Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Hey, I start drawling when talking to someone from the South and I was born in Canada!

Last week we had TWO take-out meals of burgers and fries!!! More than I`ve had this whole year, and all in one week!

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

My Southern accent always becomes more pronounced when I'm with other Southerners too. 

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

I am originally from NJ, but moved here when I turned 15, so I've lived in the south ever since. When I lived in SC my mother said should could not understand me sometimes on the phone. Even so, sometimes people will ask me if I'm from NY or NJ. They can hear the northern accent every now and then!

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

homemom, we did the opposite migration. I was born in Orlando and now live in MA. I was a pre Disney Otown person. There is some group for us on facebook. lol

• glennie19

I'm from Miami,, and I remember FL pre-Disney.  Do you remember Six Gun Terriority?  It was up by Ocala.  That was my childhood theme park !

• macatacmv

eph, here's me in FL. probably around the same time, maybe with even the same shorts.

• macatacmv

glennie, yep I member 6 gun territory. I loved Gator Land, and weeki watchi springs with the mermaids! I remember when Disney World  was orange groves. My sleepy little town is now a big city!!!

• glennie19

i remember when big parts of South Miami was farm land too.  We used to go to U-Pick strawberries on Kendall Drive where there are big shopping centers now.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

and same hair! Ahhhh, youth; so wasted on the young!

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

macatacmv! too funny! i KNOW i had those shorts too, altho i am not sure there is photographic proof!

• homemom

I was 11 years old when Disney opened and I was living in NJ. My parents were bound and determined we were going to live in Florida sooner or later.  Three years later we were on our way.

• barbe1958

Looks like most of us had healthy, normal thighs in those days. How do the girls now adays have such skinny little thighs?????

• glennie19

I STILL have really healthy thighs!   

• barbe1958

Me too!

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

I only had skinny thighs once as an adult. I was 22 and had broken up with my college BF and had not yet met new BF who would turn into DH. I weighed 102# (5'2"). I still have the size 6 jeans I wore then. A friend saw a picture just shoulders up and said I looked half dead.

I don't think I had any cutoffs. Darn it.

For those of you with DisneyWorld memories I found this. I adore Glen Campbell despite his obvious human faults. This opens with my all time favorite song by anyone. They did leave out verse 2 which is a little bit dark for this show. I think I will watch bits/pieces of it during the day. I think they did not leave in the commercials which I would have loved as well. I know the opening is brought to you by Eastern Airlines - I saw on another version. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdfEbP9vz6Y

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449

Disney!  OMG!  I remember going there with my parents in the early 70s. I have a picture with tigger and was wearing a winter jacket!!  They had tickets for the rides then. In the booklet, there were tickets for magic mountain which hadn't opened yet!  We went to the Polynesian for dinner - I hated it - and stayed at the contemporary resort. Wow. Seems like yesterday!

Eastern airlines!  I remember we flew to Orlando on air canada. It was my first flight and when the plane took off I said " the wings of man". It got me an invite to the cockpit even though the slogan was for eastern!!  Lol

Now I sit waiting for bloodwork in prep for my chemo tomorrow. Ugh!!!!

• homemom

We took Eastern Airlines from upstate NY. I got a plastic pair of "wings".  We stayed in what was then the "Royal Inn" It is just off I-4 at the Disney exit. I drive by it from time to time. Living here now and my mom is retired from Disney, we go whenever we want. I love the Wine and Food festival at Epcot. 

• macatacmv

ok, has anyone heard of thigh gap? The kids are all into it now a days! oh my gawd, the poor girls have to live up to such impossible standards. No wonder we all burned our bras and became hippies.

I have friends that started to work for Disney "way back then", now they are middle management and we can go whenever we want, too. Last time I was there, we just rode the monorail around and stopped in the different resorts. Had lunch at the Polynesian. Then rode back to the parking lot. 

fbn, I remember the ticket books. Wow, it seemed expensive then, but those booklets were too much. Disney World opened the same year I graduated from high school. hate to admit it!Shocked

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Hey! Don't diss the thigh gap ;) My hips are so wide, I would need to gain at least 30 pounds NOT to have a thigh gap.

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

Thigh gaps will not stop a dropped phone from dropping in the toilet.

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309

If you think thigh gap is bad, wait until you see "bikini bridge". Shocked

• Tomboy

ok, well whats a bikini bridge?

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

OK, I looked up "bikini bridge," and I honestly don't see the big freakin' deal. Bellies fall when you lie down.

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449

good morning all!!

Thanks for the laughs!!!!  Lol

Today is round 3/6 taxol at 2 pm. Yesterday I had my bloodwork and triage. I explained how my side effects though not bad are increasing. Aches, pains in muscles and joints, increased fatigue, continued flirting with constipation although I am keeping things moving, some abdominal aches and tingly tongue. Oh yes, I Aldo hear up like a furnace most nights which wakes me up. Do all of these SEs sound familiar to anyone?

The nurse told me that the aches and fatigues will probably increase throughout treatment although she does not suspect that it will get as intense as it was with taxotere

Ugh!

I've slept fairly well the last few evenings but today it's back to steroids and Benadryl. That = sleep for 3 hours after infusion then be wired and tired all night!! Lol

I've been on short term disability since my surgery in March and this ends sept 17 so now it's time to submit paperwork for long term disability. Funny how the thought of returning to work stresses me right out.

I don't think I can handle my job until all treatment is completed. I remember all of the stress and pressure which I used to thrive in. Right now it's hard to get out of bed in the morning and stay focused on things. Being off allows me to do things at my own pace - stress free - and focus on me

I think back to when this started. I chatted with my onc and told him that I wanted to continue working. I'm glad that he explained to me why I shouldn't.

Have a great day!!

• homemom

FBN - I've only had one treatment with the second one in two days. I had aches and pains in muscles and joints, (two days) slight constipation (I too keep it moving) and fatigue - not to forget the taste bud disappearing act for at least a week. I've been dealing with hot flashes now for a couple years and they haven't gotten worse then what I'm used to. Unlike most people here, my job is commission only based and if I were to take leave I could lose most it not all of the commission I have earned on sales. If I take FMLA and someone else has to get my home sale to closing, I could lose anywhere from 10-90% of the commission. No and Hayel NO! 

My boss has been great, letting me take off when I need and working when I can. I am a bit surprised at how much I have been able to work. I also have a colleague at work who has stepped in for me when I'm home just because "it's the right thing to do"  Sept 5th is the last treatment then on to rads, I don't know how those affect you yet.....one at a time!

• macatacmv

bikini bridge!!!???? I had to look it up, too. There is no way you'll ever catch me in a two piece bathing suit ever again unless it is a tankini ( so I can go pee easier) Oh my gawd, I sound like my mother!!!!!

fbn and homemom, hang in there!!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel for both of you. Take what ever time you need for your bodies to cope with the "sheet" these treatments are  putting them through. Your health and mental health are what is most important right now!!!!

hope we're helping with the mental health. Loopy

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

F-Nut and H-Mom, Those symptoms are all too familiar.  Chemo shut down my saliva glands.  Besides making me feel unquenchably thirsty, I think that was at the root of all things tasting weird.  Also, without the layer of saliva protection, even mildly hot spice just about killed me.  

F-Nut, be careful about any tingly parts:  hands, feet, tongue.  These are your nerves talking.  My tongue, and hands seemed to go back to normal (or very close to it,) but I am left with CIPN (chemo induced peripheral neuropathy) in the feet, and this is now almost a year PFC for me.  Report all numbness, and don't buy in to the "it should all go back to normal once the chemo ends" spiel.  Sometimes it does, sometimes not.  They are not honest about the not.

I didn't even know what a thigh gap was.  My son did.  Ha!  I've never been otherwise, but I just always called it having bony knees!

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

Hi everyone!  Just finished reading posts and would like to join in!  Could not stop laughing at a lot of these comments (bikini bridge and thigh gap!).  I did NOT know what those were! 

• Tomboy

i have a thigh gap still, always did. i was a runner,and just skinny all my life. sad to say though, my belly is not that skinny since treatment. no more bridge for me, but i always wear shorts to the beach with big pockets and a bathing suit top with a t-shirt or other top over it until i do lie down to read or relax for a little while. the pockets are because i like to pick up rocks still. if i wear a beach type skirt, then i have to wear a shoulder bag for those rocks. i use them for meditation, or to make jewelry, or try to paint their likeness. when i am good, and making stuff. who knew those bridges and gaps were a "thing".

• Tomboy

that avatar is me, just 15 lbs heavier. right in the middle, yuk. i never dieted, ate anything i wanted. not anymore but it won't leave! makes it hard to bend over, and get those rocks, etc!