MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• BetsyBuzz
    BetsyBuzz Member Posts: 29

Meece,

I can totally relate on being a hard blood draw. Thursday was my three month visit PFC and my first blood draw without a port. My elbow is swollen and totally black & blue, but I am so thankful they got a vein on the first poke. I drank a three huge glasses of water before going...they say additional fluids helps pump up the volume of blood for a draw.  I had Adriamycin as one of my chemo drugs so they said no way would they even consider chemo on me without a port. I loved my port. As it was it always freaked me out when they put on the hazmat suit before giving me the injection into my catheter. Don't miss those days.

When did you finish chemo? They say for a year we can have the lingering effects of chemo brain.

RE: drinks...my taste buds did not return to normal until about two months out. Then the wine started tasting good again TG...just in time for rads. I followed the glass of red wine a day through rads study. I'm not sure my outcome was better with the wine, but enjoyed myself!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I am 5 years post chemo.  I am one of those rare women whose chemo brain didn't go away completely.  Not bragging, but I am a bright woman, and I have diffculty finding the word to fit in my sentences and remembering things, so this memory thing hits me hard.  I talked to my Onc. about if it lasting this long is possible, she said yes in rare cases.  Leave it to me...

I also had Adriamycin.  I still have difficulty drinking red koolaid, just a phsychological block.  They gave me popcicles tosuck on while receiveing the adriamycin, it was supposed to help prevent mouth sores, and it did, but I hate popcicles now.

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Barbe, sending you some good healing vibes as none of us need any more BC/BS.

This may be on here somewhere and I missed it, but did you all see the grow a new boob, experiment that will be tried out on humans in the very near future. I remember earlier this year someone saying "I bet someday we will be able to grow new boobs" guess that someday might be soon, sounds like Science Fiction doesn't it? Now if we could all get in a time machine and go back and grow boobs that didn't get cancer that would even be betterCool..

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

I need to kiss that puppy's soft little belly! I love puppies so much that I cannot ever even walk by a pet store because I want to take them all home.

• moonbuddy
    moonbuddy Member Posts: 23

Oh Barbe,

I'm so sorry.  Didn't you have a BiMX to prevent this?  I know it doesn't completely, but that just sucks!!!!

• desdemona222b
    desdemona222b Member Posts: 90

Barbe -

SO sorry you're going through the same hell again!! Cry  I'll keep you in my prayers!  Be sure and let us know how it's going!

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653

Good morning everyone, you guys have really been busy, you miss a couple of days and boy is it hard to catch up.

I had a tx on Friday and my husband came down with a cold, so I am staying at my cousin's house, so I wont get all my husband's koodies.  We wouldn't want that to happen.  So far so good.  I am feeling great and the SEs so far have been minimal.  I guess that is all you can ask for.

I love the puppies, they are so darn cute.

Juannelle

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Elimar - LOVE the Texas Toast as "double-wide piece of bread." In addition to which it's WHITE bread, saturated with butter-like fats. But you are right - I'm not truly a Texan, so my approval means nothing. Although I got a good laugh out of it and will likely steal it and use it with my Not From Texas Either friends.

Those puppies totally look like guinea pigs! SOOOOOOOOO cute! We have it all on this site now!

C.

• Yipeee, I now have an avitar.  Those are our two dogs.  Brattie, a rat terrier, and Harley , a silky.  We are now working on loading some pictures. 

• Nebraskagrandma
    Nebraskagrandma Member Posts: 137

Juannelle,

Stay well, praying for smooth sailing for you. Hope your Hubby feels better soon also !

Barbe,

Praying for you, sending positive loving thoughts your way

Hoping all our "Middle" Sisters have a great week................

Blessings,

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Since I did not have the chemo, I am not that familiar with the duration of it.  Is it approximatley six months, or is there a wide variance for individuals?  (I noticed the Rads was very similar in duration for all the women, depending on the initial type they were getting.)   Hang in there, Juanelle.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Maryb, surely you can get a better picture of your dogs than the south end of them going north! hehehehehe

Paula, thank you for your prayers, I'll take all I can get!

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653
    elimar, I like the reference to the Texas Toast, I probably will use the quote also.  The chemo is different for all of us.  Most of us with early dx and no mets, then we do 4 TC.  Others take long regiments of different drugs, boy I really feel for them.  The rads are about the same 5 or 6 weeks, that is pretty standard, unless you can get the accelerated ones that only go for a week.  I am going for th 5 to 6 weeks.

nebraskagrandma, thanks for the well wishes.  So far I am still doing good, but I am getting fatigued.  If that is all I have to endure, then I can do this.

Hello Barbe, marybe and kleenex don't wont to leave you guys out, so good morning to ya'll.

Juannelle

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I had 4 rounds of AC and 4 rounds of Taxol three weeks apart which meant my chemo lasted 21 weeks?  Five months, begain in February ended in July.  Boy that was a long stretch!  Then 6 weeks of daily rads. 

• carolinachick
    carolinachick Member Posts: 135

I had 4 rounds of TC three weeks apart, starting in February and ending in April.  Then 33 rounds of daily radiation. 

I also love the Texas toast doublewide comment.  We lived in Texas (Dallas area) for three years in the 80's, and everything really is bigger in Texas...including that yummy toast.  Although I do think it is much improved by adding some cheese to it.  But what isn't better with a little cheese???

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362

re: Texas Toast

Have a great day all!

Trish

• Nebraskagrandma
  • Nebraskagrandma

Our Little Sock Monkey, and his friends are sending you something to smile about Smile

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Paula, that is just too cute!

• elimar
    That's adorable!   Just don't lose sight of the blackmail possibilities once that boy is a teenager.  Innocent
  • cmharris59
    cmharris59 Member Posts: 111

Oh Paula,

Too cute! Love the Sock Monkey and his friends!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Oh, my, pics to make my day!

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the sock monkeys!!!!

That is the exact prescription that I needed tonight.

Thank you for knowing.

xx00xx00xx00xx00xx

Strength & courage.

Strength & courage.

Strength & courage....... to all in need.

• Nebraskagrandma

Thanks all, we love him to pieces

Strength & Courage

and Humor.................

and prayers

• Nebraskagrandma

Oh Yeah Elimar !!

I have many pics of all 11 Grandkids that I will be pulling out at High School Graduations and Weddings Wink

• elimar

I borrowed this from Seyla888,   It's all about our age group, so bring some comments.

http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20091116/panel-breast-screening-should-start-50

I already feel that I got a decade of boob-squishing mammo for naught, so that's not really a new concept to me. Yet, I know for others in the 40-50 age group, mammograms detected what they could not feel themselves, so it was their only route to early detection.

I don't know if I feel women should have annual mammos in that age group, or have them every other year; but I do know that mammos of that age group DO save lives with early detection.  I hope they do not change the guidelines to only start them at age 50.  That would be too late for so many.

In my case, the mammos didn't matter.  I was faithful about following the current guidelines, but had to do all the work and find the lump myself anyway.  To me, the article is most disturbing in that the Task Force recommends against self-exams claiming they have no value.  WTH!  Can I nominate myself as living proof?  Besides, why would anyone not encourage a woman to do something free and easy that can save her life.  That is just retarded!

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Thank you Elimar. This hits to close too home with 2 DD  age 32 and 29.

• Nebraskagrandma

I don't like these new guidelines at all, Amen Elimar ! what are they thinking ?

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Its a proposal. we already disgusted. If it passes they will have lot of angry Women shutting off traffic all over the US

• Nebraskagrandma

We haven't heard from Bettysgirl or Queenlurker for a while................. I hope they're OK !

• disneyfan
    disneyfan Member Posts: 1

I had my kids at age 30 and twins at 40.  I considered the first time I had my cancer in 2003, that the young kids age 4 twins and 12.  That it kept me up and going because I had no choice and I did not dwell on the cancer.  I recovered fairly quickly I even went to disneyworld between chemo and radiation.  My reoccurence this year, my kids are older but the twins are still only 10.  I have things I need to do for them since I am so far from family.