MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495

kleenex - I think it is probably an appropriate name for a lot of us here!  I haven't had too many tears but have had a perpetual runny nose. Can't go anywhere without a bunch of kleenex. I amused the onc by saying I was sick of it and wanted nose hairs to grow back - more a priority than those on my head. But finally I am getting a little hair on my head too!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I was joking about the commissary, but I am the mom of and active duty and a reservist (Former active duty) so the word just popped in.

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383

Dang! I was hoping you were on base and I could pop on by. It's quite the base...huge!

• Meece

I've stayed down ther before.  Did you know that the series Gomer Pyle was filmed on base down there?

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383

I didn't know that. We did see the house and bar that were filmed in Top Gun. Yesterday we toured the USS Midway and tomorrow we're going to the Mechanical Museum. We'll have the best tour guide...my son did two tours in Iraq. He's being medically retired in June. YAHOO!!!! Not that he was hurt, but so glad he's getting out.

• Meece

I'll bet you are.  My active duty son is stationed where if he gets deployed he would go to Korea.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Gilly-Hi

My screen name is a Bible verse that I came across one night when I couldn't sleep and it gave me comfort. But sometimes I wish I had chosen something more dashing like Enough Like I Might Arrange Reasoning2

JoniWink

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Another lurker, sucked in.  What's up, chrisct?  If chemo-brain doesn't get you first, just being Mid-Age takes a toll on the brain cells!  My brain is down to remembering things on a space availability basis on any given day.  Seems like I have to lose something in order to fit something new in. 

Kleenex finally has an avatar, I see?  'Bout time!  Is that an actual caricature of you?

• elimar
    Eph, I look at the ho-hum boring title that I gave this thread every day (which cannot be changed,) and wonder why I couldn't have been more clever from the git-go.  Look how earnest I was back then in my BC.org infancy!
  • one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653

One thing about this thread, there is nothing off limits, except the weather.  You never know what will be the subject matter for the day.  The topics normally revolve around food or drink. 

Juannelle 

• Meece

You can always come over the the thread where we talk about weather if you are so inclined.  It has recieved a lot of interest.  Of course we get off topic some, but it like leaning on the garden gate between friends.

• cnemeth
    cnemeth Member Posts: 136

Elimar ~ chemo, BMX, tissue expanders, implants.  Next is nipples.  Then I am hoping and praying to be NED for many years.  Haven't actually heard the words yet from the Onc.

So I found this thread by noticing the "Baby It's Cold Outside" after having enjoyed that song all Christmas season.  On that thread they mentioned that you cannot talk about the weather on this thread.  Curiosity killed the cat and I had to check it out.  Then elimar with her aliens . . . .

Would say that I am attracted to a warped sense of humor but that might suggest that you all are warped . . . can't do that before I know you better.

Colleen (My mother had a good friend with this name and it seems appropriate since I am a girl.)

• eph3_12

Everyone Likes It Most All Really-the thread name got all us Cheeto loving, virtual man loving women, who swill milkshakes with whiskey here.  I like the name just fine Cool (my future's so bright I gotta wear shades)

• chrisct
    chrisct Member Posts: 310

I'm really only using chemo as an excuse - my brain failure (along with a few other things) actually started 4+ years ago at age 39 .  So - middle age, perimenopause, vitamin d deficiency - or any of a host of other things, alone or in combination, could be the cause.  But I'll use chemobrain as an excuse until the actual cause is determined - if it ever is.  Thinking of trying to get my hands on some ritalin (or concerta) to see if it helps.  I have always had add type issues...  

• elimar

Who can separate chemo-brain from the rest?   I personally plan to use the T-card (Tamox.) to explain my mental lapses & mood swings for the next five years.  Memory loss is one of S/Es. isn't it?  I've already forgotten.  Ack-ack-ack!

• chrisct
    chrisct Member Posts: 310

I just started the tamox a few weeks ago - don't think it has had a chance to make its contribution yet.  But you're right; that excuse is good for 5 whole years.  I'm going to be in trouble if I get mood swings from it though.  I can fly into a rage pretty quickly already.  But I do have teenagers...

• eph3_12

Do NOT get me started about teenagers again!!!!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Is that new pic at the top of the page a snowflake in like, dog fur? Amazing!

Barbara and the year I was born. I HATE Barb and did it as a kind of joke to myself. I crack myself up! hhehehehhehehehehe

• barbe1958

Elimar

Every lady in my area relates.

Every link I make and relate.

Everyone little is mad about rue.

• elimar

Yes, chemo gals, that's one good thing about the short hair-dos.  Harder to get a grip on it and tear it out yourself over all the teen drama.

tearing out hair Pictures, Images and Photos

• elimar
    Even Likeable In My Absurd Remarks?
  • barbe1958
    Even laughable in my absurd remarks? Laughing
  • elimar
    An improvement, Barbe!  Every lunatic is 'most always ranting.
  • elimar

Depending when you are dropping by, remember our gal Faithandfifty will have/is having/has had her Bi-Lat Mx surgery this morning.  We know she has a lot of strength, and a lot of courage; but feel free to send her lots of caring thoughts and prayers today.

pink carnations Pictures, Images and Photos

• susu1976
    susu1976 Member Posts: 94

Another lame-o: mine is my nickname (Susan) plus my high school grad year. Dull as dishwater.

chrisct:  I've used the chemo-brain and now I'm using the Tamox excuse at every available opportunity.  Why not?  We should get something useful out of this debacle, right?  LOL

barbe:  I love the name Barbara (had two good friends by that name) and I NEVER called them Barb.

elimar:  Ever lasting insight making all roar (with laughter)?

Positive energy and hugs to Faithandfifty.  Welcome to all lurkers!  Trying to reach 50 posts so I can post as much as I want, but it is slow going...

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

Faithandfifty, you were the first person I thought of this morning and all my morning prayers were for your safe surgery and speedy recovery.

Regarding teens, I only have one left thank goodness and instead of pulling my hair out now, I've taken to hitting my forehead.  He's my fourth kid, you'd think I could stand it by now but my goodness enough is enough! 

• carolinachick
    carolinachick Member Posts: 135

ChrisCT - Where in CT are you?  My son is at the Coast Guard Academy in New London.  We get up there to watch his football games quite a bit in the fall. 

Sending up prayers and sending out good vibes to Faith as she goes through her surgery today.

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

ELIMAR: Esoteric, Laugh-Inducing, Marvelous, Acidic & Rambunctious.

Yes, it's an "actual" caricature, but as such bears a rather limited resemblance to me, with some things improved and some unfortunate things emphasized. In addition, since it was drawn back in June of last year, I have gone back to having bangs - can't be that alone with my face! But it's better than being avatar-less!

It was a bad week in my teenager-infested world. Mid-terms in the middle school and high school. My girls kept "sneaking" upstairs to giggle and goof around, rather than staying downstairs and completing their midterm review packets. They were in one of those modes where they were bonding in a gang-like way and I was the bad guy. I had to deliver a lecture about how "When You Don't Do Your Reviews You Are Cheating Yourselves, Not Deceiving Me." I even roll my OWN eyes at my speeches sometimes.

I play the T-card more often than the C-card. If you're dealt it, I think it's important to use it!

Coleen

• elimar

Who knew this group was so good with acronyms?  Very clever my Middies!

Especially Loving Irony, Mockery And Ribaldry. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Got my (hopefully) last lupron shot at the PCP's office this morning.  I am slightly amazed that all the planning worked out as intended.  The pharmacy got the kit on time, the office nurse know how to use the kit, AND managed to keep me from falling completely apart!  Oh, I cried, so my record is intact (crying at every doc's appointment for 5 years), but I didn't completely fall apart.  Of course, I had a major dizzy spell while i was in the grocery store half an hour later.  I was in the middle of an aisle, got dizzy, sick to my stomach, holding on the gocery cart with as tight a grip as I could manage, and getting more and more scared as everything got kind of gray.  It seemed to last for an hour, but it was probably just a minute or so.  This whole needle phobia thing is getting so out of hand, but I can't think of a single thing I can do about it.  Or maybe I'm just going crazy. . .