Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320

Nobody on either side of my immediate family had cancer, just a distant relative or so. I was the first one!  Yeah for me!

Had my next to last fill yesterday and my foobs are really hurting today. First time that has ever happened. Maybe I'm filled to capacity?

I too think it's a pomegranate.

Hauntie love the word exacerbate!

Denise

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

DID SOMEONE SAY BROWNIES???!!!!

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

PASS THE POMEGRANATE MARTINIS!!!!!

• Denise2730

I still can't figure out how to post pix! I tried the cut & paste but it didn't work no matter how many times I hit that little button saying yes I really want to paste.

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250

Kay,

I am right behind you. I just had my final yucky taxotere chemo Wed. and I will be starting Radiation in about 3 weeks. I will also have my port in until June 2012 when I finish up with herceptin. I have always felt like the port was an alien implanted device. It creeps me out, but I am glad I have it, since it gets accessed every week.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

Well, the pic does remind me of something I've seen before...hmmm. Speaking of which...

Martha, check ahead of time about the drugs.  No reason you should suffer through what should be a relatively easy procedure.  

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

My 1st thought is not printable because it makes me sick to even have thought it.

2nd Pomegrante (or however it's spelled)

3rd no idea!

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

Hauntie here is the BCO site that explains the HDR. http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation/int_expect/balloon_cath.jsp

It's rather simple but you do need to qualify.  I'm VERY glad I was able to do it.  I have not had the SE like so many others have had with the traditional rads. 

Thanks for the goodies Claire!  Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Kitty

• KittyGirl2011

Picture guess is a baked chocolate cake bubble. 

Eph3 - my first guess was likely similar to yours since we were on the subject most of the week! LOL!  Kitty

• Denise2730

I have a feeling my first thought was similar!! It was too gross and I didn't want to go there....

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

I say a piece of wood.

Also I am the first one in my family both sides to have cancer at all.  yeah me.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

There has been very little cancer in our family either.  My mom died of lung cancer, but she was a heavy smoker.  Her berother had colon cancer, and her only sister also died of lung cancer.  Prertty sad.

I was trying to fix the vacuum this morning as it developed a clog.  We were getting ready to steam clean so of course needed everything thoroughly vacuumed.  My nipple has been so sore, so going braless in the house and using a combo if lidocaine ointment mixed with Aquafor.  So I am wrestling the vacuum and just brushed my arms across my chest somehow.  Instant YIKES!!!  Now that smarted and I barely brushed it across my shirt.  So went to the bathroom to look, and damn if that nipple and all the surrounding skin isn't just a peeling away!  Not much liking this part, plus the underarm incision where they took the nodes is itching now.  All in all not great today.  I am really tired right now but ran like a madwoman all morning baking cakes and then getting ready for the steam cleaner.  I put some more of the lidocaine/Aquaphor combo on and that does help with the pain.  My poor old body seems to be protesting!

Otherwise I am great and hope you are all too.  Have a wonderful Saturday.  Hugs to all you ladies!

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

1st guess: is a mushroom

I know some of us on this site have had Mamosite in the past, as I did and have been thankful that I qualified, however my 5 cm seroma is still here 3.5 years later and my BS thinks now it is fat necrosis and will never go away, "its one of those things we are finding out about now". Anyone else have this issue? She didn't offer to take it out but it is fairly superficial and it bothers me! BTW I was very tired after the 4th day of treatment and it lasted several weeks.

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

Elimar - When I first read, Weekend Mystery Pic, I read it as Weekend Mystery PIE. I'm thinking, "since when did we start doing a weekend mystery PIE - I'm guessing chocolate fudge." Embarassed

Now that I understand that it's the Weekend Mystery PIC, I'm going along with some of the others and guessing that it's a pomagranate.

• janinnj
    janinnj Member Posts: 63

Mystery pic-my first thought was a clove.

I am the first in my family with BC.  My Dad had Prostate Cancer about 11 years ago and now has bladder but seems to be tollerating the treatments well.  He is 83.  My Grand mother had uterine cancer and that is the only family history I know of.  Oh my mother has alot of skin cancer but she grew up in the Arizona sun.

As for Rads fatigue.  I had Rad agter 8 rounds of chemo and I worked full time through both.  The rads were much easier on me than the chemo.  the fatigue didn't realy hit untilthe last week.  I had 33 treatments.  I agree with having your treatment at the end of the day if you are working that way you can just go home and to bed if you need.  I finished 3 weeks ago and I still have just as much fatigue as I had then.

I want to ask how many of you experienced "chemo brain"  I though my problems with concentrating and remembering thing was just the stress of all the treatment etc but it seems to be getting worse and not better now that I'm through.  Did anyone else have this and if so for how long?

• janinnj

Obviousle I can't type anymore either.  I don't think my brain and fingers are compunicating any more.

• stjude10
    stjude10 Member Posts: 230

Okay, I will guess the mystery pic is the bark on a tree.

Oh, and Hauntie, I like the way you think...pie...mmm

• Hauntie
    Janinnj - chemo brain - ahh, yes - I remember it well. Although at the time I couldn't remember s**t. That's actually what chemo brain is like - a severe case of CRS. That was almost 17 years ago. I don't know how long it lasted, but I remember how frustrating it was. It was so bad. I would stand in the elevator of the office building, I worked in, trying to remember which button number I was supposed to push. Towards the end of my treatment, I was at an event that included oncologists and other medical professionals. A woman, newly diagnosed with BC asked a question about chemo brain. The medical professionals denied it's existence. The ladies with BC were all shaking our heads in disbelief.
  • janinnj

Hauntie-  Thanks I just wanted some reassurance that it would get better.

• Hauntie
    Janinnj - It does go away. A few years after completing treatment, I decided to change careers and went back to school for occupational therapy. I graduated with highest honors. The brain cells were all back and working just fine.
  • Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Chemo brain how I remember it well.  The night before Easter I had a mini meltdown with it.   I wanted the hoiday to be as normal as possible for all even though I was doing chemo.  I still wanted to make everyones favorite dishes.  I had spent the day cooking and it was wiping me out.  I still had to make bread and it was getting late.  I found the yeast and I went to check the date.  I looked at the package and for the life of me I couldnt even remember what year it was.  I started crying and my husband comes in finding me cry and shaking my fists at a package of yeast.  I had to explain what was going on and he thought I was finally off my rocker!  But he know because he had been witness to other lapses of the mind and chemo!

• KittyGirl2011

OG56- not sure what you mean about seroma or fat necrosis.  I had the Mammosite HDR in August and I am a month out now.  Only SE I've had is fatigue.  The site where the balloon catheter was is well healed and does not give me any problems.  The doctor and nurse that was caring for me did say that they were using a new style of catheter so maybe that might be something that has changed since your 3.5 years ago.  If you want to PM me about your experience I'd like to hear.  As for me I'm very glad I did it because I'm pretty much feeling back to "normal".  Still some healing of course, but nothing problematic.  Janis - Sorry to hear about your skin peeling and the high sensitivity.  Keep up with your skin lotion.  I have also used aloe lotion and shea butter.  The RO was impressed with how soft my skin still was.  Hope everyone is doing well and getting some rest this weekend.  Kitty

• stjude10

Gals, I gotta admit, I'm a bit worried about chemo brain. I led a pretty wild life years ago, not sure how many brain cells I have left to spare! And Hauntie, not liking the fact that the medical field isn't recognizing it.

• Hauntie
    Lori - That was more than 15 years ago. I think the medical community has finally listened to the complaints of those of us who experience(d) it and realize something is giong on. There is research being done. Google chemo brain. There is a lot of info out there now.
  • Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

My onc told me about chemo brain.  She said it is real, but it isn't actual damage to your brain.  It is from fatigue.  She said it eventually goes away.  Next time I see her, I'm going to ask how long "eventually" is. 

• Waiting - - - it so frustrating!!!  Waiting for some test results, waiting for my appt with the surgeon, which is this Thursday. 

Trying NOT to be totally pissed about everything!!!  We were leaving for Arizona last week - had to put that off while we wait to know more.  Since June, I've been training for the Komen 3day in November in AZ - that's been blown away.  Walked 200+ miles to hear "you've got cancer AGAIN!"  Have a trip to Mexico the end of November & a BC Thrivers Cruise in April - - but now everything has to wait for cancer to control my life AGAIN.

And knowing "most" of what is going to happen to me for the 3rd time, is probably worst than not knowing. 

This is the only place I can say what I think - - no one knows the feelings - - especially with a 3rd time diagnosis.

Cool

• lwarstler
    lwarstler Member Posts: 123
    Sandi...I can't even imagine how maddening that would all be! Cry that you have to deal with all this...makes me feel fortunate.
  • justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

I am so sorry Sandi.  I cannot imagine what this must be like for you.  Wish I had some profound words of wis]dom.  All I can offer is a shoulder, and a warm cyber hug. 

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

It's just not fair Sandi.  ((((((hugs))))))

• stjude10

You're right Sandi, there's no way I could know how you feel. Just know that us gals are here for you. This is the place to vent, we can take it. Positive thoughts and energy heading your way and I offer you hugs and shoulders.