MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

SuzNY - I didn't have a choice of number of rads treatments or type of rads treatment. My tumor was in a goofy place, so I wasn't a candidate for those implantable things that can win you a much shorter rads cycle. I had about 25 regular zaps and 7 boosts to the area around the scar and the original tumor site. Have they given you a choice of treatments? Or did you hear about a shorter treatment and wonder if you could do that instead?

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

They gave me the choice, Rad onc said if it was up to her she would suggest the shorter, but it's my call.

• Elimar,  I forget really, but I would bet it would take a few weeks before you would experience anything. I don't think any of the meds cause instant SEs.  SInce I have this diarrhea problem my onco suggested I go off the aromasin for two weeks to see if it goes away...said it would take over a week for it to be out of my system. So I am assuming it would be over a week for it to get into your system.  I am not quitting the aromasin yet, by the way.  The onco at MDA thinks it is being caused by something other than the aromasin so since all the tests for bacterium were negative, I am now going to have a colonoscopy.  Be happy you aren't having hot flashes, etc. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones without any SEs at all. 

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

SHEILAWink

• SandraSchueller
    SandraSchueller Member Posts: 2

Thank you all for your helpful replies - Yes, I plan on doing the radiation but question being put on a drug for five years that will make me miserable.

When the surgeon said that he would put his wife on Tamoxifen or Arimidex in my situation, I had to listen. I do question being stage 0 rather this is really necessary however and will keep the appointment with the oncologist.

I will also search out the group with cancer at my stage - thanks!

Sandra

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    seyla888, are you trying to tell us something?
  • one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653

paula, I did misunderstand you, but I do think family input is important.  The decisions we make are so hard and usually come at us so fast, most of us don't know what to do at first.  I would do a few things differently now if I had a do over, but I would not change much.  Mostly there was a wait of 9 weeks between my surgery and my first chemo.  I would have insisted that I go to the Onc sooner to get it started.  But I may not have been able to change the time, even with a do over.

Juannelle

• sheila888

elimar.. This is making me so upset, I had to post something express my anger.

Of course I only posted on appropriate threads and yours was one of them.   ( 5 threads all together ). After all Dont want to look like a crazy woman.   LOL

Have a good day ladies.

Tongue out Sheila

• Nebraskagrandma
    Nebraskagrandma Member Posts: 137

Juannelle,

I understand what your saying, I had my SO and my best friend who is also a nurse with me when I received my biopsy results. My Son-in-law is a Doctor doing his Radiology Residency in San Antonio and My Oncology Surgeon made copies of everything and sent them to him. My Daughter was here for my surgery and her husband flew in the evening of my surgery. I have had alot of family and friend support. It's always good to have input from people you trust. Don't we all have those thoughts of do over ? I have wondered if it would have been just as easy to do a bilateral rather than a unilateral. We just make the best decision that we can with the info we have and any given moment..........and pray a lotInnocent

Sheila,

Glad you feel comfortable enough here with us to express your anger Yell we all are feeling the same as you ! This will NEVER fly ! we are too many in number and STRONG !

Blessings my "Middles"

• rumoret
    rumoret Member Posts: 45

Hey......I made it over to this site with a little help from a sister. I am 52 and I have two great grandchildren, 2 great daughters, and a wonderful husband. I am angry over these new guidelines and my husband came home spitting bullets! I have lost dear friends from breast cancer and currently have relatives dealing with it. It is all about saving money...and I am surprised at some of the Breast Cancer Support Groups out there who support this! This is just the beginning to destroying our Medical Care in America!

Now -- I want to post how I am doing on Arimidex. I started off on Tomoxifen for 2 1/2 years and had severe vaginal irritation. Since starting on Arimidex in July 2009 I can say everything has cleared up! I feel somewhat like my normal self even though I know my body is changing due to menopause and the vaginal changes would have taken place over time -- but I know longer feel like a beef steak (LOL) excuse me :)

Love Ya,

Terry 

• elimar

We're Middle-Aged, but it's not like we can't channel our inner-cougars and drool over a hottie now and again.  May I present People magazine's Sexiest Man Alive 2009:

Photobucket

He's not that tall, but I could be forgiving.  And ladies, he is in our age range.

Yay or Nay on Johnny?  If not Johnny, then who?  You only get ONE vote!   There has to be some limit to the drooling. 

(Been so upset over the Task Force pronouncements, just figured we needed an intermission.)

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Yay on Johnny, but only if he'll wear the Captain Jack Sparrow getup for me.

• queenlurker
    queenlurker Member Posts: 34

nay on Johnny-george clooney more my style

Thanks for the change of topic,was feeling a little stressed

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

We're not cougars! We're PUMAs!!!! Woo hooo Yah Johnny, Yah George! Yah men!

•   yes,he was a great pirate....on him eyeliner looked good. He was a pretty sexy character in that one movie, Chocolate was it?  Another guy I really like is John Corbett....I liked him as Chris in the Morning on Northern Exposure and thought Carrie should have stayed with him when he was Aiden in Sex in the City and then he was in my Big Fat Greek Wedding and I just really like the guy.   

• Nebraskagrandma

So I guess when I posted "The Many Faces of Lincoln" as a diversion from this stressful talk I should have aimed a bit older ?? Since you all are now looking at Johnny Depp ? Yeah he's ok, but there are soooooooooooo many others out there. Where do I start ???

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Yay on Johnny but my favorite is this guy especially in the movie Blood diamond.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    I'd post a picture of my DH, but I will respect his privacy!  Wink
  • one-L

Oh girls, you are all so funny.   Some people may think we are crazy for this, but we just have breast cancer, we are not dead.

I am a George Clooney kind of girl. I have liked Johnny since "Edward Scissor Hands"  I think that was the first time that I remember seeing him in a movie.

It seems they are trying to back peddle a little on the new recommendations.  I also heard that in 48 states there are laws to protect us, so the new guidelines probably will never go into effect.  I had no family history and when my tumor was found it was so early, that it would have taken probably another 6 months to a year to be able to feel it.  They do things all the time to save 1 life out of a thousand, so I don't know what they are trying to gain with these guidelines.  Yes it would be nice if there was something else that would detect cancer sooner, but until that new method is found we don't need to change from what we have.

Juannelle

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957
    Meece-- Good one! Smile
  • Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I think"Edward Scissorhands" is the first movie I saw Johnny Depp in as well.  I can't get past "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" with Leonardo. 

• elimar

Since it has been all over the news, my hubby has renewed his interest in B/C.  He made an excellent point this morning...If mammograms result in a lot of uneccessary biopsies, and the BSE isn't reducing the mortality rate, then we need better detection methods AND better procedures following detection. Those two methods DO find the lumps, they just can't tell cancer from non-cancer.  Maybe someday something will.

Until then, we have the biopsy.  If your lump is non-cancerous, the biopsy removes some tissue.  If your lump is cancerous, the biopsy (or follow-up surgery) removes cancerous tissue, in a way that can leave displaced cells behind. I'm not saying ALWAYS, I'm just saying it can, and we have no way of knowing if it did.  That is pretty much why we are radiated.  So there is room for improvement in the biopsy and surgery areas, as well as in detection methods. 

It's our group of women, now, that have to speak out so that there will be improvement for the next generations to come.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

AMEN elimar!

I've often wondered why, with all the money being raised by all the different groups out there, breast cancer detection and treatment hasn't significantly changed in the last decade or two. Sometimes I wonder where all that money really goes. 

• elimar

I had to get my serious post (above) out, but now I'll tell you what I like about Johnny.   He has sexy eyes, a sexy smile, fab-u-lous bone structure, and seems to have made a successful transition from Hollywood man-whore into a loving husband and father.  At this writing, anyway.

• Nebraskagrandma

Ok so I've ALWAYS had aweakness for AntonioSabato Jr. call me superfical...........

GREAT SMILE

I want those ABS !! really it's the ABS..............

Blessings my friends !

• Nebraskagrandma

Wait a minute Ladies ..............

Did this turn into the "Our Escape" thread ??Wink

• one-L

elimar, if they can't come up with anything better, then they better leave us alone and let us continue down the path we are usually give, mammos, self exams, biopsies, etc.  When they come up with an alternative detection plan, then we will listen and go forward.  But in the meantime they are putting millions of women's lives at stake for a few false positives.  I had rather have a false positive than breast cancer any day.

Juannelle

• sheila888

I heard in the news last night about a woman who was scheduled for a lumpectomy canceled the surgery because she was DX by Mammogram under age 50. Either she is afraid Insurance will deny the procedure or she is doing it to send a message to those *#%&.

Sheila

• Nebraskagrandma

I received a call from my Daughter and her friend from San Antonio (via her car phone). They are livid about the Senate meeting on Health care and the new Guidelines. They were calling to say, tell everyone you know to e-mail, and call your Representatives !!

• rumoret
    rumoret Member Posts: 45
    AntonioSabato Jr is my favorite also! MMMMMMMMMM----GOOD! Made my day!