Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

OG, maybe that feeling in your tummy is just that you are yearning for dark chocolate?

Paula, glad you made it to work!

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Paula - true warrior is right! Recline away....and I hope you are feeling better soon!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I don't know if a dark chocolate assortment will help the tummy but it is tasty, so I got an assortment box to cyber-share.  Mmmm, feast your eyes....

godiva Pictures, Images and Photos

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Thanks E I love chocolate, especially the dark.

I just put my grandson's picture as my avatar, because I can't post a picture duh!

• mslorih
    mslorih Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the info NativeMainer. I am 4 weeks out of chemo and waiting for a surgery date. I will have a double mastectomy.  I now  know what to expect. I just found ya'll. Its so nice to know ya'll are out there. There is so much wonderful, useful advice.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Elimar they gave me a really easy job while Im recovering.  The hardest thing I do is get a ream of paper out of the supply cabinet. So I'm able to take it easy. Most of the time I just sit around.    It can make for a long day sometimes but Im not complaining.  When you go from being a factry worker to the office its a different pace. That was the deal if I came back to work.  They have been super to me.  Friday will be my last AC treatment and then Im off to the 4 rounds of taxol.  I hear that the SE are more managable.  I hope so.

Im can be a strong minded woman at times.  I remember that when I was told that I had breast cancer I wasn't gonna let it rob me of anything so I have it in my mind that I have to just move on and move I do. Its  drives my mom crazy but I keep telling her this stubborn comes from her, lol. I watch my hubby work 2 jobs now and it upsets me so.  I just have a hard time letting him caring this financal burden like this.  He gets mad at me but I dont really tell him the truth cause he would be madder then a hornet of he knew the truth.  I know you all wont tell him so I figered I could let some of the cat outa the bag.  I know you gals wont tell him. 

• elimar

mslorih, welcome!   Was the pre-surgery chemo effective at shrinking the tumor down?  Do you know the size now?   Hope you don't have to wait too long for surgery.

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Hi Ladies I go to see surgeon tomorrow to make sure it's ok to start Chemo.  I have a new bed It belonged to my Mom.  So much more comfortable than the old one.  I got my nausea meds today they let me get emed.  Hope everyone is doing great and feeling good.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Still holding your hand Lynn.  Good luck!

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Thanks Chrissy I will let everyone one know when I get home.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

(((Lynn)))♥

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

Hi Elimar ! can you please pass me  2/3  chocolates  from your box.

Lynneia...have lot of orange juices during  the problem period. Soup (clear vegetable) will  also helps , besides plenty of  clean water.

Hi guys ! here is a funny news  from  India one 22 yrs. rickshaww puller rapes on lady of 77 yrs while on return from her sister,s place at night. This was happened yesterday in the Capital of India. In India the status  of woman is very much in the lower  as compared  of yours. I am not kidding  this is real.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

just wanted to pop in.. im officialy too "old" for this thread, but can't leave my friends here, full time.. want to say hi to stanzie.. we know each other from another thread.. great hostess here, isn't elimar?      3jays

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

3jaysmom - You are never too old to be here.  Please don't leave us.  Elimar is a great hostess.

Lynn - Good luck with chemo - holding your hand and sending cyber hugs. 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

3jays, I'm here TOO!!! Did you just have a birthday? You said "officially".....

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Lynn,  I will be saying prayers for ya as you start your chemo.   

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Lynn when you start your chemo just think of your cyber friends holding your hand, close your eyes and rest easy.

• walker2222

OG, hope for good results on your biopsy.  I remember how fun my MRI biopsy was.

mslorih - welcome too.  A friend of mine had chemo prior to surgery and they were able to do a partial mastectomy with reduction on the other side.  She is doing very well and will be returning to work soon.  Her test came back after surgery no cancer so they are not going to have to do radiation.

I hope everyone had a good Monday, I saw my LE PT yesterday and she really worked over my arm.  The cording is getting better but need to massage the scar tissue more to break it up.  Didn't have this problem until after radiation.  Will get my compression sleeve this week.

• elimar

mjbmiller,  My SNB area felt a little sore and tight after surgery.  I stretched on a door frame and got to feeling fairly decent.  Then came radiation.  Yes, the whole area got tighter, to the point I asked for a few PT sessions, which did help.  While our minds might think of radiation as a treatment, it is actually injuring every cell in the area.  The studies and reports freely admit that some women would do just fine without getting radiation, but there is no way to absolutely TELL who would be in that group of not needing it. 

I have only made a handful of threads on this board, but one of my first ones was something like "can't I just skip the radiation?"  But I came to realize that, never having won more than $2 on a Scratchers Ticket (that's a scratch-off lottery ticket here, raj,) I just did not have the kind of luck to refuse the radiation.  So, I went willingly to injure my body daily for 6 1/2 weeks.  A recurrence now would make me furious.

Yes, I'm still going on about radiation. Can't help it.

• elimar

3jays, I made the age group for gathering purposes, and with an "ish" endpoint, so that if someone older than 60 feels like they belong here, then they DO.  Many of you could easily be 59 for a good number of years.  I would only get suspicious if, say, 20 years had gone by and we were all still here.  We'd all be "ish" then.

raj,  I hope you are not saying that story appeared in your paper like a humor article, and that the young rapist gets a fitting punishment for the attack.  What a sicko!  

• walker2222

Elimar I wonder about the purpose of radiation especially when you have had BMX and two rounds o chemo. What's left? I can see it for shrinking the tumor or if the tumor was deep close to the chest wall. My RO said that with treatments and surgery it reduced reocurance from 55% to below 10% for me. I guess I am like not wanting to take the chance.

My neighbor told me a story about a sister of a friend who has refused any treatments and in the past 5 years she has had two lumpectomies and now a MX and the Drs are concerned because of the rapid rate of return. Her sister is also very concerned. What do you tell her?

• elimar

RADS IS A CLEAN UP OPERATION.  The biopsies and surgeries disturb cells in the breast, and if any of them should be cancer cells, nobody can be 100% sure that they won't survive & travel and find a new home elsewhere.  It may not be extremely LIKELY, but it just can't be ruled out either.

Chemo travels to where ever the blood supply goes.  After surgery, you have a breast that has had its vessels severed and now you have scar tissue in the area also disrupting circulation.  Chemo might not reach all rogue cells in that area, if they are there, but radiation can hopefully blast them.  It's all about the clean up.

• Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611

elimar - that was very thoughtful - the ish part as luckly we are having birthdays and getting older! I think when someone asks my age I'd like to say I'm "ish". Sounds good to me.

That is a great explaination on Rads and chemo - thank you that helps some of the parts I have been confused about.

3jays- too cute!!! And Barb!!!

I just re-read your begining of thread post and I agree it is a different time in life and one that does offer some new freedoms while gaining other restrictions but BC just screws with all of them doesn't it. Cancer in general is so odd to me - my BIL has a new reoccurance of anal cancer and otherwise he is extremely healthly and in good shape and feels good but .... this might kill him? so scary and so hard. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Maybe in twenty years, they will allow you to change the name of the thread to "Used to be, Middle-Aged Women 40-60ish"

• walker2222

Elimar - Thanks for that explaintion, if rads sweep up the remain cancer and throw it in the trash ben it is well worth it.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Isn't that the truth.

• elimar

Good idea, Meece.  May we all be surviving 20 years from now.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

Lynn, OG and anyone I might have missed waiting on results and procedures...that pic of the two hands says it better than I can....we all care and love you all...none of us is alone in this journey...

3jays- you ain't going nowhere...age is a spirit indeed

And jo- your typo literally made me wet myself..I laughed that hard...I wish all the damn docs gave us the worst scenarios up front...scare the crap out of us and then we could find our own stages of reliefs throughout the processes-instead of what is often the reverse.

and I am with Meece on this thread's name change in a couple of decades...a bunch of us 70 80 and 90 and beyond somethings dancing like nobody is watching:)

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

annette - If we can find humor in all this mess - the better off we will be.  Sometimes my hands and brain don't make a good connection and I did not proofread like I usually do before hitting the submit button.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

oh jo- i loved it. I do that all the time and it is nuts because I also do it when TALKING:)