Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Hi Elimar,  

My Vitamin D level is good. My PCP has been testing that for a few years now and I am on supplement for that. (despite living in the Sunshine State!)  And you have also heard that staying on melatonin will suppress your production too.   Thanks for the reply.

Love the new Halloween pic!!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

One more thing...  I was just out walking with my MP3 on, listening to some reggae, and it made me think of all who were/are or about to be chemo-bald:

One day you are a dreadlocks

(wear dread)

Next day you are a bald-head

(clean shaved)

It might not be quite that quick and I know Max Romeo wasn't singing about chemotherapy, but that's a fairly accurate description.  The song is called "One Step Forward," and that seems appropriate too.

I didn't have the chemo that makes you lose all your hair (mine did thin a bit) but I do remember thinking that IF I had to get a cover-up cap, I was going to get one of these...    What the heck, people gonna shoot you a look either way!                       

• glennie19

You are so right,, they will be looking anyway.  Go in style,, reggae-style! 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,313

Checked out the Max Romeo YouTube.  Liked the version with the Upsetters.  Thanks for the reference.  Haven't heard good regae in awhile.

• mel147
    mel147 Member Posts: 291

glennie - Although I haven't tried this, I believe this is the one my sister-in-law is taking.  I think she said it is pretty much Benadryl.  I will try to double-check with her this week to make sure this is the brand.  She has had to take something ever since menopause hit her.  Good luck tonight - sending happy sleep thoughts your way!!

Introducing ZzzQuil - A non-habit
    forming nighttime sleep aid for when you just need a good night's sleep.
    From the makers of Vicks NyQuil. For the relief of occasional
    sleeplessness, reduces time to fall asleep if you have difficulty
    falling asleep. Non-Habit Forming. Not for colds. Not for pain. Just for
    sleep. Sleep soundly so you can wake refreshed. Not for treating cold
    or flu.

• Package Quantity: 1
    • Health Concern: Insomnia
    • Includes: Sleeping Aid
    • Health Facts: Contains Diphenhydramine HCl
    • Product Form: Liquid
    • Suggested Age: 18 Years and Up
    • Product Warning: use caution while driving
      a motor vehicle, ask a doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, ask
      a doctor if you have prostate issues, consult a doctor if you have
      heart disease, do not use with other diphenhydramine products, consult a
      doctor if you have a breathing problem, not for children under the age
      of 12, consult a doctor if taking prescription drugs
    • CPSC Warnings: no_warning_applicable
  • nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

FYI--diphenhydramine is the chemical name for Benadryl.

• glennie19

thanks, Mel.  I checked it out, and it is Benadryl.

• mel147

Glennie -  I just spoke with my sister-in-law and the one she takes is actually a generic form of unisom but is also really just Benadryl.  Kind of funny, though, as I'm not sure why they are coming up with all these other names for it...why not just tell people to take regular old Benadryl?  She said it helps her fall asleep better and if she does wake up during the night, she is able to fall back asleep more quickly if she has taken the meds.  She still has her ovaries, but she hit menopause a few years ago and is still dealing with the sleep problems and hot flashes.

• glennie19

Benadryl is off patent,, so everyone can make it,, and they all want you to take THEIR brand!  Plus diphenhydramine is too hard to say. Benadryl is much easier. I am glad that it is working for her. These hot flashes suck.

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296

I used to use benedryl but it quit working for me because I basically need an every night med. I take meds for depression so my doc just adjusted those. For occasional use, benedryl works great!

• mel147

justamy - I actually kind of wondered about taking it every night (even though my sister in law does it and her doctor said it was fine) because it made me think what if I needed it to stop an allergic reaction?  Would it still work for that if I took it all the time for another purpose?  Just a thought I had...luckily I don't need it at this time so it remains just a thought!!

glennie - good point - I suppose all the companies want to try selling their own special version of the same thing...ha, ha!  Hang in there with the hot flashes.  I was going to say it will be cold soon, but then I remembered you are in FL so you probably have to wait a little longer.  Keep the AC running!!

• dechi
    dechi Member Posts: 110

Actually Unisom comes in 2 varieties.  The Diphenhydramine type and this other type:  

Doxylamine Succinate

The active ingredient used in Unisom SleepTabs® is clinically proven to help you fall asleep 33% faster.4 It works like diphenhydramine HCl, but instead of just blocking histamine, doxylamine succinate also blocks acetylcholine,5 which causes you to get drowsy and fall asleep. Unisom is the only leading over-the-counter sleep aid brand that uses this fast-acting sleep ingredient.

I've been using this and it works much better than diphenhydramine for me.  

• missingmercury
    missingmercury Member Posts: 156

I have trouble sleeping the night before chemo and the night of.  I just try to stay in bed.  Chamomile tea helps sometimes.

This is me and my sil/bff at chemo today.  Yeah, we got looks.

• glennie19

I love it!  You both look so cute!!

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

I worked nights when I was just out of nursing school. Unisom got me thru daytime sleeping. But oddly enough only 1/2 tab. Benadryl just makes my mind race if I take if for sleep. Made that mistake with some Tylenol PM.

MissingMercury - love the hats. Whatever it takes to make you laugh and gets you thru it. Hoping the odd looks were from other patients (though you may have given others some ideas) and not from the staff. One lady wore a rotating series of those knitted animal hats but she is from Canada - meaning it is cold there.

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

Missingmercury, Very cute picture!

• missingmercury

Luvmygoats, it is cold here now.  I have hats I rotate through.  Not too outlandish as they are for work.  You are right.  Any little thing to get you through this with some smiles is priceless.

• mel147

missingmercury - great picture! Glad you have a fun bff to go with you!

• chipmunk57
    chipmunk57 Member Posts: 28

missingmercury: love the matching earrings too!

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

mmmmmmminions!!!

• missingmercury

Thanks all.  Her mom died of ovarian cancer years ago, so there was no way she was not going to support me and going to as many chemo's as she can does make them more bearable.

Happy Halloween all.  Wearing the minions to work today.  Happy

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

this made me think of everyone here. lol (mainly eli)

Embedded image permalink

• glennie19

great costume!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

ha ha mac - love it!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

GREAT costume! 

• ForHisGlory
    ForHisGlory Member Posts: 16

Hi everyone, been reading all over these boards and fit in so many places! I'm 43 diagnosed in September with .7 cm IDC, and  going tomorrow for lumpectomy,  sentinel node biopsy,  and nipple removal.  My original pathology says grade 1 and 90% ER and PR+. Her2 was equivocal on first test then negative on 2cnd. I am preparing for all this to change because after reading these boards I realize that this can happen. Due to my age they expected it to be a bit more aggressive so I'm assuming oncytype could be high? Anyone stay grade 1 with low oncytype in early 40's? 

I think I'm prepared for tomorrow...button up pj's, and netflix ready for me to rest! I will be an overnight stay in the hospital due to history of seizures after anesthesia.  Any advice appreciated.  

I have 8 children, 5 still at home ages 17, 15, 13, and two 12 year olds. Hoping all goes smoothly so I can get back to being a mom as well as work. (RN UNIT manager for a local skilled nunursing rehab)

Just trying to get prepared for what's up next.  I know tomorrow is going to be a long morning arrive 730,with radioactive injection @ 830, wire placed at 1030 and surgery at noon. 

Thanks for all the posts for us newbies to read...really help mentally and emotionally prepare!

• Nash54
    Nash54 Member Posts: 699

ForHisGlory...oh my 8 children.  You are one busy lady. The only advice I can offer about the morning of surgery is take a Xanax if you have any.  It sure helped clam my nerves. 

(((hugs))) 

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Is that Katy Perry as the flaming hot cheeto?

ForHisGlory, wow girl!  What a life.  You sound pretty prepared, being a nurse I think must help somewhat.  I went into this whole experience 5 years ago & knew diddly.  Allowed my docs to lead the way.  I ended up doing OK (I think) but wish I had taken a bit more pro-active approach initially.  Best wishes for everything tomorrow & as you recover.

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

Yep, that's Katy Perry.

ForHisGlory, I was diagnosed at 49. Not as young as you, but the docs didn't think the areas on my mammograms were cancer.... and they were, so who knows how long it was there. I'm also premenopausal, grade 1. My Oncotype Dx score is 10.

After Lx, I found out my cancer was a little bigger, but the grade and HER2, ER and PR status did not change. Once you have your Lx, you should get a clear answer on your HER2 status. The only unexpected and bad thing was that cancer was found in my nodes. Surprised me and the docs.

I hope this helps you. I hope your surgery goes well and that you don't have any seizures. Anesthesia has come a long way, with new drugs being used.

One thing you might consider is having some friends or family bring your family meals. It will make things so much easier as you recover. Minimal grocery shopping and clean up. You will want to take it easy and save your energy for your kids. I have used the website TakeThemAMeal.com. It takes about 5 minutes to set up and all coordination is done by email.

I'll be praying for you!

Poppy

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

Welcome, ForHisGlory! Welcome, and good for you for finding us so quickly. All you really have to do today is get to sleep tonight! Then once you get there in the morning, it all goes pretty quickly, and it's kind of interesting, to see what they do till you fall asleep, then you wake up- and it's done. Not over, I mean, cause the hard part is learning to take it easy, but you sound like you made your self a good crew to help you. That is a lot of kids! You will never be lonely! You are pretty young, apparently I was 45 when mine started, according to my breast surgeon. It ch-chills me to the b-bone to think I was living with it for so long, unbeknownst to myself! Crikey! (did i just say crikey?). I think I will go and take a xanax and clam my nerves! (teasing, Nash!) will be sending you well wishes in the morning, FHG.