Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

JB, they will MAKE you try!!! Trust me!! They had to yank on my skin to find something to put under the plates. That's why I refused to let them tug on my LE side. I want to know what happens when you go for your follow-up. Please let us know if they try it on  you and how you got around it. I, too, am perfectly flat.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Having a lumpectomy, I was not sure of the answer about mammos, but knew we had many who did know.  I kind of thought it would depend on how much skin and tissue remains.  Like if you still had "dog ears" they might have to squish them down for a mammo view.

I know it is "preaching to the choir" on THIS thread but, good gentlewomen, be not afraid to micro-manage your healthcare workers. You cannot assume that they have read or remembered anything.  It's a long shot really.  Your info. might be in their computers, but it would be to time consuming to actually read it.  The questionairre you just filled out in the waiting room?  That was just busy work to help you pass the time, 'cause the nurse will be asking you all that again and probably the doc too.  Be ready to give your info. and tell your story again and again.  Keep them on their toes treating the correct breast!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

barbe - If you are perfectly flat, what is the reasoning behind even sending you to the appt in the first place?  That sounds like a "Hear's Your Sign" moment. LOL

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Had my chemo teach today.  Very emotional day a lot to take  in they are prescribing a med for nausea emed anyone here of it.  I have port in tomorrow at 7am.

• jo1955

lynniea - Did you say 7:00am?  This is before the chickens get up.  

I did not have chemo so I can't imagine what the first appt is like.  Sending hugs to you. 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Lynniea hope all goes well with the port.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

I'm not a morning person but I prefer early surgeries.

I told them once I'm so lost that early you don't have to put me under. LOL

Lynniea...From someone who had a port believe me that's the best way to get chemo/

Procedure is really nothing. They will put a blue drape in front of your chest and you dont see nothing. I'm just saying it so you know.

Are they going to put you under or local?

hugs

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145
    lynneia during my chemo they pushed emend and then i also took it in pill form on days 2 and 3.  I was also given other nausea meds that I used occassionally with the emend but the emend really did the trick for me.  your port goes in a 7:00 am tomorrow and mine comes out at 7:00 am on thursday....good luck you will do just fine.
  • eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

lynneia-ports are your friend!  Take whatever medicine they give you for nausea-I didn't have emend, but I know others did.  The stuff I had, which eludes me at the moment (imagine that?) did a fine job--I was only a bit yucky in the tummy for a very short period of time 2 days after my 1st chemo-I made some tea & toast & I was all better!  Never had any other nausea thru my treatments.

E-loving the snowy gnomeo!

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297

Lynniea--Emend is a wonderful drug! It works very well for nausea.  Did they mention that you will get Zofran and a steroid in your infusion? The steroid will keep you awake the first night (or 2), and then when you stop taking it you might crash and be really sleepy.  The good part about the steroids is that it keeps away allergies and helps with any aches and pains you may have.  I actually kind of miss my "steroid buzz".  It also can make your face bright red the next day!

Also, did they tell you that you HAVE to drink lots of water?  I think you are getting AC?  The "C", which is Cytoxan, can cause bladder problems if it doesn't get flushed out.  This is rare, but easy enough to avoid.

Interesting conversation about mammos and such.  I will be having a mammo on my remaining (right) breast, then an MRI on both.  I have some skin left from the mx (the bs left skin to help with recon if I want it).  I asked my onc if I will just have an mri if I do recon (and have the right breast removed too) and he said then I wouldn't need anything.  Does this sound right?

I haven't seen my bs since my follow-up after surgery, and won't see him again unless there is a problem.  My onc. schedules all my tests and such, so there is no reason to see the bs.  I plan on seeing a ps soon to talk about recon.  I really don't want another surgery, and not sure I like how the breasts look after recon, but I want to be able to wear swimsuits, and not have to worry that my top is too low all the time. It's annoying!

I love following along with all the interesting conversations on this thread!  Have a great day ladies!

• elimar
    Hello newbies, kal_1865 and JBinOK, to our Mid-Age thread.  Welcome!
  • marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    Lynn I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.  I always scheduled my surgeries as early in the AM as possible, so that's when I had mine done too!  I hope you have an easy time of it as I think most of us did (the port surgery that is).  As for starting chemo, if you haven't already, I'd buy a copybook or a journal to take with you every time.  You'll think of questions to ask the nurses, or they'll have things they want to tell you - and every single one should be written down. What you think at the time will be engraved on your brain will somehow find its way through your brain and into thin air.  Trust me on this!!  Plus, having the book there lets you jot down thoughts of your own while you're being infused.  Sometimes I'd find myself wanting to write down just a quick thought, and next thing you knew three hours had passed.  Finally, my other advice to you would be to weigh everything we all say with a grain of salt ... chemo is an intensely personal experience and while one woman loved this anti-nausea drug, you may not, but know there are plenty to choose from!  Hugs hugs and more hugs for a quick chemo journey for you.
  • walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

To be honest I am not for sure why I would see my BS every year for life but I will ask when I see her next. I cam assume it is because she is hands on caring Dr who wants to take care of her patients. I did go back through my paper from her and it said no mammos on mastectomy side.

Maybe that is why every year. I see nurse Debbie every three months for L Dex test.

Lynniea will think of you at 7:00 tomorrow. I agree about the emend had it before surgery and chemo, which I am sure helped keep the nausea at bay.

Welcome newbis

• jo1955

mjb - I have no follow ups with my BS.  My onc does everything including the breast exam.  I figure he is just as qualified as my BS to detect a lump or other mass.  I like the idea of one person doing everything.  Less appts and I don't have to worry about everyone being on the same page so to speak.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Thanks Jo - I have talked with my MO about these issues and he works closely with my BS as well with my RO. So it seems they work as a close team. Is it really possible to see one Dr? I like both and will do what is nessary. I guess I am confused, I see my OB this month and see what she says.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Stanzia- a hypnotic is like the date rape drug (apparently)...it knocks you out. I was on 5mgs and it would knock me out but not keep me out....10 leaves me groggy if I don't get a full 7 hours of sleep but 7.5 seems perfect at the moment. You can go to a max of 15mgs. I have never done so....but it does stop my brain and helps me sleep....which I know is crucial to my healing so I am doing it.

Lynnia...bring an ipod or whatever to listen to in the waiting room..it will help keep you calm and focused. Will be sending you hugs tomorrow.

Re. mammogram and seeing surgeon discussion- I was told I would be having a mammogram at 6months (I had a lumpectomy) and then would see either my GP or surgeon (guess it depends o the results of the mammogram?) ...my oncologist said he won't need to see me for a couple or few years unless I had problems with tamoxifen or wanted to switch to an AI after 2 or 3 years....I am fine with not seeing anyone as the nurse is available for a call if I have concerns ( and I did last week)..she called back immediately and answered my questions posed on her answering machine

• jo1955

mjb - It is possible to see just one doctor other than the gyn for the annual pap smear.  My onc has already scheduled my first mammo since diagnosis.  I was concerned about this as I want to use a particular facility and he is located in front of a hospital I would not set foot in.  He said he could schedule me anywhere I wanted to go - that was a relief. 

The only other doctor I am seeing is my primary care doctor and that is for my high blood pressure and cholestral checks.  My PC wants my onc to do the rest - says he is the expert but does get copies of all my labs and will consult with my onc if he needs to.

I have not seen my RO since I finished rads in early Dec.  I had to go back one week after for a skin check and that has been it.  I don't see the need to go back there.  That and the fact my RO was such a moron and I hated going everyday. 

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297

lynn--Marlegal makes a good point!  Everyone reacts to drugs differently.  Emend is one of the best anti-nausea meds, but if it doesn't work for you there are many other drugs to try.  Make sure you let your onc know of any side effects you are having. There are many things they do to help! Sending prayers for the port surgery tomorrow!  Hopefully it'll be as easy for you as it was for me :)

• lynniea

Thanks ladies for you thoughts.  Going to try and get some sleep now good night write later.

• elimar
    Lynniea, I'll still be snoozing when you go in tomorrow, but rest easy tonight.  You are doing a good thing and the port will make it easier on you, like so many have said.
  • lynniea

Thank you while you ar snoozing keep me in your thoughts.  It is a great pleasure to have found this place.  I know God will see me through.  I will post later-

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Lynn I'll be holding your hand tomorrow so you won't be alone.

Love n hugs.  Chrissyb

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Lynnie, holding your hand along with Chrissy!

• jo1955

Lynn - Me too!  I am there with Barbara & Chrissy.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

Adding to the appointments/mammo conversation--I get totally freaked out waiting for test results (I waited a month to get the mammo results that found the cancer despite calling the office every week day) so I was scheduing a mammo in the am and took the films to my BS who scheduled my mammos in the pm of the same day.  Now that I've had recon (both breasts now gone) I don't have enough breast tissue in places that the mammo machine can get to.  I see the BS every 6 months for CBE of the "tail" area and incision lines.  I can go to once a year, but I see the BS a bit  more often so I don't have to see the PS more often than once a year as he is out of state.  I see the Med Onc every 6 months, but go to the office every 4 for lupron injections.  I see my PCP about ever 3 months as she is the only one who ever orders and looks at blood work and she lets me run every symptom, ache, pain, or emotional meltdown past her for screening for the need for more follow up.  Like she says, even cancer patients get the usual arthritis, sinus infections, and the like.  I fired the rad onc years ago when he wouldn't answer my questions.  I'll stop seeing the Med Onc in another year and half when the Arimidex is done. I hate the appointments, and am scared silly about not having them.  Crazy, isn't it? 

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

NM - I feel the same way. I don't want to keep all the appointments in my life, but I'll be nervous if I DON'T have the follow-ups. Right now I see my MO every 3 months and my RO and BS every 6 months. Not to mention any tests the MO wants. I NEED to add my PCP to the list so I can have any other health issues monitored - like you said, we have regular problems, too. I need to just accept it and plan on it for the next 5 years - and really be glad for it because as nervous as these appointments make me, they give me peace of mind, too. Sheesh - what a contradiction; I dread them but I want them. noooooooooo.........

Eli - I LOVE that silly gnome! I don't know why, but I've suddenly started liking garden gnomes. I always thought they were silly and now I think they're oddly cute! I think I'm going to have to try to work in my yard some this spring, and I'll be darned if I'm not going to get a garden gnome!

• elimar
    Native, didn't you hear?  B/C Crazy IS the "new normal" they were talking about.
  • Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

mjb-My BS would really like for me to see her yearly for life but did say to me that as long as I am seeing my MO regularly and getting my yearly follow up mammo and MRI (yes have to have these-high risk) and she gets copies of everything she will not make me come in and see her.  She said if she misses getting anything to expect a phone call for an appt. Or if I want to stay in touch I can call and make an appt anytime.  I too am like Jo I am ready to see less Dr's.  as much as I like my BS just thinking I will see her for a 1 year follow up and then that is it and let my MO take care of it from there.  I am scheduled for a followup with my RO the end of April and he will release me at that time and will not have to go back (one less Dr).

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

If I've always been crazy (ask my family) am I now crazier or does the BC crazy make me sane? 

Unti now I have been scheduling most of my appointments during school breaks (I teach at a University).  My PCP asked me what I did for fun this last February break.  I told her I went to doctor's appointments.  She looked at me and said the I don't have to give up having fun just because I was diagnosed with cancer, and I need to quit making multiple appointments during breaks.   I was trying to not let the diagnosis interfere with work and wound up giving it my life. This stops NOW!  The appointments will come when they come, and I am going to keep certain weeks of the year appointment free. So there, bc!  

• jo1955

NM - That's what I am talking about.  I have made sure that is no one I have to see the week I am gone on my cruise.  I told my MO that if he did not let me go, he would have to admit me to a psych ward.  LOL!