Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage II w/Lymph Node Involvement

Options

Comments

• LittleBungle
    LittleBungle Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi everyone 👋

Loved reading some of your stories. I’m part way through treatment, due to start hormone therapy and radiotherapy soon. Have had surgery and chemo (just finished!)

I’ve noticed quite a bit of back pain over the past 4-6 eels feels like I’ve bashed the rib area of my back below my shoulder. V tender but no bruise or similar. I called my breast care nurse this morning and after she spoke to my surgeon they promptly booked me in for a bone scan on Tuesday!! Am worried now - and I was worried before! Am hoping and praying it’s nothing. After all surely I can’t have developed a bone mets already- can I?? I had a previous bone scan back in Sept 2020 before my surgery and all good and clear!! Could chemo and mastectomy/lymph node removal be the cause of this pain? Is it age related?? I’m 47 and before all this would have said a young 47 😂😂 not so sure now

• Emily21
    Emily21 Member Posts: 67
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi, oncotype 51,3 pos nodes. Just finished treatment, my ribs are sore too, I'm presuming my radiotherapy has caused it but not sure. I'm starting letrozole next week. Any advice out there?

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    edited June 2021
    Options

PebblesV,

Did routine mammogram today, it is clear! Will back in six months for calcification follow- up.

It is 2yrs anniversary for me.

Thanks all the ladies here.

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    edited June 2021
    Options

Congratulations Cathy on your two year anniversary!!! That's awesome!!! Sounds like you're doing great.

I'm only six days out of surgery with radiation ahead, but already started changing my body at the cellular level. Otherwise I'd have the same cellular issues that got me into trouble in the first place. Systemic and digestive enzymes, lots of water every day and the right foods with minimal bad foods. I hope to join you someday with those great anniversary experiences!

Awesome news!

Blessings,

Esther

• cathy67
    edited June 2021
    Options

Esther01,

Thanks! Yes, we will have lots of anniversary.

• brittonkb
    brittonkb Member Posts: 81
    edited June 2021
    Options

LittleBungle - Did you have your bone scan? I'm 49 and also had quite a bit of back pain for about 2 months during/after chemo. I finally did have a scan and all checked out ok. My MO had told me that, while possible to develop bone mets during chemo, it would be rare.

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    edited August 2021
    Options

@cathy67 - CONGRATS!!! Always nice to have that relief of a clear mammogram.

@LittleBungle - keep us posted on what you find? Bone scan isn't necessarily for bone mets but maybe just to see if you have a broken bone? Hope its OK.

@SelenaWolf - thank you for posting and sharing an inspiring story! Just curious, were you on Tamoxifen or any hormonal therapy post-active treatment or not?

For everyone posting the encouraging stories of survival, thank you thank you. It's so helpful to all of us still going through this. August is the 'cancer-versary' of when I was first diagnosed 3 years ago. So far I am in the clear with a clear mammogram a few months ago, but also I'm still taking Tamoxifen and I think as long as I am still on medication for this, it feels very present. Hoping it can be more and more in the rear view mirror.

• Esther01
    edited August 2021
    Options

Congratulations, Pebbles, on your three year anniversary! That's awesome!!

I agree, it's very encouraging to hear stories of long term survival and thriving, even when lymph nodes are involved. The nodes were doing what they were meant to do and protected us. I had 5 involved nodes (egads!) yet my MO and RO are both very confident it won't return. I start seven weeks of radiation two days from now.

I will continue Tamoxifen for awhile. I wasn't keen on it but my integrative doctor isn't worried about my taking it. She has lots of cancer patients and they don't have problems on it, nor have I. She kind of whipped me into shape quickly when I was first diagnosed and I'm going to continue it. She put me on a clean, natural (no processed food) diet, lots of water, good supplements, exercise, intermittent fasting. Oh, and I am a blood type A. We don't digest as well on the whole, so she has me on digestive enzymes with meals. I'm so glad that you are thriving at your three year mark. Very encouraging!

Blessings to you,

Esther

• cathy67
    edited August 2021
    Options

PebblesV,

I was also diagnosed in August, two years ago, this month is my two years anniversary, and my 54th birthday.

Lets celebrate our anniversary together in every August, lots and lots of August.

• Esther01
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hurray, Cathy, that's WONDERFUL! Congratulations on your two year milestone as you celebrate your 54th Birthday!!

And many more.....

Blessings,

Esther

• pebblesv
    edited August 2021
    Options

Esther - thank you for the positive words and cheering for you as well! We can make it through with tamoxifen together.

CathyV - yes to celebrating August and many, many, many more August celebrations ahead!!

• cathy67
    edited August 2021
    Options

Esther01,

Thanks!

Yes, all of us will have!

• smiling_brenda
    smiling_brenda Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2021
    Options

Just had my MRI. I'm 1.5 years cancer free!

Xoxo

• Esther01
    edited August 2021
    Options

Congratulations, SmilingBrenda, that's wonderful. You are all inspiring me and I am so glad to hear your stories.

After my second radiation session today, I was telling my sister how I dislike the very long beep the radiation machine makes as it's radiating my poor healthy cells. She said, "When you hear that sound, think instead about how it is blasting any remaining cancer stem cells out of your body and into oblivion!" A good shift in perspective.

Have a beautiful weekend! I'm looking forward to coffee outside in the garden and watching the new Hallmark movie premiering this weekend. Ha! Sometimes it's the simple things...

Blessings and sleep well,

Esther

• cathy67
    edited August 2021
    Options

SmilingBrenda,

Congrats! Yes, we will be smiling after every checkup.

• pebblesv
    edited August 2021
    Options

Congrats on 1.5 years cancer free SmilingBrenda!

And Esther I think your sister's advice is a great positive way to look at things.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    edited August 2021
    Options

MY BS didn't send my labs away to get an oncotype, she said because I had node involvement! I"m not sure if that is something that has changed over the past 7 years or not. I was told I had "good guy cancer" because it was hormone positive which she said we could control with an AI, plus it was grade 1.

I was 54 and going through the beginning of menopause, so I'm on Arimidex. Which brings up a question for the ER+ women here. Has your MO brought up taking Arimidex for another 5 years after your first 5? Total 10. She told me about a study that showed significant reduction in recurrence if you go 10 years instead of 5. It also included women who took Tamoxifen for the first 5 years then switched to Arimidex for another 5. I balked at that so she said there was a study that said 7 was as good as 10. So I did another 2 years. Now after 2 years she wants me to do the other 3. Because I had node involvement, even though the 7 year study said that the only difference between 7 and 10 was that there were more broken bones in the women who went 10 years. My bone scan showed I have osteopenia, so I'll have to have a Prolia shot every six months to do the additional 3 years.

Is anyone at this stage like me?

• warrior70
    warrior70 Member Posts: 101
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi, it's Warrior 70 here...I don't come on this board often, but in the early stages I was on here for hours each day, searching for hope. I was diagnosed in 2013; you can see my stats....anyway, as of right now, I am clear. I still have a TE in (long story, but it's lifestyle/financial rather than medical), and I went though menopause during chemo, but I am living a full life, have seen my two daughters reach many milestones, and am even beginning to plan for a retirement that I hope will happen. Warrior517 gave me hope when I was at the outset of my journey, and I am still friends on FB with the vast majority of the people who went through chemo with me now EIGHT years ago. I am counting down to the end of Arimidex (2.5ish years), and I am wishing the best for all of you too.

• cathy67
    edited August 2021
    Options

warrior70,

Thanks for being here, yes, your story encouraged me!

• Antigone0531
    Antigone0531 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2021
    Options

Wow! This helped me a lot. I had same as you did. My post radiated breast implant incision isn’t healing.This is my second incision revision. My plastic surgeon doesn’t think this one will hold. Apparently I’m having capsular contracture issues with the breast. He’s suggested a Latissimus Dorsi Breast reconstruction. I’ve read the complications from doing that.

I’m wanting to see about the DIEP using my tummy fat. I’m needing a tummy tuck anyway

• cathy67
    edited December 2021
    Options

Sisters,

Have not heard from you for a while, are you fine during covid? Tomorrow I will go for another mammogram, six month checkup, praying..

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited December 2021
    Options

Sening you good vibes cathy67.

• cathy67
    edited December 2021
    Options

LilyIsHere,

Thanks!! I notice our diagnose date and surgery date were very close.

• cathy67
    edited December 2021
    Options

I got clear mammograph today, the next one will be in six months or one year, will talk to oncologist next week.

Thanks.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited December 2021
    Options

Congratulations cathy67! I see my MO every 6 months for blood tests and Zometa infusion. I don't get mammographies anymore since I had BMX.

• pebblesv
    edited February 2022
    Options

Congrats on the clear mammogram cathy67! And thank you for checking in with your fellow sisters.

Doing fine, just have not been on this site for awhile. Not because I don't want to, but because time flies. I swim 84 laps 2-3 days a week now.

I think I'm due to get my mammogram next month and you know, it's always nervewrecking. Going to try and enjoy this month where I don't need to worry about it.

Some cuteness to kick off the Chinese New Year - Happy Year of the Tiger!

• cathy67
    edited February 2022
    Options

PebblesV,

Thanks!!! Yes, it is New Year Day today.

I started to learn swimming last September, I joined community centre's group swimming lesson, and yesterday it was my first whole lap in 1.5 m pool, I am 1.6m, I think the pool's side lane is a bit deeper than 1.5m, it is deep pool for me. I attend class three times a week now, really enjoy it, it let me forget all those checkups.

You are awesome, so many laps a day, I need break after one whole lap, and can only do a few now, due to skills and endurance.

Pray for your checkup, it is just a routine.

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hello my beautiful WARRIORS!!! It’s me, Kathy, the original poster of this thread. I love seeing the support that has been ongoing for the past 13 years since I originally posted. I am hear to share continued HOPE!! Last month was FOURTEEN YEARS since I was diagnosed. I am healthy, happy and hopeful. God is amazing. I came across one of my first threads that many of you can relate to about a year after diagnosis. It’s a poem I wrote and found it compelling for those of you in the journey. There is a light at the end of the journey. You will get there! I’m here for you…to pray, support and love. You are not alone. We have each other. Enjoy the poem written nearly 13 years ago as a scared yet hopeful young woman I was 39 at diagnosis and soon I will celebrate my 54th birthday 🎂 Went to Aruba this past November to celebrate 30 years married to my BFF!! You got this!!!!

The Chapter Closes...

It has been over a year since I received the call

You have breast cancer...I remember starting to bawl.

Surgery was needed, chemo and rads, too.

Don't forget the IV med, Herceptin, which is new!

My journey is written but I don't know the end....

But do any of us really, my friend??

I have written each chapter in my heart and my head,

From every tear to hope to all of the meds.

My surgery has temporaily changed me frm a C to an A

Thank goodness for pump ups in this modern day!

I made it thru surgery, waking up w/4 drains.

Taking my Vicodin to get thru the pains.

I heal and get stronger each and everyday

So, I finish that chapter w/success, I say!

A new chapter starts, the one we all dread...

Chemo begins and I know it will affect my head.

Soon, my brush was filled w/chunks of hair

I was sad, but I was prepared to look in the mirror.

Fun wigs..short wigs...sassy ones, too!

No one knew which one I would do!

Made it through chemo w/support of family and friends

Time to close that chapter, thought it would never end!

So, the new chapter begins of radiation for over 6 weeks

The burn and the pain would eventually peak

Again, I make it thru w/everyone's love and prayers.

Each day, I live in Faith and Hope, NOT fears.

I close the chapter of my new burnt skin.

Grateful my expanders did not give in!

I do my IV med, Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year.

The Oncologists staff know you by name and truly care

The access was made easier by inserting a port

But it's been over a year, not very short!

So, when does this chapter get to close for me?

In 2 weeks, and my heart needed these words to be free

You won't hear this often, but it gets stuck in our mind.

We get fearful, as safety nets are removed one at a time.

This is where I learned to control what I think

Positive thoughts can turn a black world to pink!

I also have learned to not live in fear, but hope

It is love, faith and believing that helps us cope.

So, here I sit two weeks before my final surgery day

Looking forward to silicone, port out and an overnite stay

I felt the need to write down my words for others to hear.

Maybe you will read them and want to share

I am a fighter, a warrior at war.

I have my battle wounds to even the score

I wear my pink boxing gloves and continue to fight.

So, pray for all of us each day and each night!!

• cathy67
    edited February 2022
    Options

warrior517, welcome back!

I, and all of us will celebrate a lot of anniversaries ahead, just like you. Thanks for the thread for stage 2 sisters.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited February 2022
    Options

Warrior517 - thank you for sharing your poem. I'm so glad that you are fourteen years out after diagnosis. It gives me, and other's I'm sure, much hope!