MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Oh Elimar weird twinges, zingers etc go on for a minimum of a year. I too am paranoid and now that I had a lumpectomy on both breasts Sept.4th there are all kinds of strange feelings and pains going on constantly. I am betting your Dr. will reassure you on Thursday.

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Elimar - The first six months or so after surgery was just a festival of fun as far as nerve regeneration is concerned. They're angry, and rightfully so. I'd still mention it to a doctor, just to be sure, but it's likely that some connection was re-established in there somewhere and it will calm down in a couple of weeks. Which might seem like longer, unfortunately.

Donny Osmond was in a TERRIBLE movie a year or so ago - College Road Trip - but he was SOOOO funny in it that when we rented it, I kept replaying all of his funny parts. If I ever see it on a clearance table at Blockbuster for $3.99 or less, I will have to buy it, only to watch Donny as the epitome of a cornball embarrassing parent.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Kleenex, I'm sensing secret childhood crush? 

[Edit:  That's a mini-topic right there...My oldest friend tried to force me into having a crush on Greg Brady (Brady Bunch) but I wasn't havin' it!  I kinda liked those little Cowsills boys (saw 'em at my State Fair long ago.)   The Beatles and The Monkees are a given.]

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,502
    Hope you enjoy the new "home" for the thread  Wink
  • Rachel_BC
    Rachel_BC Member Posts: 679

Hmmm nice new place!  Seems comfy here!  ::::settling in:::  Just get my princess phone and my platform shoes, my puka shell necklace and my hukapoo shirts ....  fold up my jacket at the cuffs, wear two izod shirts with the collars up... RED nail polish and purple blush.... 

• elimar

My Dear Moderators,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!   I know there has been sentiment of "how many times can you sub-divide the forums" so thank you for finding us a deserving group and helping us find one another more easily.

(((Hugs))) and I'm not a big cyber-hugger, so you are getting my first ones!   ~~~Elimar

• elimar

My Dear Moderators,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!   I know there has been sentiment of "how many times can you sub-divide the forums" so thank you for finding us a deserving group and helping us find one another more easily.

(((Hugs))) and I'm not a big cybe-hugger, so you are getting my first ones!   ~~~Elimar

• Nebraskagrandma
    Nebraskagrandma Member Posts: 137

Elimar,

Congrats on getting the new home for us ! awesome............................

The way I download pics is by downloading one that ha already been sent somewhere, like Shutterfly, or Facebook. Then I copy and paste it to the post a Reply box......................

• elimar

I was using Photobucket, and I'm new at that.

[Edit: I followed Faith's instructions below, found out how to tweak the properties, and finally was able to downsize my giant dog pic to something not so overpowering.  Thanks again Faith.]

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

Whooooohooooooooioioioioioioioiooooooooooooooooo!!

A new home for the Middies.

I expect we'll have 10 times the 'members' now!

Good thinking, Elimar to have our very own forum.

Thank you mods for moving the whole thing in one swoop!

As to 'sizing' for photographs: you don't want to exceed 600 in either direction, or it will stretch the page out forever. You do want to keep the same sort of proportions though and that can be a tad bit tricky to begin with.

So if you get the info that the pic is 1047 by 789 --

reduce it to 600 (left to right) by approx 450 (top to bottom)

It takes a while to figure out, but you'll be glad that you did!!

These are our twinsie grand-kiddos at 18 months -- out for a walk at the park.

Hope it brings a smile.

• Nebraskagrandma

faith

How did you know that would make me smile ? Precious ! You must be enjoying the heck out of them :o)

I was thinking that is what our two youngest Grandkids seem like when they're here. One will be two in January and the other will be two in May. Both of the Mom's are due again this April. The big difference of course is we don't ALWAYS have the two of them together ! One little guy lives in Kansas, the other here.

Thabks for sharing,

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383

I like our new digs. I unpacked my transistor radio and 8 track tape player, hung up my Bobby Sherman poster, dabbed on my Tigress cologne and am now sitting in my beanbag chair watching my lava lamp.

The grand-babies are adorable. I'm flying down to SoCal in January to see mine. She will be 3 on Christmas Eve...our very own Christmas blessing...

Linda

•   How do we get to this new home again? I was there to tell the moderators I thought it was a good idea, but didn't keep the info.   Will people still be posting on here also? 

•   Now I am noticing this says forum....is this it?  Duh.  Pardon my slowness. 

• elimar

.Marybe. this whole thread moved under a Forum (sub-heading) called "Middle-Aged Women 40-60(ish) with Breast Cancer."  You can find it the same as always, but new people coming to the thread will now spot this Forum easier than when the thread was hiding in the "Younger 'Women" Forum.  (See that Forum Index tabat top of page?)

Plus, now if anyone else wants to make a specific topic for this age group of women, they can open their own thread in this Forum too.

Example:  There are other Memories threads, but we've had some ongoing interest here in the past few days...Someone (not me, I got my hands full) might want to open a Memories thread specifically for our age group.  Anyone?

Edit:  NativeMainer took me up on the offer.  Check it out.

• Somuch
    Somuch Member Posts: 21

thanks for all the nip. feedback. I like the Idea of no protrusions but with the skin sparing Tram there are stitches in circle around what could become the nips and just a flat circle of skin in the middle. It does look unfinished. Oh well, no decision needed just yet.

My four cats and my sweet little dog are the best! Entertaining, and very loving. Yes all the cats come when called and the five of them play well together. Roxy came in third in a dog-o-ween contest and donated her $10.00 gift certificiate to Moffit Cancer center, now isn't she a smart dog? 

• moonbuddy
    moonbuddy Member Posts: 23

Kudos to you Elimar!

Thanks Moderators!

Elimar, I had my partial MX on 10/12 and this past couple of weeks have been having quite a bit of lighteing like strikes in whatever you would call what's left of my breast.  So wierd looking, even I haven't found a name, never saw anything that shape or level of, well i don't know what to call it.  It's going anyway in Jan.  I have just made the assumption its nerve endings firing off.  Although, the surgeon told me i'd probably be completely numb there, i'm not at all.  Only nerve numbness i have is back of my shoulder from SLN procedure.  Anyway, as already advised, i'd ask the dr. and if it's not nerves, better let me know!!! 

Was raining after work when i walked dogs today.  Got clear down to the boat ramp, 'bout a mile, and it thundered! Oh MY GOSH! Buddy is afraid of all loud noises.  So here, I have Moon who has reduced hearing from a bath, just walking along smelling everything after we turned around, rambling around on our way  back.  Buddy, thank God he's smaller, is running in the air!  I have him by a two hand hold, with Moon just one.  So he's got me and Moon holding him back and he's scared to death, running in the air as Moon rambles on.......got to the car, i'm laughing out loud as i write this, i opened up back of my SUV(Knows that's not green, i blush with shame, but honestly Moon won't fit anywhere else), and Buddy touches down once in the back and then flew over the passenger seat and landed in the front well below front passenger seat.  It was like: Boom-boomland!  I've never seen such leaps before!!!! Everytime i start really getting into my book, i think of it and start laughing again.  He's in bathroom undersink undercovers as we speak. Still thundering outside.   

Oh thankyou guys, for your pictures and grandkids and pet stories and one really cool love story. 

G'nite!

Marian

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645

thanks moderators for your assistance-

Ladies i hope you are all enjoying fall and the cool evenings..some of our evenings have been a little on the nippy side...can't beleive it will soon be Thanksgiving again. Last year i have the yuck mouth, the taxotere was kicking butt and taking names and i slept the whole week of thanksgiving away...my how much can change in a year.

I hope you ladies have a great evening and that this week will be great.

• queenlurker
    queenlurker Member Posts: 34

Thanks to all that placed us in the middle between younger and older-just perfect.  Of course my mind never shuts off and I am looking to the future.  What happens when we are more than say 60ish?  I vote "once a middie always a middie." 

I was also told would be numb after mx-they didn't have my surgery and I am not numb. 

Great to hear about all the accomplishments-sorry I missed the book party.  Perhaps a party to celebrate our new home!  Do not expect me to be wearing a pixie with uneven bangs .  I might wear something from high school though, something to go with the grey curls, oh yah, the dungaree's. 

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Yay! A whole forum for us! Now I don't need to wonder if it was the Lesbian forum or Young Women or whatever...

Donny Osmond is a recent attraction for me. I loathed him during my formative years - looked like he had a lot of extra teeth. I kinda thought Peter Brady was cute, but in general, I have been resistant to "teen idols." From an early age I've had this sort of pragmatic nature that sucked the fun out of things. "This guy is a celebrity and I will never meet him, and girls everywhere are throwing themselves at him - so why bother?" But ooooooooh, Donny as an annoying singing dad - cracks me up.

A final nipple comment - I would totally do the tattoos for visual effect. It was the whole issue of "permanent protrusion" that I had difficulty with...

It's important that I contaminate our new Forum location with a weather update - just responding to bettysgirl above. Our forecast for the next week is about as perfect as it gets: highs in the mid- 70's and lows in the upper 50's to low 60's. The trees are all doing their fall thing - it's FABULOUS in Texas right now!

• Mazy1959
    Mazy1959 Member Posts: 254

Thank you Mods !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are great.

• Nebraskagrandma

Moonbuddy,

Thanks for the great laugh ! You've described it so well. What a sight it must have been !

smithlme,

What a precious gift to get for Christmas Eve. I'll bet you can't wait to go see her. We are going to NC over Thanksgiving to see 3 of my Grandchildren that I haven't seen since a year ago Labor Day week-end.

Kleenex,

I've said it before I'll say it again, I LOVE TEXAS ! back from San Antonio just a week ago.

Blessings my friends,

have a great week !

• cmharris59
    cmharris59 Member Posts: 111

Just a thought about the nips discussion.... I have always liked mine erect or otherwise. I have been devastated over the loss of my left breast tissue and the nipple from the skin sparing mx. I actually asked my plastic surgeon why they couldn't do something similar as the penile implant when they do recon... add a little pump that I can discreetly pump up the new nipple when aroused or the weather is cold and a valve to turn the "headlights" off when required.  I am still pushing for it.

C

• cmharris59

And ...

my breast mound has complete feeling, albeit not erotic feeling. All numbness has gone and I am 2 yrs past mx.  I am still awaiting recon and had the TE filled another 70ccs a couple of weeks ago. First fill since Feb 2008 and my muscles are having a spasm free for all.  I told my PS that I am afraid that the recon will cause me to lose all feeling in the new breast again and I am not ready to give it up for a second time. Maybe I am too demanding?!?! Pumped up nips and a breast with feeling after mx?!?! But hey, if we don't ask for it, the docs will never consider it. 

Just my 2 cents...

C

• moonbuddy
    moonbuddy Member Posts: 23

cmharris.

.Question: Breast mound has complete feeling.......I don't understand i guess. I'm not having reconstruction, at least not right away after BMX.  You had spacers put in or something? Does that entail what for you? What's in there or out there that you can feel?  If that's not too intrusive a question.

Nebraska, thanks.  I'm kinda embarrassed about always posting about Moon and Buddy, but they are my friends, my roomates, the largest part of my life really. Pretty shy, don't have much to do with anyone outside work, and mainly just stick with my folks (92,90) for socialization except people i meet on River Road walking the dogs.  It's the one constant I adhere to. I have to be really sick not to walk them.

Queenlurker,

I already thought about that.  How cool, though.  I now am getting to know an entire group of incredible people who are going to be ageing with me.  With upcoming surgery and recovery i don't see me leaving the forum for at least a year. 

One reason i stick to this forum (nice to say forum, not thread) is i'm making friends, who i'm even starting to remember names and some people i remember where they live, if not, most of us have that posted, really like that.  Like to look where people live and wish i was there.

A dream of mine: I so badly want to move to Alb./Sante Fe area of New Mexico.  Have dreamed of it for years.  Even since divorce somethings always held me back.  Now I would never leave while folks are alive.  But then i think about my grandkids.  Then, and this has to be common for all of us, I think, at what point can i move where i want?  When i'm too old to enjoy it?  First, it was your husband and kids, then kids, now grandkids, But damn, i don't even know how i'd accomplish it, but i really know, if i don't do it soon, i won't.  Input, do you guys get to see your grandkids?  i'm two hours away now.  But the expense of driving down there for everything is rather cost prohibitive. I could move closer and work in Lawrence, but there's few places more expensive.  Believe it or not, New Mexico is less expensive than Lawrence, KS.  Besides, if i moved, there's no saying both my kids won't eventually move.  55, divorced many years, no dates, damn that's not my choice, must be the small home town thing and i don't drink.  Actually don't really socialize, but in New Mexico there's everything to do and it doesn't cost. (Can you tell i've been there? :)  I have MS also.  I will say, change in drs. scare me, but that's just natural. Oh gosh, you guys, we're all within the same age range, I'm always going to be working,on limited income.  Own my house here, but if something happens i can't afford to fix it.  Sell after my parents are gone and go?  Rent, so i don't have to worry about upkeep. Can't manage it on my own.  What are your thoughts?  I can't follow my kids around, they'd be annoyed for sure.  I don't know they'll stay down there.  HELP? 

Marian

• cmharris59

Marian,

I had a skin sparing unilateral mx in Nov 2007 with immediate placement of a tissue expander behind the muscle.  It is kind of a placeholder for the recon. I could not do immediate recon due to needing rads 6 mths later. If you read my bio it is fairly clear about the timelines of my treatments. 

I had two breast surgeons and two plastic surgeons in attendance during my mastectomy.  Right after the surgery I had a lot of muscle pain and pain from the SNB, but the surface of my skin was numb from my collarbone to just below my breast and from my underarm to my elbow.  After two years I have regained all of the feeling in these areas. As I said it is not erotic, like my other breast is, it is more like touching the skin on my arm or leg or abdomen. I suppose eventually it could be an erogenous zone, but without a nipple it will never be the same.

I am trying to get the recon scheduled now. I am planning on a DIEP. My PS says that I may lose some of the feeling that I have regained, after the DIEP, but that it could be minimal and it may come back just as it did this time.

Hope this helps

C

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Holy crap! You've had an expander all this time and then have to do a DIEP? I thought they could do that without the T/E's? I understand that you can feel the skin....but I've always wondered - when they cut the nerves that gave me such pleasure to my nipples, where did those nerve endings end up? My belly button? My toes? They MUST be somewhere! I am still numb one year out....

Marian, I drive one HOUR to work each way! You could move to where you really want to be and still be visited by your kids! Mine live an hour away and I only see them occassionally. They have their lives to live (2 are newly weds) and I can't demand to see them more....sigh. 2 - 2 1/2 hours is nothing....really. You have the right to your dream now. Laughing

• Morgan513
    Morgan513 Member Posts: 303

Not to change the subject but did anyone like David Cassidy??

Lorrie 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Like, do me David.....Kiss....oh, yah....baby!
  • cmharris59

Yes! I still have my TE! It is frustrating!  My understanding is that if they do delayed recon without the TE then you either:

a. have to have your skin "expanded" to allow for the new breast... or

b. have to use you belly skin as the cover for the mound, resulting in a patch surgery.

As it is, I have nearly all of my outer breast skin covering the TE. My first TE failed and became infected because it was placed behind my pectoral muscle FULLY expanded... talk about pain!  The second was placed in same place partially filled. I had a few fills and I was back to my pre-BC size. Unfortunately, after rads the TE rode up my chest and is now about 4 in" higher on my chest than my good boob. Even though I don't think that I am sagging much with the good boob it looks like it. It is horrible when I am naked.  Also if I go braless now, it looks like my good side is the one that had a mx. It is so much flatter relative to the TE.

I don't know about the nip nerves, but I know my PS wants me to see a "nerve doctor" for my anxiety. That was his term for the psychiatrist not mine. LOL

C

C