Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

OV is office visit, Tomboy. Yes, I named a few seasons, referred to in a temporal way, not climatology! Wouldn't it be just like me to break my own rule? But don't think of it as a "no-weather rule," think of it as a "no-weather guideline" (so says the one guiding all to other topics. Ha!)

Deb2012, HRH? Ahahaha! My hiney has been thru' a lot. It deserves a medal, at least. Tiara? Well I'm intrigued by that look! Probably slip off my little pointed head. Can't get a halo to stay in place either.

Just in case anyone is wondering...NO, the trauma of my BC is not as fresh in my mind as it once was. That's a good thing really. Honestly, I am not perusing the journal articles as regularly as I once did. I like when someone brings breaking news to the thread, because I don't think I am as "on top of it" as I once tried to be. Things are changing all the time and it won't take long for my knowledge to become outdated, but it is not my goal to rack up a bunch of "continuing ed" hours about all things BC. I will still encourage just about anyone to seek out their own info. from various sources; and the internet is so great for everything from medical journals to woman-to-woman anecdotes. Even the medical community seems to be accepting that this is how we can learn so much about our disease, and sometimes even steer us toward internet resources.

Knowledge is power. Francis Bacon said that...and who doesn't like bacon?

Just when you all thought I went off on a tangent...I think the Bacon Tiara brings it back around!!!!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Eli aka HRH (Deb you crack me up) - so glad to hear that all is going well for you! At first glance I thought the tiara was perhaps a Cheetos tiara. But bacon, well that is just as good. And wearing the tasty pork product won't contribute to your fatty liver.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

Eli-Hooray for good results.!And the bacon Tiara!

• DavisD
    DavisD Member Posts: 15

Debonthelake -it was so random I landed on your post when I went to this thread. I will be 54 this month, have a son and daughter 24 and almost 26. I am also a mental health professional (for 25 yrs) and in the past 7 yrs have been doing homeless outreach to the seriously mentally ill.  I am getting ready to go through six rounds of chemo spaced three weeks apart. It seems overwhelming now, to think it will be at least 18 weeks before I'm done and may need radiation after. I really don't have a choice about working. I carry the insurance, pay the mortgage, etc..In addition I  love my job and worry they will reassign me to a mindless position in some group home (loved it 20 yrs ago) but not now.  Filing FMLA will keep me employed but I think they could move me to another program.  I work for a CSB, County government.  Would enjoy any tips you may have for getting through this.

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Elimar

Let's all...

• staynsane
    staynsane Member Posts: 196

Eli- You are right; I was emphasizing the guttural, phlegm-laden pronunciation of Alzheimer's...however unintentional. Uh oh....

Barsco- You too are correct that a bacon tiara would not contribute to Eli's fatty liver. However it just may have her researching fatty follicles for days!

• elimar

DianeDavis, I don't remember a Debonthelake from this thread, but if you did read something here, I bet you came in on a page from long ago, so don't feel slighted if there is no response from the one you wrote to. Chemo IS a long stretch, especially as you are just at the starting gate. Most of us just buck up and forge ahead and once you pass the mid-point, you feel worse from the cumulative effects, but better because you are getting that much closer to the finish line. Hope any changes that take place at the job will be only temporary for you. So not fair when this stupid disease cuts into the work niche that it may have taken years to get to.

Loral, That cat can really shake a leg. He must smell some bacon sizzling somewhere nearby, (I don't know, but in a certain t.v. commercial, a dog goes bonkers for it!) I need to happy dance for fitness. Finally got out to walk a couple miles this afternoon and I could feel that I was out of shape.

• DavisD
    DavisD Member Posts: 15

elimar-It was so thoughtful of you to respond. It's just so encouraging to be in "a room" with women on similar journeys.  thanks!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Eli - the crocuses (or is the plural "croci") are beautiful. Can't wait to see them IRL - a sure sign that you know what is on the way.

Took the dog for a walk today - she loves it when I throw snowballs for her to run and catch. I think I actually saw her laughing when I took my hand out of the snow on this instance to discover one of the "deposits" she has made along the way. Glad I had my mittens on!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

Ewww, Barsco! I've done the same thing! Hooray for mittens and gloves!

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Hello everyone! It has been awhile since I've posted on this thread. In fact, I don't get to BCO nearly as often as I used to. You know, I remember early on in this ...... gosh, I so hate to say **journey** .... I'll just say, I remember gals here saying they don't think about what they've been through, this SFBC thing, every day.... the days just pass by & they are so busy doin' their thing, they just DON'T...... And I guess that has been me for the last several months.

My 6th year cancerversay was last Nov 5th & I didn't even think about it that day. I went to lunch & shopping with a couple of special friends & we had a wonderful time. I didn't think about what the significance of that day was until a few days later. How cool is that?!? I had a beautiful Christmas with my daughters, SIL's & Grandchildren & loved the smell of the cold, snowy air & am awaiting the arrival of the leaves & flowers of spring.

I passed my Feb 20 date of beginning Aromasin, of which I have been on for exactly six years now. Doing well & hope to continue to. I see my MO every 6 months with my next appointment April 1st. I had my labs done a couple of days ago & am keeping my fingers crossed that all is well with that.   

Life does move forward. I lost my Mother 37 years ago.........so far, that was the worst day of my life..... You hear this often, but it is true... she really was my best friend.... And guess what I did that day......I celebrated my life by having a very long conversation with a dear friend....laughing....sharing.....just living. And as this friend said to me, that is what she would want, me living.

So, it does happen. We move forward because that is what we do.

I think of all of you; I do see some of the great gals (friends) here on FB & we share there. It saddens me to see the new gals (& guys) here.... welcome. I am glad you found us.

I have made some lasting friendships here, I do know that. And I wish that for all of you here, as well. I will continue to **pop** in every once in a while, if not to post, then to at least check out Elimar's pic at the top!!

Ô¿Ô 

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

way to go Elimar!

• elimar

Glad to hear from you, Valjean. You always do quite well with those routine labs, so I do believe the results from your blood work results will be very undramatic (and we likes it that way!) It probably does make some kind of difference, the age we are when we lose out moms BUT it is one of the greatest losses we can have no matter when it occurs. I think we have to honor our moms by living full and happy lives (like they would want for us) even tho' we might miss them daily. Sounds like you have a wise friend!

In case if the newer ladies think, "Why do some Middies bother to come on this thread just to say they don't hardly think about their BC," well, we are really trying to pass on a form of encouragement...that you just might reach a point where it does not occupy your mind all day, every day, like it does in the beginning. It's like most things of a traumatic nature, your mind does you the kindness of removing some of the horror over time. It will happen for you too. Meanwhile, while the horror is fresh, you can be as open as you wish here and we ALL understand it. Yes, we do.

• DayLily15
    DayLily15 Member Posts: 34

Thank you Elimar and the ladies like you who do pop in to tell their news, and the knowledge here is profound .

Health to All :)

• elimar

Hi, DayLily15! I am sure the fresh horror I was just talking about rings a bell with you right now. Want to wish you the best for upcoming surgery. If we can assist you with any info. or anxiety, let us know.

Just had a thought of how a few people don't care for the "fight" cancer or "battle" cancer phrases because they don't feel like "cancer warriors." I get it, but then I just don't think you can really have a "peaceful co-existance" with cancer. There is just no "cancer detente," is there?

• deborah2012
    deborah2012 Member Posts: 58

Elimar, The post about why some middies come to post when we don't think of our BC was a truly beautiful post. Thank you for that one. Super meaningful.

I just saw the bacon tiara!!!!!! How on earth did you manage the rosettes?????? Very artistic! I love it!

Valjean's post really touched me. So glad she made friends here on BCO. I made one of my best friends here on BCO.

DayLily15, private message me if you've a moment. My right MX was in 2012. Sorry you're part of the "club".

• DayLily15

So far this site has helped me pretty much keep it together, and it has answered most questions i have had, plus some i didnt know i had [ like silky satin pj bottoms to slide out of bed :)]. im concentrating on being ready and able for the surgery.

Telling my loved ones was horrible, but now thats done i feel much better. i had to practise saying "i have BC "

Thank you all for the welcome

Health to all :)

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Daylily: some like to sleep in a recliner after surgery. I don't have one of those, but I got a bed wedge pillow that looks like a big triangle and that was really helpful for me.  Bring a pillow in the car for the ride home to cushion your chest from the seat belt. 

• chipmunk57
    chipmunk57 Member Posts: 28

Daylily, make sure you have some button-front shirts to wear, as you won't be able to pull anything on over your head for a while. Also, you won't be able to shower until your drains come out, so some facial cleansing wipes that don't need rinsing are easier for sponge baths than a facecloth and soap. I loved my satiny pj's too!

Best of luck for your upcoming surgery !

• glennie19

Walgreens has really great large size cleaning cloths that need no rinsing. Look in the "medical supplies" aisle for them. They are large enough that your hand fits inside the "glove".

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I LOVE how we help!

E, I'm reading a book called Time is A River. by Mary Alice Monroe. It's about fly fishing & BC recovery. It talks about Casting for Recovery which you and I weren't successful in getting to go to (I still want to learn to fly fish especially re-fueled by accidentally picking this book up at Barnes & Noble in the sale row; started it have to finish) I think this up-coming season is a great time to learn it!

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

I love how we help, too! A lot of this info is good to know for anytime in our lives. I had a lumpectomy and it didn't take me long to realize I needed a pillow for that seat belt. Maybe seat belts are more adjustable in newer cars than they are in my old one, but after a while mine works its way up to my neck and starts choking me. I have to pull it down every now and then. I think, if I had a wreck and it was on my neck it would snap it! Aren't I little Miss Sunshine? Loopy

Eph, I would love to learn fly fishing too. I'm sure you have actual edible fish in Oregon, but there is a river that runs through Atlanta that my brother fly fishes (?) in. He said he just throws the fish back but that would be so fun and relaxing. I remember Sherry who used to come here was able to do that with the Casting For Recovery people and she loved it! I wonder if we're too far out from cancer to participate now?

I just had a breast MRI and everything looks good, so I'm thrilled about that! It's just that it was ordered because my side boob is pink and hot. My BS, who ordered it, said it will rule out a malignancy and an infection. So now he's perplexed and is sending me to his dermatologist. I think it might be related to the radiation booth I had to stand in for about a minute or two at the airport recently. The pink area is the same area that had the 6 extra boosts of radiation. I think the skin may be especially fragile there and susceptible to a dermal reaction with extra radiation. But who am I to say. Hopefully, this most excellent dermatologist I'm going to see will solve the problem once and for all. And as long as it's not a malignancy I can cope. Honestly, I was changing the whole course of my future because of this pink spot. Since my BS was dismissive of the likelihood of it being an infection, I was afraid he was fairly certain it was a malignancy. And on top of that I just quit the Tamoxifen in October so I was freaked out. Ugh, it's amazing how fast you can sink back into that dark place when something scares you again.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

I love how we help, too! A lot of this info is good to know for anytime in our lives. I had a lumpectomy and it didn't take me long to realize I needed a pillow for that seat belt. Maybe seat belts are more adjustable in newer cars than they are in my old one, but after a while mine works its way up to my neck and starts choking me. I have to pull it down every now and then. I think, if I had a wreck and it was on my neck it would snap it! Aren't I little Miss Sunshine? Loopy

Eph, I would love to learn fly fishing too! I'm sure you have actual edible fish in Oregon, but there is a river that runs through Atlanta that my brother fly fishes (?) in. He said he just throws the fish back but that would be so fun and relaxing! I remember Sherry who used to come here was able to do that with the Casting For Recovery people and she loved it! I wonder if we're too far out from cancer to participate now?

I just had a breast MRI and everything looks good, so I'm thrilled about that! It's just that it was ordered because my side boob is pink and hot. My BS, who ordered it, said it will rule out a malignancy and an infection. So now he's perplexed and is sending me to his dermatologist. I think it might be related to the radiation booth I had to stand in for about a minute or two at the airport recently. The pink area is the same area that had the 6 extra boosts of radiation. I think the skin may be especially fragile there and susceptible to a dermal reaction with extra radiation. But who am I to say. Hopefully, this most excellent dermatologist I'm going to see will solve the problem once and for all. And as long as it's not a malignancy I can cope. Honestly, I was changing the whole course of my future because of this pink spot. Since my BS was dismissive of the likelihood of it being an infection, I was afraid he was fairly certain it was a malignancy. And on top of that I just quit the Tamoxifen in October so I was freaked out. Ugh, it's amazing how fast you can sink back into that dark place when something scares you again.

• DayLily15

hello, great suggestions, i spent some time today on line looking for a recliner, well gosh diggidy they all have right side handles... so little bonus splurge i think for me to a power recline.

i really like fly fishing, walking up creeks in waders is neat even if you never catch one :)

• glennie19

Go for the power recliner, DayLily!!  Park it in front of your TV and you are all set. Have a tray table next to you for snacks and drinks and the remote control,, books, laptop, phone etc.   Do you have a way to hold up the drain(s)? You can pin them to your shirt, or to a lanyard around your neck.  A male friend of mine used a nail pouch from Home Depot to hold his. It is just this little apron thing that had 3 pockets (he had 3 drains so it was perfect) and it costs like $2.    It can be uncomfortable to just let them dangle, and putting them in pants pocket is ok,, as long as you remember them when you pull your pants down!  I had a camisole from TLC that had drain pockets,,, it also had foob pockets and soft foobs which I didn't use,,, I just wanted the drain pocket.  And it opened in the front with velcro so really easy to wear. I had two of them and lived in them. They are a little pricey,,, $50.   I didn't know about the nail pouch when I had my MX done or I would have used that! My friend was able to easily hide the nail pouch under his button-down shirts, not tucked in.

• staynsane
    staynsane Member Posts: 196

HnS- So sorry to read that you have a new concern to stress over. I am thinking positive thoughts and sending them your way! I firmly believe that "not knowing" is the worst situation. Hopefully it will turn out to be a minor hiccup and quickly resolved.

• deborah2012
    deborah2012 Member Posts: 58

DayLily,

I didn't rent a recliner. To the ladies that did, did you still have to have numerous and various pillows (your fortress) with a recliner?

I had a bolster cushion and an assortment of many small pillows and a bed tray. The numerous small square pillows, rolled pillows, rectangular decorative pillows- I just wandered around my house pre-surgery and grabbed all manner of bizarre pillows. They held up my elbow and braced my body in various non-chest areas. What hurt was MOVING. You'll find the most comfortable position. I kept my bed tray in the bed beside, not across me to hold my breathing dealie they give you to inhale into, my meds,WATER, Kindle reader, food etc. I slept- a lot.

Frozen pea bags were useful as well for swelling.

I used an elastic drain minder belt with velcro tabs. I could hide it easily under street clothes. I could easily sling it around my neck for tub bathing from waist down. www.promedicsproducts.com

• beergirl63
    beergirl63 Member Posts: 13

Hi, everyone! I just got the pathology from my biopsy. I have a low-grade, local recurrence (current Dx) of the cancer whose butt I kicked 6 years ago (Stage 1 DCIS, ER+; treatment - lump with RADS and HT [Tamoxifen], followed 2 years later with TAH-BSO). I meet with my oncologist on Thursday to form a game plan. Just thought I would get on here and introduce myself. I have been reading some of the threads and have found some very helpful information.

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

Welcome, beergirl63. With a name like beergirl, you will probably get along fine here! Sorry that you are having a recurrence, that is truly sucky. There are a great bunch of gals here- as long as you don't talk about the weather!

• beergirl63
    beergirl63 Member Posts: 13

Thanks! I guess if we were going to talk about the weather, we would be somewhere else!