MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

og.....don't worry we will go to Nola early and party before the DIEP.

We'll have a slippery nipple or some other drink!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    cookiegal, two questions.  Did you get your holiday ornaments put away without any mishaps?  Also, how are you doing with radiation Tx?
  • Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I was given the choice of MX or lumpectomy.  I was so overwhelmed I hae no idea what they said abot either.  but ultimately they left it up to me.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Love the deer and snowman pic!

• Hannahbearsmom
    Hannahbearsmom Member Posts: 266

That deer nibbling on the snowman's carrot nose is too cute!! TCK

• elimar

Going for my bone density test this morning.  I know from the comments that tests don't get any easier than this one, so no anxiety, no sleepless night, I'm good to go. 

• Meece

I was supposed to go in for body scan, but with the holidays I put it off and now the insurance approval is out of date.  I have to get a new approval.  I have had no scans other than breast MRIs since Dx.  Never had a bone density scan. 

• carolinachick
    carolinachick Member Posts: 135

Meece - Do you have the breast MRI's regularly?  I had one before my lumpectomy, but have read that an MRI is more effective than a mammo if you have dense breasts and/or are triple negative (I qualify on both counts).  I had my mammo last week, and my surgeon said that he could go either way on the MRI, depending on my preference.  I told him that I was okay with just the mammo as long as the radiologist felt like my films were readable.  Now I'm second-guessing that and wondering if I should push for the MRI.

Also, is anyone here planning on going to the Living Beyond Breast Cancer Young Survivors Coalition conference in Atlanta at the end of February?  It's for anyone who was diagnosed before the age of 45.  I barely qualify - diagnosed last January and turned 45 in March - but am considering attending.  Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.youngsurvivorsconference.org/

• elimar

The bone density is not having to do with the B/C, other that my Tamox. could actually improve the density.  Just wanting one done as a baseline as I hit menopause (since it's downhill for bones from there and my mom does have osteoporosis.)   Also, want to know where I stand, bone-wise, in case anyone starts mentioning taking AIs to me in the future.

carolinachick, My radiologist just told me that she might like to send me for MRI at a future screening (because it IS good to image dense breast tissue) BUT she made sure to scare me a little about the false positive readings that can result.  Here is my thinking on that:  If something shows up in my treated breast, I feel o.k. with a wait-and-see approach because if my B/C recurrs there it should be the slow growing kind I originally had, or it may turn out to be nothing.  If MRI shows something in untreated breast, I think I would go for biopsy because that could be something else entirely (or nothing, but I could not take that chance.)

• elimar

Did it...Easy-peasey.  Thirty minute wait, ten minute test.  The usual.

[Factoid - I asked how the radiation compared to a regular X-ray, and the tech said much less.  "I give these all day long and never have to leave the room," she said from her unguarded corner.]

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Elimar wasn't that pleasant scan comparing with others. One more thing is behind you now for 2 years.

Meece....Do you request a body scan or your DR wants you to have it. You don't need bone density test because you are ER- and you are not on any hormonal pills.

Hi Ladies!

Sheila

• Meece
    Carolinachick, Ihave had MRIs regularly for the past 5 years.  Partially because I am TN, but partially because I have had FCBD since developing breasts way back when.
  • Meece

I just mentioned to my onc that my first onc did no follow-up so she said it would be a good idea.  So, maybe I did suggest it.

• Meece

Oh, and at the Cancer Center I rec'd treatment at, they couldn't find some of my baseline test results they did before chemo and rads.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Meece I had so many tests like all of you, Im not even sure if I had a full body scanbefore my chemo.

Since March Appoinyment almost mark 5 years out, I want to make sure they dont miss anything.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Meece--the center can't find the test results?  Oh boy, if that isn't a good reason for all of us to keep copies of every report, dicatation and test result ourselves I don't know what is. 

• cookiegal

Ornaments are put away.

Rads is ok. I have had a lot of swelling, and yesterday I popped a stitch out of my drain site.

But no burns yet!!! 10 down 20 to go!Wink

• cargiver
    cargiver Member Posts: 6

Thank you ladies for the information. I am going to the doctor  this Friday

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653

cookie, don't you just have 20 to go?  Just don't want everyone to think you are having to do 40.  That would really be the pits.

When I went to the surgeon he talked to me about mast and lumpectomy.  Since my tumor was <1cm he suggested a lumpectomy.  I have very satisfied with my decision, even though I knew from the beginning I would also need radiation.  The high Oncotype DX score  is what through me, because I was not expecting to do chemo.  But am glad that I did, at least I will know that I through everything at it that I could.

Hope everyone is having a good evening.

Juannelle

• SarasotaSue
    SarasotaSue Member Posts: 3

what is tn

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653

Triple negative

• cookiegal

good catch

BUMP!

that was the sound of me falling off the diet bandwagon.

If you knew what I ate for dinner you would spank me.

We have a place here in NYC that actually specializes in fattening bar foods of the midwest.

I am having my birthday party there, they have an extensive selection of milk shakes spiked with whiskey.

http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/restaurants-bars/78749/gus-and-gabriel-upper-west-side-restaurant-review

I couldn't stop kissing my husband in the cab home because he tasted so good.

Ok I better move to the "mojo" thread.

• Meece

I have been thinking about making another request for my files and see if they add anything more to what I got the first time. 

Sorry you popped a stitch, cookie.  That makes me cringe!  I still have four "disolvable" stitches that haven't, and I have been trying to tug them out, and a soon as I get resistance, I stop because I feel queasey!

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

The "tater tots" sound FABULOUS. I lived in Nebraska for four years, and I will say that no one bakes things with cheese on top like my native Nebraskan buddies. I've never had a milkshake spiked with whiskey, though. Perhaps that's something for the Miss America menu... Jack Daniels' Smoothies?

• Meece

How about mudslides for the party?

• elimar
    cookiegal, some good news...during rads, your body is working hard to repair all those zapped cells, so don't sweat a few extra calories.  I can see how the "fattening bar food" would have it's appeal on the upper west side of NYC.  I'd probably swan dive off the diet wagon if a slice or two of New York pizza were involved. 
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

While I was waiting for my LE PT appt yesterday, I read that Amercians (does that include Canadians?) eat 18 acres of pizza a DAY!

• elimar

If you build it, they will come!  Show me 18 acres of pizza, GOOD pizza, & I'll be the first to graze.  Did it say how much beer we wash that down with?

• cookiegal

"it's got tp be a stitch..what else could it be..people don't usually have strings just start growing out of their body"

Radiation oncology resident trying to decide what to do about stitch

• elimar

Not on this planet,  but it could be a device that got implanted during your alien abduction.  Which would be a lot worse than a left over surgical suture.  On the other hand, things of alien origin usually bust out on their own.  No doubt you could hasten that happening by having a dinner party.  That usually does it.