Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Thanks heartandsoul....I did try putting my bed at a different angle and it helped but when I made it up on Friday, I ended up moving it back. I will ry it facing a different direction again and see if that helps. it is really my mind that is keeping me awake...not letting myself sleep I think...missing my ex and my life pre-hisleaving/cancer diagnosis and still not healed from that...deNile indeed...a place I have been  living for awhile I suspect...full of old pyramids for sure...ancient artifacts....think my place needs an overhaul of some sort....

and I stick with what I said..you are brave and courageous...and that is a good thing my dear! a good thing:)

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Reading always relaxes me before bed.  My insomnia has finally gone away, woohoo.  I have slept good for the last 6 nights.  The only SE I am still having is hip joint pain.  I really only notice it when I am exercising.  It has gotten better but at this point if I had to live with it for the next five years it is doable, but I really hope it goes away like my other SE's

Lynn good luck with your chemo.  I will be praying that the SE don't hit to bad.  I never had chemo so don't know what you will be going through.  Just remember we are here for you.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Sherry - My onc told me today that my toe pains may not be related to the Tamox but is running some blood tests to confirm.  I was given Lyrica for the pain - will see if that helps any.

WOO HOO! On no insomnia.  Always good to get a full night's sleep - it really does wonders for the body. 

• Sherryc

Jo-hope the Lyrica works for you.  My neighbor is on it, she said it works but has made her gain weight.  But I know you and you will check out all the SE's. 

• jo1955

Sherry - Of course I will check out all the SEs.  I could stand to gain a few pounds but not alot.  I don't eat much as it is so I will watch is closely.  From what I have read so far, nausea is not one of the SEs - thank goodness.  Seems all the meds I have taken so far have that and it hits me big time.  Onc said to take it at night since it may cause drowsiness - hmm! I could use the extra help in getting to sleep.  This could be a good thing.

• Sandeeonherown

Jo - glad to hear they did a blood test to check it out...and good that you got in fast to see someone . makes a difference.

• jo1955

Sandee - My onc is wonderful and I can sometimes get in on the same day I call. I usually tell them  I don't need a same day but they are good at getting me in pretty quick.  

In addition to the blood tests, he decided to make this my 4 month follow up instead of having to go back in 6 weeks.  While we were at it, he did a breast exam and scheduled my next diagnostic mammo in early June and onc appt in late June.  That way he has the mammo results before I see him again.  So nice to have one doctor coordinating everything.  Like one stop shopping.  Less confusing and fewer appts.  This is going to be alright.

Won't know how to act without numerous appts.   Guess I will just have to do more regular stuff. LOL!

Good Night Ladies 

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Good for you.  I have my whole date book filled in March already and it is a little over whelming. 

• mscal02
    mscal02 Member Posts: 167

Every time I asked my Oncologist about a side effect that I was experiencing, he acted as dumb as a rock. I was having neuropathy in my foot and asked if Taxotere could be the culprit?, and he said on no, that is not possible. I looked at him and asked, why is there 14 ladies out here on canes and walkers? then he said oh yes, that is a possibility. for reelz player?

• jo1955

lynn - From the time I had surgery in Aug to the end of Dec it seems like I spent more time at appts than at work.  It does get better with time.  Hang in there.

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

I am having a very hard time about work.  I would be working outside and around food and it is outside all the time.  I don't think I will be able to do it.  The social worker said take one day at a time.  I will be going through Chemo in June It can get very hot at work and don't know if I will be able to take that.  God is able to do all things and trusting him for it.  I Thank you all that I have you to lean and to learn from. Please keep me in your prayer's.

• jo1955

Lynn - We will all keep you in our prayers.

• Sherryc

Lynn-will keep you in prayer and yes take one day at a time.

I still have too many Dr appts.  Hopefully after Mayl things will settle down.  I should be released from my RO in april following my mammo, I have a gyno in april and a dermatoligist in april to remove some sun spots.  Don't want skin cancer as well.  I have a MO appt end of March and hopefully since my SE are better I can start on my every three month rotation with him.  The beginning of May have a consult with a PS. whew, maybe it will slow down after all that.  I am sick of dr appts.

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

Insomnia.. this is quite familiar to me  as it has become part and parcel of my life. I thought that I might be the lone BC patient  having  this problem but  seems to be very common for all. What I do when I  have the problem....I just keep on  going through  all the posts  and  never know how I past  my night time  and by the time I am ready to  lie down it is almost 2-3 o'clock at night . I am very used to  but  this is not good sign. During such periods.. I clean my rooms, washed clothes silently or make  coffee  or tea for myself..

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

I have insomnia frequently also.  I never get out of bed though because I keep hoping I'll fall asleep if I stay in bed.  I could probably get a lot done if I'd get out of bed and clean.  Anyway, the longer I stay awake, the more anxious I get because I keep thinking about getting up for work - in 4 hours, 3 hours, etc, etc! 

Melatonin does help quite a bit and regular exercise helps.  Unfortunately in the winter, exercise is hard to do because of the weather!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Besides the Vit. D, that I do think has improved my sleep, I am really liking a memory foam pillow that I got at WalMart.  I got the kind that has kind of a trough in the center for your head.  Mmmm, so comfy.

Isn't it strange that most of your average doctors never ask the question, "Are you getting good quality sleep?" when sleep is SO important to health and body function?   Maybe one day in the future our grandchildren will be able to go to doctors that are holistic/naturopathic AND covered by insurance.  Oh, the utopia of it all!  

• Sherryc

I have found that when I have trouble sleeping if I do my deep yoga breathing I start concentrating on breathing instead of when I am going to get up and I realax and fall back to sleep.

elimar-A friend of mine uses those pillows and she loves them.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 106

Question:    How do we get our 'Normal' back????  

Some of us dislike the term .. New Normal ... I WANT MY LIFE BACK

Vicki Sam 

• Raj20

Life after BC is  always different  from earlier normal.

• jo1955

VickiSam - That is the million dollar question.  I'm not sure how to answer it.  I also want my life back - not sure I agree with the "new normal" term.  I just wake up each day and appreciate what I have and look into the future.  Made a promise to myself not to look back - too many bad memories.  Most of those I have tossed into the bonfire.

• Raj20

We should organize  a grand bonfire to the past and think for the  future.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Lynniea - you have the same chemo regimen that I had and the 16 weeks flew by.  I got to know a lot of people during the time I was in treatment, when you see the same people each time you develop a bond no matter what treatment they are on.  Just remember to suck on something when they start your IV it helps with the bad taste.  I took ginger supplements instead of using the prescribed nausea med. they made me loopy and had a hard time working.  You can PM if you have further questions.

I have always had problems with waking up in the middle of the night but with BC it got a bit worse and I hate taking prescribed drugs to help me sleep.  Tried an anti depressant and gained 8 pound that I did not need.  Will try the Vt D, I have been taking Melatonin it is seems to help most of the time.

I am seeing a lymphadema PT on Monday to asses my needs, will probably start with compression therapy and massaging the arm.

• Sandeeonherown

VickiSam- I have been saying that for the past 17 months....to no avail...someone said ' you cannot unring a bell' (Barbe maybe?) and true enough....can't get the old normal back but can develop a new, beter normal...where we are more conscious of our health and the ones we love. I am rying to put one foot in front of the other and appreciate every opportunity that comes my way, be it hanging out with friends, talking to students or sitting with my cat. I am not successful in this endeavour every day....but I am working on it...all we can ask,hmm?

mjmiller- keep us posted on the lymphadema therapy. Can't be comfortable....ah me..

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Lynn, as for being fearful about working during chemo, that's a very individual decision, but many people don't suffer nausea at all, or very little, during chemo. There are many drugs to help with that and non-pharmaceutical methods too - like the ginger which I have heard worked for many (including my husband on a cruise).  I also trusted my pharmacist to help me with meds during chemo. Your doctor should be able to prescribe meds to take before chemo, and have meds available after as well.  I know the feeling of "I don't want to put more into my system" - believe me I know because I felt that way - but if something can help you to feel the best you can during chemo and keep your life as on track as possible, I don't think that's a bad thing.

New normal - I hate that phrase too.  But I've developed wonderful, true friends as a result of my diagnosis, I've volunteered for things I never would have before, I've travelled more, I changed some bad habits ... once you get past the horrendous treatment stage, things can be quite good.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Sandee - very true. I was thinking of it as not only maybe a wake-up call from God to pay attention, for crying out loud, but also a chance to reinvent myself - to make a better life for me, make some of my dreams come true. Who knows? Maybe the old normal is not good enough any more, anyway. Maybe things can be even better!

Edit: Okay, let me rephrase that: maybe it's a wake-up call to pay attention. I didn't really mean that God gave me cancer, just saying "wake-up and take care of yourself". I think God uses the trials we face in life to help us better ourselves and our lives. IMO.

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490

I don't believe God gave me cancer...

• Sandeeonherown

Marlegal.....beautifully said!

• ATeamNana
    ATeamNana Member Posts: 224

dawney...

Does your wig have the plastic hook that hooks in loops at back?  If so, I took each side and

hooked the plastic pieces to each other...not inside the loops ... if that makes sense...it made

it tighter on my head...I have very small head and hats and wigs were hard for me to find small enough.

On the bright side...I no longer need my wigs since I have full head of hair now.  Once it started growing it grew like wilfire...I finished chemo in December 09. 

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 106

What's that saying ..  try to look to the future, not the past? 

I know personally, I  will never never look at another doctor's appointment the same way -- I will not put off what I can do today, until tomorrow.. and I truly wish for hope and peace.  I try to find happiness and hope everyday.  I pray for those sisters suffering from recurrence, or currently fighting for their lives, because Breast Cancer kills -- it knows no boundaries of age, gender, race or economical status.

For those of us 'who' detest the phase .. Our new normal, maybe we should use  my life after breast cancer ... we know too much about this disease, to be normal, ever again.

Vicki Sam

• Sandeeonherown

Ah VickiSam- but we are paving the way for others now and guiding them through...you are, we all are....there are gifts that are to be found in this diagnosis...we just have to hunt for them. So, in the meantime, use this forum as a place to rant, explore your thoughts on the subject or whatever you need. WE get it..Maybe we need to come up with a new phrase!

I read my 'soul' cards every morning..choose one and meditate on it. Have also started each morning with a positive thought to all those in my world who are struggling right now....started my day off very smoothly and joyfully today as a result.