Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

JRyan, I had a similar funk after finishing treatment. I think it is pretty normal. You have just lost all your estrogen, quite brutally, and the adrenalin from being in fight-mode has run out. If it does not lift soon, do talk to your doc. No reason to be a hero about it. I do find that exercise and eating properly help. Hope you feel better soon.

A brown ribbon? Really??? ROFL, that is just so, so bad.

• iatigger
    iatigger Member Posts: 269

Going to get my first fill today since surgery. Not sure what to expect. I am just getting comfortable in the stretched skin so hoping it doesn't take that away too much. My exercise coach was happy with my range of motion so maybe it won't be so bad.

Still waiting my Oncotype score to see if chemo is in my future or not. Hoping NOT! Didn't think I would still be playing the waiting game post surgery.

A happy note for today, this is the last day of those annoying election commercials and phone calls!

Happy Tuesday everyone!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Eli - :( sorry to hear of your dx. Thinking of you and sending ((hugs)) your way.

Diana - congrats on your last chemo!

Valjean - 4yrs is wonderful! Here's to many, many more. 

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Elimar- I don't blame you for being angry. Enough is Enough for all of us. Question, can the colon cancer be related to the breast cancer? I am not sure of all the dam places our breast cancer can travel to.

Hugs to you my friend.......

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Dianarose, No.  I may be wrong, but I believe the most likely sites for metastasis are, in order of liklihood:  Bones, Liver, Lungs, Brain.  (Other places are possible, but those are the top four.)

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Oh CRAP elimar!! That is just so SHITTY!!! What a BUMMER!! You must feel so angry! I know I would. Like, we've already done this God... Hugs to you, sweetie, do keep us posted here as this is your thread and we DO care!!! ( capitalized DO as in DO-DO)...hehehhehe

• Dakota212
    Dakota212 Member Posts: 104

Hi ladies,

If I just had the sentinel node removed/ biopsied can I have blood pressures on that arm?

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498

Hey Dakota.  Generally, it's advised not to have bp or any needle sticks in the snb arm.

Which Dakota are you? North or South?

• Dakota212

Cindy-

Funny I am in MA!!! My dog is Dakota ;)

• elimar

Dakota212,  I don't think having the blood pressure cuff squeezing you on that side is a good idea.  Go with your other arm.

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

I don't remember where I read this, it's been a while, but I seem to remember reading if one has had BC, they are at a greater risk for developing colon cancer & that they should be checked more frequently than the norm. (just something else to scare the shit out of us!)

• elimar

I thought we all have slightly greater odds for any kind of second cancer.  Just because our bodies have a proven track record for sitting idly by when The Best starts ravaging us at the cellular level.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

I second what Barbe said regarding your postings Eli!

• staynsane
    staynsane Member Posts: 196

Elimar,

I'm so sorry to hear of your colon cancer.  We are told 1 in 8 women in the US will get BC in her lifetime.  I think I remember hearing that 1-3 will get SOME KIND of cancer in her lifetime.  Seems to me that you got more than your "share."  My mom passed from ovarian cancer two years ago, so that has invaded my thoughts, but I try to stay positive and tell myself that this is the last cancer I will personally experience.  But when you get that diagnosis it really does come down to "One day at a time" doesn't it?  Not many other options.  Like you said, you hike up your big girl panties and move on as best you can.  Thank you for sharing; I'm sure we are all pulling for the very best outcome for you from this latest curveball.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

My gastro doctor told me that having bc does increase your risk for colon cancer slightly so it is more important to do your screenings. Not that that helped you all that much Eli. I was dx in sept 2010 and just turned 50 so had my screening and found precancer so will be having more frequent screenings

• Sherryc

iatigger welcome to the middies. My fills were not bad at all. Usually a little feeling of pressure for about a day.

Dakota I would not take the chance on BP on the snb side

• JRyan
    JRyan Member Posts: 102

With dx from eli, it got me thinking - when is the normal age to get that 1st colonoscopy?  Should it be earlier if we have had bc?

• iatigger
    iatigger Member Posts: 269

Thanks Sherryc, I survived the fill, nothing to it but only got one fill done because of concern there may some necrosis starting on the other. :( hoping the antibiotics will clear it up before it gets that bad.

• Sherryc

Jryan I do know younger bc women who's MO recommended they get early colonoscopies

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Dakota, NO blood pressue on node side. NOPE.

• Dakota212

Thanks ladies ;)

• Dakota212

Ok 1 more question. Anyone have experience with latisse? I have what I need I just have no clue when to use it. I start chemo a/c tomorrow.

• elimar

JRyan, The magic number is age 50.  I was never told that we should be screened earlier due to B/C but, if a person has a family history of C/C, it is probably advisable to go at an earlier age.

Welcome, staynsane!  You are one young looking Middie, we might have to card you!

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148

Elimar, good vibes sending your way. Anger away! Be brave.

• elimar

Thanks to all for the positive vibes.  I am just a rat (the cute kind) set down in another maze.  I got thru' that first one alright, and the learning curve will help me scamper thru' this second time.  There better be some ratty num-nums at the end!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

of course there are.....Cheetos, what else would there be?

• elimar

Aha-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Of course!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I'm pretty good with those maze games.  Call me if you need help!

• momto7
    momto7 Member Posts: 114

My dad had colon cancer so my surgen suggested i get tested after my surgery and all is healed ugh just the thought but both my brothers have had it done too so i guess it is not so bad to get tested

• JRyan
    JRyan Member Posts: 102

I'm pretty good at maze games too - and, heck, if there are cheetos at the end, I'm all over that :)

My husband had a colonoscopy last year. He said it wasn't that big of a deal.  All I remember about it was that he was so drugged up when I was driving him home, he kept saying that he wanted to go to the store to get his fishing license (he hasn't fished in the 20 years we've been together!) and he wanted to buy the movie with the mouse in it.  We never could figure out which movie it was. But we still talk about how I was laughing so hard the whole way home!