Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Options

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    Options

I do have a history of fibroids and don't really know how much of a factor the Tamox is playing into this.  I can do Saturday - the sooner the better.  If I don't this now I have to wait two weeks.  The doctor is going to be out of town all next week.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Options

I'm coining a new term for those who feel their cancer is a thing of the past:  B10 (Beaten!)

It's like B9, but it's one better.  (Think Nigel Tufnel's amp in Spinal Tap.)  Like:

Q:  Had your mammo?  Everything B9?

A:  Nothing showed up, so looks like it is B10.

I know, I know. Term not expected to be put into wide usage.  Tongue out   Hee-he-hee!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Good one e!!! I for one will use it.

Jo, get 'er done!! But if the doc is off for the following 2 weeks, you know  you'll have to wait for an answer...right?

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413
    Options

Jo, hope it's something simple, like just another nasty fibroid and not more (wow, nothing like wishing for a fibroid, huh).

• jo1955
    Options

Barbe - I know the waiting will be torture BUT I would like to get the surgery over as soon as possible.  I could ask if one of the other doctors in the practice could call me with results - that's a thought.  I don't care who gives me results.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    Options

((jo)) - so sorry to hear it's something else! Very glad you can get the biopsy soon - good idea about getting the results from another doc sooner. Like Barbe said, get 'er done!

reesie - great results with no negative words! That's the way we like it! 

• heartnsoul76
    Options

Hey, Elimar! Where did you get that picture of me?

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

Yeah, Eli, how did you get that pic of HnS when whe was 19??

• heartnsoul76
    Options

haha, Barb, you got me there! Damn! I like to be delusional!

• elimar
    Options

Oh, is that you, HnS?  I thought I was capturing my youthful, bikini-wearing INNER SELF, 'cause the outer self looks a little scary in a bikini!  It's bad enough I look a little scarry (in the sentinel node area) in my one-piece suit.

• heartnsoul76
    Options

Silly Elimar, living in reality! It's definitely me in my little head!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Well I finally got the call from my BS and my hip x-ray is clear no cancer.  Woohoo.  She said some arthritis and probably some connective tissue issue and keep taking the Celebrex.  sign of relief.  Had not worried about my  hip until she sent me for the x-ray.  Guess I still don't think I every had cancer, haha

• heartnsoul76
    Options
    That's great news, Sherry! I'm like you - sometimes I don't think I had cancer either. I guess that's a good thing, that we can get it off our minds like that...Undecided
  • jo1955
    Options

reesie - I saw the fibroid on the US screen and that bugger looks huge.  Can't imagine how long it has been growing.  I do know it is coming out once the biopsy is done.  

Cancer, the gift that keeps on giving - I am still searching for the return line.

• elimar
    Options
    WOO-HOO,  Sherryc!!! 
  • carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331
    Options

Isn't that soemthing when we are glad it is ONLY Arthritis?  It is a real bugger to be alergic to all the good arthritis meds, Celebrex brought me instant relief but those darn hives finally got to me, told the doc the itch was better than the pain but alas had to give it up.  Having lots of problems with ankle and turns out after PT, custom inserts, New Balance 927 heel support shoes that it is not going to get any better.   I found a brace that helps but it is harder to walk very far.  Riding my bike more and use the Gator more on the property. I am determined to keep active. My MO tells me the arthritisis is accelerating due to the thyroid cancer not the BC, not so sure with my luck maybe both are pestering me!!

Jo thinkin of you cheering for a pesky fibroid!!

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442
    Options

Jo thoughts going your way

Great news sherry

Good visit with BS. I did not have the genetic test done last year so we talked about getting it done since I found out when my aunt died she had lung cancer due to mets. Now with my dad it would be a good idea. She told me to talk to MO next month about a bone scan.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Carollynn I know what you mean about allergies.  I cannot take Ibuprophen or Naproxin sodium.  Allergic to both of them.  For some reason Celebrex I am not which I am happy about.

mjbmiller glad you had a good visit with the BS.  I had the BRCA testing done and was glad.  Mine was negative so gave me one less thing to worry about. But if it had been possitive I would have had my ovaries removed.  Knowledge is power.

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110
    Options

Sherry, great news on your x-ray.

(((( Jo ))))

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    Options

Hi ladies.  Newbie here.  Just signing in to say I had my head shaved last night.  I couldn't stand the shedding, and the hair coming out in clumps. My hubby shaved his head in support.  I found the whole experience very liberating.  I am going to work today with my wig, but have some beaubeaus on order that I will probably switch to once they come in.  I just feel strange in the wig.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572
    Options

Hi neecee welcome!  Im sorry that we have to meet this way.  This is a good group of gals to meet and we are glad your here with us.  Several of my male family shaved there hair in support of me also.  I thought it was sweet.  I havent wore a wig so I cant give ya any tips there.  I just loved the scarfs and such, so I just stuck with them.  I figured since I didnt have to style my hair I could wear matching headware instead.  Good luck with your treatment.  If you have any questions the gals here are very helpful.

• elimar
    Options
    neecee,  is your avatar doggie wearing your wig, or she get her own?  Tres chic!  Wink
  • neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    Options

elimar - the doggie is wearing his own wig, but mine sure looks a lot like it!  lol!  It is a pictoral of how I feel in my wig.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    Options

Neece - love the dog w/the wig.  Our animals are always so supportive.

Elimar - love your sense of humor

Jo - Ugh to the Fibroid, but glad they can do the surgery right away and get it over with (((hugs)))

mjb/sherry - Sorry to hear that you both are having back pain.  As an arthritis sufferer (AS) for many years I can sympathize.  I learned a really easy stretch at PT that helps.  Lay on the bed with your shoulders on the bed, but let one leg hang off the side for 3 minutes, repeat on the other side.  If you're really tight bring the leg on the bed bent with knee out up to you and hold.  It's really simple, but stretches the muscles in the hip area and gives relief. Good luck.

I am getting neupogen shots for week one of the cycle and neulasta for week two, it didn't help. I'm glad the transfusion was offered because I was going to beg.........I was so tired.  I am still sluggish, but not nearly as bad as I was prior to the transfusions.  I'll get more labs next week and see where I am.

Jenn

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    Options

neecee-love the avatar.

I had a wig that I got from american cancer society.  It's still in a bag hanging on my bedroom doorknob.  I loved scarves & hats & since it was summer time the wig was too hot.  I've never liked myself in hats & scarves before chemo & now that my hair is back - my jury is out on whether I should still wear them, but LOVED that freedom when I was hairless to pick & chose what to wear! (once I got over the initial shock of being shaved.  I used to threaten to do that & said I would just have a variety of wigs to wear for whatever mood struck-then it happened & I never once wore the wig-go figure!)   

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336
    Options
    Hi all Saw my OD today and all is about the same.  I have only 2 chemo left.  We are heading to the beach next week the 18th -25th I either hurt at home or at the beach.  I say the beach I can always sit on the screened in porch and read and relax.  EPH3 I felt the same way about wigs I just stick a hat or scarf on my head and call it a day and sometimes nothing at all.  After the initial shock of not having hair I feel ok about it now.  My family calls it my party wig so far no party yet.  I hope everyone has a good night.
  • elimar
    Options
    Chemo gals, when you had (or are having) treatment, do the docs say anything about bug bites?  We were kind of mentioning them as far as keeping an LE arm free of bites, but I was wondering if there is any extra danger of bites during chemo (or any extra danger using a chemical spray to keep them off?)
  • elimar
    Options
    lynniea, the finish line is in sight!  Have a great time at the beach.  Relax and enjoy!
  • reesie
    Options
    Elimar, I never even thought of it - I should probably ask since it's summer time in Jersey so the mosquitos will be rampant and I spend a lot of time outside (I hate air conditioning air so I sit outside and read in the evenings when the air is on - even though it's on for me Smile).
  • reesie
    Options

Okay, got a call today at work from my BS - She says hi, how are you feeling?  I say well I thought I was fine but then you're calling me so why don't you tell me.  So now I'm not fine, I'm having a small heart attack getting this kind of unexpected call when I have a normal follow up appointment already next week with her.

Turns out she was just calling because my MO discussed my scan results with her and wants her to remove my right breast now (he told me he was going to be discussing further options with her yesterday). She didn't realize I already had an appt next week and was calling to let me know this was the plan and to set up an appt (she didn't tell me to set it up, her partner did when she was out on medical leave).  

Well, at least I wasn't the only one to have the small heart attack.  Turns out she called my DH and left a message on his cell phone to call her (his cell was the main contact # in the beginning of my DX) before she called my work #.