Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Got my first fill today. It really looks like a boob now Laughing. It didn't hurt, just felt really weird.

I got my appointment to go to Beth Israel today. I will be going Friday at 4. I am sure the traffic in Boston at that time of day will be interesting. I am not familiar with Boston at all either. I feel bad it is on my son's 13th birthday and he wanted to go out to dinner. I want to make sure I am around for a lot more of his birthdays and he is a good kid so he should be fine with it. BC sure gets in the way of lifes pleasures.

I still get pains on the side they radiated 8 yrs ago. I was told it was neuropathy. It comes and goes. Sometimes it's just the skin on my side that hurts.

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331

I am over 2 1/2 years out from rads and I still get the rib pain, I am on tamox, I am told I am one of the lucky 5% who will have chronic pain from rads, I am also blessed with a very red boob ,most of the time, I like to think I have a radiating personality but Maybe it is just the cellulitis!!

• midnight1327
    midnight1327 Member Posts: 1,331

Thanks for that, I am booked for my mamogram and they said, this will tell them whether the rads  and treatment are working or i am back to the drawing board again. it is the six month mamo after rads. BS told me that they got it all in surgery, but the rads will kill any cell that is playing up and trying to start new problems and then the tamox will act as another deterrent. hoping i get a good bill of health on the 18th of this month, i have to shift house again, as this house has to be sold, and i need to be up and running to cope with it all.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Congrats on the little steps, Dianarose.

I think rads affects tissues long after you don't feel the immediate discomfort.  I have had 2 recon surgeries and my irradiated side is still tightening enough to make a noticeable size difference...again!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Diana congrats on your fill.  After that first one they do start looking like a real boob again.

midnight good luck on your mammo, keep us posted.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Dianarose- I feel your pain, my BS offered May 18, my DS's 16th birthday as my surgery date. He's older than yours--but I didn't want him to remember his 16th birthday as the day his mom got new boobs!!! Just plan something super special for him on Saturday--he'll remember that he got to spend special time with his mom. 

I get the rib pain too and I'm one year out from rads. Sometimes it kicks me for a loop. All my docs all say my radiated skin has healed super well. I bought a big jar of Aquafor last year, and I'm still using it. Between the lubing and the massage, maybe that's what helps. And I stretch all the time. Rads the gift that keeps on giving.

My dad had prostate cancer 2 years before my DX, and he opted for the internal radiation pellets. He has been progressively getting weaker, dizzy all the time, no strength, constant low RBC.FINALLY, after test after test, a new doc (hematologist/onc--not his original) said that he is suffering a SE of having the internal rads near his hip bone--that messed up  his marrow production. And has began to shut down his kidneys. They say its fixable, iron injections, and some kidney medication will fix him up. First of all, they never told him how this would happen. And second, why did it take them 2 years of hell to figure this out? ARRRGGHH. Radiation, the gift that keeps on giving. 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Good reminder, cmb..  My RO nurse did tell me to keep moisturizing on the treatment side.  The natural oil gland in the skin get shut down, and I don't know if they all recover, so it is a good idea to use some kind of lotion.   And I'm all about the stretching too.

• Sherryc

I too lube down daily.  I use vitamin E oil at night and keep stretched with yoga.

• lisamarie68
    lisamarie68 Member Posts: 971

when i left hospital noone told me anything about pt or excersice so i stretch myself hope im not harming anything .. i cant touch my incisions im glad i can wash them in shower but as far as lotion i cant bring myself to touch it .. :(

• elimar

We are writing about stretchihng and lotion after radiation.  Of course you can after surgery too, but not as soon.  Give yourself time to heal first, then start gently.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I didn't get rads. My chest-wall lump was over my heart at the 6 o'clock position and I didn't need an RO to tell me the risk against my heart and lung! BUT, as for rib pain, I still get it and I feel it was due to the drains. I had them in for 2 1/2 weeks, not a long time, but the body does tend to heal around them and then...WHOOSHj...out they come!! I also have Costochondritis, which is an inflamation of the rib cage! Seriously!!

Is everyone loving this new format? I find the "reply" box very tiny print!!!

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362

Well This Just Sucks!!  I'm not sure I like this new format.

argh.........

• cmbear

I'm on my I phone. Woah what a change! Interesting. Not ready to pass judgement.

• elimar

I'm somewhat resistant to change, so I don't know if it is just me or if the new format is a step backward.  My comments so far are that it is harder to browse thru' active topics and that the layout is not attractive to me.  On my computer (at least) everything is stretched horizontally.  (Does my pink doggie butt look fat in this format?  Yesiree!)  Not really liking the change, but in a week or two maybe I will get used to it.  I knew they were thinking of updating some features, but I thought the old layout was very functional and easy to understand.  I guess the real test is will the Cheetos taste as good in this new format, or not?

• Sherryc

Everyones avitars are very distorted, guess I'll join eli in some cheetos

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Elimar- you are a bad influence. I am posting while eating cheetos. Now I have orange fingers. All is does is rain here so cheetos seemed like a good idea anyways.

• barbe1958

This morning there was no notation of what threads had "new" posts!! Now I see there is a red NEW linked to them. I had to keep checking to see if I was the last poster or not. I find this box very tiny print!!!!! I think they're leaving the left side for ads.....

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

First reply on my new iPhone. I will reserve judgement until I can explore further. I will say one thing, it IS different!

• barbe1958

This morning there was no notation of what threads had "new" posts!! Now I see there is a red NEW linked to them. I had to keep checking to see if I was the last poster or not. I find this box very tiny print!!!!! I think they're leaving the left side for ads.....

Also, it's taking WAY longer to load? Anyone else find that???

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045

Taking much, much longer to lurk...... takes a looooooooong time to load each page!!!  Frown

• Sherryc

On another thread the moderators said it was slow for them as well but that it would be fixed very soon.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    Well it is a relief to know there is still room left for Cheetos!  Laughing
  • carollynn79

Cheetos the ultimate comfort food, good news the cellulitis is imprvong bad news was in a serious car accident last night, I am home with ankle and knee sprains, and much bruising especially on my right chest wall.  I am very fortunate, both car were totaled all escaped with minor injurues.  I always was a big seatbelt advocate and more so now.  The seat belt and air bag may do minor damage but I cannot imagine the damage if i had hit the steering wheel.  Hope all have a great day, I am in my recliner with my ice bag, pain pills, won't go far as I don't do crutches well but it gets me to the bathroom.

• elimar

carollynn79, Good girl using all the safety devices!  You got to walk away from the wreck...well, hobble. at least.  The auto claim is just another thing to add to all the other things that pile up.  Urrrrgh!  What is helping the cellulitis?  Did you get on antibiotics?  Glad that is improving.  Now we have to get the rest of you on the mend. 

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Me no likie new format!

• lisamarie68
    lisamarie68 Member Posts: 971

I think I need Cheetos I'm in the land of rain and never ending pain :(

• carollynn79

Elimar,

I am on antibiotics for the cellulitis, while I was in the ER she gave me a boost with an IV double dose, I will stay  on for another 10 day course and hope that takes care of it.  Back to the GP tomorrow for cellulitsi check and others. 

Weather here is cool, DH picked some asparagus, yum !

• justmejanis

Carollynn...so sorry to hear about your accident.  Cars totaled is no fun, but better than people.  I hope you get to feeling much better very soon.  Looks like Eli provided the perfect care package for you!  Feel better.

• cmbear
    Eli- are the beautiful ladies in the picture trying out for Dancing With the Stars? Smile
  • justmejanis

Carollynn...so sorry to hear about your accident.  Cars totaled is no fun, but better than people.  I hope you get to feeling much better very soon.  Looks like Eli provided the perfect care package for you!  Feel better.