MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

I couldn't wait to get to this thread this morning to see the response around here.

LOLOLOLOL

Elimar shooting lightening bolts and an epistle of an explanation to get the newbies up to date on proper etiquette around our dear hearted den-mother.

Almost as good as watching fireworks in real life.

[my suggestion: make any w------ references in this foreign language: LOL]

Having instigated lightening bolts on more than one occasion myself, I went to bed last night chuckling to myself. Teee heee heeee heeee!!!

It's Friday. I think we should have a party!

No references to the w------ just a great big man-dipped-in-chocolate sorta of Friday wingding. You know pull out all the stops: cheetos, wine-in-a-box, fashion, glittering do-dads. The whole shabang.

Some of our brand new newbies have yet to experience an eye candy, Middie party!!!!

Let the fun begin!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Elimar, I didn't pick up my toys and go play elsewhere!  I only started the weather thread because I hate to think that something off topic would take over someone else's thread.  I don't want the wrong topic to put people off so they don't come visit here anymore!

On with the party!!!

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Birthday celebration at work today, brought spinach dip, was a hit.  I'd take picture and post it but cann't do it at work.

TGIF, I am half way through rads.

• Meece

Congrats, mjb, that makes you feel good, doesn't it?

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

• Meece

Remember back when...

• Meece

We could have a dress up party?!!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

My mom had a pair of high heels that were silver but the part across the toes was see thru-true Cinderella slippers!  I loved to wear those & pretend......probably why my "knight in shining armor" fantasies were so strong & reality men ended up soooooooooooooooooooo weak!   

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

One of these days, I'll have to type all that Armenian (or is it Turkish) into an online translation. 

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Hi ElimarLaughing 

Armenian is too difficult because of the alphabet letters.

We were posting Turkish even Meece participatedWink

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

LOL ... I came to this thread long after joining BCO chat, so I missed the whole weather issue.  I just know I love hanging with my girlfriends, so here's my contrib for today.  Hugs and love buddies

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Still working out the images, trying to bring cupcakes to the party before Friday ends in NY.

Cannot believe it but I am 52 and have cramps today,I thought I was done with this....well I guess I will be once the chemo starts.

Have a great weekend.

Jean
  • JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

On second thought we deserve virtual champagne - we are worth it!

Jean
  • j3239
    j3239 Member Posts: 1

Breast cancer has finally touched my inner circle of loved ones. My mother in law (a vivacious 66 year old who can run circles around me) was just diagnosed with stage 2b breast cancer. She is scheduled for a mastectomy in 2 weeks. I was hoping some of you brave survivors who have walked that path could give me advice on how I can best be there for her (ie) some of the struggles you encountered that you never would have thought of. My husband and I plan on flying out to be there for her during and after surgery, as well as during the time any chemo or radiation treatments will be done. Thank you for any helpful advice you might have to share.

Sincerely,

j3239 (scared & concerned daughter-in-law)

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

J3239 sent you a PM

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Did I hear someone talkin' about me?   You want to what?!

Have fun trying to squeeze me!!!!

• Meece

I used to have a pair of emus.  Fred and Ethel. They lay blackish green eggs and make a low thumping noise in their throat, each quill has two feathers coming out of it.  Just some interesting info on emu.

• jo1955

Chrissy - What is that?  I'm not sure I want to get close to it.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Ostrich? Emu?

• jo1955

What ever it is, it sure is ugly.  Not something I would want to get close to.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

I think we should get a BCO cruise together and run around topless:)

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Kind of scarey idea many of us chose not to reconstruct.

• abender
    abender Member Posts: 1

Hello Scared and concerned daughter-in-law. This is my first post so I hope I do it correctly. But you touched my heart because my children also felt this way. They did not want to hover but wanted to be useful and supportive. They also have busy lives and I did not want them to always feel the need to be taking care of me. Helping her to navigate the many doctors and care-givers she will encounter at the hospital or center now and later was very helpful to me, as I had never been in a hospital before except to give birth. Finding a nurse navigator that she is comfortable with calling, talking to and asking questions will give you peace-of-mind when you are not there to help. She is blessed to have your love and support.

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297

j3239--your Mother in law is very blessed to have you there to help her out!  I agree with what abender said--just helping her navigate all the appts. and docs and such is really important.  Make sure she is comfortable with her surgeon and docs, esp. her oncologist, who usually directs most of the care (although sometimes the surgeon or radiation doc will do that).  My mx was a fairly easy surgery.  She will have a drain to take care of, and will need to do exercises to keep her arm and shoulder loosened up.  Even now, 8 months after my surgery, my shoulder still stiffens up if I don't stretch it daily.

Find a thread for women having surgery this month, then you can all go through this together. 

take care!

Tina

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

There's a website, called Lotsa Helping Hands, where you can create a "community" and set up a caledar with needs.  People in the community can sign up to take care of the needs, and it will show on the calendar.  The volunteer even gets a reminder e-mail.  The site is at

http://bidmc.lotsahelpinghands.com/caregiving/home/ 

Sorry I don't know how to make it a link.  I used this after my reconstruction, and it was a God send.  I could keep everyone up to date easily, my freinds and family could easily see what I needed for help and sign up for the things that they could do on days they were available.  It is an amazing service, and all for free!  

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

wow NM-wish I'd know about that website in '09!

• marlegal

j3239 another thing I'd recommend is getting her to visit this site and join the discussion boards.  If she can use a computer at all, it's not hard to navigate BCO.  This site was a lifesaver to me during treatment and even now, 5 years later.  There is no question we won't try to answer, and particularly on this thread, we try to have fun too.  We even have cyber parties every now and then and they're a blast :)   I mean, who doesn't like a good party now and then, right?  I wish your MIL a successful journey and kudos to you for being proactive about how to best lend support.

• marlegal
    Barb, I can easily pick you out in that picture, because I am sooooo fortunate to have met all four of the other ladies in person!  I miss my Florida buddies :)  (I met them at various annual gatherings of BCO chatters by the way!)
  • chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hi all, the birds are Emu.  Actually, their feathers are downy soft and quite fluffy.  That particular bird is a pet and you can get real close to it but it's not recommended with the wild ones as they can rip you open with a large spur on their feet.  This particular bird follows you around like a dog.

• susantm
    susantm Member Posts: 71

I finished rads last week and spent three days out of town for job training this week. Nobody there knew I had just been through breast cancer, and it was refreshing just to be a regular person like everyone else. The only time I even thought about cancer was morning and night when I put on the Miaderm. (Breast is getting closer to normal color every day!)

Much as I appreciate all the concern shown by family and friends, it can get tiring to see those concerned eyes when someone asks, "How are you doing?" or to have people gently touch my arm and say, "You look so good!" as if I should look like I'm going to drop dead any minute. I enjoyed a few days of being normal!Smile