Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

We need to find a Cheetos maze!!!

• TAB55
    TAB55 Member Posts: 71

Cheetos Maze...

• Sherryc

Love it! LOL
    Eli should be thrilled

• Beckers
    Beckers Member Posts: 979

A Cheetos maze. Ha!!

My father had colon cancer and I have the test on my to do list. That would be my 4th anesthesia. Is it general do you know??

• momto7
    momto7 Member Posts: 114

I   think so Beckers my brother said it was like a twlight sleep he also said it was not that bad.

• blackcat2012
    blackcat2012 Member Posts: 116

My bs said that a colonoscopy is done under what they call "conscious sedation".  They give you an IV with a sedative to make you relax and an anesthetic so you do not feel pain, and some gas through a mask you are not intubated as in a general anesthetic but you are aware and may be awake during the procedure.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

The reason I dread that test is that I have heard that here they give you nothing. You are wide awake.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Momine - I have never heard of anyone that didn't have some sort of sedation. I am scheduled for my first one this month. Dreading the prep as everyone says that is the worst part.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Momine, aren't you in Canada? They give you that twilight/sedation that's already been mentioned. You are sedated enough that you do NOT know what is going on - I slept. I've had two colonoscopies and you would never even know that someone has been where no man should go. Seriously, it's the prep of cleaning out your bowels in the preceding days that is the worst. The diet restrictions near the end make you pretty cranky! Both times I wanted a double-bacon-cheeseburger when I was done and I never eat those!!!

The mouse movie was probably Stewart Little...hehehheheheehe

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

I had a full body MRI which showed no problems with the colon. Is a colonoscopy still needed? I hope not.

• Momine

I am in Greece, and in some hospitals at least, they do it with no drugs.

• barbe1958

Hmm, we've had this conversation before about you being in Greece!!! There is a Canadian that uses the same avatar as you and I get confused. They must use SOMETHING over there, even if just to relax you. An IV valium or even oral.... 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

It sure is getting colon-y around here.  Well, it IS a Mid-Age issue. 

I have to say I agree with Barbe's description on how it was for me (minus the bacon-cheeseburgers.)   I told them to go light on my sedation.  I wanted to look at the screen.  No such luck.  Or maybe I WAS awake but just do not remember.  Here they give you the drug Versed, which is an amnesiac-class drug, so for all I know I was up and spouting off about aliens the whole time.  Just don't remember a thing.

Momine, I have heard that some have gotten colonoscopy and been awake, because they mentioned looking at the screen; but I still think they got something to relax them and/or ease the minor discomfort.  I say minor because (as Barbe said) I woke up and didn't even feel "violated."  I could not even tell I had been probed.  I do hope you can have the screening comfortably.  Let us know how it is done, when you do get one.  That is part of our cultural exchange program here.

blackcat2012, welcome!  So, what is your Dx, and whereabouts are you in treatment?

Dianarose, Check out "virtual colonocopy" since I think that uses either CT or MRI, but I don't know if either takes the place of the old-school probing.

• Momine

LOL, on the cultural exchange. My friend had taken her MIL for one and swore the poor woman was given NADA, nothing, zip. I shall definitely investigate further.

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378

I had a colonoscopy in 1999 WITHOUT anything.  That's why I've never had another.  My DH had one with the same doctor & he got the twilight drugs....  Why?  All I could think was that he just didn't like me!

• barbe1958

Momine, your friend wouldn't know if her MIL got drugs or not as you are immediately "AWAKE" and clear-headed (except for those who dream of mice....). She wouldn't have seen her MIL get the drugs either, and by the time she saw her again, her MIL would just be starving!

• Sherryc

I had sedation and do not remember a thing and did not feel dragged afterwards

Dianarose yes you still need the colonoscopy. My stepdad had stage 3 CC and it did not show up on the Pet scan but did with the colonoscopy. MO said that is not unusual colonoscopy is the best detection with CC

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Since we are on the subject....

i had one in March 2008...didn't see or feel anything....when i woke up they offered me juice.......

Do I need one every 5 or 10 years?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,294

Momine:  My doc also uses Versed.  When i requested to be awake & aware, he offered me that option but said i couldn't change my mind in the middle so I chickened out.  Sounds like you're right.  He said many European come to the US for the test since they mostly use nothing over there.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,294

Elimar:  Best wishes dealing with your latest issue and thanks for managing this thread. 

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

I recall waking up (being aware anyway) at near what I think was the end of my colonoscopy. I could see the nurse to my left front & a computer screen. I was laying on my left side & the nurse was pushing very firmly, repeatedly, downward on my lower abdomen. It was hurting. I remember moaning & the nurse said, "It's okay, honey. We're just trying to push the gas down." And the next thing I remember I woke up in the recovery room. I didn't ask anyone about it, I didn't even remember it until much later.

• Beckers
    Beckers Member Posts: 979

I had DIEP 3 months ago so the thought of them pushing on my tummy??? Oh no no. I have a referral thats good for 1 year so I'm going to wait.

• blackcat2012
    blackcat2012 Member Posts: 116

Elimar:  I am still basically in the waiting room.  Mammograms/ultrasounds show three lumps with largest being 7 x 4 x 3 cm at 5 o'clock with bi-rads 5 and bi-rads 4. They were unable to biopsy the other two at this point. Both core biopsies I had of the large lump are inconclusive and I have been transferred to a new bs as my old one went on an indefinite leave of absence right after I last saw her and I was tentatively scheduled for an excisional biopsy, so I am in limbo at the moment.  I am just frustrated and I am learning so much from these boards and I have a family history of breast cancer, but my family does not discuss it.

• elimar

blackcat2012,  Let's hope the new BS can figure you out.  That is a little strange, with your lump being large, that the samples that they got were not conclusive, IMO, but I don't claim to know the finer points of biopsy.  There is still a chance that you have some benign condition, but the chance seems like only a slim one even if just based on the BIRADS evaluation.  I think when it IS B/C, and there are multiple lumps (and sizeable ones,) that mastectomy is something you have to consider.  You will find a ton of information about that on this discussion board.  You may not have family that will discuss, but you have found a whole B/C community that won't stop discussing.  We are here for you.I hope you do not have too much anxiety right now.  I am playing the waiting game now myself and it really is true that "worrying will not change anything" so try not to let the worry eat into you.

• barbe1958

blackcat it makes no difference whether your family will talk about it or not. Only 5-10% of breast cancer is hereditary!! So this is all about YOU and not them! I had a very, very rare type of breast cancer called Papillary Carcinoma so I wonder if you've fallen into a strange group like me - less than 2% of all breast cancers!!

• elimar

O.K., Barbe1958...I notice your new signature tag line.  Did you not trust us to do the math?  Snicker, snicker, hee, hee.  LaughingSealed Innocent

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

E ~ I know exactly what that ship is.

On the Anniversary of such a tragic event....

People still talk of the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald here in MI. I have seen the bell they retrived from it at the museum at Whitefish Point. Great place to visit if anyone ever gets to the northern edge of the Upper Peninsula of MI. Lake Superior is beautiful but so violent at times & has claimed so many, many lives.

RIP Edmund Fitzgerald.......

• MENA1954
    MENA1954 Member Posts: 111

Beckers, ME 2!!!!  I have never had one done because I don't know if I can handle the prep.  My Gastroenterologist is waiting for me to make an appointment but as you said " DIEP 3 months ago, colonoscopy can wait a little longer and with the help of God everything is going to be just fine!!!

• elimar

Val,  Just relating my situation with what can happen when the "winds of November come early."  Get it?  Gordon Lightfoot knows.

All you 50+ Middie ladies, If you can't quite bring yourself to submit to the alien probe, and the nasty prep, you can always ask your doc for the home test known as the Fecal Occult Blood test.  That is if you don't mind collecting your poo for 3 days AND smearing it on some little cardboard squares.  But (and it's a big butt too) the down side to this little test is you can easily get a false positive if you have a cranky hemmorhoid or three.  It is actually suggested that these be done annually, in between the probing years.

• staynsane
    staynsane Member Posts: 196

Yes, I started doing the fecal occult tests at age fifty (thank you for the compliment, Elimar!)  Every year my primary care doctor (Kaiser, No CA) mails me a packet which contains a stick, similar to a small mascara brush in a plastic vial.  You just put a special paper they provide in the toilet first, poop on it (it floats), put the end of the stick in it, then insert it in the vial, seal and mail back.  Easy Breezy.  I have heard that this test is not as reliable as a colonoscopy, but you don't have the slight chance of perforating your colon and don't have to go through the pre-cleanse process either.

I like that it is automatically sent to me and is so easy and private that I do it without fail every year.