Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Janis - It is happy dance time!! Great news and no waiting.

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

Yay Janis!!!! That is wonderful news and quickly too!!! Hopefully the PT will help and the pain will be gone soon...

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

YEAH Janis!!!  Hope the PT works to relieve the pain.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572
    WTG Janis!!!!!  Doing the mental cartwheels for ya sista!!!
  • YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    YAY, janis!!!  excellent news!  so happy for you ...
  • marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

KatMac, I did tamox for 3.5 yrs, then Aromasin for the remaining 1.5 after I was 100% post menapausal. Yes to the bone/joint pain and the hot flashes. Note though that for a good deal of us, hot flashes result in all over sweat, not just a feeling, so don't worry if it changes up on you, especially at night time. I finished the Aromasin in June and very happy to say that joint pain and hot flashes wayyyyy down. As for drinking, I enjoy my Fri/Sat/Sun drinking and didn't stop at any time since diagnosis. Not recommending for anyone else, just saying. My onc and surgeon and case worker ('cause I was in two clinical trials) all knew about it and no one told me not to, just to keep it under control!

Janis - wooo hoooo indeed! It was those cheetos, I just know it :)  Hope the pt helps hon

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

janis, You might want to ask the PT about "spinal decompression."  I've heard that it can eliminate the need for surgery in some people.  If you get it while in PT, as compared to some chiropractors, there is a good chance insurance will cover.  It is really just a traction therapy but as it decompresses the disk, it gives it a chance to heal some on its own.

p.s. Forgot the woot-woot!

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Janis- Hooray!!!!!!!!

Eli- I love it. You go girl!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415

Eli - Way to go for taking charge of your own treatment.....

Janis - Happy dance for you.... Sorry you have to deal with the herniation thou. 

Hope everyone had a good week...

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

OK 1st of all--Once again, something I never thought I'd say!  Yeah Janis-it's a herniation-yipee!

2---this is the 600th page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm not a picture poster but we need a big party!!!! I'm cooking pork chops & couscous-come on over! 

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

Janis.. wtg!!!i hope the disc can be taken care of w/out surgery!

Elimar: did you notice, there are THREE deers in the header?? why can you always find things in 3's??? im not going to ask ro use the #"little deers" although (haha!!!) it would be?? appropriate.. i quire enjoy the 3 little monkeys i find who dont want to see, hear, or talk about their mother  ilnesses.. hahaha.3jays

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Thank you one and all!  Eli, I will talk to my PT about that.  He is currently trying to loosen up the joints in my neck which is a huge challenge.  I have very little mobility in my neck without serious pain.  He says the joints are so tight he is surprised I have any mobility at all.  Now he will have to do his thing with this back.  My PCP said he is giving it just 6 weeks for improvement.  If PT casues more pain I am to stop, then off to the surgeon.  He said the herniated disk is big enough to be operated on now.  Will definitely try the PT of course.

Again, thank you all for cheering me on, for caring.  Big hugs ladies! 

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Oh, Janis, Hooray! Hooray! Hoo-rah!!!!

I had not jumped into your pocket, but I was with you just the same and I am sooo happy for your marvelous results. (tho not happy that you still have pain & will need PT).

E ~ What can I say!?! WTG GIRL!!!!!  Cool

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

very weird to congratulate someone on a herniated disk but way to go janis! glad you didn't have to wait until next week for the results.  so instead of a ppp can we have a pt will do it party instead. i'll bring the trifle

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Janis, I'm so happy that you got your MRI results quickly and that it's "just" a badly herniated disc, although I know from first-hand experience how painful that can be. I was in your shoes, except mine was C5-C6. I tried PT, but it was doing so little good that the PT called the surgeon and said, "This lady needs to see you...soon." I had a neurosurgeon do mine -- and consider one of those, instead of an orthopedic, IMHO -- and he removed the herniated disc and replaced it with cadaver bone. (I could have chosen to have cadaver bone or bone just from own hip. I made the right choice.) The surgery went smoothly, and I woke up to NO PAIN. The relief was instantaneous.

Wearing the cervical collar for 6 weeks was awkward, but I am SO GLAD I had the surgery. That was 12 years ago, and I've never had another moment's pain. Feel free to PM me if you want more details about my own experience. 

Good luck. Whatever you choose, rejoice that it's not cancer! 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Janis woohoo on no cancer but yuk on the herniated disk.  I have one at C5 & C6 but they do not want to do surgery until they absolutly have too.  Broke my neck on C5, C6, and C7 so too much other stuff going on in there.  But I do know what having the spinal pain is like and it is no fun.  I am like wave whisper once my neck surgery was done it was instant relief from the nerve pain.  Had pain from surgery because of the break but the nerve pain was gone. My brother just had a herniated disk fixed in is upper back and he said it was instant relief as well.  He said he wished he had done it sooner instead of living with the pain as long as he did.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Janis - Soooooooo very happy for you that there was no cancer found! I do hope that you can get your back pain under control with the PT.

• elimar

janis,  In my usual confusion, for some reason I thought it was your lower back.  I think the spinal decompression is more for that.  I am not sure if it helps, or is even done on the cervical spine.  Well, it never hurts to ask, but they may not even do it for neck area.  Glad some have told their tales of successful surgery, in case it goes that way for you.

Franken-Wave!   Surprised  

• elimar
    3jays,  Those deer are FEMALE, no antlers.  Like your "no evil" monkeys better anyway. 
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I had TWO orthopaedic surgeons refuse to treat my herniated disks as they ``couln`t guarantee that I would be pain free`so they woudln`t do it!!!! Hey, let ME take those odds...!!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

I have been having neck pain between my cervical and thoracic area for about 4-6 weeks.  It has progressively gotten worse.  Did a steroid pac and no help so finally got things lined up for my MRI of my neck it will be Monday afternoon.  My gut tells me it is something soft tissue or disk but my mind can't keep from going to the dark side and wondering if this horrible pain is cancer.  I guess that is something that we all do so trying not to think about it but that is hard when I am in so much pain. I'll try to keep busy over the weekend and take my pain meds.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

I'll be in your pocket Sherry.

• dee53
    dee53 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone i found out in october i had breast cancer by mistake.I was haveing probblems with my stomach and went to our local er they done a ct scan and it come up far enough that it showed a mass in my right breast well i had surgrey to remove the mass and it come back cancer then aweek later the doctor done surgrey again and took the lymph noeds out of my arm pit and they come back clean.So now they want me to take kemo and radation treatments just to be on the safe side but i just cant make up my mind to do it.i guess am scared and i dont know what to do can anyone give me information or help me deside what to do i have two daughters one is getting married in july this year and god knows i want and will be at her wedding and i have wonderful grandchildern that loves to come stay with me and i dont want to scare them the way i may look.anyway am stuck in a hard place right now can someone please help me.thank you
  • elimar
    dee53, welcome!   How big was your tumor?  Do you know the Stage and Grade?  Do you have a copy of the pathology report from your surgery?  It should give you the information whether you were ER+/PR+ and/or HER2+ or not.  How many lymph nodes did they take?  All?  I am asking all these questions because that is what you need to consider when you decide on all of your follow-up treatment.  Sounds like you were very lucky that the CT scan found that lump!
  • madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216
    Yay Janis!!! 
  • SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

Janis, fantastic news!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Aw Sherry, I feel your angst.....

• noodle6
    noodle6 Member Posts: 32

Thanks for the reminder Eli, I will search for a good MP today. I hope it will not be too easy, but you ladies are difficult to fool.

Mules aren't stubborn as much as just smart, they want to know why you want them to do something & it had better be a good enough reason for them to agree that it should be done. (Kind of reminds me of myself listening to docs tell me what I should do <wink wink>.)

YEAH Janis !!!!!!

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

{{Janis}}

Dee welcome. We can help if we know a bit more.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Welcome Dee.  The gals around here are really helpful.  If you can post what your path report says the gals around here can really help out alot. 

Sherry I hope they can help you find some relief!