Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

I have my heart ECHO tomorrow.  Hope not to many more test to be done.  On the 9th port and another biopsy done.  I am praying that one is clean also.  I know God can keep it clean. Good night all.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Yes benadryl interacts with tamoxifen

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Just a comment about letting your caregivers know what you are taking.

This week my mother was hospitalized.  When they asked what meds she was taking you could tell it was taxing her memory.  She told me that a complete list was at here home on her computer.  I went there, printed it and brought it back to the hospital.  The list was complete with dosages and times, and a section for OTC items she was taking.  Hurray for Mom!!!

I tell you this, because we should all have something like this for our family to reference.  I think it might have been nice to have it with her, but we got it.  DH has asked me to print up his meds list on a business card sized paper so he can have it in his wallet.  I think this is a great idea, because how many times have you had brain-fade and not been able to remember the name or mg of dosage.  It's a lot easier than putting all your meds in a bag and bringing them in.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Lynn - Good luck on the ECHO today.

Meece - That is an excellent idea.  I never bring my back of meds.  I usually write everything on a card and take that. 

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

I agree Meece.  I do this for my meds (including OTC) and for my family and personal history - especially useful since Chemo brain is affecting my memory.  Much easier than bringing everything in. 

As a professional, when I did visiting nursing, the patients who had their meds listed on a paper made it so much easier for me to get through the health history and it made the patients happier because the time it took to do the history was decreased significantly, also I didn't have to ask so many redundant questions!

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

Jean and Lynniea - I'll be thinking of you both today!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I told DH I will make a card for all my prior surgeries since the list is longer than they usually give you space to write.

• Sherryc

Meece I did this when I was going through testing for bc.  Everyone wanted the same info and I got tired of writing it out so I put it on the computer and I keep it in my wallet.  Now when I go the doctor I just give them my sheet and they make a copy.  I have all current meds and surgeries  listed on it.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I need to computerize mine too.  I am tired of writing it, so love the idea of just handing them a separate sheet and writing "see attached."

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145

i just did this too.  I've had 5 tests in the same "out patient" radiation department and had to complete the same damn forms each time. i was able to hand them the list this time and they were ecstatic and i didn't have carpel tunnel syndrome.

• carol6026
    carol6026 Member Posts: 20

Haven't been on in awhile. To busy with family and working, so I hope all you ladies are doing well. I finally got a date for my surgery. I will be having a double mastectomy on the 25th of March. Scared as hell, but cannot wait to get it over with.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

my prayers have been with you today, lynn. a p;an is comforting to have..

I LOVE PINK!! she's been a fav for awhile, as old as I am. have thought of doing my hair like hers when it was short. am not young, nor slim, tried the haircut. didn't look great, sure wasn't doing the pink, then. now, it at least combs back... if i lost 50 lbs, id do it. but that would presuppose a diet, which im no where ready for. ive just started to be able to eat regularly, after chemo..{{{{{{sigh}}}}}}

• lynniea

No test today it is tomorrow put date in wrong box in calender.  I suppose I just want to leave at the Hospital.  Thanks for your concerns.  Will do it again tomorrow.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

I keep the list of meds in my little appt calendar that I carry in my pocketbook that has all dr appts in there.  Don't have a list of surgeries - should do that too, thanks!

Carol, I'm glad you have a firm plan now ... just knowing that sometimes helps us focus our energy at a specific target at least.

Lynn, hang in there kid!!

3jays, good to see you - I would have loved to see your attempt at Pink!  Her many looks amaze me.

Next time I "see" you all will be ... drum roll ... Friday night - wooo hooo!!!!   Almost makes the week worth it, just to have that singular job of a Friday.

• JoanDavies
    JoanDavies Member Posts: 80

Okay, I think I keep taking meds or supplements that "might" interfere with the tamoxifen. Ugh. I took a benadryl allergy pill the other day. I"m still taking my multi-vitamin and a couple of other supplements, even though I wavered on that because of what some of your doctors have been saying. I don't see my MO until mid-April, so I have no idea if I'm counteracting the effectiveness of the Tamoxifen, but I'll be darned if I'm going to stop taking things when there's no definite that they interfere (just maybes). This is just too confusing!

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826

my favorite saying, when in doubt call the onc.  I figure I trust the guy with my life and so far, he's keeping his end of the bargin :)

• jo1955

Maureen - I agree with you.  I have read so many conflicting things on here.  I am going to do what my onc says.  And mine is keeping his end of the bargin too.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
  • shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499

Just checking in - feeling like a new person. Slept until 5 am the first night on the generic ambien, and until 6 am this morning. I'm feeling almost human!

BTW I am not on chemo, all finished with everything, and it does not interact with anastrazole. I checked with the pharmacist. But those are definitely things to think about for those still in treatment.

xoxo

edited typo

• jo1955

Good Morning Everyone - I have not done most posting here lately but have been trying to keep up with what is going on.  I have been super busy at work and am too tired some nights to even turn my computer on.  After seeing my onc on Monday for neuropathic pains in the toes, he gave me a script for Lyrica and it has been wonderful.  Not only are the toes doing good, I am sleeping so much better.  Starting to feel like a new person.  My DH says I have way too much energy these days - like the Energizer Bunny got a new set of batteries and the off button is broken. LOL  Best I have felt in 6 months and I am loving it.

Wishing everyone a great day.

• elimar

Seyla, thanks you for posting that link.  I, too, use that site and would have linked to it.  Now you have saved me the trouble.

I do say "check with your doctor" for possible drug interactions BUT I also say check it out YOURSELF on sites like the one Seyla posted.  I like my PCP a lot, however, knowing I was on Tamoxifen, he still prescribed something that competed with the same liver enzyme, rendering the Tamox. less effective.  When I called his nurse, she said "bring a copy of what you are reading on the internet."  O.K., I did bring it in for the doc to see and the internet info. (from the site Seyla posted) was correct.  It's in your own best interest to be very inquisitive as far as drugs are concerned.

• Sherryc

Seyla thanks for the link that will be a great resourse to have.

• lynniea

Had Echo Tech said Heart looked good.  It will be read by cardiologist than to my dr.  Normal is good.

• elimar

Excellent news, lynniea!   Yay!!!

yippie

All of a sudden, I am hungry for some M&Ms.

• Sherryc

Lynniea such great news, I am so happy for you.  Once less thing to think about.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Lynniea ....one less thing to worry.Smile

Hugs

• elimar

Since we recently wrote about our sleep (and lack of it) and because I like my Yahoo News, here a short article in its entirety:

CDC: A third of Americans don't sleep 7 hours

By MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer Mike Stobbe, Ap Medical Writer Thu Mar 3, 1:11 pm ET

ATLANTA – More than a third of U.S. adults sleep less than seven hours a night, and many of them report troubles concentrating, remembering and even driving.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported the statistics Thursday in two separate studies.

In one study, about 35 percent of people surveyed in 12 states said they slept less than seven hours a night, on average.

The second study based on a national survey found about 23 percent said they had trouble concentrating because they were tired. Another 18 percent struggled to remember things, and 11 percent had difficulty driving or commuting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, maybe it is not ALL attributable to middle age or chemo brain after all.  

Another thing,  remember how, for years, 8 hours of sleep was the gold standard?  Personally, I think it still is, but the "studies" have downgraded the minimum requirement to 7 hours now.  What doYOU think is the amount of sleep we should get each night to STAY HEALTHY?  How many hours make you feel you are operating AT YOUR BEST?

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

Ever since I was @ 10 years old, I've only gotten @ 6 hours a night. Been that way my whole life till BC. Now I get @ 7. If I sleep longer than that, when I get up I hurt sooooo bad. Every bone in my body hurts. I can't stay in bed 8+ hours or I can't move. I know some people can sleep 10 or more. I can't. This works for me and always has. It hasn't effected me in the way they describe. I haven't had any problems remembering, concentrating or driving until BC & chemo. Now I have a few of those problems and I get more sleep now. Go figure. I've always been kinda ASS BACKWARDS.   Leisa

• SHAZBERNJESS
    SHAZBERNJESS Member Posts: 7

Feeling upset and worried,going into hospital tuesday for the hysteroscopy.ive had no more bleeding but the waiting for this is makeing me sick i dont want cancer again,part of me thinks it will be ok and it was the tamoxfen that has done this but i am still worrid,i am crying as i am not thinking like a normal person i am trying to be brave but i cant seem to pull myself together.

• jo1955

shazbernjess - I'm sure everything will be okay.  This BC thing really sucks.  Please try and breath, relax over the weekend.  I know it must be scary.  Sending you a big cyberhug.

Please let us know what happens next week