Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• dwill
    dwill Member Posts: 248

Hi all and whippetmom, I've been extremely concern since I had my exchange surgery.  I had a saline TE  which my PS (over a 9 month period) put in 750CCs. When it was time for my exchange, without discussing it my PS ordered a Saline implant.  I had him send it back for a Gummy implant, as that is what I told him I wanted all the time and earlier he agreed.  He, then, ordered the Allegan Silicone 410.  He had it filled to a volume of 580.  He did a minor lift on my left boob but they are not matching --even now 4 months later.  At first visit following, I asked the PS why he did not lift the left breast higher like the foob and he said he did not want to overshoot.    The PS stated that they would look okay in a bra.    Then, on the second visit he stated he would do a revision and uplift the left boob again and do liposuction on the sides of both.  Well here's the problem as I see it--my left breast is larger and hangs much lower.  The foob seems to be up to high.  In fact, when I flex my muscle the foob folds half in two where the foob bottoms out and the bottom half of the skin is loose and empty. I'm afraid that the implant is incorrectly place and surgery is not going to help much.  I am going to the original surgeon on Friday and ask him his opinion.  I just feel like this is not right.  I am not only whop sided but there are times when I use my right arm a lot--the exchange side hurts and feels so heavy that my back hurts-- more than the TE did and I usually have to take something strong like Vicodin for the pain.   Can anyone tell me what they think?  

Also how do I get on the picture site.  I don't mind posting mine as I need to know what I am suppose to look like.

• KGSN
    KGSN Member Posts: 20

Hi Whippetmom

My PA said Metral expanders.  I thought I just heard her wrong.  Is there such a brand.  She said 400cc and 13 cm.  They use everything else Allergan so I don't know why they would use different expanders.  Maybe I miss understood what she said.  

I would much prefer to loose weight too.  I am very proud of the 15 I have lost since Feb. 

Funny that you have read my PS book.  I think he is wonderful and completely trust him but his PA is leaving a lot up to me.  I hope he hears me on the 14th and understands my reasons for a larger fill. 

I got your message and will send you an email tonight.  Thanks!

• KGSN

Whippetmom 

Ok you are going to laugh at this one.  How about Natrelle expanders.  LOL!!! That would make more sense!  

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

dwill - the Picture Forum is a site that is totally separate from BCO. 

A BCO member, nowheregirl, created it years ago, and maintains it, along with another "gatekeeper", Lilah.

You will need to send a PM to Lilah (she's here more frequently than nowheregirl) and request access.

Here is the link to the thread, which tells you more about what's involved. The first post in the blue box got deleted accidentally, but just read the next post right after that.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/805466?page=1

Hope this helps!

• FLgrl32
    FLgrl32 Member Posts: 11

WhippetMom,

Can you explain why some of the implants made by Sientra, Allergan, & Mentor are only available in certain sizes and projections in the US? Will they ever give approval to all the available sizes?  Like why is the Mentor Shaped not available in the High Projection, but it is in the moderate?

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

KGSN:  Thank you for clearing that up!  ThumbsUp

• whippetmom

dwill:  Blessings gave you the instructions for the Picture Forum....

It sounds as though either the placement is "off" or the anatomical implant has rotated.  Do you want to email me photos privately?  Please send me a private message if you would like my email address.

Deborah

• whippetmom

FLgrl32:  The Mentor CPG moderate style implant was the only style used in clinical trials, and so this was the only style which was granted FDA approval.  Likewise, the "X" versions of the Allergan 410 were not used in clinical trials, and so the extra full projection style Allergan implants were not granted FDA approval.  Sad, eh?

• KGSN

Whippetmom

Thanks for the fast reply.  You put my mind at ease a bit.  I did send you a response.  

What are your thoughts on the shaped implants for me? Yes, the PS will be correcting the right side tissue which did happen from the surgery. 

Does any one else have the shaped implants and are you happy with them? 

Thanks!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Blessings -- I appreciate your helpful advice re: the Picture Forum!  Actually Nowheregirl checks here just as often as I do.  She just posts less :) 

• RoseBuds
    RoseBuds Member Posts: 28

I have posted my new girls on the picture forum, I am pleased so far!

Kathly

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

Rosebuds - I am so happy that you're happy so far!  (I meant to post this on the exchange thread but just did three posts in a row and don't want to look like a complete idiot over there.....lol!)

• whippetmom

sweetandspecial...LOL!

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

I KNOW, RIGHT???!!!!  It's just been one of those days......I had a real double-duh moment at work earlier in the day too.  I'm not sure I've ever even heard the term 'double-duh' but it was perfect......sigh

• 1MindyydniM1
    1MindyydniM1 Member Posts: 22

You may also see my pics in the forum...I am MindyydniM...if you want....Happy

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

sweetandspecial - I love that!  The double-duh term is a perfect name for it, because we all know exactly what you mean...  been there, done that.  Loopy

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,315

KGSN - I have Allergan 410 anatomical implants and I'm happy with them.  I've had them 2-1/2 years.  The only thing I'd do differently is go SMALLER.  I found them bigger than I wanted to start, and then I lost 60 lbs during chemo.

• FLgrl32
    FLgrl32 Member Posts: 11

WhippetMom,

The PA at my PS office indicated that as long as my PS over expands my TE ( which has a projection of 4.7), then he can select a final implant with a projection that is much greater.  Is this true?  She said that the TE is a starting point.  Hmmmmm.  

• whippetmom

FLgrl:  I suppose it is possible, although the function of projection of the TE is to provide enough expansion for good coverage over the implant.  But if he does not see an issue, that is good.

• KGSN

MinusTwo  Thank  you for sharing that.  It is nice to hear someone who is happy.  

• BCnotforme
    BCnotforme Member Posts: 25

whippetmom,

Update: I got my last drain out today (6 weeks!) but that was because it wasn't holding suction properly.  I  was averaging about 25 cc's drainage in a 24 hour time period, so not as low as PS wanted, but they said it had to come out. Current PS is fine with doing revision surgery in 2 weeks to smooth silicone rounds. I felt like that was soon? I just had surgery on the infected one not quite 3 weeks ago. 

I saw one of the drs you recommended today for a second opinion. A very well-known and respected dr in my city( and they file for insurance!). Could not have been nicer. Was even complimentary of my existing PS. But he let me know in a very diplomatic way (1) that 2 weeks is way too soon to go back in there for surgery, (2)  I need to be watched for fluid on the side that was infected and have it pulled off if nec., (3)I DO need expansion, at least twice, on the side that has the expander to get me to 550, but the implant side is fine and there's enough skin or something to work with, and (4) we need to let it all rest for 4 weeks to make sure I don't get another infection before next surgery.  (5) oh, and I need to be on antibiotics for 2 more weeks even without the drain (making it a total of 7 or 8 weeks). Current PS said nothing about antibiotics, said no need to fill expander and is fine to operate in 2 weeks.

Wow. I adore my current PS but doubting his judgement. How do I break up with him? He's so committed to making it right, but I fear does not have the seasoned experience the PS I saw today has. 

I could have emailed you but thought others may benefit from this! Feedback welcomed!

Thank you wonderful community- thankful to have this place.

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

BCnotforme - Not that you asked me, but I agree with PS#2.  It certainly seems that two weeks is awfully soon to do a revision, especially after what you've been through... I guess I don't understand the big hurry.

• BCnotforme

AZ85048, I welcome feedback and input! Thank you! I am trying to keep a long view and know that I want optimum results, and going into it a bit later is prob optimum.

Thank you! How are you doing with your process?

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126

bCnotforme, does sounds like it is a bit of a rush. Did your PS give a reason for only 2 weeks to exchange? 

No idea how to "break-up" with your PS but remember reading about it on one of the forums. I would take the cowards way and move to new PS and get their secretary to notify your current PS when he is requesting required info....

• whippetmom

BCnotforme: I would advise that you switch to the new PS.  That is INSANE....surgery in two weeks?  I agree with everything the consulting PS told you and it is time you moved on.  This is serious stuff! 

• BCnotforme

thank you whippetmom - I know you are right. It's so helpful to get reassurance and backup from you and others on this forum. Now I've got to figure out how to leave the other one who I really do adore. But as you said this is serious and the difference in advice and even the plan to move forward from delozier is so different. Including antibiotics (scares me to think I would not have been taking them) and filling the expander for a better outcome.

Do I need to ask delozier what type implant he's thinking beyond smooth round silicone/ 550? He says they will be lower than the existing implant that is under my chin. He also wants to do something with the inframmaory (?) fold under remaining implant, but not on the expander side which actually looks pretty good.  Happy to send pics again if I need to. I did say I want to be bigger than expander, and nurse said we'd probably go  to about 550 575. It's 375 right now. Is that good?? Teardrop implant is 410FF 475. To recap I'm 5'51/2", 117 lbs and 28" rib cage. Bony clavicle, projecting sternum. Imwant to be a 32dd. I always want this info when I'm reading others' posts, so that's why I added it :)

Thank you thank you. 

• whippetmom

BCnotforme:  Everything Delozier is telling you sounds just right to me.  I am shocked that you have not been on antibiotics!  That is "failing to properly treat" in the medical realm.  I wanted to say "RUN" in my last email, but it sounded harsh, but I am telling you to RUN now.  Your current PS' readiness to perform surgery in two weeks is scary.  Something is wrong here.  Throw adoration out the window!  This is your health in jeopardy under his watch.  You have to just let that attachment go and let it go immediately.  You do not have to tell him anything.  Just cancel any future appointments.  You have to explain nothing!  If asked, you just say you felt it was time to go in a different direction.  End of story.  

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

BCnotforme...

I have been following your story and boy, am I happy to hear you are going to a new PS. I am rather alarmed your PS was okay going ahead with a revision in two more weeks after the complications you very recently have had. I was actually very surprised that he had put an expander in there immediately after you had the implant removed. Both PS's I consulted had told me if something like that happened, they would everything out, allow the tissues to heal completely, and 'start over' once I was healed. In your case, I am especially worried that your PS is willing to put an implant in there, after that infection, so soon. Your poor tissues! And as whippetmom said...no antibiotics after such a recent infection and surgery? Yikes.

He might be a nice guy and all, and you may really like his personality, but those are some pretty questionable decisions.

There is a woman who writes a blog, nope2bc, who had to have her implant removed a month or so after her exchange surgery due to infection and is getting a new implant put in this month (maybe it was even this week?). They are hoping to do it without an expander as she has lots of tissue there still left (she had NSM). She has waited something like 5-6 months from time implant had to be removed until she could get a new one in. She is a LOVELY woman and very responsive if you contact her on her blog, and she has documented her journey on her blog as well including the complications.

• Asb
    Asb Member Posts: 5

whippetmom,

I just found out what style TE my PS plans to use. He said Allergan 133 ( I can't remember if he said sv or sx) 11 cm width. I am 5 feet, currently about 116 but pre chemo weight was 110-112. I plan to get back to my pre chemo weight as soon as I am able to return to the gym/more active lifestyle again. My chest is 31.5". I am currently a b/small c and would like to be about the same or a little bigger. What size/style implants would you recommend. My PS uses allergan, mentor and seintra.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619

BCnot for me-I had fat grating after my Left TE was removed due to cellulitis infections,  Was on IV anti-biotics 3 different times- and took antibiotics orally before my FG procedure.  But 10 days after the FG I had another bout of my cellulitis.  Although the infectious disease dr said this was highly unusual, my PS told me he would consider touching me again for at least 6 mos- that my body needed to recup.  Run from a PS who would operate again on you just 2 weeks later and especially one that never gave you antibiotics!!!

Babs