Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Deborah, LOVE the bird pics!  Very cool!!

Hi Odds:  YAY for making your decision.  It's not easy, but a weight is lifted once you decide.   Great photo!

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

Where are you, Debrorah 2012? I am in silver lake, between hollywood and glendale. My family of origin is all in sacramento, where I grew up. But I love los angeles! Are those hills in ojai? Or santa barbara? I want a view like that! Cool bird feeder! we want out of la- 15 yrs is enuf, and its really just pretty noisy, and I want a real garden and not just planters. And fruit trees. Maybe an avocado too.

• blownoffcourse
    blownoffcourse Member Posts: 27

Oddswinner: I felt so conflicted when trying to make that decision last summer. I went back and forth so many times. I finally did what you have planned, although I only had a UMX. I know it sounds odd, but my surgeon did such a phenomenal job that my only regret is not pursuing getting both sides done as it would be so much easier to be able to go flat sometimes. Every time any other medical professional sees my surgeon's work, they are in awe Smile. They all say it looks fantastic. She got a big kick out of it when I told her about everyone's reaction.

Right now I have no plans to ever reconstruct, but it's nice knowing the option is there.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

Deborah--that's a great series of pics!

Elimar--I'm with you, lets wait until there is real research, or a real disease present before taking drugs.Here's praying you don't progress from osteopenia to osteoporosis.And that your BFF continues to do well and gets her appetite back!

• staynsane
    staynsane Member Posts: 196

Copied off of the picture thread...

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

Staynsane, ROTFL! I always wondered why ice cream isn't the wonder cure.

Elimar, Regarding your thoughts on survival of the fittest and 100 yrs ago.... I don't tie it to BC at all... 100 years ago I would have died in childbirth because my huge baby wanted to stay inside. ;-)

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

eli, yes I am getting those calls about helping out BC patients pay their bills. The last time I was in a crummy mood waiting for the doc to call about latest biopsy results and was not so pleasant to the caller. I doubt that I will have discouraged her tho. I am not so inclined to believe them. I had my veteran son answer the call from a helping veterans fund request call and the guy got totally defensive and could not answer any of my sons questions. So I just thank God for caller id. Because he still calls me too, they act all friendly and ask for me by name, it's all bull....

I am a little older than middle age and have complete osteoporosis in my spine and hip. Because I did not have a DEXA scan before I started Arimidex (only one in 2006) they won't attribute it to the drug, but I was switched to Tamoxifen. Now after being on tami for a couple of years it has gotten worse and so now I am taking Fosomax also. But I also just had an endremetrial biopsy for thickening in the uterus. My GYN said she would give the okay to my onc to start up the tamoxifen again. I don't see my onc until August I think I'll take some time off. It seems to me we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Before BC I took no medications.

Lol about the husband speak. My DS came to "help" me out after my latest procedure. Now he has the "man flu" (a cold) He is complaining all the time. I do not remind him about how I was a single mother and never had a day off for 18 years. It is his birthday this Sat. wants to know what we are going to do? Lol

Oddly, good for you for making a decision. Don't wear yourself out before surgery.

• Bunchie56
    Bunchie56 Member Posts: 1

It will be 10 years in November. I will meet with a surgeon this week. It appears to be non invasvive DICS - same breast as before. I am not angry, or mad but I am feeling very disappointed. Feeling kind of sad - I am divorced - just turned 59 - was ready to start dating again - now I am not. I know it could be worse but it doesn't help at this moment

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587

Nativemainer sorry for my slow reply I have been away :) 10 years isn't standard of care and it has nothing to do with staging. In my case it is because I am on zoladex and results from the SOFT trials. I am premenopausal hence zoladex to shut ovaries. I am also in Australia.

• deborah2012
    deborah2012 Member Posts: 58

Hi All,

Glad you enjoyed the pix. Must I have yet another common SE with this group? I had to have an IV bag of Reclast a couple of years ago because the Anastrozole wrecked my bones. I was hair under osteoporosis. My last bone density showed significant improvement.

Glaucoma anyone? Yup. I developed that as a SE from Anastrozole. I use daily RX eye drops.

Someone sent me a funny email the other day with some figures of speech that have surprising endings. Apparently there's a term for them called "paraprosdokians" (it's Greek to me). Hereare a few:

"If there's a will, I want to be in it".

"I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not so sure".

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on my list". (Naturally, I'm thinking of amending that to be something like "Oh honey, the last thing I want to do is annoy you about washing off the solarium, but it's still on my list".)

"If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong".

"I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you".

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

Deb, I like some of those sayings, now if I could remember them I would actually be able to use one or two.

I forgot to mention that I liked your blue jay pics also. Birds are very entertaining. Every morning I have to do my chores. Feed the dog, fill all the bird feeders, wash out the bird baths, water the plants and then play with the dog with the hose. She likes to chase water. I also have lots of baby squirrels at my feeders this time of year (and the fledgling birds are so cute with the momma feeding them) So I put feed out for them too. Who has time to work even if I had any energy?

bunchie, yeah that kinda sad feeling. I know it well. It just has to be gotten through to get to the other side. Remember 60 is the new 40 or some such bull.......

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Deborah, I love those!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Yes, particularly, if I agreed with you we'd both be wrong. I need to try to committ that to memory.

1st day of new job down. Only 1824 to go! Headphones

• nativemainer

Those are great sayings! Talk about surprise endings!

One day down, it's a start, unless you are going up stairs.

• kris1114
    kris1114 Member Posts: 7

Hello. I'm Kristin and I am 39 going on 40. I have/had stage 2B ER/PR strong + HER2 - Grade 3- 8.6 cm tumor no lymph node involvement. KI67- (60 something, I forget, can't find paperwork) Oncotype score-15 (thank goodness) I have been through 4 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan and 30 radiation treatments. I have 3 left.

Next stop is the dreaded hormone treatment. Tamoxifen was not recommended due to history of blood clots.

I have osteopenia in my spine.

Recommended for me is Aromasin and Zoladex (Doc says this is a more effective route anyways, but more aggressive) as well as bone infusions to hopefully prevent oseoporosis.

My question. I have had a partial hysterectomy already. I have 1 child and cannot have more. My MO does not recommend removing the ovaries.

Won't the chemical menopause stop and your body return to normal once drugs are ceased? So, 5-10 years treatment and my Mom went through natural menopause at 47. I was following all the same trends as her before I had my uterus removed due to fibroids. Doesn't this mean I will go through menopause AGAIN?

I will talk to my doctor at length before starting treatment, but I thought some of you nice ladies could share your stories?

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Hello, kris1114! Since you have your ovaries, is there an actual ovarian suppression drug planned? I thought Aromasin was in the aromatase inhibitor group, for menopausal women? Hopefully some other ladies here will refresh my memory and clear things up. Yes, unless you go through natural menopause during the hormonal treatment, you may still have that to look forward to after you finish up with your anti-hormonal drugs some years down the road. The fun just never ends! I hope you fared well with the radiation and are not too "extra crispy."

Please tell us how your tumor came to be that big. Did it grow rapidly, as a Grade 3 might? I am kind of surprised that one that large had not branched out into the nodes. That seems very lucky!

• kris1114

I don't know how it came to be that large. I am very lucky it was not in the lymph nodes AND my Onco type test score came back low. I do know that there was a lot of in situ mixed in there. I believe 2.7 cm was invasive including the nerves and the rest ductal and lobular in situ.

The SOFT trial. Aromasin and Zoladex are being recommended now to pre menopausal women with more aggressive cases.* I THINK *. I am confused and researching like crazy. I just wonder why if I am not to have more children and close enough to natural menopause esp. since my Mom went early and I was following the same path with crazy periods and pain, why not take the ovaries so it is not a 10-15 yr journey?

They will check my estrodial levels on my next visit (July 31st). I have not had them checked since before chemo.

I have 3 radiation treatments left. It is painful and crispy (weeping and bleeding), but it is no worse than having a severe sunburn. The fatigue and lack of energy is worse.

Kristin

• kris1114

Oh, and they THOUGHT it was 2.7 cm originally via mammo and ultrasound. MRI proved differently. Also, there was a fibroadenoma in the left breast that NOTHING but MRI showed. I had the left removed due to high risk with Lobular in situ cancer in the right breast. Please ladies, be diligent. Mammo's can and do miss things.

• treelilac
    treelilac Member Posts: 138

I think Zoladex is for ovary suppression. :)

• Tomboy

I am surprised they gave you chemo with such a low oncotype score, especially since you were Her2 neg, and no nodes involved? Maybe cause it was a grade 3? Also, I am surprised he would start with Aromasin, as it permanently blocks the receptors and doctors like to start with Arimidex so much nowadays. Usually, Aromasin is used in combo with afinitor, after progression. Zoladex I thought was not to be used in women with osteopoenia.. hmmm. Were you saying you went thru menopause when you had your uterus removed? You kept your ovaries, right? Or you are saying you went through meno during chemo? Now I am confused!!

• Tomboy

Elimar: love love love the synchronized water -skiing! I love anything synchronized! it's just SO not normal!! I was laughing with my boymanfriend the other day, the way we do synchronized smoking: one of us will step outside to smoke, and the other one will follow. HA! terrible

• PoppyK

The Zoladex is for ovary suppression. Aromasin (exemestane) is the AI used along with Zoladex. This is the protocol I was going to use before I found out my ovaries surrendered to all of the drugs.

Treatment protocols are changing as new studies are completed. This is the most current info according to my MO.

I discussed having my ovaries removed with my MO, GP and GYN. It is not standard treatment. But if you can convince the GYN, I say go for it. It was something I was going to discuss with my Gyn, but I found out my chemopause is permanent. My planned argument was that I didn't want to take Zoladex for years.

Sorry about the rads SE. Mine were really bad, too. Looked like a crispy piece of chicken.

• elimar

I apologize for my ignorance about Zolodex (and also for my laziness not to have just Googled it before posting my post.) Some of these drug combos are a real balancing act, that is for sure. The important thing k-114, is that you do fire off your questions and get satisfactory answers before it all begins. We deserve to know what is being done to our bodies, and I think I can speak for 100% of ladies on this thread to say that we all prefer the info. up front. Even if the choices are hard to make, we need to have full disclosure of the info. to make good decisions for ourselves. I applaud you for researching on your own, just remember...all websites are not created equally. Try and stick to the most reputable ones. On an up-note, I think you will be surprised that, once rads have ended, your skin will start healing within just a few days, even tho' the residual "tan" can linger for months.

Tomboy, I was thinking the chemo given was due to Grade 3 and her young age. Probably as "insurance" chemo.

• PoppyK

Elimar, It's impossible to stay up to date on everything! And everyone's options/situation are so different. I think you do a wonderful job advising and supporting! I agree with all you said above, especially about having all the info up front so we can make informed decisions.

• elimar

Zolodex, Zometa, Xeloda... if I get too wound up trying to remember them all, I will end up on Xanax! Winking

• kris1114

Hi again! So I was given Chemo due to young (ish) age, & huge tumor with aggressive properties. They were not going to do the onco test until I pushed for it. Chemo was considered mandatory.

Today I met w/ GYN due to prolapse. She said she was in agreement to remove ovaries at the same time as prolapse surgery.

She is the 2nd Doc that agreed. 1st Oncologist before my 2nd opinion said yes too. Current Oncologist and previous GYN said no. 50/50.

• MsTori
    MsTori Member Posts: 298

please second, third and fourth guess the decision for a bilateral TRAM flap. I choose that in 2012, and although a few do well, very many do not. The risk of hernia formation later on is 40%. I didn't know that going into it. Long story short, I was bamboozled. I trusted my former PS so much. He left out a lot.Private message me if you would like. I catch a lot of flack, but to date, greater than 10 women have contacted me for help after the TRAM Flap. Just look for it on the boards here. Bulge after TRAM Flap.

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587

kris114. I was put on zoladex and Aromasin which is protocol from latest SOFT trials. I didnt tolerate Aromasin so am on Arimidex now. I would prefer my ovaries out because getting to the doctors every four weeks for zoladex implant is a real hassle for me to fit around work. After 5 years they will test to see if I have gone into permanent menopause but will probably have not :(

• nativemainer

Kristin--I did lupron (equivalent to Zoladex) /arimedex, lived with the hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms, and then started natural menopause a year or so after finishing.For me the natural menopausal symptoms (primarily hot flashes) are MUCH less intense, MUCH less frequent, by comparison almost unnoticeable.My MO told me that I was unusual when the lupron didn't put me into menopause permanently after the first year.(Most women getting this kind of treatment are put into permanent menopause and only have to do the trip once, but that's not guaranteed.) And I was diagnosed at 48, and the women in my family are mostly done with menopause by 45, and I hadn't even started.So, to answer your question about doing menopause AGAIN,probably not, but it's possible.The research does show the AI route to be a bit more effective at preventing recurrence/mets than tammy, but the advantage is pretty small, as I recall.I'll see if I can find the research reports.

• kris1114

I did not opt for reconstruction. Afraid of failure and recurrence being missed.

I may opt for ovary removal as a done deal to be certain there will be no 2 menopauses.

The doc that is doing my prolapse surgery is in agreement with me.