds like a short celebration in your house! Maybe it will be funny in a year or two? Hope your DH gets better soon!

Leisaparis-sounds like the right little boy got sent to his room!

Raeinnz-for my family the typical Thanksgiving meal would include cranberry sauce (we argue over which is better, jellied or whole berry), squash rather than sweet potatos, and pies of pumpkin, mincemeat (if we have any), chocolate and apple. There's a bit of variation on the "traditional" dinner. As long as turkey, stuffing, gravy and pies are involved, it's traditional enough!

• nativemainer

One of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving is the "Day after Thanksgiving Sandwich" 

seal one slice of bread with mayo, layer turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, top with more mayo sealed bread, then drown in gravy.  I make this in a bowl and eat with a spoon!  

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748

mmmmmm.....leftovers...

I have plenty here too....it's too hard cooking for just 2 people...how do you make dessert for just 2?  Guess "someone" will have to eat it!  :)

Heading out in a couple of hours for treatment #4....(2 more to go)...at least I got to eat well yesterday...let's hope all goes smoothly since those leftovers aren't going to eat themselves!  Hubby leaves Monday for 10 days and he won't be here to help!  :)

Have a great Black Friday!  Hope those of you who braved the craziness of it all, got some good stuff!  I'm looking forward to "Silent Monday"...getting my stuff online this year with free shipping sound so nice...

peace and prayers,

Tori

DE COLORES! 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I knew I forgot something on that menu.  Cranberr sauce.  I happen to like the jellied type that comes in a can, but my mother makes my grandmother's recipe with fresh cranberries, oranges and aplles, and walnuts.  She also makes some for us non-walnut eaters.

• susantm
    susantm Member Posts: 71

This morning, sister-in-law is saying she left the room yesterday because she suddenly became physically ill and didn't want to bother anyone about it. Yeah, right. So there will be no discussion of what happened or why. Well, maybe it is best to just let it slide under the carpet and pretend nothing happened.

Off to grocery shop as soon as I grab a little breakfast. Hope everyone has a good day!

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136

Just finished my Day After Thanksgiving Sandwich - mine includes mayo, turkey, salt, pepper & a little cranberry sauce.  Yum!  Our meal is pretty traditional except that we live in the South and have cornbread dressing instead of stuffing - and my mom's is the best! 

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

Hi guys ! it,s a big clebration there. I can imagine how you all are enjoying  on the Thanksgiving Day.I  never celebrate Thanksgiving day but on going through the preparations you all have made, I got an inspiration to celebrate by cooking Thanksgiving food today. I made sandwich without fat with bread spread for lunch and I cooked rice with cumin seeds,steam cooked lady,s finger with some fresh peas and Indian bread (chapatti) as well as tomato salsa( chutni) for 4 persons only. No fish,meat purely veg for dinner. Though it was very simple, everyone  enjoyed the preparation.Thanks guys, atleast we can have dinner together in the name of Thanksging.I never make stuff chicken/turkey, pumpkin pie...it sounds to be very tasty, I think I must try it.  Could you pl. post the receipe. I would be grateful to you all. thanx.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

Raj...Here's an easy Pumpkin Pie recipe for you. Now you can either buy a pie crust or make your own.

Ingredients:

1 can (30 oz.)Libby's Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix

2/3 cup (5fl.oz.can) Carnation Evaporated Milk

2 Large eggs, beaten

1 unbaked 9 inch (4 cup volume) deep dish pie shell

Directions:

Mix pie mix, milk & eggs in large bowl. Pour into pie shell

Bake in preheated 425*F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to

350*F; bake 50 - 60 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.

Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

Enjoy Raj. This is the simplest recipe there is. You can also make from scratch with real pumpkin, but it takes a lot longer and a different recipe.

• leisaparis

Raj:

Unfortunately my family likes the stove top stuffing better than homemade.I however, prefer the homemade. Reminds me of when I was a kid and my folks fixed Thanksgiving on the old wood stove. This is how we cook our turkey though, there are different variations of course. Everyone was showed a different way depending on what part of the country you are from.

Ingredients:

1 turkey (any size you prefer), Thawed out and giblets removed.Rinsed & patted dry. We usually cook a 20 pound turkey, it feed @ 10 adults & 6 kids. This is along with all the other fixings. If I'm just cooking for 2, I usually use a 10 lb. turkey. This gives us leftovers.

butter ( 1 stick )

1/2 cup to 1 cup water (depending on what size bird you use). You need enough water to make sure the bottom of the bird doesn't stick and to use for basting.

DIRECTIONS:

Use a pan big enough to put the turkey in. I fold the wings under. It gives the bird some stability. Add the water to pan. Cut the butter into thin slices. Place all over the bird. Add salt & pepper if you like. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350*F ( 1/2 hour cooking time to every 3 pounds of bird ). I usually cook a 10 lb. bird for 4 hours. Last hour I take the foil off to brown the bird. I also pull the bird out every hour and baste. I punch holes into it and inject water/butter mixture. This makes it really, really moist. I don't usually like white meat, but this makes it nice and moist.

Some birds come with pop up timers. I usually still leave it in @ 1/2 hour after the popper has come up. I want to know that my bird is really done. I have also cooked wild turkey and this method works well on both.

Hope you enjoy. I like left over turkey for lots of things. Making sandwiches, pot pie, turkey and noodles. I could go on & on, but I wont.

• Raj20

leisaparis ! how nice of you! It sounds to be easy. I will try both on sunday and let you know how it taste. Thank you so much. This is superb .. I have no words. big hugs.. my dear.

• leisaparis

You are so very welcome. Good eating to you.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

raj, if you start with a fresh pumpkin, or if you get plain canned pumpkin (that is not "Pumpkin Pie Mix,") then you will need to use your own spices in it.  The main one for pumpin pie is cinnamon, but you can blend a little of any of these in with it:  nutmeg, ginger, clove, allspice. 

The traditional herb for the turkey is sage.  You can also use thyme, rosemary, parsley, maybe terragon.  Make a blend out of what you like and rub that on the turkey.  (Here, we can buy a spice blend called "Poulty Seasoning."  Maybe you have that?)

Also, the turkey needs to have "stuffing" inside it.  We use bread cubes and a wide variety of chopped ingredients (like onions, parsley, celery,) but I'm sure you could come up with a rice mixture that would also work very well. Put more of the turkey spices in it too.

• Raj20

elimor .. ! we have varieties of pumpkins but I prefer yellow & matured. No problem of herbs, except terragon. Is this something like oregano ? I will try  Pumpkin Pie as my grandaughter will love it. Turkey/chicken stuff - I think I can do it . Thanx elimor. I will never forget the support which you all have given me. I feel proud of being one of BC forum. This thread is the best  as we can easily become to stay away from our own BC problem.

• leisaparis

A lot of different ways to cook it like I said. Hopefully you get a lot more ideas. You don't have to stuff the turkey if you don't want, but can if you like it that way. It's not mandatory. Some like it some don't. It's all what you prefer. Have fun experimenting.

• leisaparis

I personally don't use a rub on my turkey, but that's just how we like it. You would probably prefer a rub. Just by some of your other food postings. Have fun.

• Raj20

Leisaparis, thanx once again. You are right. I can experiment  with a new taste as I am going to make stuff chicken ..obviously my taste will be different from yours .may be because of first time on trial. gradually I can do it properly provided if I can get all the required ingredients over here.

• leisaparis

Good Luck!

• nativemainer
    Meece-my mother has started making a cranberry sauce that is so yummy-she grinds up cranberries and oranges, adds sugar to taste, packages and freezes. That's the entire recipe! Everything in about equal proportions. Oranges are peel and all. So easy!

Susantm-your SIL needs to grow up. Have you considered charging her rent? Not money, as she is not in a place do pay, but in work around the house. As long as she is living there she fixes 3 dinners a week, vacuums a couple times a week, runs errands, whatever would make your life easier. There's no such thing as a free ride in life, after all!

Dawney-I think I read somewhere that stuffing was an East coast term, while the same thing is called dressing in the western half of the country-is that right? I love cornbred, cornbred stuffing/dressing sounds very, very yummy!

Rajkumari-I'm so happy you joined our Thanksgiving feasting! Thanksgiving is really about taking time to reflect on the blessings in our lives, and being with family to share a meal. What we actually eat is really secondary, although certain foods quickly become traditions in many families. I love your veggie version of the traditional meal! You might like the cranberry sauce recipe I gave to Meece earlier in this post-you can add whatever spices you like for variation.

Elimar-good point about rice stuffing-I once had a rice pilaf stuffing at a banquet, it was very, very good! I'm not sure what it was spiced with, but it had a very full bodied taste that complemented the turkey very nicely.

My family is having our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow at my mother's. I am so looking forward to a meal that I don't have to cook myself! That's one of the drawbacks of being single, if I don't cook, no one does. If I don't clean up, it doesn't get done. Oh, well. I am looking forward to bringing lots of leftovers home, too!

• elimar

This did not quite coincide with the 200-page milestone, but I just noticed that this thread has had over 100,000 views.  Well, 101,557 to be exact.  Wow!   I mean...

• Hello Elimar and other ladies,   Although I moved on to the "older" thread I think of you middle aged women often and hope all is going well with you and that everyone had a good Thanksgiving.  I am cooking tomorrow at my Dad's since I really wanted to do nothing on Thursday so that is what I did.  I came today with the one dog and my husband is coming tomorrow with the other two....yes, we now have THREE dogs....about two too many.  Tonight in getting things together, discovered that there is no roasting pan here or pan large enough to hold the turkey so seriously doubt if husband would be able to locate roaster (some things never change) which means I will be at Wallmart or somewhere tomorrow AM buying one.  I am calling this chemo brain, not old age.  I hope you are all doing well and assume you are still having your cheetos chats...is that perfect man we made still around?   I became acquainted with BarbA through the message boards and actually spent some time with her in Florida early this month and will be seeing her again next weekend when a group of us go to the Outer Banks.  She was looking for an orange dress for your last party so I knew the Cheetos were still in full swing.  Let me know if you are having a holdiay party and I will send something via post for it since I still love to cook.  You all take care,    Marybe, still Stage lV and still ticking

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

I read this thread the day after traditional Thanksgiving and see all the recipe sharing and culture sharing and just stop and do an ... aaahhhhh .... moment.  What an awesome group this is to share such things. Not just recipes and not just treatment stories and not just ... well, anything!  Raj, I hope you enjoy some of our traditional foods along with your awesome recipes. I have so much love in my heart for you all, and for that, I am very very thankful.

• elimar

Hey, Marybe, always good to get an update from you.  We did hear (and see pictures) of you meeting up with BarbA in Florida.  Yeah, the Cheetos are still flowing like...uh, Cheetos around here. As for perfect man, someone ran off with him but no one has fessed up.  In that department, around the time we hit 200 pages, the Middies decided "more is more' and posted every available pic to be found online of shirtless hunks galore.  Other than all that, it's business as usual...new women trying to wrap their heads around new Dx and just get done with the active treatments as unscathed as possible.  Samo ol', same ol', and no cure in sight!

• dawney
    dawney Member Posts: 136

Native Mainer - I think some people use the two interchangably but stuffing and dressing are different.  I believe stuffing is bread based, like some kind of loaf bread and dressing is cornbread based (along with onions, celery, eggs, salt, pepper, and other spices).  All I know is I had stuffing once and it wasn't to my liking.  Also, not many people actually stuff their turkey's in the South.  Dressing is a side item and served with gravy made from the giblets.  Hmmm, might have to have some more of mom's dressing.

I love that we can share things that aren't cancer related!  Good Night Everyone.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

raj, you're so grateful for the recipes, i love that you'll change them around to fit your part of the world.. but, you eat healthier there, than we do here, so im not so sure there's that much to be grateful for.  im just kiddig, really.. i cant add anything, we all do mostly the same thing.. im a real sugar addict; so i'll tell you a yumy reciepe, but know its' a bad one..

you start with yams, and you boil them till thy're soft. i cut them into small peices, put butter on top of that, add lotss of brown sugar this is the bad part, what you put on top of those healthy yams.. then, i pour pancake syrup on top, just in case it ddoesn't have enuff sugar to put everyone in a coma..!! bake it at 350 for 20, 30 min just till its' all gooey and bubbly. at the very end, some ple add marshmallows. but we don't..too sweet  lol...3jays

• nativemainer

dawney--thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize that the base for stuffing and dressing were different. Learning about these culinary differences is so interesting! 

rajkumari--I think I'm going to try adapting your adaptation using the leftovers from today's feast. (My family is celebrating today as my brother worked the holiday.)  I like to try vegetarian foods and am trying to get more veggies in my daily diet, and this is a fun way to do that.  I'm not fond of hot spices like cumin and curry, so I'm going to try garlic and ginger instead.  So many possibilities! Thanks for sharing your recipe.  

3jays--we do a similar recipe with squash here in Maine--cut in half, scoop out the seeds, fill the cavity with brown sugar and/or maple syrup, bake until soft, scoop out of the shell and mash with butter, put in a casserole, cover with marshmallows and pop back into the oven until bubbly.  

OK, ladies, here's another question:  there is an ongoing difference of opinion in my family about making whipped cream.  Half of us like to put a little vanilla extract in, the other half says absolutely not.  Is this a quirk unique to my family or is this a larger culinary disagreement?  

• zogo
    zogo Member Posts: 19,606

NM, We add vanilla and a tiny bit of powdered sugar to our whipped cream.  'Tis the season. Mmmm

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Definitely the vanilla!!!

• Meece

I always put stuffing in the turkey.  For decades I have taken cheese cloth and made a pouch to put the stuffing in.  You then just pull out the pouch and all the stuffing comes out of the bird.  Now I think Reynolds makes the "Quick Unstuffer" which is a cheese cloth bag.  It works perfectly and I would recommend it to anyone stuffing a bird.

• Meece

By the way, they way I was taught, stuffing is stuffed in the bird and absorbs the juices from the meat, and dressing is made outside the turkey.  I don't know if it is correct, but that is what we were taught to call each.  My grandmother made both, because some of the family did not like the "wet stuff".

• Meece

7 year cancerversary today.  Looking forward to many more.