Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

Yaaaaa for benign, macatac!

Excellent job, Eph!

N'Mainer, I know I know. I would rather it was my house, at least i wouldn't have to leave it! I just generally dislike having to hang out while they are doing the estimate, or some of the smaller stuff. And the $. Guess its good if that's all I have to whine about.... oh yeah, but I DO have other things to whine about, but i think you all have heard it from me before. What the heck is going on with the stock market?

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

Greece and China. Two big problems.

My DH could explain it all; it's his job. And he's in the Sierras with the scouts!

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

Yes, but really it shouldn't have that much of an affect on all sectors, especially tech and health. Anyway, I always just thought the stock market was the real gamblers game. Except several years ago, I invested in netflix, and amazon. at around 25 each. Sadly, I was living on not much money. But I did sell them at a profit, but both those stocks are worth hundreds of dollars! Yikes! If if if i didn't need to sell them, I woulda had a LOT! oh well

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,313

Don't forget oil. Just have to throw that in since our Houston papers are full of doom & gloom with the sliding prices effecting the whole market.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

Tomboy--yeah, we do whine about upkeep of our stuff, but it is good to have the stuff to up keep!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Anybody been getting calls for charitable donations to BC patients? Or maybe it was just for screenings for women who cannot afford them. Hard to feel philanthropic (or even fully listen apparently!) when my own bills are still rolling in. The caller did not like when I said, "Hey, can I get some of that money?"

• staynsane
    staynsane Member Posts: 196

Hi Y'all. It's been ages since I've posted, but want to congratulate Eph on the new job! I know there were some stressful times, and it's great to hear that you are so excited about your new position. That (ahem) "experience" is a valued commodity. And I think employers are finally starting to realize that. I joined the company I'm with now 3 1/2 years ago (two months before I got my cancer diagnosis) and it was a great ride until April when my entire division was let go except for me. I was reassigned to take on a new role with a different focus, and I hate it! Instead of meeting people face-to-face I spend a lot of time looking at computer screens doing WebEx meetings. Yuck!

In April I applied for a highly lucrative job, and started doubting that I would hear back. Then I got a phone interview, and another. Then a face-to-face. And on Monday flew to Kentucky for a final round interview. Aced it, and all the "buying signals" were there. I expect to get an offer this Monday (kind of like the best Christmas present ever). During my interview it was mentioned that they need someone experienced and capable of working independently, and I have done that for many years. Refreshing that being "older" does not eliminate me from the candidate pool. The job market has definitely changed over the last several years, with more opportunities and a need for "seasoned" workers. So if you are doubting yourself, stop it and get out there!

For cancer-related news my onc suggested that I start Arimidex (been on Tam for 3 years now) and prescribed it since I am FINALLY menopausal (never thought I'd be eager for that to happen). I asked if I should take a bone density test (duh, but I had to ask) which was done. I'm osteopenic. Great... My onc suggested I could add Fosamax to the Arimidex, or stay on Tam. I reordered Tam and will be starting vitamin D3, K2, magnesium and calcium in order to help my poor bones along. And I will insist on another bone density test in a year or so to evaluate the results. Since Tam is supposed to strengthen bones (and yet mine have suffered), the idea of switching to something known to weaken them does not make sense to me.

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

staynsane:   I to am staying on Tamoxifen, funny my bone density test showed osteopenia in left hip two years in a row, and I just had a left hip replacement in May bone to bone.  Wonder if Tamoxifen accelerates arthritis???

• nativemainer

I'm not getting the calls soliciting money for bc, but I am getting lots and lots of e-mail and snail-mail requests.

Staynsane--I think I'd stay with the tammy, too, with the bones already being less than robust!

• staynsane

Loral and Native- I suspect that most older women probably have osteopenia, that it likely comes with the territory of being an "older" woman. Okay, something else to Google... But I never suspected that I, a tall, large boned gal with northern European roots would have bone issues. But then I never considered that I would get cancer, either...

I've read about the common complaints of joint pain (for both Tam and Arimidex) and that many women believe their arthritis developed as a result of taking drugs. But arthritis could also be a factor in aging, so who knows?

Native, I see that you were on Arimidex. Are you still on it? Were you also taking Fosamax or something similar? What's the status of your bones?

• staynsane

The following is a great article that is easy to understand and puts osteopenia/osteoporosis in perspective. Hope the link works...

http://www.dslrf.org/mwh/content.asp?L2=2&L3=1&SID=261

• PoppyK

Thanks Staynsane! I'll have to check it out.

I'm now 50 and chemo threw me into menopause for good. My first bone scan showed osteopenia in my neck. I'm on letrozole, and my MO gave me the option of Fosamax. She said some women progress quickly from osteopenia to osteoporosis, others don't. They don't know why this happens or how to predict who it will happen to. BTW, I went with the Fosamax.

• elimar

I read it a few years back, but I believe Tamox. only stopped 4% of bone loss, and then when you do go off Tamox., the loss is accelerated. I could very easily be wrong on this, not completely sure anymore.

I, too, was told I was osteopenic. Unfortunately, calcium has upset my stomach ever since chemo, so if I want to take it, I have to take stomach (hydrocloric) acid supplements.

Don't really like living the pill on top of pill lifestyle so I'm not too regular about taking the calcium. Probably more bone less next density scan. Wah!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,313

testing - I haven't been able to 'submit' on any threads. Hope this works.

• movingsoccermom
    movingsoccermom Member Posts: 164

The largely silent concern for me remains Russia, and their willingness to take what they want and continually challenge borders and NATO. Ukraine is a scary situation.

• PoppyK

Elimar, I don't like to take pills either. Amazing how cancer makes us do stuff we don't want to do. ;-) I've read that the supplements help some, but not others. No way to tell who will benefit. Getting Ca from food seems the better option.

BTW, I love your Cyclone picture and the line: If you think BC is like a roller coaster ride, then you've not ridden any of the great coasters!

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Hi ladies! I'm having the Tamoxifen/AI debate going on with my MO at the moment, too. Today I picked up the prescription she gave me for Femara. But since I lost bone density in my spine while on Tamoxifen I really don't know about taking it. Currently, my spine is at 0. I thought you were supposed to strengthen your bones if you were postmenopausal while taking Tamoxifen. And I don't understand your post about 4% bone loss, Elimar. In women that were going to have bone loss anyway, Tamoxifen stopped it for 4% of them?

I had spinal X-rays recently, and they showed extensive arthritis in my spine. So yes, Loral, I DO think the Tamoxifen caused the arthritis. No arthritis anywhere else and this doesn't seem like a natural progression.

Last fall I noticed I had a broken bone jutting out of my middle finger. Seems like I'm always bouncing off walls so I have no idea when I must have slammed it against something. But I showed it to my MO and asked "how did this happen while on Tamoxifen?" The question was actually part of my long list of reasons why I was quitting Tamoxifen after 3 years, 10 months. But her face looked kind of dumbstruck. And when she prescribed the Femara last visit a few weeks ago I asked about the loss of bone density in my spine and she said, "Well, if you get osteoporosis we'll just put you on Zometa." Uhh, no. My teeth aren't particularly care-free. And it would be just my luck to develop ONJ. The spinal and sacrum pains continue, but I have clean scans and good tumor markers. I really don't know what to do at this point. Seems like BC patients always have to choose between bad and worse.

Eph, I'm so happy for you getting the job you wanted! Haha, spell check changed your name to Eh. Eh, Elmira and Moline. Well, while modern technology can be as aggravating as a car (sorry about your car troubles, Tomboy), at least it can be mildly amusing sometimes. I don't think my car is very amusing. I'm sure you're not amused, Tomboy!

I've always thought I would like to be a 911 operator. The police headquarters are right around the corner from me. If they're located there, I might apply sometime. Things have to be convenient at this age!

• Oddswinner
    Oddswinner Member Posts: 13

Just got back from plastic surgeon yesterday. I have a bi-lateral mastectomy on July 20th and was so unsure of what to do, Do I want the pain of longer surgery, and filling foobs w/ saline, go through Rads & possibly burn the expanders, or better yet tear my 59 year old skin. Do I wait, how will I feel with no boobs. I did not know this would be an ginormous decision. Hubby didn't understand, said he'd love me no matter what I decided, I explained to him it would be like having your Balls cut off! He understood Singing.

So through research and asking my TNBC group for all the pros and cons I have come up with a plan that I think works the best! I am having the Bi-lateral now. Waiting until all chemo & rads are done and healed, then I can have a look of what it's like not to have boobs at all and if I decide I want my breast back I will go in for a tram flap, the bonus will be loosing that "baby" fat acquired from my wonderful children along with gray hair, etc Winking.

Although, it's still the scariest thing I've ever done in my life, I think it's the best thing I've ever thought through. Motto: staying in each moment, taking one step, one day at a time.

• nativemainer

Staynsane--I was on tammy for a few months, had absolutely NO side effects from the drug and some reasons to expect that the drug was not working, so I switched to lupron (to shut down my ovaries) and arimidex. I did not get tested for bone density until about a year into arimidex, and the result was that may bones were consistent with a woman 5 years younger.Had a bone density follow up test just before finishing arimidex, never got the results (not in the computer at the time of my last visit, they promised to find the report and call me, but I never heard anything).The doc said good bones is probably the only benefit of being obese most of my adult life.I finished arimidex in 2013.About a year later I started natural menopause, annoying but MUCH easier than 5 years of arimidex hot flashes, joint pain, etc.I also had arthrtiis in my knees before bc came alone, it was MUCH worse during arimidex time, is much better now.Not sure if those drug cause arthritis, but it sure makes it feel worse!Never had a bone density check after treatment, but I'm still obese and have no reason to suspect any issues.I've also done some reading, and my personal opinion is that "osteopenia" is a generally meaningless term--there is no real disease or condition, it's a manipulation of bone density test readings come up with by pharmaceutical companies to increase the number of people who will "qualify" for expensive drugs like fosamax.But that is just my personal opinion.

Oddswinner--Congrats for working your way through the mountain of info and finding a path that works for you!There really is no one correct way to go from diagnosis through treatment.Finding your unique path is a huge step forward!Good for you!

• staynsane

Oddswinner- Congrats on being confident in your decision! Now made, I'm sure a huge burden has been lifted, and while you have the stress of waiting for surgery, your game plan is in place. I pray your surgery goes without a hitch. So wise to take one step at a time. My mind got too "out there" in the beginning and that caused a lot of sleepless nights. Once I had done research and determined my plan, I was able to relax more.

Yes, I agree with all those who don't want to be livin' the pill poppin' lifestyle. But I am choosing to pop the pills that will help my bones (and hopefully my overall health), not the scarier ones with potentially devastating side effects. The article on osteoporosis that I linked above really put things in perspective for me. So much so that I considered not taking vitamin supplements at all (I currently take a daily multiple and Dim Plus, and will add the bone strengtheners) and immediately felt good about my decision NOT to go with Arimidex and Fosamax. I'm going to stay on Tam for two more years and hopefully put all BC drugs behind me at that point. It is so true that the decisions that have to be made are personal, and there is no single "perfect course" of treatment.

• deborah2012
    deborah2012 Member Posts: 58

Hi ladies,

Thoroughly am enjoying your posts! Poppy K and Elimar- that's it- an I Love Lucy guest appearance on the Seinfeld show.

I got my CA15-3 (15) and CA27-29 (22) results. I'm below normal. That's good. I was surprised I did have double digits, but then I read up on the tests and I'm unsure of their veracity. I speak with my GP at the end of this month. I'm guessing maybe once a year or twice I'll have the tests to see it they rise. I believe previous awesome women on this thread said it's the trend that bears watching.

Just saw Serena Williams win Wimbledon. Very entertaining. Seeing Federer and Rafa losing recently, it's fun to still have a legend at high performance. Her competitor can obviously beat her and likely will someday.

Congratulations on the job front developments! Best of luck.

I just finished reading a book called Sapiens. Very enjoyable and thought provoking. It's an evolutionary biology/cultural anthropology work. I'm going to send a second post momentarily that shows my wacky birding habits.

• deborah2012

I love birds. My house has a wrap around deck that is literally in tree canopy level- oak trees. I have about 15 bird feeders going and it's perpetual motion.

I'm going to try to upload three photos of a bird puzzle I made. I wanted to see if the scrub jays could be taught and/or solve on their how to obtain a whole peanut that required them to pull on a ribbon to open a drop door to access the peanut. I had seen a Nature PBS show on crows.

They solved it. I added a second inner door which made it a two-step solution. They were confused at first by the second drop door- it was comical to have them just look at it and then master it. I watched them observe the bird that solved the puzzle and they acquired the skill. I see the next generation ( fledgling) has learned it as well.

Step #1 What's this contraption? Deborah's been calling to me and fussing with this.

• deborah2012

Step #2 I can do this.

• deborah2012

Step #3 Ahhhhh, the peanut awaits. A door opens.

• deborah2012

Step #4 I got it! Now, I'll turn and smile for the photo op and smile directly at the camera. Then I'll stuff the peanut into Deborah's wood shingle roof for later. Because I know how special that makes her feel having to explain why she has a plethora of whole peanuts in her shingles when the roof gets maintenance treatment.

• PoppyK

Oddswinner, I know several women who are flat and free and love it!

Deborah, That is amazing! I saw the show on crows, too. Such clever creatures. Those scrub jays are quiet resourceful! Your commentary with the pics put a well needed smile on my face!

• deborah2012

Poppy K, I'd like to send you a private message, as I see you're in California, too. I believe you said some of the California ladies on this thread get together periodically? I can't remember how to PM. Do you send me one first? I need remedial PM training. Must be the history of AIs and impaired function.

That made me smile to know you saw the show, too. I'm reading a science book called "Bird Sense" about the abilities of various birds and how they've evolved their senses and how humans have tested and measured many of their characteristics.

• PoppyK

To send a pm, click on the name of the person. It will take you to their profile. Click the button labeled "message"... I think. I can't remember how the button is labeled, but it will be obvious. There are other ways to pm, but this one is easy.

• elimar

PoppyK, Yeah, I hate to see the whole coaster experience maligned by that crappy cancer reference.

HnS, Sorry...to clarify: I was thinking that I had read that women on Tamox. numerically had 4% denser bones that the general pop., but then when studied after coming off Tamox. they dropped right back down to the same levels as other post-menopausal women. Therefore, Tamox. might just postpone the inevitable; not have a lasting effect. I am not current on the studies about that, so it's probably worth a Google (Bing) to read the latest findings. Now, broken middle finger you say? How on Earth to get by without that function? Mwahahaha!

Oddsy, You look summer-gorgeous! Who'd have ever thought we would have to make these kinds of decisions, but look what life throws at us? Agree with HnS that the choices are never exactly in the "good" category, but we have to make due with what we can best tolerate both mentally and physically. I must say I was LOLROFPIP (that's the normal with peeing in pants added) at your mastery of "Husband-speak!!!"

Always good to hear from you SnS and thanks for the link!

And thanks for Pavlovian bird pics Deb2012. I like the birds too. I've had one bird make her nest in my yard waste trash can a few years in a row now. It was sad this year when two failed to get up and out the exit hole quick enough. I think after the first two did get out, the mom moved on with them and just left the last two behind. I really was not checking them daily, but if I had intervened then the whole nature thing about survival of the fittest wouldn't work. (On the other hand, do any of you just sit and think this: "If it were 100 years ago, I would be dead by now." That thought crosses my mind a lot.)

Oh, yeah...NM, I don't get too hung up with the osteopenia label either. I think you are right that carrying around some extra weight probably does keep a certain density to the bones. I already have two strikes against me being slender and having had a mom with a stooped back, but I cannot bring myself to get on any prescription med prevention at this point. I'll probably end up a stubborn old hunchback! (And I am only one and a half adjectives away from that right now.)

------------------------------

Had a nice visit when my Stage IV BFF dropped in this week. She's on Xeloda and it is already messing with her GI tract. She's at the "no food looks good" phase, but otherwise doing o.k. and it will be some weeks before we know how effective it is on her bone lesions. Got my fingers crossed for her. (Momine, I checked and her BC was/is lobular.)

• deborah2012

Staynsane, Were you part of the Calfornia group that got together, too? Please private message me. I'm coastal central CA. but have family in So. Cal and No. Cal.

Oddswinner, welcome to the fun bunch. I appreciate your decision making exercise.

I have a special free gift I send to ladies in your situation. It's not selling anything. It's a kind gesture. If interested, please private message me and I'll get it to you. I truly think that we women in this situation merit a special gift given our situation. If you've too much on your mind, no worries. Just know that we watch out for our fellow travelers. Your surgery is fast approaching. You'll be relieved when it's over. Take care.