Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Welcome DM 13.  You landed in a great place and you will get tons of support here.  Not to mention we do like to laugh here...a lot.  Plus of course all the pocket parties.  I have another one for me tomorrow for my spinal MRI.  Come on over, 12:30 Mountain Time.  Lots of good snacks, drinks, and of course, Cheetos!

Barbe I totally agree, I never want to grow up.  Peter Pan Syndrome?  Nah, I just like to laugh a lot!  Acting goofy is great for the spirit. 

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783

Hi! DM13! How can feel old at 42? I am running 53 feeling quite young. If you feel like that then how should we feel at 53. You know we woman has hectic lifetime from 20-40yrs. in bringing up our children and watching them to settle their life & career. We should feel young for keeping our body & mind  healthy in spirit from 50  till end of life as this time is the best time for woman. So life is too short , you should boost it with positive thinking.

This 2012 is really going to be a brightess year for all of us. So enjoy life like a young girl guys!

I wish you all once again  A VERY HAPPY WONDERFUL AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR ! Let us think and create constructive things by looking forward to a blissful life. Warm hugs to you all!

• justmejanis

rajkumari.........I like the postivie cheerleading.  It helps so much.  I was diagnosed in July and have yet to shed a tear over this cancer.  Maybe I am just holding it in, but really, I feel good.  I have had a few scares and that definitely can rattle my cage for a few days.  I just don't allow the worry to consume me.  I read somewhere that 90% of the things we worry about never happen.  That is a lot of unnecessary worry!

Happy New Year to you as well.  To each and everyone, many blessings and lots of good news for 2012.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Hi DM13.  The gals around here are great.  If you have any issues just post and Im sure someone will be able to help.  They are a great group around here!

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

I have read so much on this board and it looks like everyone is a little different circum...I am 59 but I had my sons young and breastfed them.  I didnt smoke hardly drank, tried so hard to live healthy but I dot bc anyway and its invasive so I just gotta do the best I can and tell myself that I can do it...but someitmes I dont believe myself..one day I feel optimistic and the next day I feel depressed. I have become very moody over this.

• Maya2
    Maya2 Member Posts: 244

I'm 59 and feel quite young. I exercise, eat well (maybe fries once a month). I feel strong, flexible and have good balance. There's nothing I did at 20 that I can't do now--and I've added skiing and long-distance walking since 40 and 50.

While I don't really make an effort to think positively (and sometimes I can be negative), I mostly just try to cope with whatever comes up--really, what else can you do? We can't get a loner while our body's being fixed.

Layla, I too led a healthy life, followed the entire doctor's litany, had no family history of BC, but I got it anyway. I believe mine was caused by a neighour's lawn chemicals. I was diagnosed with BC exactly 7 years after the chemical exposure. We can't control everything. What you're feeling is normal, up one day, down the next. It will get better. You do eventually get through it all.

• KatMac626
    KatMac626 Member Posts: 4

Hi ladies.  I have been enjoying your posts and feel a little comforted knowing that some of these feelings I still have are normal -- hopefully one day they wont take up so many of my thoughts.  It will be 3 years this march since my dx (@47), only 9 months after my sister lost her battle to this horrible disease.  She had IBC and fought a tough battle, so my dx rattled me to the core.  Fortunately, I guess, mine was stage 1 IDC.  This year I had a small growth on my left arm (same side as my bc), turned out to be melanoma.  Wow, strike two. 

I have to say, I do feel blessed that both were found early and small, treatable with surgery and radiation...but geez, how do we deal with this 'waiting for the shoe to drop' feeling??  I find that most of the people in my life either ignore what's happened to me or feel that it was found early and small so I'm cured, let's move on.... I would love to! I'm trying! I don't let it consume me, but I feel like there are so many things I want to do -- soon.  I might be driving my poor dh a little nutty.  Do any of you feel an urgency to travel, remodel, see all 7 wonders of the world; go to Venice, Italy, the Highlands of Scotland, buy and RV and visit all the National Parks in the US???  Is it me???  Any fans of the movie Moonstruck out there??  Are you familiar with the dad who says he doesn't sleep because it's too much like death; here I sit at 2:15 am...not sleeping...to many things to plan.

is it me??

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378

honey - it's the bc.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

No Kat, it isn't just you, lol. I also feel like I want to cram as much life as possible into the time I have left. Cancer puts a whole new spin on the concept of the bucket list.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

I have always lived with an "enjoy the moment" attitude. It certainly has come into play in the last few months of my life. Every day I try to keep my head up and not let cancer take up space in my head. Some days are easier than others, for sure.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

It is the BC. I used to be a real saver. I would put the max I could in my 401k, one of the first things I did when I found out I had BC was to cancel any deduction at all. I wasn't worried about saving for retirement, I wanted to use it and enjoy it now. I was contemplating taking what I had saved out. This wasn't really my personality, and I am more back to myself, but I feel like I want to get he most of everything. I want to do things in the house, buy all kinds of cooking gadgets, and I want to do them immediately. I am sure the melanoma and the death of your sister makes you feel these things even more than you would with just the BC. Hang out with us. We know how you feel, and you can vent and get lots of info and support here.

Speaking of strange things BC has done to you, has anyone become less religious since BC? I was a very faithful church goer before BC, had been going to daily mass for several years. I dropped down to just Sundays. After sx, I didn't go at all for about 7 weeks. Now I am back to just Sundays again, but small things like painful joints or something will have me skip even that. I would have thought this would make me more religious, but it has had the opposite effect. Any ideas or anything about it?

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Kay, you have met your God personally and looked Him in the eye with your cancer diagnosis. You don't need organized religion to prove your faith. You are living it every day!!!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903

Kay--I have become more spritual, more aware of God's presence in my life since bc, but my church attendance is down, partly because of aches, pains, restrictions from driving after surgeries, etc and now because I work a weekend job.  Like Barbe said, religious service attendance and faith are 2 different things.  I know many people very strong in their faith who rarely attend church, and some who attend church religiously (pun intended) but do not act as if they have much faith.  Do you talk to God (pray) as much as before bc?  more?  less?  Do you see God's hand in the things around you?  That would be a better measure of belief or faith than  how regularly you attend church, at least in my book.  

Playing catch up here: 

RE: living with the "waiting for the other shoe to drop" or already diagnosed Stage 4, I almost think it would be easier for me to be Stage 4.  I waited months to find out if the lump I found was bc, and that waiting totally destroyed my nerves and changed my whole life.  It was a totally lost time for me.  I've learned to live better with the not knowing, although it creates a lot of anxiety right before my Onc appointments every 4 months and I get terrified every time I get an ache or pain.  But if I'm ever changed to Stage 4 it will be a bit of a relief--the worst has happened and I don't have to worry about it happening any more.  That's how I felt when I finally got a diagnosis on the lump in the first place.  On the other hand, after 3 years of not being able to plan any further ahead than my next Onc appointment, I now am making plans that cover the next few years, AND I feel like I will actually be able to carry them out.  There are even times when I don't think about bc for minutes or hours at a time.  Living with this DOES get better over time. 

Janis--in the pocket for your MRI today!  Only someone with cancer would hope for a disc problem when there is back pain, but there we are. 

The on thing bc has taken away from me (besides my breasts) that I would like to have back is the ability to sleep well regularly.  

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

Kay....I have gone to daily Mass for the last 11 years. I have had times when I have been tempted to not go. However, I have talked about this with a wise priest who told me that whenever you're trying to live your faith more fully you will be tempted to do otherwise. He asked me if I ever regretted going to Mass when I have gone.

I know it does me good, even if I don't recognize it at the time. I can look back and see the changes in me and my attitude and I know that I am a better person because of my daily receiving of our Lord in the Eucharist.

I have missed daily Mass more often this past 8 months than I have in the past because of treatments, especially this past month when I've been recovering from surgery and couldn't drive. I have also discovered that it is definitely harder to pray when you're not feeling well but I have struggled through at least part of my normal prayertime everyday.

Knowing and believing that God has a plan for our lives is what has kept me calm these last 8 months. I have had moments of tears and fear, but they have always been overcome by the thought that He only wants our good and good can come from even the difficult things that happen in our lives.

I would be happy to continue discussing this by PM if you would like. {{{hugs}}}!!!

• justmejanis

Native Maine.....wouldn't want you to get too lonely in that pocket.  It is tomorrow!  12:30 Mountain Time.  Party following next Tuesday at 10:00 AM to hear the results.  All good news of course.  LOL on wishing for a disc problem huh?  I loke your philosophy about living with this.  While my doctor says he is worried about this current back pain, i really am not.  However, whatever they find, I will just deal with it like I did the original cancer.  It will not destroy my spirit, ever!

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Thank you for the responses on religion. I will drop it after this. I get the part about organized religion and faith being two different things. That is not something that sits too well with Catholics. I agree with you Barb, I do always feel good after going to mass. It is not just a thing with aches and pains or any kind of problem with the church institution. It is me and my spirituality. I feel like that song in AChorus Line, I dug right down to the bottom of my heart to feel what I have inside, and I felt nothing. I am really pouring my heart out to you ladies, I hope you don't mind, but I got it off my chest now and I will have to do some real soul searching.

• Maya2

I had already given up on religion prior to my diagnosis. And the diagnosis didn't send me back. I have no interest in religion. I don't care "who" is "out there."

But, I did add more travel. I was already a world traveller and I've only added to that. I moved from the US to France in 1999. Living in Europe makes it very easy to travel Europe and Africa, but I've also been to Australia, South & Central America. Currently, I've returned to the US and am trying out my homeland, but I'm disappointed and will likely return to Europe. The lack of healthcare in the States (I have none currently) and the lack of public transit is something I just can't understand. So it's likely (unless things change) I'll be returning in a few months. I'm also a French citizen.

I used to work as a BC navigator in a French hospital where I worked with all the English speaking patients. We encouraged our patients to try things they've always wanted to do. Sometimes it takes something scary like BC to get us doing the things we always put off. There's a saying: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. BC is good training for functioning outside our comfort zone.

Good luck explorers!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

kay1963, I am sure that B/C is a part of that but, even without B/C, middle-age itself is a big time for re-evaluation.  I don't really like to call it "mid-life crisis" but that is the familiar label.  I went into it, am in it even still, and I'm not yet entirely sure WHO is going to come out on the other side.  Like B/C, you are not alone in that either my friend.

Layla2525 and Maya 2, welcome to the thread!  We are having a special for 59-year olds today.  Hang out for a year, get 2 "ish" years for free.  We will try and break you of all your clean living habits...look where it got you.  (Just kidding.)  Did someone say MOODY?  We don't know a thing about that here, do we Middies?  Ha!  Let's just say, if those mood ring were still popular, you'd probably see every color of the rainbow in a 48-hour period.

KatMac626, So sorry to hear that B/C took your sister.  It probably upped the terror a notch when you got your own Dx.  But B/C truly is more than just one disease.  It can be so many different things.  You have a good chance to see those sights you mention.  

Momine, greetings to you also. 

------------------------------------------

Faiths, beliefs and other...   Belonging to a religion seems to bring people together in a community, but divide them up on a larger scale.  Most religions have a version of The Golden Rule (and that's hard enough for most people to sustain for any length of time.)  On this thread, if someone wants to pray for me, keep me in their thoughts, or send out a positive vibe, it's all good, I'll gladly take it. 

God is really open to interpretation, and there are so many interesting ones.  On New Year's Day, I was thinking if God was so omni-clever, why are there over 300,000+ kinds of beetles?  That is a little retarded, or fixated, or something.  Only about 17 of those beetles even look cute, the rest of them, yukko!   Evolution also needs to step up and answer that one too.

• KatMac626
    KatMac626 Member Posts: 4

Thanks for all the wonderful responses.  I'm sorry there are so many of us out there having to deal with this awful disease.  I definitely found myself re-evaluating things after the melanoma.  I was an accountant at a local University, commuting 3 hours a day; spending 8.5 hours alone in an office crunching numbers -- dealing with PhD's....computer scientists of all things...sheeeshhh.  I couldn't bear the thought of getting hit by a bus and having spent the last of my life doing this.  I spent almost all my waking hours someplace that didn't make me happy...so I quit. :)  My DH and I have a home business so that's what I've been focusing on, and playing with my puppies....  and remodeling.  And shopping for that RV.  My new mantra is 'Life begins at the end of your comfort zone'.... thanks for that Maya!

My religious two cents: I was not raised in an organized religion, but my mom was very spiritual...as am I.  I do not believe in a Omnipotent God - to believe that would be to believe He thinks I am deserving of this - I believe in a loving God or higher power that grieves for us as we do for each other.  I believe that my sister and my mom are here with me...pushing me to go to the doctor to have that stupid little bump checked out... It comforts me.  More so than I would find going to church.  Although I do love going into churches, it's like all of the energy from all the people is almost palpable.  I can see why people like to go. 

Thanks for letting me rant and be a part of your world.   

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532

katmac, i feel exactly the same way you do ... i want to travel, rennovate my house, take chances, take care of myself without worrying about taking care of others.  i love that mantra ... 'life begins at the end of your comfort zone.'  i'm going to live by that mantra for the rest of my life!

maya, oh, to be a world traveler!  i've never been out of the US except to the virgin islands and the bahamas.  i don't even have a passport!  one of my goals this month is to apply for one.  i don't have any hair so i'm worried about my passport picture.  how dumb is THAT??   

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Ya-ya, with that name, you have to come visit Greece ;)

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

I've been off this thread for a while - computer problems and really busy. I'm about 20 pages behind. I'll never catch up. Now that things have settled down a bit, maybe I can check in more frequently. I hope everyone is doing well and had a great holiday.

• Paula66

Eli I am all healed up from my tat and I remember you asking me to repost when it was all healed so here it is!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Paula66,  That would look pretty awesome in a flip-flop!

Good to hear from you Hauntie. and as the lettuce said to the tomato...ketchup!

Wonder if Kittygirl survived "retail Xmas?"  Hollah back, Kittygirl.

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Katmac, you're not alone in wanting to waste no time and do a million things. I think BC does shake us up and make us realize how short life is, and how it can change in an heartbeat. (You sure saw that first-hand with your sister.)  I think it gives us a push to do things we might have put off. It gives focus to our lives, something to concentrate on other than our illness, our treatment and the side effects.

Yes, I want to travel. And my husband and I this fall, just before my DX, took one of the trips you mentioned -- to the HIghlands of Scotland. What a glorious trip!! Now we're thinking about a trip to Barcelona or somewhere else in Spain for next fall, after my treatments.

This BC also made me want to set things right with people I might have hurt in the past, sort of like a recovering addict's 12 steps to recovery. I wrote a long letter of apology to a dear friend whom I had become estranged from. She called me on Christmas Eve, and we've patched things up. Another friend of almost 40 years, I had cut off, merely because she failed to send me the annual birthday card and letter we had sent each other for 39 years. I wrote her, too, and now we're e-mailing each other every week.  I'm finding other old friends through Facebook and telling them that I want them back in my life now.

And, yes, I'm getting my bathrooms renovated, too. (I spend more time in my bathroom than my kitchen these days!) 

YaYa, yes, get that passport. 

None of us knows what the future will bring. But if you knew you had only 1 or 2 years to live, how would you choose to live it?  

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

Hello all, for the first month after diagnosis and biopsy and lump/snb all I have wanted to do is sleep. Now all of a suddden I want to do everything! I just started back to work yesterday and instead of feeling overwhelmed I feel energized. I do have a painful armpit, hoping that is "normal". My post op appt with BS and MO has been pushed back to the 23rd from the 9th and I got bummed about that for a short time yesterday because I just want to get on with this.

I had been planning to go to Italy to visit my nephew and family in Jan and my BS told me to not buy any tickets, so now I have to wait, which I hate!!!! I had already started to feel this restlessness before BC, in Nov I took a trip to CO to see my DD and had a blast. We took a hot air balloon ride (see my profile pic). I had my annual mammo in Oct and then I planned my trip, then I got the call back for 2nd mammo and I said no, I'm going on a trip I'll come in afterward. I am so glad I did that, great memories. Before this roller coaster ride. It just seems to me that they pushed me into surgery 3 days before Christmas and now I have to wait to find out treatment plan.

• Paula66

Wow everyones planning vacations.  I guess I'm the weird one and am just not into vacas so I am planning a new tattoo for my back.  I want the whole thing done so it'll take awhile.  It will also be for my anniversary. First I was gonna do a fire fairy but found a pic that I fell in love with so Im having that done  first.  My inner freak has been in hiding so long that its time to let her out and live!

Janis am jumping in the pockets for ya!

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

Jumping in your pocket today Janis!!

• Maya2
    YaYa, get a wig you like--you'll have that passport 10 years--and get your pic taken. Yes, yes, get a passport, see the world. It's waiting for you to discover all the incredible vistas, mysteries and oh so interesting people. Go, go!
  • Maya2

Elimar, thanks for the special. I'm still smiling. I'll take those 2 years and raise you one.

Oh my, I remember mood rings too. Aaacccchhhh!