Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

LeeAnn - Too many things going on at the same time - just take a minute and breath.  You will quickly get into a routine and before you know it chemo will be a thing in the past.

Can't wait to meet ChrissyB, Sherry (gracious hostess - I will be staying in her guest room - what an honor) and all the other Texas gals. 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

LeeAnn I'm the mom of a 15 and an 18 year old and I just want to send you a hug and tell you to trust your instincts.  

Pomegranite is appropriate this week--one of the symbols we use for the Jewish New Year.  The tradition tells us to do as many good deeds as there are seeds in a pomegranite- 613 (perhaps an overestimate Smile.) 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Kleenex, I spy a new avatar.  Oh no you di'in't go red!  Sassy!!!!!
  • elimar

The Shell Knob Shindig...

It turned out to be a gathering of six, and I was the last to arrive.  When I got there they were all just sitting awkwardly and staring, being introverted, sullen, withdrawn.  Who am I kidding?  They were all smiles, I got hugs immediately, and delicious food and beverage in the first 60 seconds.  They all commented that I looked just like my picture, but not as pink.  Hee-hee.  It was Marybe, ChrissyB, who have posted here; Badger, Amyjo, who you may know from a few other threads; MissKitty, who is two years out and getting on with her busy life and only looks in occasionally; and moi.  That breaks down into half "Early Stagers" and half "Stage IV" and I only bring this up because I wanted to offer proof that we could co-exist peacefully in the same house without a SPECK of the Inter-stage bickering that rears it's ugly head in the threads from time to time.

ChrissyB is writing in more detail and took 10x the pics I did, so do visit "The Journey Has Begun" to read and see more.  We stayed at the cottage of Marybe's cousin.  Nice lake view.

When we walked down to the lake we saw that someone had spray painted the high waterline mark from this past Spring.  I think you can tell the lake level rose quite a bit.

We enjoyed a local festival w/dog show & car show, but also ventured into the quaint little town of Eureka Springs, AR.  Look how cute.

Had to snap this Humpty Dumpty.

The next day we went to The Keeter Center.  It's a big lodge.  Here are the ladies.  Love 'em all.

It's part of College of The Ozarks, where the culinary students there whip up a delectable brunch and the entire staff are students.  For some reason I had a taste for scrambled eggs.  I can't even begin to tell you how heavenly the desserts were.   I can show you a few of them, tho'.  The ice carving was a swan, but is a little hard to see.

I sampled A LOT.  See the baklava on the bottom right.  I had TWO.  If I had had a Zip-Lock in my purse, some would have left with me, as my taste buds would have won out over my ettiquette on that one.

Every day was good food, fine Wisconsin vino (Thx Badger!), and GREAT company.  Marybe is a lovely hostess.  I'm so pleased to have been invited.

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369
    Claire - We probably won't be seeing you on BCO tonight, as you'll be otherwise occupiedWink However, I was wondering how you made out starting your prep at 1:00 while you were still at work. Then again, maybe I don't want to know. Save me a place in the bag. Did someone say there would be Cheetos?
  • Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Claire make room for me!!!  I will bring so sweet treats as well! 

I won the mystery pic, yahoo!  Maybe I should run to the store and get a lottery ticket, I feel lucky!

• jo1955

Hauntie - I do remember someone said they were bringing Cheetos.  This will be quite a pocket party.

Eli _ Thanks so much for sharing the pics.  I for one, would have found a way to take a few extra pieces of the baklava.   Haven't had good baklava since I left Turkey.

The Texas girls will be getting together in San Antonio on Saturday.  ChrissyB will be joining us.  Can't wait - it is going to be so fun. 

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Elimar, thanks for sharing your pictures of Chrissy's visit.

Just to quickly address older boys and younger girls, I have worked with adolescents in mental health settings for 20+ years and this was a reoccuring theme. In group they would talk about how flattering it was etc. I let them talk most of group about this situation and then at the end I asked them to do a writing assignment on what type of boys they would be dating once out of HS.  Not one of them said they would be dating boys in HS. We would then talk about why not and they all, yes everyone of them broke up with their older boyfriends (some males were in their mid 20's dating 15&16 year olds) It was such a simple fix LOL

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

I know we all feel this way, but I just have to say it - I HATE THIS F*****ING DISEASE!!!!! (Virtual SCREEEEEAAAAAAM). I just got off the phone with my cousin. Another cousin's wife was just diagnosed. She's in her early 50's. Her mother died of BC. She's scheduled for a MX next week. I don't have any other details, except that she's already decided to have chemo. She's an oncology nurse, so she knows the score. I can't believe that another person I love is going through this. THIS SUCKS.

• Paula66

((((((((Hauntie))))))))) 

• jo1955

Hauntie - Oh crap!!!!  I HATE THIS DISEASE TOO.  ((((HAUNTIE))))

• lwarstler
    lwarstler Member Posts: 123

Kleenex, Jo & SAB, thanks so much. She is doing better this evening, the relationship is over and I feel better for having stayed with my gut. I'm sure it will still be a rough week for her but i feel like she will manage it well. Plus my mom got here tonight and she has been spending a lot of time making us laugh. It's been a good night.

Hauntie: (((HUGS))), I hate this disease too....it sucks that it is still so prevalent. 

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Couldn't agree more Hauntie.  Absolutely sux.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Claire I'm jumping in.  Sure hope someone brings the cheetos.

Hauntie (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) cancer sucks

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

claire-are you still running?    will be there tomorrow can we have chocolate to!  

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311

Hi again!

Elimar my Mom was diagnosed with 2 separate primaries 5 years apart and them mets 5 years later. She was Stage 1 with both her primary's.

My brothers have had colon ca.,melanoma and lung ca.

Ladies, I gave been affiliated with an organization known as Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered (FORCE) (www.facingourrisk.org) for those who are high risk and or BRCA + for 11years...way before my diagnosis.

It is important to know your family (medical) history, on BOTH sides of your family. Some of the cancers associated with a BRCA mutation are esophageal, pancreatic, prostate, ovarian, breast, and primary peritoneal ( treated as ovarian.. but this can occur in the absence of ovaries).Thanksgiving is a great time to discuss this topic with family members and to compile as thorough a history as possible especially getting info from elders regarding past generations (if possible)

OK, this was my PSA for the night :)! Thank you for welcoming me into this forum

Marcia

• juliet62

good idea marcia with all the holidays coming up, , now would be great time to fill in any blanks on the family hx at any gatherings,   wouldn't it be nice if there was a designated history gatherer in every family

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311

Juliet and all,

If you go to this website there is a downloadable printable form for the purpose of compiling family history...

https://familyhistory.hhs.gov/fhh-web/home.action

YES, the pomegranate is very timely!To those who celebrate the holiday of Rosh Hashanah.

L'Shana Tova! (Have a Sweet and Healthy New Year!)

Marcia

• juliet62

thanks for the info, marcia, will download the form, my dads parents both died in there's 30's so family hx a bit sparse on that side, but everything will help

• elimar
    cmb, In case I sleep in tomorrow, just remember what Shakespeare had to say about the colonoscopy, "All's well, that end's well."  Something like that.  Good Luck!
  • justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Claire.....I am in that big purse with you.  There are many others.  We are all right here for you hon! 

Today is my last regular radiation treatment.  Good thing, I don't think my poor skin can take much more.  The peeling in my underarm is really painful.  Nipple is the color of a cranberry.  Very angry looking.  The rest of my breast is just one big read rash.  So glad I start boosts tomorrow and will be done next Tuesday.  My skin needs to recover from this for sure.

• jo1955

Janis - Sending very gentle (((HUGS))).  Look up the After Rads thread.  Lots of good information on there for after care.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Soccermom, you're so right about getting that info down.  My mom is 85 with Alzheimers, so can't get any info from her.  She is the only sibling still here of 9.  My Dad passed away, and so did all his brothers and sisters.  I always thought there was no BC in our family.  At a funeral recently, I was told a cousin has BC (her mother was my father's half sister, so not sure how much that counts for my history).  The cousin claims that our grandmother (my father's mother) had BC and died from it.  She was old when she died.  She lived with my parents and no one ever told me or my sisters that my grandmother had cancer.  I think I was told she died of old age.  Now there is no one to confirm it with, but my other cousins and siblings never heard my grandmother had cancer either.  Good advice to get history from relatives.  Not only medical, but whatever you can.  It is great to pass on info like where they were from, what they did, etc.  You should write it down.

Congrats on your last radiation Janis!  My first is next Tuesday.

Claire, how are you doing?  It's nice and cozy in the purse here.

• Paula66

(((((((janis))))))))

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    I agree with the other gals., he is being very sneaky and manipulative. I have a now 18 year old daughter, and she started dating a 17 year old when she was 15. They dated two years, and he became more controlling and obessive, and she finally broke it off with him. I feel he changed her sweet innnocent personality, but teens, sometimes will do what they want and sneak around behind your back, and blow, of the wisdom of experience you share with them, so I am glad your daughter sees early on, that he isn't a healthy choice for her.Smile
  • KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

YEAH Janis!  Giving you healing ((HUGS)).  Claire, it will be soon over and you can join the party!  Hauntie, this disease surely does suck and I too wonder with all the money being pored into research for BC why are we not yet closer to knowing it's cause or a cure????  Kitty

• elimar
    janis, Your big rad zone rectangle will actually begin healing while you are still on your boosts.  While it was only my boost area that did a little peeling, it was not bad because it was a smaller area.  Hang in there, not much longer now.
  • eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

E-did you photograph those dogs while you were visiting TN? (no offense to the Tennesseeians here-just seemed to good to pass up!)

• elimar

I put those beauties up because I was at that dog show in the Ozark Hills   Weimaraners must be extremely hard to embarass.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

Elimar, my favorite picture so far (and you've had lots of great ones.)  By the color I guess they may be Viszlas?