Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

WAy to go, Jo!  And the MO doesn't "LET" you do anything, you "LET" him treat you.  Keep that in mind! 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Good to hear from you, chrissyb!  What have you been up to in the land down under?
  • Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

NM that is such a great way to look at it.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

NM - I was just joking.  He is a good doctor with a good sense of humor.

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

JBinOK....forehead....ROFLMAO

I'm a little behind, so answering as I go.

Barbe...they too insisted on mammo, but now I have BRICK boob on cancer side, so NO MORE for me on that one

Lynniea...for my port, they put me under. Had to be there at 6a.m. I live an hour away from the hospital, so was up at 4 a.m. that morning. Still have mine, using it while I'm on a trial drug for HER2+ patients. I took compazine for nausea. Probably just depends on you dr. Good luck tomorrow.

Welcome all newbies

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I had Compazine & Zophran in case of "breakthrough" nausea, but the Emend was a miracle drug.  Expensive, but effective.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Excellent plan NM, Jo....I have no inention of checking work email when I am gone in April and it will be  for 3 weeks....I have my ticket bought and ready to go ....and despite the fact that I know the assistant DOS is giving in her notice and will be leaving when I am gone....I don't care! I made sure I had my ticket before she hands in her resignation. Now that is planning!...trying not to feel guilty about it...need to get away and get some perspective...a weekend, much as I enjoyed it...is NOt enough

• jo1955

Sandee - Take your guilt and throw it into the bonfire.  That's where it belongs.  I am not even going to take my computer with me and I have one of those 10" minis that fits in a tote bag.

The time away will do us both a world of good. 

• Sandeeonherown

Yep.....me too....not doing it (will bring some books instead and leave email checking to happenstance...even though it will pile up...who cares!)

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hi Eli et al....lol.  I 'm good, in fact I'm actually excellent.  My latest scan have me at NED, my shoulder op was a huge success and no more pain there which suits me just fine.  Hopefully the change in my meds for blood pressure will get that little bugger under control again and the upping of my Vit D to 100,000u p/m will put my levels back up to 110iu/ml.....we shall see...mm.   So all thee doc appts. have had me doing a heap of travelling but after arriving home last night, I am finally here for about five weeks brfore I need to do the rounds again......thank goodness!!!   I've now got some time to try and get my house back in order and to sit and plan my trip in Sept. - October.  I don't post on this thread very often, but I do read every day........

Love n hugs to all.  Chrissyb

• elimar
    chrissyb, the news doesn't get much better than that...that is wonderful!  Maybe we will have a trend of good news around here.  Hope we next hear from lynniea, with port in and doing fine?????
  • Stanzie
    Stanzie Member Posts: 1,611

NM - question for you - I know lupron shuts down your ovaries is that why you are on lupron? Is it a way to get rid of the estrogen without going on those anti-estrogen drugs? Just wondering as my onc didn't want me on those drugs as for me he said the risk out weighted the benefit so made me think - wonder why he didn't suggest lupron. Thanks!

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

I am doing quite well.  Do to the fact I was in the Same Day Surgery Ward ant 7am and left at 8 pm.  So I arrived home at 8:15 and slept till 2 am.  So now I am up.  I feel pretty good on Vikaden.  No throwing up but felt like it.  The Lord pulled me through.  One part down now down to the next.  Had sentinel biopsy that went well now the waiting game again.  Thanks for all your prayers.  It is nice to know you have many praying for me.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

I am on Lupron to shut down my ovaries so I can take arimidex.  I did not tolerate tamoxifen well at all, was terrifed it wasn't working, that I wasn't metabolizing it, extreem depression that I didn't evern realize at the time.  When I started I was borderline menopausal, so no one will take out my ovaries.  Last summer I tested as solidly menopausal, but because I am over 50 no one will take out my ovaries.  So I'm stuck with the big shot every 4 months for another year and a half. 

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Hi all I've been away for awhile du e to treatment.  It takes me a few to get out the fog and I try to conserve the brain cell for work, lol.  I hope all is going well.

I know its gonna be a few months but I want as much info as I can get. I will be taking Tamoxo for 5 yrs after chemo.  If you ladies have any tips and question for the doc I would love to hear them.  Have a fun filled Thursday middies!

• jo1955

Paula - A lot of us started out slow.  I started with 10mg the first week and then went to a split dose - 10mg in the morniing and 10mg at bedtime.  I did that for about 2 weeks and then decided to take the whole dose at breakfast.  For me, if I have a small glass of milk that helps with the queasy stomach I periodically get.  Not to scare you, but I did end up with some neuropathy in the toes and my MO started me on Lyrica which is not only helping with the toe pains but giving me some good sleep.

You will have to join us on the Bottle O' Tamoxifen thread.  There are a great bunch of ladies there and we tend to have lots of fun.  See you there.

Lynn - Glad you are doing well even after the long day in the hosp.  Rest well today. 

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477

I don't post here very often but I do read it a lot. I was wondering. I am 46 and my last period was right before chemo, the last one was decmebr 7th 13 weeks ago. Still no sign of my period. Not that I want it. But i am taking tamoxifen and i am wondering if I should be taking arimidex. Anyone have the same situation?

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Paula-do join us on the tamoxifen thread.  Everyone is different and tolerates things differently. Some do not have SE's at all.   I decide to jump in at 20mg and I did have SE's.  Don't want to scare you but the neausea was really bad and it suprised me because I don't normally react to meds that way so thought I would be fine.  My MO worked with me though and took me off for a few days treated my stomach and put me back on it with prilosec 2 X day.  Have not had any more issues and the other SE's have worked itself out except for the insomnia.  I take Ambien CR for that and am hoping in time my body will adjust so I can quit taking the ambien. I seem to have very vivid dreams and a very active mind at night now.  Did not use to be this way, I have always been a good sleeper.

Lynn glad all went well and get plenty of rest today. 

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

Carrol2- I am also 46. Sorry but was not on tamoxifen, so can't help there. There are a lot of others who will come and answer your question I'm sure. Also went through the chemopause. Finally got the period back almost exactly 1 year from when it stopped. I was on Herceptin for a year. Period came back, went on a trial drug. Period stopped again. Good luck & God Bless.

• jo1955

Carol - I can't help you with the issue of periods as I am post menopausal but I can say that Tamoxifen is what you should be taking.  Arimidex is just for post meno women.  You really have to make sure the periods are not coming back before you get on Arimdex.

Maybe someone else can chime in on the periods thing.

Good luck & best wishes 

• elimar

Carrol2, long time, no hear.  Many ladies do get "chemopause."  Then, Tamox. can also disrupt your menstrual cycle, or stop it for long enough to make you highly irregular.  Tamox., being the fun drug that it is, can be as capricious as stopping your period for MONTHS, but if for some reason you would like your period back, just go on a trip for a week (or long weekend) and don't say I didn't warn you.

You might be peri-menopausal (with lowered natural estrogen) at your age, and your doc can test your levels if your curiosity really wants to know.  If you have not gone a whole year without a menstrual cycle, most docs will not consider you to be in full menopause; therefore, Arimidex is not an option at this time.  That may or may not be an option a few years down the road.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    thanks for all the answers. It's only been 6 months no period. Elimar i carry an emergency stash when i travel. I was told my period would come back. Your right i figure it will be during the worst moment.
  • Sandeeonherown

Carrol- I was given a blood test before starting tamoxifen..the oncologist did not believe that at 48 I had not had my period for 18 months..and before that, just 2 in two years...but tamoxifen is the option for pre-menopausal women (and recently menopausal..2/3 of my numbers said meno and the other one said 'sorry..estrogen still firing!')...as long as I have ovaries, I will have estrogen so...there you go. Would prefer not to give them up if there are other options...as for other side effects..can't really tell if my lack of sleep is more intense than before or not as I have not slept well for a couple of years but I was having hot flashes (soaking the bed hot flashes) when I first started Tami so, on the advice of gals on the Bottle 'o Tamoxifen train, I split the dose in half and take 10mgs at 7am and 10mgs at 7pm. Works for me and I rarely wake up sweating..still wake up hot at some point but I keep the heat off.

• jo1955

Sandee - I still have my ovaries and have been post menopausal for 3 years.  Taking Tamoxifen.  We will always have estrogen flowing even if the ovaries are removed - it comes from the adrenal glands.  So no matter what the estrogen is still there.   No gonna give mine up if I don't have to - hate surgery.

• Sandeeonherown

Ah well then...so much for that theory....then yay!! another body part I get to keep...:)...my adrenal glands are messed up, that I know (according to my naturopath)...perhaps time to go back for another appointment....

• carol6026
    carol6026 Member Posts: 20

i got a letter in the mail today, my surgery has been changed from march 25th to april 9th, i am under so much stress and just want to get it over with.

• Sandeeonherown

Oy Carol....stressful indeed but it is out of your control my dear...so all you can do now is breathe...on the plus side? It gives you an extra two weeks to power up, get strong and prepare yourself. You can do this...you can.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Carol (((((hugs))))).  Honey the two weeks lag is really not going to make any difference to your outcome so please don't stress out because of that.  I know you are to the point of tearing your hair out but please, do try to relax a little.  Just take one day at a time.

Love n hugs.  Chrissyb

• Sandeeonherown

A quick little refocus of the train  has anyone travelled a long distance by plane (not the short hour stints I have been doing this winter for work)...? if yes, how have you felt? I kept really hydrated on the short flights bot pre-flight and post but he 7 7 hour flights there and the three bak (or is it four?) Has me wondering if i should be doing something specific?

thoughts?Embarassed

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Sandee...What is it you are worried about/ Do you have LE?