MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

I haven't had reconstruction, but you ladies might be amused by a conversation I had with my poor husband during the brief 48 hours during which I had a bilateral scheduled (I ended up canceling it and going with a lumpectomy instead, which was the right thing for me). Forever, I have been plagued with very temperature sensitive nipples - you can always tell when I'm cold, and apparently I'm cold a lot. So I usually end up with bras with some padding to hide the nipples. It's always hard to find bras that handle this problem without making my boobs a lot bigger. When I read about the bilateral procedure and realized that the nipples would be gone because they're connected to the ductwork and therefore have to be removed with the bilateral in cases of invasive breast cancer, I was a little horrified. But then I though, WOW!!! This could be PERFECT for me! I could skip the nipple replacement process and be able to go braless and never have nipple show through again!

Unfortunately, my husband did NOT share my enthusiasm for this idea. Which is when it occured to me that because men are so "visual," there was no way he'd ever get on board with this fabulously practical idea. If I'd have done the bilateral, I'd have done SOMETHING to get new nipples - for him.

My sister, she of the big boob job 11 years ago, once joked that "nipples are the new black."

Okay - probably inappropriate, but SOMEONE out there has to get the idea of the practicality of being nipple-free from a woman's point of view...

Meanwhile, y'all are making me wish I had a dog!

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

I was wondering about Nebraskag'ma myself.

Thanks so much for taking the time to put up the Mandela quote. I've read it before, but it really hits the spot for where I am currently and how I want to continue evolving.

Maybe we could each look for a good quote to share once a week..... something uplifting. Encouraging.

Kudos to Omaha for this piece of  inspiration. Could we have prizes??

(****as contributed from photobucket, via the little green tree: LOL)

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

OmahaGirl, I don't know about pets into purses...That's a lot more radical than just bathing them!  SurprisedWink

If you have ever watched the t.v. show "Scrubs," let's just say that my teens think we should do our dog like Rowdy when the time comes.  Taxidermy!

• Nebraskagrandma
    Nebraskagrandma Member Posts: 137

Omaha Girl...............

I'm backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk, I started back several times. I would see how far behind I was and started to read and just couldn't get to the end ! I started at the next to the last page this time !

Greetings all old friends and newbies !

We went to Dallas Oct 28th -30th to visit friends that recently retired there, and then on to San Antonio to spend Halloween with my daughter and her family. We got home on the 2nd of Nov. and seems I've been running since ! Will try to post a picture from Halloween in Texas.

Somuch,

I had a unilateral July '08, recon with switch out expander for implants Nov. 08. On Aug. 10th I had a lift to the natural side, with tissue from that site used to do nipple recon. As far as the nipple recon, no problem. I am very happy with it, not terribly prominent but if I'm just wearing sports bra you can see a nip. Which is sort of important to me since I have a natural one also. I had a big problem with healing on the lift side, no one's fault just something that happens. I am finally over the hump on and not seeing the PS for a month this time. Hope that helps some......

Blessings, my friends

Paula

• Nebraskagrandma

My daughter's adopted dog Lucy, kinda hard to tell what she is from this angle,

She's a Doctor, she has a surgery scrub hat on. 

!

My Son-in-law the real Doctor getting Abby ready for Trick or Treating,

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Go-Go boots and Lemon-Up!!!!

Omaha, THAT was the quote I was trying to parse a couple pages back. Thanks!

Paula, your DD married a doctor? Lucky her.....Money mouth

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

elimar--I love the "Monkey Butler" concept--and so true, too!  My own Snookie (95 pounds of elderly German Shepherd) first ignores me when I tell her it's time for a bath, then she lies down and goes to "sleep," then she slinks down the hallway to the bathroom.  Once I get her in the bathroom and get her collar off she will step into the tub and submit to the whole procedure. But she does certainly soak me and the entire bathroom when she shakes off.  So I always wash her naked, and take a shower myself after, then mop the floor and wipe down the walls.  Lots of work but I get a clean dog, clean shower, clean bathroom and clean me out of it!

Kleenex--I certainly understand about the nipple thing.  I've had a left mast and planning a right mast with bilat recon next summer.  I haven't decided about nipples, but the idea of not having to worry about 'headlights' is very attractive.  Of course, I'm single, so I only have to please myself.  I'm thinking about 3D tatooing,

Nebraskagrandma--adoraable pictures! 

•  Of course I remember sun in and used it on my long tresses.  And I too loved the drive-in, but was not allowed to go to them for a long time when I was still under parental control because that was not where you went to watch a movie....it was where guys and girls made-out.  There was actually a drive in movie/twin screen/ still up and running in my home town until this past summer.  The Scioto Breeze.   It showed first run movies and there would always be a double feature on each screen.  I don't know why it closed, maybe kids aren't into movies that much any more.  I myself think someone should buy it and start it up again and turn the town into sort of a return to Happy Days sort of place. The downtown is so dead, but they do have a college and so much could be done with the place but no one has the vision to do it.  It's a nice little river town and what used to be the old downtown/ pre-20s, before flood which is what everyone marks time by The 1937 flood, they are trying to revive.  I always spend a lot of time there when I am home if I am not busy stripping wallpaper or painting or doing something at my Dad's (Is it coming together and looks soooo good) going to the little junk shops, looking for treasures.  The part that was the actual down town when I was growing up is now just a bunch of empty buildings,  I think that if someone with a little imagination,( OK, maybe a lot of imagination and also it would take a lot of money,) could revive the town..  It's a college town now and kids need places to shop and eat and drink coffee.  I plan on getting invloved when I move back here one day.  Wow, I sure do get off the subject   Drivein movies got me inspired.  

Sandy,  I had immediate reconstruction, slicone which I have had no problems with and whenever I am at a hospital or somewhere get compliments on how good it looks.  I think this is because the scar healed nicely and it's just a nice smooth firm boob (much unlike my saggy baggy real one, but I make do with hitching up my bra stap).  I did not get a nipple...don't know where they get tissue from now, but in 98 wanted no part of them taking it from where they were talking about.  Also I did not feel the need for a tattoo.  I got the implant for me.  Got it so my clothes would fit.  I did not get it for anyone else to view.  I was single at the time, had just turned 40 and had many boyfriends after my mastectomy.  Even though I was always self conscious about telling them I wasn't quite normal, not a one of them seemed to care one bit that I didn't have a nipple.  So I think it is a personal choice and entirely up to you.  Sometimes I actually wish I had both of my breasts removed. 

Elimar,   I will do the forum thing even though I am not sure what it is or how to do it.  I love this group of ladies. 

I love dogs and dog stories.  Oddly enough I never liked cats, but now I have a cat and I love him.  He is much better behaved than our dogs, but that is my husband's fault.  He doesn't make the dogs mind at all.  I am the one who went to obedience school with them. 

•   The little witch is darling   Does anyone remember Little Itch?  She was Witch Hazel's little niece.  I just can't help reverting to the past when I find people who know and remember with me. 

• valeriekd
    valeriekd Member Posts: 79
    Elimar I think your hound must love and understand you and the long winter well b/c my little pootch (no idea what breed) would have been rolling in every single scent he could find after the fine efforts of a bath. He always looks proud tho - not vindictive- as if I have given him a clean sate to work with! Do we love our dogs b/c they celebrate life soooooooo well? Valerie
  • sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Elimar.... You have just been awarded for <WRITER OF THE MONTH>.

Your post made me so lol because I could just see that dogs face.

Nebraskagrandma....God Bless the children, all children.

now I'm going out to get little exercise.

Wink Sheila

• elimar

Ah, that's precisely why the leash must go on quick.  After all these years, I understand her too well.  My hound is especially good a locating old baby bird carcasses in fallen eggs, extra pungent, and having a good roll.  Too nasty!

[See Below:  She looks innocent enough, don't be fooled.]

• elimar

I know this pic is on the blurry side, but it's a good example of the kind of torment we put our pet through. Stay, girl.

Photobucket

• moonbuddy
    moonbuddy Member Posts: 23

Oh wow!

Beautiful dog!!! I also have two cats, who when they feel like it, will sit on my lap, just as I was going to get up and go to the bathroom.  But i'm so shocked and flattered that they decided to favor me with their presence that i'll hold it forever!

This is true-I swear!  Moon had one bath in his life, turned into a shower actually, me and him, weighing about the same, had no choice.  HE HAD A STROKE!!!!!  Only lasting effect, is that he cannot hear very well.  Needless to say, he has never had or never will have another!  I just comb the heck out of him.  Of course if Moon doesn't have one, you don't need to think that Buddy will. I couldn't catch him for the life of me, the one time i tried.  They do like rain and snow, figure that's close enough.

Of course we love our animals.  They love us unconditionally, like elimar said, after the bath, by gones are by gones.

Great day to all,

Heading out to walk the spoiled guys! (should be mowing the yard one last time).

Marian

• Nebraskagrandma

This is my Little Witch and her Brother at our house on the 4th of July, (Adam and Abby)

Barbe,

My daughter is married to a Doctor, they did it together. High School sweet hearts, then college. They were married between his 2nd and 3rd year of college. He was ROTC and went active duty Army upon graduation from college. They were stationed in Kansas, Washington DC, then Germany. She encouraged him to take the test for med school, Adam born in DC 2001 and Abby born in Germany 2002. After 2 years in Germany he was accepted into med school and so back to DC for 4 years. He graduated in May 2008, and is now doing his Radiology Residency in San Antonio. He is a Major in the Army, and what makes us most proud is that he is a really great guy. (You saw how he was with Abby getting ready for T&T.) They had a plan together and they made their dream come true.

So ready for the really freaky part of this, I am marrying his Dad next summer.Kiss I am a widow since 1998 and he is divorced since 1999. We have been together since 2000, but I can't remarry until after I'm 60 or I will lose benefits. So we will marry on the second anniversary of my Breast Cancer Surgery. Adam will give me away and Abby will walk with Grandpa. These two are "our" Grandchildren together. Pretty Crazy HUH ? My S.O. has been such a stand-up guy through all of this he never thought of doing anything but being right by my side.

Elimar,

That is a cute picture of your dog torture, I will have to post some pics of my two cats. One day when my sister was here I called one of them and as she said, "Paula cats don't come when you call them" He came prancing down the stairs Smile

Blessings my friends !!

• PattiB
    PattiB Member Posts: 107

Paula - Beautiful story and beautiful grandchildren & doggy!!!

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441

DH and I owned a Mom & Pop store about 5 yrs ago and we sold all sorts of nostalgia candy.  One was call Lick a stick probably like the Lick a maid candy, the stick was edible also.  The flying saucers we sold also and alot of Willy Wonka candy.

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441

Nebraskamom, those grand kids are cuties.

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653

Paula,  I love the story.  I hope everything works out for you.  Beautiful grandchildren.

Juannelle

• Paula, That is a wonderful story.   I hope you live happily ever after.  

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383

Paula, I loved your story. I wish your whole family nothing but love and joy...

Linda

• elimar

Nebraskagrandma, thanks for sharing your story, that's pretty amazing!  (Please send me a PM on how to control those photo sizes.  I must be misssing something.)

Deborye, I posted on a memories thread about those "flying saucer": candies from back when I was a kid.  It was years and years before I came across them in a store, so my kids finally did see (and taste) what I had told them about.  I cannot remember if they ever went by any other name?

Thanks to the women on here who also went on my other thread that is a request to the moderators to create a Middle-Aged forum heading. I have also sent a PM asking about creating this, but haven't had a reply.  We've been hiding out on the Younger Women forum long enough, I hope the request is not overlooked.

•    I do not remember the flying saucer candies for some reason.  I do remember these little flying saucer toys that I actually think came in boxes of cereal. Cant swear to that, but I think they came in something and know for sure it was NOT a box of crackerjacks because they were larger.  You would push this button or maybe it was a  string you pulled ( my memory is obviously getting shakey or maybe it's because I just woke up) and they would take off.  They were actually sort of a dangerous toy, but they were fun.  I hate to think there is a candy that I missed out on.  Do you remember licorice that came rolled up and there was a little red candy in the middle so they looked like a little record? 

• Elimar,  I forgot to comment on the pic you posted.  That is one good dog.  She must be very well trained as well as patient to not gobble that treat up.  I was making dog treats all eveing for a church bazzaar that is going to be on Tues.  I love to bake and at one time that was an idea I had since it is very hard to break into the baking business unless you have an item that is unique, such as the cupcakes that made the Magnolia Bakery famous.  I had been to some dog specialty stores and bakeries in NO and Sarasota and they had not yet hit here so I started making fancy dog treats and would give them to patients and people I knew who had dogs and give them a post card with the treat name and little boxes to rate how their dog liked them.  Another one of my great ideas that never got very far out of my head.  I come up with ideas and someone else and someone else does also, but the difference is, they actually do something with their ideas. Someone remembered this and asked if I would make some treats for their pet booth at the church bazaar.  I have been testing them on my dogs and the dog biscuits are fine, but the cat will have nothing to do with the cat treats I made.  Maybe he's like Morris or maybe they are just a flop.  Anyway, Elimar, I like your dog.  My cat will come when I call him. I always say he minds beter than the dogs.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

My DH had never been a cat person, ever. So when we met I already had a cat and he decided that "he wanted his own cat". So we got a little gray kitten and DH was stuned and amazed when it curled up in his lap! "Look! It's all tucked in!" he said. (He couldn't believe a cat could make all it's legs AND tail disappear underneath themselves.) Then he would whistle for it and I told him NO cat will come for a whistle. Well, it's 16 years later and that is the ONLY cat that will come for a whistle! We've have gotten three others since and none of them will come!

•     Maybe because it is HIS cat?  This was the thrid home for my cat and he's just the sweetest thing ever.  My only complaint is the hair....it is long and goes everywhere.

• elimar
    Marybe, I DO remember the "licorice records" but on the memories thread, no one else seemed to.  Hmmmm. I knew I wasn't crazy.  About that anyway.  The "flying suacers" were like two convex communion wafers sealed at the edges, with small candy BBs inside.  We could eat the whole thing, bite a little opening and eat the BBs first, or carefully separate the two halves and perform a Eucharist ceremony on two friends.  Then again, my pals liked to think that each color of M&Ms conferred its own special power (flying, invisibility, hold breath indefinitely, etc.)   As a kid, I always hated the way the red M&Ms tasted and gave them away, and I go back to when they did use the Red #2.  Well, I still got B/C--hope the friends I pawned the red ones off on fared a little beter than I did.
  • elimar

O.K., it's Monday morning so I'm going to get back to a B/C question.  For the past few days I have been having soreness in the nipple.  Not swelling, not redness, just an underneath soreness in the duct work.  Remember I am about 3 weeks out of rads and my surgery site was close to the nipple area.  To me it doesn't seem to be related to the rads (although the nip was in the boost area.)  I am thinking that it might finally be my nerves healing underneath as the feeling does seem to be coming back.  Has this happened to some of you, with this kind of afte-the-fact nipple soreness?  And yes, I will ask a doc, but not til Thurs.  Thought I'd ask here for the time being.

• carolinachick
    carolinachick Member Posts: 135

Kleenex - I'm also always cold, and I hadn't thought of the advantages of not having nipples.  If I ever end up having a mastectomy, I'll have to remember that!  Too funny!

It was a beautiful day here yesterday, and I also had the idea to wash the dogs.  Well, we all ended up soaking wet, but at least they are clean and fluffy now.

I remember Sun-in and baby oil with iodine in it.  Being Scandinavian that really wasn't what I needed up put on my skin, and I always ended up lobster red. 

Elimar - I had some sharp pains in my breast after rads.  My onc said that it was the nerves healing and not to be concerned about it.  It lasted about a month or two, but I haven't noticed it lately.

• DomeGal
    DomeGal Member Posts: 2

Good Morning all...I stumbled across this site Friday morning before work....I chime in with the "Chemo Sept. 09" group.  I am halfway through my chemo....I was reading about Ditto pants, saddle back shoes and some of the other stuff that was being blogged about....I do remember drive-in movie theaters where you went to NOT watch the movie....just brought back so many memories of days before cancer....or even having to worry about getting cancer.  Just reading about the stuff from the 70's made me smile....told my BF about it and he looked at me like I was from another planet.  Wish that I could still fit into Dittos, but being a grandma and undergoing chemo with bloating and steroids...that will not be happening.  I had a bi-lateral mx in July and once chemo is done will be undergoing radiation and then FINALLY reconstruction....I have not thought too much about the nipple thing and am thinking of not having any....my "moon rocks" as I call the hard expanders are numb anyway...it is not looking likely that I will have any sensation on my chest...might get tattooed ones though!!

Keep the old memories coming....the days before pantsuits!  Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys...David Cassiday...Bobby Sherman....Donny Osmond (oh wait, he is still around on DWTS!)  Have a good week....