Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

well, we've never seen what e really looks like! could she be the cheeto girl? I am sure in spirit anyway!

forHisglory, I was given a calming pill when waiting for the procedure. So I don't think you need to supply your own. Think it was a lorazapam. Sure helped the waiting for me. I also had the same schedule as you, but everything took longer and I didn't have the surgery until late afternoon. I remember someone asked if I was ok while waiting for a push down to  surgery and me saying I was fine, they gave me something and I am fine!!!! This with the wires all taped to my chest and the iv not put in my hand right. I did not care. They took great care of me in the operating room. So I'll say some prayers for you and your docs and nurses tomorrow. 

I also thought I would bounce back from procedure. I remember my surgeon telling me to take 3 or 4 days off work. Well, maybe because I am older or the position of the lx, I did not "bounce" back" very quickly. I had to learn acceptance and how to give my body time to heal. Do any of those teenagers like to cook and clean? Let them help you. 

My lx was 3 days before Christmas and my kids put Christmas dinner on and even bought me stocking stuff. Very sweet. They even got along for the most part. They were in their early 20s. Needless to say, I got lots of pjs that Christmas. lol and I sure used them.

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

Oh, one more thing. My PS and BS both said a rule of thumb is one week recovery for every hour of surgery. It was true for me.... maybe even a little longer.

Okay, two more things. Almost everyone finds the incision under their arm for the node biopsy to be more irritating than the breast incision or incisions.

Poppy

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

true, and true, for me, but I was so busy loathing the drain, I didn't notice that!  i had no ideas that there was such a thing as a drain! My mother had had abdominal aortic aneurism surgery a few years back, and i was there to help her through the first week or so, and she had a huge incision, and huge staples, but no drain. She's fine, for being 80!

• BookLady1
    BookLady1 Member Posts: 196

ForHisGlory - lots of good advice and good thoughts going your way. Best wishes for tomorrow.

I'm gonna miss HALLOWEEN because of all the great photos from y'all! Round 3 chemo on Tuesday. Wondering what SE's the evil chemo fairy will bring this time? Wishing for a good week for all. linda

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

ForHisGlory - welcome and good wishes for an uneventful stay in hospital.

BookLady1 - hoping that evil chemo fairy leaves you alone this week.

• PoppyK

Hey BookLady, I have my third round of chemo Tuesday, too! I hope yours is uneventful, with minimal SE!

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Hi ladies! And welcome to this fun thread newbies! Sorry you have to be here but glad you found us. Best wishes tomorrow for an uneventful lumpectomy, FHG! The worst part I remember is riding over speed humps the first couple of weeks - you better grab that boob because bouncing hurts!

My son was getting ready for a Halloween party last night. Every time I see this picture I can't help but laugh!

Remember the Burger King? Well, he's been unemployed for a few years and now earns his living as Mike Tyson's sparring partner, haha!

It's hard to help a young person of the male gender fix his costume from 2500 miles away, but finally I got him to understand to tape together some wadded paper towels into the shape he needs and stuff it in there. Naturally, I told him to start working on it 3 weeks before, but noooo.  He put it on for the first time yesterday. Well, it seems to have worked out okay :)

• macatacmv

lol, heart, I love seeing pics of costumes. My DS was some sort of Captain America. I only saw a photo on FB. 

I forgot about the going over bumps. lol Then there is the sleeping on your back or having a pillow to support your arm. Oh boy, this is all probably written down somewhere. 

so where was he putting that wadded up paper towel?

• heartnsoul76

Oh mac, I forgot about the pillow supporting your arm. I still like to do that. Now I have one under my knees, one under my right arm and one for my head. All that's missing is my left side, haha. I suppose I'll save that for a future man. Winking

So I made him make a longish wad of paper towels to put on the right side of his face from eye to chin and a smaller wad by his left temple. My plan was to use that strong tape for boxes and tape it on the inside but he said it wouldn't stick to the latex. So we made taped up wads to hopefully keep it all from falling out. However, he said we didn't plan on him sweating so much inside that mask and he said the paper towels soaked it up and flattened out. Oh well. He should have started 3 weeks ago like Mama said!

This is post-paper towels but pre-sweating:

• macatacmv

oh yeah, that looks much better. I was wondering if maybe there was a certain gender he was trying to impress with the paper towels. Loopy

I don't think I'll ever get a man into bed again. I've got the pillows everywhere, compression gloves, wrist splints, night guard for my teeth, sometimes a neck collar. lol

FHG, hope you are thru your procedure and onto recuperation!

• heartnsoul76

From children's book quotes we should never forget - this is wonderful:

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

That's lovely. 

• BookLady1
    BookLady1 Member Posts: 196

I love this thread! I'm going in for Round 3 chemo today, and I always feel inspired and happy after visiting! here. Than you everyone for keeping this going. Gotta go kick cancers a*s, now Linda

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

....I just noticed that elimars' skeletons at the top are doing a selfie! Funny!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

She needs to visit & change out those dusty ol' bones!

• mel147
    mel147 Member Posts: 291

kathec - I'm glad you mentioned that...I hadn't noticed they were doing a selfie!  Very funny!

booklady - hope round 3 went well!  Definitely do some cancer butt kicking!!!

heartnsoul - thanks for the quote...I sure need to remember that!!

• PoppyK

Hey Booklady, I just completed round 3 today, too. I also found out only one more round to go! How about you? I hope today went well and that you have minimal SE.

I saw the selfie in the photo right away... must be from having teenagers hanging around all of the time!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Booklady and Poppy, enjoy that steroid high! ;) I hope chemo was uneventful.

• ncollett
    ncollett Member Posts: 753

Jbook how cool that you got to see Randy!! I love that show and I love him. I bet it was cool.

• ndgrrl
    ndgrrl Member Posts: 645

Hi For His Glory- I was 44 when diagnosed in July 2013- The oncologist and BS both thought I would need chemo but my onco test came back at 18 which is boarder line low to middle but I have had two onchologists who both said no chemo. I stayed stage one grade two.

• PoppyK

Momine, The steriod high only effected me before the first infusion. After the first infusion, I was horribly nauseous. I think I've been so fatigued since then, that even the steroids haven't helped that much. I sure was looking forward to using it as a chance to get stuff done.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Poppy, dang it! Sorry about that. Hope you feel better soon.

• ForHisGlory
    ForHisGlory Member Posts: 16

ndgrrl...how are you doing on the tamoxifen?  My worries are being able to tolerate that. I have severe pms already and can't imagine taking a pill to bring on more of that ugh...I know I have to but....

FEELING weepy today for some reason. Cancer stinks!

• macatacmv

poppy, that sux about the fatigue and steroid combo. I remember just having to lay in bed or on the couch with my mind racing. I would just think to myself: this won't last forever, it is just for right now. And even tho it seemed like it was much too long, I got thru it. You will too, one day at a time!! We're right beside you! 

I just confirmed my appt for mammo and BS next month. But first I get to go to FL for a week with 2 girlfriends. First vacation that I have taken without at least one of my kids in forever. This is what one of my friends shared on FB:

John Michael: Mom, did you know that 15 minutes of laughing is like doing 30 minutes of sit ups?

Me: Well I'm sure to get a workout next week in Florida.
    JM: Who are you going with?
    Me: Lea and Nancy.
    JM: You're gonna have a six-pack!
    Me: hahahahahaha

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Hey gang, I was catching up and got a laugh out of those photo posts.  Funny that I never thought to dress up as a Cheeto.  I go to an annual party and this year's "cave couple" costumes came out great.  For hilarity, I stayed in character for the entire party.  After an hour, I'm sure the joke was wearing thin on some but by then I was committed to going the distance.  Sorry, I still had a Halloween topper up there so long...my bad; and I'm changing it finally.  (On the other hand, it took a few of you that long to "get" the selfie going on.)

My dear Newbies, the thought that there are so many of us getting diagnosed is horrifying and comforting at the same time.  At least that is how I felt.  Really glad I did not have to go through all of this alone.  The thought that others managed to persevere through everything just made me "woman-up" and take care of business and not let the cancer crush me.  That is not to say that there are not days that you will cry.  That goes with the territory.  That's why you see the "rollercoaster" term used so often.  No shame in getting as much help as you need going through this either, be it here, online, or IRL.  Support is priceless!

• Nash54
    Nash54 Member Posts: 699

FHG....of course you feel weepy.  You've just come thru so much.  I'm 6 weeks out and I can tell you it does get better.  

• PoppyK

ForHisGlory, The surgery and anesthesia can make you feel weepy. It's not unusual to feel this way.... so the good news is you are having a normal response. Not to mention waiting for test results.... stressful! I am sorry you are feeling this way, but hope it helps you to know it's normal, AND that we are here for you!

Macatacmv, thanks for your support. I am just grateful I'm not in pain or nauseous. The dex seems to make my brain unable to complete a thought. So maybe this is the way I get the dex energy high? You enjoy your trip to Florida and laugh your butt off!

Elimar, Good to see you! Glad you enjoyed going to a Halloween party! My oldest son playfully suggested that I dress up like Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies. He thought I would enjoy putting my nearly bald head to use!

I am so grateful for everyone here!

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Mac: where are you going in FL?  I hope you have a great time!!

Elimar:  I loved the skeleton selfies!  That was very cute.

FHG:  you are going thru a lot!  Be weepy, be emotional.  We have all been there!!  It's a stressful time.  ((HUGS))

Poppy:  good to see you!  Hang it there!!

**waving at everyone**

• chipmunk57
    chipmunk57 Member Posts: 28

Mac, I am going to FL (Daytona Beach) from Nov. 16th to 18th with DH & DD. We will be celebrating one year cancer-free. Can't wait!

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

chipmunk - I'm from Daytona and we just bought a tiny beach condo for weekends etc. There is something about the sound of the ocean that puts you at peace!

Congratulations!! 

Great place to eat: Mario's in Ormond Beach on Route 1

Cracked Egg - S. Atlantic Avenue Daytona Beach Shores

Our Deck Down Under for fish sandwiches - Under the Dunlawton bridge DBS

Booth's Bowery - Nova Road - Port Orange - Great roast beef melt sandwich

Just in case!