Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• BCnotforme
    BCnotforme Member Posts: 25

mikishelley, I have the utmost respect for you ladies who are dealing with chemo and all its effects on top of reconstruction. I did mine prophylactically, and am just in awe of you sisters who have such a difficult road and maintain the kind of hope and strength you obviously have. I applaud you! I watched my sister go thru  it and she's one of my heroes, just like you and the ladies on this forum. Yes, be gentle with yourself!

Xo

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

mikishelley - I, too, am in awe of the gumption all the ladies show that have to deal with chemo and radiation on top of reconstruction.  My onco-typing score was nice and low, my nodes were clean and I was early stage so I was able to avoid that additional physical and mental trauma. 

For my BMX I was under the anesthetic for a good 6 to 7 hours.  It took at least 8 weeks for me to feel more like 'me' again.  You'll get there.  I'm in a way more different place mentally at this point than I was 5 weeks post-BMX/TE placement, it just takes time.  Patience, girlfriend.......you'll drive yourself crazy otherwise Loopy.  It's a process you just can't rush.  Good for you for making that therapist appointment!  We're here to help you through this but we're not certified therapists (at least not most of us).  Certifiable maybe (lol!), but not certified.

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750

My husband and I will be flying to Chicago on Wednesday for a week's visit with my oldest "child", Allison. If anyone lives in the vicinity, let me know and maybe we can meet for coffee (hot tea in my case.)

• KGSN
    KGSN Member Posts: 20

Whippetmom  I saw my amazing PS today and kinda feel like I got a bit of a run around.  I asked about that issue under my right arm where too much tissue is missing and I have a big indent.  The Dr just went off on something about how I will not have back what God gave me.  He was very nice about it but never answered if he could fix it and how.  His PA 2 weeks ago said he would be able to fix it.  He suggested waiting till July to do my exchange but agreed that he could do it in late May if I wanted.  He thought maybe a few more fills where his PA was thinking maybe one more after today.  Too many cooks in the kitchen! 

So my question to you is if you had not seen my pictures or know my PS work (by the way he says he needs to write a 2nd edition to that book) what would you have said I should fill my TEs to and what size implants would you have said.  Before we were looking at 500 Allergen 20s.  Given my size 5'6 and 190lbs would you have thought bigger than that?  

Silly side note - You should see my projection now at 320! LOL!

Thanks

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Well, part of what you are seeing under your arms is the mastectomy defect....and there are a slew of women on these threads who have complained about it and have had it corrected.  Yes, I would have placed you at around 650 ccs/700 ccs.  There are so many other factors though....so it is what it is and 500 ccs is the goal. 

• simplelife2
    simplelife2 Member Posts: 74

I too have struggled with the fatigue. Trying to go back to work now as I continue with my fills. I think I'm getting close and my PS say  he wants to do the exchange 1month after the last fill. He says I only need  to be off of work a few days as it is an outpatient procedure. Doesn't that seem soon? How long is  typical? My job is fairly physical. I'm struggling with my new "normal"  I am so thankful to  all of you and  your info on sizing. I am 5ft 3in and 165# with hopes to lose weight. I am currently filled to 300cc and hoping I will be done pretty soon. I hoping to be 36c as before BMX. Hang in there. The support here is so awesome!! Thank you kind  ladies, this I  where I turn often for reassurance that I am doing fine! It's just a new and different journey. 

• sandra4611

Simple,

Mine was a month after the last fill too. Some people have it sooner, some later. Lots of women who've had their exchange lately have come home the same day with no problems.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

AMEN to everything Dawne-Hope said on page 352!!!!

• mikishelley
    mikishelley Member Posts: 12

BCnotforme and Sweet&Special- Thank you both. I often feel I am acting a little babyish especially when I read some of the experiences of those with a much more difficult treatment regime. I am taking it easy (at least trying)! Today is my big day Therapy and the haircut! I am blessed to have woke up with a little sore throat but not fatigued. Thank you for your kind words!

XOXOXOXO's

• mikishelley

whippetmom- First, Thank you for all of your advice and wisdom. You are a blessing to us all. Second, my PS has recommended that I begin massaging my chest and TE's slowly and then gradually working into a deep tissue massage. I thought I understood, but I am a little confused about where to start, how to do this and what exactly to do. Any links or advice? I asked my hubby to help, but he just is so big it scares me. I am very petite and he is like Paul Bunyon!

• mikishelley

whippetmom- PS I had my last fill two weeks ago. awaiting the finishing of chemo for my exchange.

• sandra4611

Had to post this here too.

• whippetmom

LOL! Fabulous!

• janhart
    janhart Member Posts: 292

Sandra, love it! Anything that makes us laugh is priceless!

• KGSN
    KGSN Member Posts: 20

Whippetmom  Thank you for all your advice.  I think he was just getting off topic a bit.  I am sure he can fix it.  I see the PA again in a week and a half for another fill and I will talk to her about it again.  

I am just ready to be done I think but I need to listen to the experts and do what they say will be best.  This is not the part to rush through! 

Thanks again!

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836

Ill take a 6 pack!

• whippetmom

PLEASE NOTE: IMPORTANT INFORMATION

I AM HAVING A NASTY RHEUMATOID FLARE IN MY RIGHT HAND AND SO I AM TYPING ONLY WITH THE LEFT. NOW, MORE THAN EVER, I NEED WOMEN TO PROVIDE ME WITH EVERY DETAIL OF THEIR RECONSTRUCTION. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE STYLE OF YOUR TISSUE EXPANDERS, PLEASE GET THAT INFORMATION. I CANNOT ANSWER YOUR POST WITHOUT IT.  IF YOU ARE A UNILATERAL AND HAVE ONLY ONE TE, THE KEY IS SYMMETRY. THE GOAL IS TO MATCH THE NATIVE BREAST.  I CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO HAZARD A GUESS WHAT YOU MIGHT NEED, UNTIL I KNOW ABOUT YOUR NATIVE BREAST, AND THIS INCLUDES WHETHER IT IS DROOPY, WHAT SIZE IT IS, OR WHETHER YOU WILL BE HAVING A REDUCTION OR A LIFT OR AUGMENTING THAT BREAST FOR SYMMETRY. POSTING THIS IN THE THREAD HEADER ALSO. 

THANK YOU!  

Deborah

• grammakathy
    grammakathy Member Posts: 126

whippetmom - Rest and get better!  We appreciate all you do and now you need to take care of yourself.  Hugs!

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

Oh Deborah, I'm so sorry!  RA is no picnic, I know.  I have a 32 year old niece who was diagnosed at around 20 years old and has already had both knees replaced. You take care of yourself!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,315

miki:  When I was in chemo it was so good to be part of a current chemo thread here.  The same with rads.  The information was valuable and it was useful to be 'talking' to ladies going through it at the same time.  Someone usually starts a thread every season (like Chemo November or Spring Rads) so just check the chemo & rads headings for the current active groups.  Good luck w/your tx.

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

Oh, Deborah, I'm so sorry you're in such pain!  RA is a beast.  So, please take it easy and we'll see what we can do to help field the questions and get all the information gathered from anyone who needs your help - before they contact you....  Disciples of Whippetmom, are you with me????

• whippetmom

You guys are the best! 

AZ...that is SO helpful to me!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,315

Deborah - no need to answer but I'm thinking about you & hoping the flare will be under control soon.  My SIL is now on Remicade infusions every 6 weeks and it's the only thing that's controlled her pain.

• friendships
    friendships Member Posts: 37

Whippetmom, I'm so sorry to read about the flare! I sincerely hope you feel better soon! xoxo

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

whippetmom - Praying for you. xoxo

• whippetmom

Thank you for the prayers and well-wishes!  I was supposed to start on Orencia infusions tomorrow, but a lung lesion they had been watching (which did not light up on the petscan) has changed and they just feel they should remove it.  So I have to put off RA treatment until after the surgery. I have been waiting a year to get on medication, after methotrexate toxicity damaged my liver.  Liver enzymes are finally close to normal and so I was to start treatment.  I tell you, when it rains, it pours!  I do not know what I would do without my faith in Jesus....

• sandra4611

Thinking of you, Deborah.
  • Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693

whippetmom- first off, I'm so sorry about the RA and the freaking lesion geez! Best of luck.  Secondly- your profile pic is fabulous! Looking great.  Wanted to let you know, that I finally had my nipples done in October 2013 and I absolutely love them.  Next and final stage is tattooing 5/19, once everything is done I will send you after shots.  Thank you thank you for all the advice and comfort you give to all of us in our time of confusion and need.  You are out boob whisperer.  

• mnmbeck
    mnmbeck Member Posts: 156

Deborah....I just want to say...that just SUCKS!  I am sorry you are going through this.  I, too, have gotten through this with faith in Jesus.   I will be praying for you.   Much love and thanks for ALL you do for ALL of US!!!

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Deborah - Sending you big gentle hugs, and big honkin' orders to REST!!!! 

Disciple of whippetmom here,  - REPORTING FOR DUTY!!!!  SillyHeart