Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Bobbisil
    Bobbisil Member Posts: 6

Staysane, dang girl! There's NO WAY you're over 50!! You look great! :)

• blackcat2012
    blackcat2012 Member Posts: 116

I'm just nervous I guess and I did get most of my radiology reports and I noticed that they do not mention anything about three masses/lumps and that one is a satellite mass.  My last bs told me that at my last appt.  I was so upset when they called me and told me my bs is on an indefinite leave of absence that I needed to take a break from seeing the surgeon and being poked and proded so I see a new bs next week.  I am hoping to get more answers then or at least better ones.  I don't know what to ask when I go in as I really don't know anything yet.

• TAB55
    TAB55 Member Posts: 71

Barbe is right.  When I had my colonoscopy 6+ years ago, they gave me a sedative, and I didn't feel anything.  Well, except that I was STARVING afterwards.  The prep is definitely the worst part.  I had planned to weigh myself after the prep, but I was too tired to do anything except curl up in the fetal position and sleep.  The good news is that if the results are good you don't need to go through it again for 10 years.  It's good to get the test, because it's a relief to know you're good to go (so to speak) for 10 years.  It helps to eat lots of fruit, vegetables and fiber.

• TAB55

blackcat2012: So sorry to hear about your lumps.  I hope they are all B9 and nothing to worry about, but don't wait to find out.  {{{{hugs}}}} to you.

• blackcat2012

I do have an appt next week so I am hoping to learn more then.

• JRyan
    JRyan Member Posts: 102

(((Blackcat2012))) good vibes coming your way!

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

E ~ Wink

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

My ob-gyn does a rectal immediately after my pap smear & sends that smear to be tested. My PCP told me if I have that done, I do not have to do the fecal occult cards.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

There is a new thread about putting our ages in our tag lines so questions about treatment can be appropriately asked. I'd always thought that having 1958 in my avatar name meant y'all could do the math, but apparently some ladies don't like math, so now it's in my tag line.

• TAB55

I'll be 57 in less than two weeks.  How did that happen?

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Gee, TAB55, I don't know, but the wrinkle fairy stops by when I'm sleeping.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Is that Edmund?  Gordon Lightfoot-worse concert I ever went to.  Love his voice & his songs, but the concert was soooooo boring.  He just sang.  No conversation, no movement, just sat & played.  I could have played my 8 track & got the same thingCool 

• staynsane
    staynsane Member Posts: 196

Thanks Bobbisil!  It helps that my avatar pic was taken when I was 30...just kidding.  Taken in Hawaii when I was 51.  I think I look younger without makeup, especially helpful when the camera is very far away. This is such a good place to come for support of all kinds.  Thank you to all of you ladies sharing the good and bad and supporting each other when family and friends just might not understand or might get tired of hearing about BC.  I get tired of hearing about BC!  But I travel a bit for work, and when I get home I find myself checking in here again...kind of a comforting place.

• barbe1958

My worst concert was Kenny G.!!!! LOVED listening to the CD's but in the concert he just played a note and held it until we finally clapped and then went on to another one!!! We actually walked out and were embarrassed to be seen leaving the joint! My sister coyly asked me the next day how the concert was and I said it was shit!! She said, Oh, the papers are saying that too. (She was trying to TRICK me!!) Haven't listened to a CD of his since.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Valjean, thanks for that comment about the gyn doing the rectal and not needing those cards. I just started with a new primary doc and they gave me that bag and I've been meaning to find out whether it served the same purpose as what my gyn does every year. Now I know!

Barbe, that's horrible about KennyG :( Glad I never saw him in concert, cause I still love his music. His holiday CD is one of my all time must listen to 50 times during the holidays favorite. Hope after some time you'll be able to erase that memory and think you just found him all over again!

Staynsane, yup...I think we're all in agreement that this website, and this particular thread in particular, rock! If you're feeling good, share and it's great. If you're feeling like crap, share and you'll feel better. If, like me, you run out of time more than should happen, just stop by when you can and read and you feel connected with everyone all over again. Makes me happy :)

• lostinmo
    lostinmo Member Posts: 332

Hi everyone, just stopping in to check on everyone. I didn't have access to the internet while I was in rads so I missed a bunch. I finished and have moved out of active treatment! Hopefully I can start keeping up better.

Hope everything is going good for everyone.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

lostinmo - Congrats on your graduation! Good to have you back again.

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498

Is the internet/world trying to tell me something?  Here are you ladies all discussing colons, and my friend all of a sudden brought the matter up (and shes a very private person, not at all prone to be discussing bodily functions) and now this shows up on my fB wall.

I guess I need to make that appointment the pcp suggested. Frown

• TAB55

elimar: That wrinkle fairy must be busy!  She spends plenty of time at my place, along with her annoying side kick the stiff joint fairy.  Getting older sucks, but I think it beats the alternative!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Tab and Eli ... I've seen both those fairies to be sure, but the fairy I really want to find and strangle is the one who goes into my closet when I'm not looking and makes the clothes smaller. I'm gonna fry that little bitch when I find her :)  Actually, when I started with a new primary a little over a month ago and got weighed, the number made me cringe (even though I weigh myself every week ... seeing on another scale was different). So I decided to take baby steps toward serious weight loss and have lost 6.6 lbs in just about 6 weeks. The best was the week I was with our daughter after she had the baby - lost 2.5 lbs that week alone from going up and down stairs dozens of times each day! Let me think - that only leaves me with about (doing the math in my head) about 40 pounds to go :) Not thinking of it that way though - just thinking to NOT gain each week and that'll be a good thing.

• TAB55

marlegal:  Congrats on the weight loss!  You're doing it the right way; just a little bit every week.  I've been slowly losing since the beginning of the year.  I've found that keeping a food diary helps.  For some reason, I hate to write down that I've eaten something bad for me.  Here's to the slimmer us in 2013!  (Yes, please fry that fairy.  She's a PITA!)

• barbe1958

Marlegal, you SCARED me!!!!!! You actually typed "a new primary" and then kept on talking! My bowels turned to liquid as I read on and realized you didn't mean a recurrence!! That was scary!!

I had my FIFTH gastroscopy on Friday. I have had them since I was about 28 due to bad stomach issues. Never been a serious problem, but as I've been having indigestion not relieved by meds, I got a recent scan. BUT, this time he took 7 biopsies. I have NEVER had a biopsy during a gastro!!! Anyone else had them?? Help! I need a hug!

• blackcat2012

Barbe {{{{Big Hugs}}}} Very scary and hoping the biopsy's turn out benign.  Nope I haven't had any tummy troubles.  

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Marlegal...i felt the same way as Barb did.....then i realized Wink

Barb...i'm sending you a warm big hug from NY......Our weather was beautiful today

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378

cindy - your dog deserves an extra hug for the help during your prep - kept you from focusing on yourself so much.  loved the story.

martha

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Big ((hugs)) Barbe - praying for benign results for you. I had a scope a couple of months ago due to tummy troubles. He did do a biopsy - all was good thankfully.

Marlegal - yes you had me thinking also.

• barbe1958

Barsco, did he say why he was doing a biopsy? Did you have to go back for results or was it just "no news is good news"? Thanks for the hugs ladies, I go today to get the results of the 4 areas that were excised a couple of weeks ago! 3 areas around my scar line and a big mass out of my abdomen....here's hoping........

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Barbe, Good Luck with the biopsy results today and hope you don't have a long wait on the gastro ones.  I wouldn't assume that no news is good news, since you never know if someone just drops the ball on calling you.  Wait some days and check in with them.  Much more satisfying to hear them actually speak the word "benign."

lostinmo, It's been a while, but time flies when you are having rads, eh?  How many rads Tx did you have?  How did your skin hold up?  What was your worst S/E?  And not to just focus on the negative, what was the most surprising thing that didn't happen during rads, or something rads didn't stop you from doing?  Also,  easier or harder than chemo for you?   Congrats on the completion af the active phase!!!  What anti-hormonal will you be taking?

Cindyl, I read that article and it made me sad.  My dog is 16 & 1/2 now, deaf, mute, half-blind with cataracts, and her rear haunches are giving out.  She needs the canine version of Life-Alert.  I used to play the "Find It" game with her a lot back in the day (which is very popular with nose-oriented houndogs) but now she is lucky to even find her food and water bowls.  Instead, she will often challenge me to find the location of her latest accident, using my nose.  Her favorite game, for a while, now is called "carcass," and she is the undisputed master of it.  Two nights ago, I looked in the yard and saw her laying in an ungainly position in the frost-bitten, yellowed hosta plants by the deck.  Her wide and unmoving eye reflecting the houselight back at me.  I called my husband and we both went out to investigate.  Only when we were three feet away did she raise her head (triumpantly) as she clearly communicated "Gotcha!"

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148

Positive vibes and warm hugs to all of you ladies out there.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Barbe.......big (but gentle) hugs your way! 

Eli, I loved your dog story!  What a scare she gave you....she definitely has an amazing personality.  How fun!

Marlegal...that is awesome about the weight loss!  I have struggled with my weight for all my adult life so I understand.  Your approach is right...don't look at the big picture in terms of how much you want to lose.  I always do it in baby steps.  I tell myself I want to lose five pounds.  Once I lose the initial few pounds I am so motivated to keep going.  You are doing great....best of luck to you.