Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Good morning ladies!

I had a rough day yesterday and bad night, the pain from this burn is awful.  I see my RO today.  I will ask for some good pain meds for sure. 

I am so touched by all of the support from this wonderful group.  It would be impossible to address you each individually.  Imagine my surprise to read this thread and catch up....only to find so many cheerleaders for me.  I can't thank all of you enough!  You have been so wonderful, kind and supportive and I love you for it.  Words cannot express my gratitude.  You are the BEST!

I love to bake, so picked an apron for you all to jump in.  I feel the love my friends!  Thank you ALL.

What do you think?  Red is my favorite color.  I think the red one will be plenty roomy for everyone.  Plus, the orange Cheeto stains won't show as much!

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

Love the Red one!  I'm in!  No cheetos for me, anyone got fish sticks?  Kitty

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Chiluvr - Thanks for explaining how you ended up with a BMX with an info line that says 1 cm tumor. Makes total sense - I'd have done the same thing if they had found something else or had gotten really bad margins.

I am now COMPLETELY convinced that you need a different oncologist! Whether this guy is actually totally a nightmare or whether he just comes across that way to YOU, this is ONE relationship that needs to have "chemistry." You need to trust that you're getting all of the information that you need, and you need to feel like the oncologist is helping guide you to what is best for your future. You totally don't feel this way about Dr. Doom. Don't just limit yourself to that one practice, either. Most oncologists are highly intelligent and caring people - you can find a good one.

Re: the aprons - is it just ME, or do the ribbon ties at the waist seem like a bad idea? They're going to dangle into my mixtures, interfere with my cutting board, catch fire by my stove... HOWEVER, they're super-cute, so if the idea is to wear the apron to look adorable while serving things prepared by someone else, I agree that the red one is fabulous. 

• justmejanis

Kleenex....LOL on the ribbons!  You are so right.  I actually do wear aprons to cook and bake as I always seem to make a mess.  Personally I have to plain ones, basic.  One solid red, the other red with white pin stripes.  No bows in the front, they simply tie in the back!  Definitely practical.  Just thought the red one here will be cute for everyone to jump into! 

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Janis, I'm bringing extra cheetos and some diet coke. If I can't have it out here, I might as well have it in the apron!! Thinking good thoughts for you!!

• Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320

How come I never look that cute in an apron?

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Ok tomorrow is my 3 month PFC check up and Im abit nervous.  Not like anything has been wrong, just kinda outa sorts is all.  I am lucky though I havent had to see any doctors since Aug., so I cant complain!

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

will bring the chocolate paula, make sure the bag is roomy

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Paula66,  That first check up is terribly nerve wracking!  It's when your PTSD kicks in.
  • Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Paula Hope all goes well with your check up

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Boss' birthday is this weekend.  We surprised him today because he's not in tomorrow.  Got a chocolate/carmel pie from Safeway!  YUMMY!!! 

• Sherryc

Eph I can't suprise my boss with a cake as his wife is a professional cake baker.  And hers are yumo!!! cookies too

• I'm sorry to be so out of it but what does PFC stand for? Whatever it is, I hope it goes well for you Paula!
  • tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998

Paula.. hugs will be in your pocket! :)

• janinnj
    janinnj Member Posts: 63

Claire-You asked the question about Vitamins during chemo.  I can't exactly remember how they put it but it has something to do with not wanting to build up the cells so much that the Rads can't do their thing.

Had a follow up with my MO today.  My Red and White count are slowly comeing back up.not clear to narmal yet but much better.  I don't have to go back for 3 mos now!!!

• elimar

I forgot to write on that...I was reading that taking antioxidents are good to take during rads because they decrease the damage to cells/tissues.  Not surprisingly, the counter arguement is that it has a protective effect for the cancer cells as well.  Certainly don't want that! 

During my rads I drank the 4 oz. of red wine daily, for about 3 of the 6 weeks, that one study recommended.  Wine contains antioxidents, so I guess I was taking them in that form.  Well, my skin did well with just the tiniest bit of peeling in my boost area.  Probably more the result of using lotions than the wine, but I don't know.  Just hope I don't have any drunken cancer cells that survived.

There is a similar cntroversy about the hormonals...to take them concurently while doing rads, or to wait til rads are done.  Some RO's want the cancer (if any is left behind) growing and dividing in it's active phase as it is more susceptible to the rads then.  So, they don't want you to put any rogue cells on a Tamox. or AI estrogen starvation diet, which makes them dormant and mare rads resistant.  That was the thinking anyway.  Other RO's will do rads and hormonals together.  To me, it seems like they are reading different studies.  They just don't seem to be on the same page about these things!?!?!!?!?!?!  

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Elimar, don't those differing recommendations drive you nuts!  That is why my onc told me not to take anti-oxident vitamins during chemo.   didn't realize rads also went after fast growing cells.

• elimar

I think it can do more damage to them when they are in the process of dividing.

• Sherryc

Elimar that is what my RO said as well.  No antioxidents during rads.  They wanted the cells dividing an active.

Well guys Jo is coming to visit me this weekend and on Saturday some of us Texas gals are getting together with Chrissy in San Antonio. Will have to post pictures later.

• justmejanis

Greetings everyone.  I survived the needle biopsy, but without you all in my pocket I probably would have gotten up off the gurney and left.  It was AWFUL.  The room they did the procedure in was more like a broom closet...very cramped and just did not seem clean to me.  The room was so small they had my gurney in there at an angle.  The tech seemed to be clueless what the orders were for, as she pointed out I had two nodules in the right lobe.  I asked if they were going to biopsy both and she said she had no idea, as she had not seen my doctors orders.  Also did not have a copy of my prior US.  Then this doctor came in, dressed in street clothes, and talked a lot about nothing.  He seemed nervous, did not know the tech, and had a hard time moving about this small space.  He also kept commenting on the low light in the room but never changed it.  He numbed it, which wasn't too bad, then they called the pathologist in to take the samples.  Well, he tried to aspirate the nodule as he watched the screen....and poked so hard it about made me jump off the table from the pain.  He kept saying it was hard and the needle just bounced off of it.  The tech kept telling him how "the others" do it.  OMG I about wanted to die!  He told me there were three nodules two in the right lobe, one left.  He finally "hit" the first one but just drew blood.  The pathologist told him he needed more cells.  Nooooooooooo.  This seemed to take forever until he finally got enough cells to satisfy the pathologist.  Then he made several attempts at getting a sample from the second node, but had no luck, saying it was "too deep".  Said it would cause too much pain, then said that basically these things are like "brothers and sisters" so what they find in the one is probably the same in all.  At this point I no longer cared.  I was in agony from my breast and armpit burns, and beyond stressed over this inept man.  I just wanted OUT.  As soon as I sat up, my hubby, who was crammed in the corner by the foot of the gurney, pointed out that there was a small spider on the sheet of my gurney.  The tech said there was a large on in there yesterday and they "freaked her out".  Seriously, this was in the hospital here.

I had to come home and ice my throat and it hurts to swallow.  Not wine though, having a LARGE glass now. 

Thanks everyone, I sure needed the support more than ever today.  What a day it was.........

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

Janis, No, no, no! You have been through quite enough without dealing with bozos. I hope you are writing a letter to someone. That story is outrageous, and you (and others after you) should be safe from experiences like that.

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369
    Janis - Sorry your biopsy was so awful. I hope the wine helps blur the memory. I agree with SAB. Someone needs to get a letter about the conditions under which the procedure was done and the clowns who were doing it.
  • elimar

I  love those stories where truth is stranger than fiction...

janis, your story "Biopsy in a Broom Closet" is an instant classic!   For a minute there, I thought there might be a plot twist where the doctor "in street clothes" turned out to really be a janitor, but then I realized that no janitor would dare be so unprofessional as to show up to work without his uniform.  Janitoring is a highly regulated field, with strict standards and practices as well as a stringent dress code.  That must not be the case with doctors.  

I bet you will have to pay extra for the consult with the spider too.  Yell

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

B***ch that I am, I complained after my botched biopsy. When I had my wire loc I specifically requested that she not be assigned.  The dept. head came in to do it, and brought her with him so she could see the scar she left, and how out of place the marker was. He had to use an image, a ruler and his many years of experience to place the wire. When I mentioned it to my nurse navigator she said "...we keep telling them about her." I hope that if enough of us keep saying something it will finally have an impact.  

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    janis, that is the worst story i've heard to date.  i so hope that you will report it to the proper administrators.  a spider on your gurney sheet???  the entire incident is completely unacceptable in any hospital in this day and age.  i'm so upset i could cry for you.  i hope you feel better now that it's behind you.  you deserve better days ahead.
  • Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320

You just can't make this stuff up. Sorry Janis that it was so unpleasant.

• Janis...that is absolutely awful! It makes you wonder what the heck was going on. I think I would be complaining to somebody. Hopefully, the results of the biopsy will be better than the experience.
  • stjude10
    stjude10 Member Posts: 230

Oh Janis, I don't know how you held it together that long. I'm sure you wanted to tell them all (including the spider) to suck it, and get up and leave. What courage you had to withstand such poor standards. I agree, a tall glass of wine, and a letter to whoever's in charge, are just what  you need!

• stage1
    stage1 Member Posts: 285
    Janis, So sorry for your horrible experience.  I had a similar experience with the needle localization before lumpectomy.  RO and tech did not act professional, took their time talking about their Hawaiian vacations while I was waiting for the procedure.  I just wanted it over and they seemed not to care about me in the bare naked position I was in squished in the machine.  I know the nightmare you went thru!  It makes me so mad that this goes on.  YellDid they not give you any meds before starting? 
  • Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Oh Janis Im so sorry to see that it went the way it did.  My goodness how awful it is to see that this day and age that crap like that still goes on.  You deserve a whole bottle of wine for that!