MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

elimar - I had both - tattoos and sharpie markers.  Maybe some overkill?

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

I also had both but it totally depended on who the technician was that day...one of the tattoos didn't turn out so they had to do sharpies...they are tiny and look about the same as all my other freckles so not paying them any mind..ni fact, I am thinking that when I get my mammogram and all is said and done, I will get a real tatoo to celebtrate the success! (It is what I did when I left a bad relationship in y 20's and when I turned 30..time for a third tiny tattoo that I CHOOSE!...take back thepower!

Barbe...you are right...get 'er done....

Jo, think I will throw 'feel sorry for Sandee days' in the fire!

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Lucky you, Sandee. I have light brown freckles (I am blonde) and these are black and (to me) very noticable.

• jo1955

Sandee - I have thrown some of those days in the fire too.  Probably will have many more.

• Sandeeonherown

Good to know I am not the only one....decided to work my way through my 'feeling sorry for myself' day and am going to go and see a movie with a friend this evening...back o work tomorrow which will also help..

BarbaraA- bummer ...I think it could also be because I am still quite busty so the only one I can actually see is the one between my breasts...and it is nestled in there pretty god so not so noticable...don't look at my own side so can't see that one. I think I prefer the tattoos to their not linging me up right every time though. Because of the tats, my timeon the table was minimal as they were able to line me up very efficiently and rarely had to add marker to the mix...only the technicians who did not see me often used marker. My regular folks just used the tattoos.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

glad to ee you PM

had both tattoos & sharpie marks everytime, was told in advance about almost all the stuff.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

My rad techs used markers instead of tattoos, but they wrote on this extremely sticky tape and then put the "X" where the tattoo would have been. So although I had to wear the same crummy bra every day in case some of the marker smeared off, I was never scribbled on or tattooed.

My RO was kind and brilliant - doctors from all over the state send their patients to him. I didn't even know it when I chose him, but since he and my popular onc work so closely together I just got lucky with him. Plus, he has the latest and greatest radiation equipment, called an IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy), which works in the coolest way. The beams are directed at the tumor location via hundreds of simultaneous beams coming at you from hundreds of directions so it basically encircles the tumor area without touching the healthy tissue. I just lucked into that, too.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

You are indeed lucky, HnS. I really dislike my RO intensely as he is so arrogant and patronizing. I finally (before tx commenced) said to him "Look, you don't have to like me and I don't like you but you are excellent so let's just get this treatment done and be done with each other." Unfortunately, I have been trying to lose him and he keeps finding reasons to have me come back. I am severing the tie because I don't freaking need 5 doctors. The BS is 'as needed', the onc is every 3 months and the RO wants to be every 3 months but I am gonna push back hard. Don't like the dude.

• jo1955

heartnsoul76 - Sounds like you hit the jackpot.  The center I went to supossedly had the best equipment in TX after MD Anderson.  I did ask about IMRT and he did not seem to know too much about it.  He knows how to do the Mammosite but says the technology is still too new and instead of giving the the pros of doing it - he gives you the cons.  Almost like he is trying to talk you about of it before you get started.  Any accelerated radiation, he can not do.  But yet in their advertising, they call themselves a "world class" cancer center.  What world?

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Barb - your RO sounds like a PITA and every 3 months sounds like too much. Jeez, what a pain! And once again you have to wonder, how much of it is necessary and how much of it is income. If they're nice and helpful and informative, I will go see them according to their schedule, but otherwise, I would be balking! I don't know what my RO's schedule is yet - I see him this week for my 1st follow-up.

Jo - I can't wait until you talk to that RO and tell him how incompetent he is! So he didn't do the Mammosite, either? I thought he tried it and it didn't work for some reason. Any way, I remember he made you miserable the whole time! He needs to practice more on his "practice". It doesn't sound like he's trying too hard to keep up with the changes.

• jo1955

heartnsoul - He did try the Mammosite but we could not get the balloon to fit right.  Seemed like his attitude really tookk a nose dive after that.  So glad I don't have to see him again.  I will call this week about the lung issues but will refuse an appt.  

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    Annette, I think (hope it's not just the two of us???) we all have those superstitions ... if I don't do this, I won't have a recurrence.  If I deny myself this, I'll get something good in return.  Why the hell do we do that? Glad you enjoyed your day, and hope you have many more of them in the future.  Now back to reading and posting :)
  • marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Barbara, I liked my rads onc ok, but once done, just didn't see the need for every 3 months after the first 3 or 4 visits.  I agree - 5 docs was enough!  I asked my medical onc if she thought that would be a problem and she said no, so I just stopped going to rad onc.  I had tats (explained to me ahead of time) and sharpees, but team was excellent at describing everything - that is, except the fact that I'd continue to have breast changes for 4 years.  To newbies, be prepared in case that happens with you too .. it's not uncommon.  I have a very hard area in the section where I had boosts and that breast shrunk considerably.  My surgeon has done a few different types of biopsies in that area just to be sure nothing is hidden.

PMom, sooo good to see your post.  We miss you.  Prayers continue for good treatment results.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

You too Marlegal...it is good to know we aren't alone in so many of these weirdnesses. Some of mine I cannot attribute to BC though, I have always been weird. Case in point, if I am speeding a bit or something like that, I close my eyes if I drive by a police car. I can't see them and thus, they cannot see me! It stands to reason BC would just cause more wackiness to flower!

• Sandeeonherown

You close your eyes? Geez..hope your hands are still on the wheel at least:)

the idea of my breast continuing to change for 4 years freaks me out, truth be told...I know it will change this year as it heals and all that stuff...but 4 years???? The past two days, my breast has been sore...no idea why really...storm coming? Maybe barometric pressure has changed my old peri-menopause headaches into breast aches?

• jo1955

Can't imagine how much more the boob can change and why over a period of 4 years.  That freaks me out too.  Figured there would be some changes after surgery and rads but what else is there?

• Sandeeonherown

More shrinkage? if that is the case, at what point do they offer reconstructive surgery to those of us who have had lumpectomies to even things up? Or don't they? god......

• jo1955
    The poor girl is half the size of her sister on the other side.  Don't know if I can afford any more shrinkage.  Sandee - Even some kind of a filler would do.
  • Sandeeonherown

Jo, I am thinking making the other one smaller....no point being a 34DDD at 4'10"! seriously...I prefer the new look but would prefer if the nipples were facing the same direction. I always wondered when I saw women with boob jobs the size of my natural ones why they would want to...I have never understood but now I am just grateful that I had enough to be able to say to my surgeon "Take enough so that it never ever comes back!" while knowing that I would still have plenty....

• jo1955

I can understand your point.  I am a 36B but look much smaller.  I could use a little help.   

• Sandeeonherown

As I have said to my galpals for decades, I would happily give you some if I could! Don't think anyone wants the part I had cut out of me though! (How is that for some dark humour at bedtime!)

• jo1955

Sandee - You can send some my way.

• Sandeeonherown

consider it done Jo, consider it done!

• jo1955

Thanks!

• applejax
    applejax Member Posts: 1

Hi im a newbie here been reading your thread for a while im curious about the tattoo ill start rads soon will meet with ro this mon why would a person get the tattoo if they can use a sharpie i dont want the tattoo

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132

Hey ladies according to my BS the door is open for recon at anytime by law.

I am only beginning this trail but I thought it was nice to know.

Jean

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

brooks...I didn't have any tattoos just markers.

I sent you a Private Message about Posting Limits.

Sheila

• jo1955

brooks6331 - Welcome!  Each rad center does the markings differently.  Some with and without tattoos.  They are really small and look like freckles.  Mine are not noticeable and I have to search to find them.  The tattoos do make it easier for the techs to get you lined up everyday.  I had both tattoos and markings.  I was told the techs only needed the tatts but the marks made it even easier.  

You do have the right to refuse the tattoos.  There are several different methods that can be used..  You will need to talk to your RO about this and at least find out where the tattoos would be placed before making a final decision.

If you haven't already, you may want to join the Feb rads thread.  You can get alot of your questions answered there as well as a lot of support. 

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

welcome brooks! Hope we can help in any way to make the trail a little easier...

• Sandeeonherown

JeanH - thanks for the info on reconstructino at any time...i meet the radiologist in march and plan on asking him...he will likely put me int he surgeons's dept. but I now they will not want to do antyhing unttil the mammogram when they check it all out and ensure there is no lobular breast cancer lurking inthe shadows of my right boob...505 chance lobluar cancer will find in bth boobs...and even thought it was just ;lobular features'...it has me anxiously awaiting june,,,