MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110
    NM ~ Power to the people! Yay! That Rads onc won't know what hits him in Sept. Laughing
  • Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

elimar,  the Yahoo news on "some breast cancer patients can skip node surgery" is good news  for new patients  which  will be benefitted  not only to the fresh ones but for us  too. I will pass it to my colleque who will be  operated  in May,2011. Now she  is under chemo..

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

NativeMainer - what a relief! And great news for you - now you can really sock-it-to-him!

I was lucky in that my surgeon only did the SNB anyway. But I'm thrilled to see they may be getting rid of the whole axillary node thing - it will probably take a while before the idea spreads across the country, but with this article new patients can now ask about it. Score 1 for actual progress!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

NOw if we can just get someone to look at the "boost" part of radiation and get rid of it.  Boosting was important when surgeons did not do more surgery after the lumpectomy if there were "dirty" margins.  With clean margins, the boost isn't necessary, but is anyone talking about stopping it?  NOPE.  Gotta get the $$ for those 5 extra treatments!  

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

NativeMariner - You got that right on the boosts.  I got a EOB today and just the remark for the boost was $2395.  Can't imagine what the 5 boosts were.  What is the need if the margins are clear?  

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Hi girls Appointment not so good stage 2 breast cancer.  All the test have not come back yet but will let everyone know when I get the report sent to me.  I have to get an MRI on the 16th, oncologist on the 21st and back to him on the 28 of FEB.  Why do they always spread things out so much.  I said to myself let's get this thing on the road.  I will need you all more than ever.  I am sure I will have many questions. Thanks

• jo1955

Lynniea - Oh Sweetie - My heart goes out to you.  So sorry to hear about the diagnosis.  It is difficult when things can't move faster.  For me, things moved too quickly and my head did not stop spinning for quite some time.  Looking back, I wish things had been spread out more. I would have had some time to make some different choices.  Don't get me wrong, I don't have any regrets - it was just information overload.

Please keep us posted and ask all the questions you want.  

(((HUGS))) 

edited to let you know you can PM me anytime. 

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

So, that's some interesting info NM-I didn't know that about the history of boosts, etc.  Kinda thing that makes you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?"

• Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362

hi there, I thought I would join you on this forum. Sounds like the place to be.

take good care,

Teklya

• jo1955
    Teklya - Welcome to the Middies - so glad to have you here.  This is a fun bunch.  Lots of caring and support too.
  • jo1955

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Sorry that it was not better news for you, lynniea.  Good to start a collection of the test reports for yourself.  Stage II?  Was that based on the size of the tumor?  Was it IDC or ILC?  (Gee, now you will get to add that Dx line onto your posts...whoop-dee-doo.)  
  • JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132

Lynniea,

so sorry your news was bad, i felt the same way that everything was dragged out but it actually gave me time to read and digest the information after the initial diagnosis whirlwind.

Teklya, welcome. It is a caring and supportive group.

I don't have much info on the rads phase yet...i know they follow Chemo, do you know you are getting boosts in the beginning or are they an add on "surprise" at the end?

Today was the first day I felt good all day since Chemo, hope the feeling stays. It has not been as bad as I feared but nice to feel good all day anyway.

Nite all,

Jean

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

lynneia: i'm so sorry to hear your really one of us. i hate the BEAST!!just know you're in the midst of some awesome ladies, and what we can't do alone , we CAN do together!! i'm stage IIB; and had an ER+ cancer,very aggressive. they spaced everything out for me, also. and, at first, they staged me wrong. stage IV: i was really scared! but all the testing was good, we found out where i really was; and then, i had time to decide what i wanted. i had an aggressive cancer, so i made aggressive decisions. and, i've not regretted them. what i have to deal with, yes. the decisions.. never.. i just have to look back, and i know i did the rigght thing... ithelps, bc i got an excellent surgeon; who didn't like 1 decision i made, but did a great job doing my wishes.. and it turned out i was right!!

having problems and getting fired by my 1st onco; taught me to not give up; till i got what i needed. i got the GREATEST onco doc in the world, IMHO.. so, it turned out fine. as long as you trust the team, you'll do fine, no matter what the BEAST thinks she can do!!!

please, come here for support and any questions you have; one of us may not know, but collectively, we've seen, and done it all! remember, girl.. you don't ever have to do this alone...... 3jays

• 3jaysmom
    this is me..with my red hair i DID have, doin the happy dance!!!
  • 3jaysmom

im dancin, cause my PET scan said NED.. no evidence detected... no tumours, no bone mets .. and the BEAST needs to stay far away, for a long time and LEAVE ME ALONE!!

so, they say MS is causing the pain. increase pain meds.. not.. go get it evaluated.. yes..I'M so happy, i could just sh***!!  thanks for all your prayers, and holding my hand whike i waited, scared, but not alone!!!       3jays

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

YAY 3jays!

• 3jaysmom
    thanks, Eph.. you got me all confused between your names. i think i've figured it out  LOL anyway, more oics of fish and fin on fb; if ya wanna ck em out. thanks for all your love and support here.
  • barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

{{{3JAYS}}} YAY!!

RE: rads, I insisted my RO do the Canadian Protocol. 16 tx at a higher dose. He, of course, wanted to do the 33. I won and he probably jacked up the per tx price to my insurance co. but at least I only had to do 16.

• thefuzzylemon
    thefuzzylemon Member Posts: 631

Hello all!!!   Thank you for the warm invites!!  WOW!!  I've had a few issues posting replies ....so here's a shot in the dark ... testing testing testing :)

HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS :)

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Linnea, having the tests spread out gives the docs an opportunity to see what is going on. It also gives you a chance to catch your breath! I, too, was a member of this board before I was dianosed, so I had a support team in place, and now you do too! Hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

My husband just called he heard about the new  info about leaving the lymphnodes durring MX surgery.My reply was I can't even remember how many she took out of me.He said I remember 13 were removed.I think I just wanted to forget about that whole year.

• jo1955

3jaysmom - Yay!  ((HUGS))

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Linnea Im so sorry to hear what going on.  You have found a great group of gals to hang with and get you through this.  The waiting is the hardest I know.  But it does give you a chance to have as much info as you can get to help you. 

3jaysmom CONGRATS!!!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

linnea so sorry about your news but you are in a great place for support.  These ladies are great!

• ReginaR
    ReginaR Member Posts: 97

Just wanted to check in this morning & let you guys know I was thinking of all you middles! So much going on with each of you! Your all in my thoughts & prayers {{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

Hope everyone has stay safe in the snow!

Can't belive you gals from texas had the icy/snow. my Aunt from Waco got delayed comming in last week cause of the unexpected weather you texans had! Hope you all survrived the driving in that stuff!  Thinking of all of you, stay safe & warm!!

Hope you all have a great weekend! Love ya, GinaKiss

• SHAZBERNJESS
    SHAZBERNJESS Member Posts: 7

HI I AM NEW TO THIS JUST NEED SOMEONE TO HELP ME, REALY WORRID,I STOPPED TAMOXIFEN 4 MONTHS AGO AFTER FIVE YRS. EVERY THING WAS GOING WELL AND THEN I HAVE HAD 4 LIGHT CYCLE OF BLEEDING,WENT TO DR AND HAVE HAD A ULTRASOUND AND SHOWS A THICKENED INHOMOGENEOUS LESION WITHIN THE ENDOMETRIUM OF 17 I HAD THIS DONE 2 YRS AGO AND IT WAS 10 I HAVE TO GO TO SEE A CONSULTANT ON MONDAY REALY WORRID HELP.

• elimar

Happy to hear your good news, 3jaysmom!!!

happy dance

• elimar
    SHAZZBERNJESS,  There are a lot of us on Tamox here, but who have not done our five years yet.  I think you might get more answers if you type in some keywords like, "endometrial thickening" + "tamoxifen" since there might be a thread or two just about that.  I do hope you will continue on this thread also, as many of us run the risk of the same side effect and so we DO have a lot of interest in your story.  I think the thickening is a concern, but not necessarily something malignant.  So, hoping it is a B9 condition and no procedures needed.  You might ask if the thickening could decrease on its own now that you've stopped the Tamox?  Let us know
  • NotAfraid
    NotAfraid Member Posts: 12

I've been posting mainly in the DIEP thread about my on-going saga of getting a PS approved by my insurance who can do DIEP.  I'm frustrated beyond belief and have become very confused about which direction I should go in,  I just love how it is the Doctors who aren't making the decisions any long, but someone up in an office with a red pen saying "approved" or "denied".  The fact that you can't talk to this person drive me batshyt crazy!  Between that and the "used car salesman" PS I went to yesterday afternoon, I may just lose my mind.