Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• FriendGwen
    FriendGwen Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2012

Thirty minutes of weights and lunges with my PT. 30 minutes of elliptical while watching the news of the shooting. It doesn't get any worse than this.

• luvlulu
    luvlulu Member Posts: 163
    edited December 2012

Such heartbreaking news.  Makes our own issues seem so trivial.

Taking a rest day today and trying not to feel guilty about it.  I feel like my body needs it even though I've been stuffing my face with reckless abandon.

Luv to all . . .Pray for peace, people everywhereCry

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited December 2012

Walked on the treadmill for an hour & did 15 minutes of abs. I'm dreading school on Monday, how do you reassure kids that they are safe, when clearly they are not.  

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited December 2012

Slept a lot yesterday, did maybe 20 minutes of hooping practice indoors.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2012

I had great intentions, but those were yesterday.  Awoke with SOMETHING, which I think must be the tummy crud going around.  Plus a headache.  Plus, all I want to do is sleep.

I dug out my super-warm robe which is a wool-cashmere blend (one of my resale finds), so like wearing a blanket.

Fortunately, no "must do's" for today.  I did quite a bit of walking yesterday and Thursday, ~3 miles each day.

Still in shock from the news.  I have cycled through Newtown as not that far from where I used to live.  I even know where the I84 exit is.  One of those quaint, semi-rural New England towns.

Poor people, and so senseless.  One of the things I think about is how lucky I was growing up.  There was someone in my class who I think had the same violent tendencies.  Weird, nerdy, bright kid, and a loner.  There was more to this story, but I am so glad that he never acted out.  Because we could have been the class. - Claire

• ruthbru
    edited December 2012

Anybody could have been in that class, that is the saddest part.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited December 2012

Such heartbreak, absolutely unbelievable, Ruth I do not envy you or any teacher monday is going to be a hard one for all of you.

Was very hard to get out and go to the gym this morning as it was brrrrrr cold but ended up doing a great Body Combat class.  Ruth do you have Big Lots in your town, almost texted you but of course you know me my phone was in the car - was in Big Lots tonight and they had Firm, Giam and Jillian Michaels DVDs for $3.00

• _Ann_
    _Ann_ Member Posts: 448
    edited December 2012

About a forty-five minute walk tonight.

Ruth, wishing you and your students well for next week. 

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,857
    edited December 2012

We talked about this last night a little bit with DD and focused on the brave teachers.

Went for Zumba yesterday. Left my bike at the gym because there was no room for all my Christmas shopping. Had to lug the heavy bags home.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited December 2012

Ruth, good luck to you (and teachers everywhere) and students/parents everywhere.

I heard the motive was jealousy: he thought his mom loved her students more than him.

We had screwed-up people in my school too but times were different.  No internet.

No assault weapons.  Better sense of community.  Honor meant something then.  Sealed

Finished Christmas shopping today, will pack goodie boxes Sun. for DH to mail Mon.

Rainy & cold so hit the track & walked an hour, logged 7.48 km = 4.65 mi for the day.

One more day on-line then off to FL for ten days w/o internet access.  Will miss y'all!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited December 2012

"I heard the motive was jealousy: he thought his mom loved her students more than him."

That was what I thought, as soon as I heard what happened. It is exactly the way my schizophrenic brother would think. I know this guy was not DXed with schiz, but I have to wonder, because he fits the profile a little too well.

• LuvLulu07
    LuvLulu07 Member Posts: 596
    edited December 2012

45 minutes of boxing DVD, feeling better about Xmas cookie binges.  

cheryl  Jealous of exercise DVD's for $3!     badger  Safe travels - have fun in FL.   ruth  ((hugs))   

It's a cool, rainy day - off to see Argo this afternoon with DH.  

Oh what a heartbreaking tragic event in CT.  Why are there so many angry young men?  

• claire_in_seattle
    edited December 2012

Good morning!

Feeling a lot livelier this morning, so back to at least a short ride today.  Found this tip, so thought I would share.  From a Spark article on how to avoid eating pitfalls.  One I wouldn't necessarily think of, but certainly helpful with all the holiday temptations around.

7. Pack in the protein.
    Studies show that protein plays a key role in regulating food intake and appetite; people who consistently consume protein regain less weight after a significant weight loss, too. Protein helps increase feelings of fullness because it takes longer to digest. When you skip protein in your meals and snacks, those pesky hunger pangs might encourage overeating! So get into the habit of consuming protein at each meal and snack. ACTION TIP: Stick to lean sources of protein: Beans, hummus, egg whites, lean meats, and low-fat dairy products (cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, and milk) can all give you muscle-building proteins without added fat.

Cycling as x-country trails aren't open yet.  Have things to get wrapped up so out the door tomorrow.  Plus, I still need to make puddings which will be this week. - Claire

• luvlulu
    edited December 2012

Had a nice run - the usual 8 miler - and went to the gym for shoulders.  Cooking a roast beef dinner this afternoon - all my men will be here (hubby and 3 grown, single sons).  Always enjoy when we're together.  My youngest mentioned yesterday that he might consider training for a spring half-marathon with me.  Would love that.  It would be great bonding time but somehow I can't imagine him meeting me at 5 AM.  Well.....maybe we can do long Sunday runs together, I would compromise and go a little later.

Prayers for all those little angels and their families, I can't get them out of my mind.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited December 2012

Errands N Scuplt for me this weekend - stitches come out tomorrow so I can get more active after that.

Like all of us, I cannot comprehend what happened in Connecticut.  They were just babies.  How can someone do that?  There are no answers.

• FriendGwen
    FriendGwen Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2012

Ten days post first chemo and I went on a two mile run! It wasn't much distance wise but I had intended only to walk but ended up running! It felt so empowering. I went with my husband who took a picture of me sporting my new pixie cut. I texted it to some of my biggest supporters saying this is what ten days post chemo looks like. :)

• Momine
    edited December 2012

Gwen, good for you. I think it is really key not to assume that you can't. When it turns out that you are too tired or whatever, you can stop, but no reason to start with the idea that you can't do XYZ. 

Of course, there were many, many things I found completely impossible to do during chemo: vacuuming, mopping, toilet scrubbing, ironing! ...

• movetomaui
    movetomaui Member Posts: 67
    edited December 2012

So inspiring Gwen!  You go girl!

• luvlulu
    edited December 2012

Gwen, you're awesome!  Keep going, stay strong!!!

• ruthbru
    edited December 2012

30 minutes on the treadmill in the morning & 30 'Trim Walk' this afternoon.

I hired a cleaning lady during chemo & I still have her....don't want to risk a relapse Wink.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited December 2012

Thanks for the laugh, Ruth.  I remember cleaning during chemo.  But I have a small place.  I cleaned on Friday which I now realize explains why I got a visit from the Creeping Crud (tummy version) yesterday.

Anyway the ride was extremely bracing.  I went, as not quite cold enough to be icy, not quite windy enough to be that bad, and not quite that rainy enough to be sidewise rain.  20 miles was more than enough.

Stopped in at glassybaby on the way back and was shivering (as in knocking knees) while waiting for them to ring me up.  I wrapped presents following a long hot bath.

Highlight of my ride was getting to see a bald eagle up close.  Showed it to a family who were also out braving the elements.  First time the 8 year old had seen one.

The ducks looked happy too, and I saw thousands of Canada geese in the sky.

Speaking of Christmas presents, I am trying a Vermont wine with my salmon tonight.  There are new grape varieties that can take the cold weather.  Promise a report.  I chatted this evening with an old NYC area friend who was happily having a glass of the red I sent her.  Over the moon with delight.

Wishing everyone a wonderful week. - Claire

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited December 2012

Today is my bday so I ate and ate and ate and then I had cake. Weigh in tomrrow is not going to be pretty.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited December 2012

Body Step class today, it was hard to get out of bed as it is cold and rainy here but last night the instructor had sent me a message saying she was doing some of the old stuff I like and it turned out to be fun.

Claire how exciting to see an eagle, Badger you don't need to have your DH go to the post office you can just do it all online and print the label on a piece of white paper, the post office website is very easy to navigate. I wrapped presents and I'm trying to curl ribbon but I have an "assistant" (a very large ginger cat) and he thinks I'm playing with him so it's a bit difficult.

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,426
    edited December 2012

Happy Birthday Carrol!

Off to the gym for body step and  pilates classes.
    Have a keep calm and carry on Monday (((Everyone)))!

• Momine
    edited December 2012

Ruth, I have taken the exact same precaution ;)

• movetomaui
    edited December 2012

Happy Monday everyone!  Hope you all have an awesome week! 

Happy Birthday Carrol!

• ruthbru
    edited December 2012

Happy Birthday, Carol! Calories consumed on one's birthday don't count!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited December 2012

Ruth - I take the same precautions against relapse - I will give up food before I give up the cleaning crew!  And Happy Birthday, Carrol - and calories eaten on your b-day absolutely don't count.  Claire - cool on seeing the bald eagle. 

Leaving in half an hour to get the stitches out - hooray!  I think I posted here that several weeks ago I entered the lottery for a spot in the Nike Women's Half Marathon to be run in April in DC.  I never thought I'd get in.  WRONG!!  I was notified last week that my entry was accepted. Yikes!!  I'm not sure if I'm thrilled or terrified, but I do know I have a lot of training to do to get ready for this thing.  I think my main incentive is that all finishers get a specially made Tiffany necklace.  I've always wanted a piece of jewelry from Tiffany, so here's my chance.  I guess my new motto is:  Will Run For Bling!  This is going to be an interesting winter and spring . . .

• movetomaui
    edited December 2012

Badger ... congrats on your entry into the Half Marathon in DC!  I would run for Tiffany bling too!  That's awesome!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited December 2012

Happy belated Carrol!  Congrats on the half marathon entry, Mary.  Fortunately, you have more than enough time to train for this.

Wild wind out there as predicted.  Will be day of a lot of walking....to the post office with packages, and then to the Market for wine (presents), some chocolate covered cherries (another present) and suet for puddings.  Hopefully, I will need to stop at the bank as well (monies owed for consulting work).

Plus, I need to give my Subaru, Rexxie, a bit of love.  So off to the dealership for an oil change.  Good idea before hitting the trails next week.

Talk to all of you lovely ladies later. - Claire