Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261

I have high profile. They look good from every angle.

• MarthaMo
    MarthaMo Member Posts: 7

Hi everyone, a little update from me! I had my exchange surgery few days ago, I was so surprise how good I felt right after waking up, almost no pain at all, I didn’t even need any medications.

I ended up with mentor round high profile 400cc on my “healthy” side, and 450cc on my radiated side. That was surgeons decision after trying a few options during surgery, because healthy side looked bigger after expanders settled down. I hope they decided well.

A day after surgery, when they let me see them, I almost cried of happiness. They look so natural! I had a nice shape before cancer, but this looks just perfect. Maybe they are a bit smaller then my original breasts, but I’m not sure, because they are different. I said to my surgeon that natural look is priority over size in my case. To be honest, I didn’t believe implants can look so good. I just hope it stays like that. I feel a bit like it’s too good to be true! They are also really soft!

Good luck everyone!
  • purple-flower
    purple-flower Member Posts: 74

Hi Debora

Thanks for responding. I got a bit more info so maybe this will help with some recommendations for me - for the real implants?

The TE that they used was the: Mentor 450ML style 9200.

Apparently the type of implants they (Kaiser NCAL) typically offer are the Mentor smooth round. (different styles). Said they could get the Allergen kind if really wanted...

As I mentioned in previous post, before all this I was a 36B saggyish (after kids), and pre-kids a 34B/C. I prefer to be smaller, and definitely don't want the va va voom look at all - so not sticking up and out in any crazy way. I have smallish frame (5"6" 125 pounds) so I'd like them to look and feel as close to natural as possible. Not looking for an enhancement, etc.

So far I have 120ml saline inside TEs. Rt side looking more full than left - but obviously still a work in progress.

Any recommendations? Questions to ask?

Thanks!

Purple Flower

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

Hi All,

I saw my PS for my annual visit. My exchange was January 2017. I have classic 450 in each side.

He said to his Nurse something like we did a 790 exchange? I realized that was my pre cancer size and what was removed.

I also realized that today I can jog and exercise without the girls bouncing and trying to slap me in the face. My reconstruction is perfect for my weigh loss body after cancer.

It took awhile to understand this.

I remain grateful to WhippetMom for her guidance thru this. Thank you.

Coach Vicky

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

GAWarrior

NO to anatomical implants. Once you have had round implants, anatomical implants could more easily rotate. Also....Why take ANY risk? You will be better served by sticking with Natrelle Inspira. ideally, your PS could narrow the pockets laterally, and use a SRX style in the 450 to 500 cc range. I feel 13,5 cm max width would be preferable. I like the remainder of his plan.

Debora

• whippetmom

Vick....Heart

• whippetmom

purple-flower

You have two options. 350 ccs or 375 ccs in the moderate plus profile, or 425 ccs or 450 ccs in a high profile style. All Mentor smooth, round, silicone implants. I think with your desires to remain small, you might want to go with the MPP version.

D

• whippetmom

MarthaMo:

This is the way it should be. So glad it worked out for you and that you are happy with your results

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Whippetmom, thanks so much for your suggestions! You are right, I really don't want anatomicals - especially with the risk they present. I didn't realize they would possibly rotate if I have had round ones before, though, thanks for letting me know. VegGal, I appreciate your input, too.

• purple-flower
    purple-flower Member Posts: 74

Whippetmom

Thank you!! Really appreciate your help and advice!!

All the best. Looking forward to when this is all done!

PF

• spankyg
    spankyg Member Posts: 12
    Glad to see you are back Whippetmom. I will send you some photos today by PM.Since making this post, I have been told by my surgeon that the fibrous scar tissue from the pocket relocation on my right breast is not capsular contracture. The surgeon just called it fibrous scar tissue. He gave me the feeling that I might just have to live with it. I'm not happy about that as it is very thick, rough and uncomfortable, plus it is making my right breast look somewhat misshaped and deformed right where the cleavage is. I want to address this with the surgeon but want to become as informed as possible on what my options are for addressing this issue. I've now been six months since the exchange surgery and was hoping that my new breasts would have started feeling a bit softer by now. The right breast with the implant seems to be softening up with the exception of the fibrous scar area. It is very hard and rough.The left (lat flap) breast is still very hard and sensitive. Although not as hard as the expander phase, it is pretty close to that hard rock feeling. From your experience and others on the forum is this as good as it gets or do I still have swelling that needs to dissipate.I see my surgeon again in January and that is when we will discuss any revision surgeries to correct the misshaped lat flap breast, the incisions that didn't heal properly, and hopefully address the fibrous scar issue on the right breast.Thank you for what you do for all of us.
  • robinblessed54
    robinblessed54 Member Posts: 485

Hello, I am one of the unfortunate 410 ladiesSad

I am seeing my PS on October 24 to discuss explanting them. I have 475cc FF. How difficult is it to switch to Mentor smooth? And what size and should I be expecting?

I can’t live with them knowing what I know. I can’t “unknow” it! Having BC is bad enough always knowing it could recurr. Now they want us to wait for symptoms?? I don’t think so.

I am 5’ 5”, 145 pounds. 36” chest. My foobs itch all the time with occasional pain.

Thank you for your help.

Robin

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

I am posting this on several threads that are discussion the recalled implants. And BTW, it is not implants in your body, only what was in stock on the shelves.

I have the Allergan 410 Anatomical Textured implants. They were "installed" in 2011. I really like the implants so I determined to have some testing before jumping off the cliff. My MO ordered both a diagnostic ULS and an MRI. I went back to the radiologist who was 'spot on' for my original diagnosis.

I had already seen both the PS and the MO and both of them said they don't see any problems, but...

Today I had the ULS. This is a radiologist that I REALLY trust. He has seen a couple of ALCL instances out of a ton of people. I wanted an ULS to verify - and maybe an MRI follow up. In his opinion, he has seen either fluid or a mass if the patient has ALCL. He saw nothing abnormal on my films. My gut reaction is NO - I am not going to explant and I am not going to have any more surgery just now. As I suspected, my pain is likely from radiation after effects. When I pushed him for a 'survivorship plan', (my MO basically says do nothing) he suggested I come back every two years since I already had a recurrence 2 years after the original cancer & implants. He said many women come every year because they are worried and need reassurance or to have their hands held. Not a judgement, just a fact.

He said I can surely have the MRI if I want, but I am confident enough of his skills that I will pass on the MRI & extra radiation for now. And I will agree with my PS that I don't need to worry so much.
  • whippetmom

robinblessed

Absolutely ! It is easy to switch to a smooth, round implant. I recommend Mentor high profile smooth round, 500 ccs or 550 ccs. You will be happy with the change.

Deborah

• robinblessed54
    robinblessed54 Member Posts: 485

Thank yo

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 786

Hi, 3 weeks ago I had post bilateral mastectomy and immediate reconstruction using tissue expanders and AlloDerm RTU sling. My right side is painful and was ed. PS put me in heavy antibiotics but he also thinks it may have been a reaction to AlloDerm RTU.

Does anyone have any experience with AlloDerm RTU?

Thank you!

• minustwo

Lilly - this thread is mainly about selecting the correct size of implants. You can "search" the entire site on from the left hand column. Or you can start a new thread if you don't find anything. Good luck.

• bgrose
    bgrose Member Posts: 2

Hi wippedmom,

I am day 2 post op BMX with Alloderm Tissue Matrix Contour Large Perforated sling and Mentor Cpx 450cc # 350-9213 /7748088.

I am 5'4 125 pounds, pre-surgical bra size 32 ddd ,droopy after 3 kids.

Looking for high profile, high projection, round new boobs.

Help me pick the right implants! :)

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261

BgRose, if you want high profile and projection, look into Natrelle Inspira SCX. They are as good as they get for projection. Whippetmom can help you with the size!

Goo luck!

• whippetmom

LiliWasHere:

Did you leave out an “r” when describing your your skin overlying your implant? There is a phenomenon called “red breast syndrome”, felt to be a dermatological reaction to Alloderm. But typically it is not associated with pain. It is a benign condition, and eventually the redness abates. I hope this helps.

Debora

• whippetmom

BgRose

Implants: Mentor Xtra Smooth Round Silicone - 560 ccs or 595 ccs. Either would be ideal. You likely have sufficient skin envelopes for the 595 cc implants. Your PS could try both in the OR at the time of exchange.

Deborah

Oh...I see that VegGal mentioned Inspira by Allergan. The SCX or SRX would be excellent choices also, but docs who use Mentor TEs are usually Mentor all the way. In the Inspira, the size would be very similar. Talk to your PS tosee if you have this option.

• UWMOM
    UWMOM Member Posts: 3

Hi whippetmom

I have wanted to reach out for a while and get your thoughts/opinions on my exchange. I had a bilateral nipple sparring mastectomy Jan 2019. In February I had to head back to the OR for a hematoma (right side). I had my original TE's (400cc Allergan recalled textured) placed in April 2019. My left TE was replaced in July due to a leak. It's been a long year! I am schedule for my exchange this December. My PS has given me pros/cons of both silicone & saline. Ultimately it is my decision. Hoping to get your opinion on which has more benefits/drawbacks, as well as sizing. I'm 5'6" and weigh 170 lbs. Pre kiddos I was a 34b. I'd like to be a bit bigger but I'm definitely not looking to be "big". Thank you in advance.

• whippetmom

UWMMOM:

I would not hesitate to get a smooth round silicone implant. I would suggest Allergan Inspira SRX or SRF....but something in the high 500 cc range to high 650 cc range, if at all possible. Another option would be the Mentor xtra smooth round high profile implant - same sizing.

Deborah

• July11986
    July11986 Member Posts: 2

Hey Whippetmom- I am new to the forum but have been impressed by you accumulative knowledge on what size implants. I am a 70 year old, height 5'4", 180 pounds, under breast measurement of 38 inches. I had bilateral mastectomies with reconstruction on 10-13-19. I have Natrelle TE 133S-MX-15T 700 cc in that are under the muscle. My PS is filling weekly and I am up to 350 cc in TE. My DX was ILCIS stage A1, grade 2, with negative lymph nodes. My main concern is to look good in my clothing. Can you help me with sizing. I really appreciate you going above and beyond. Many thanks

• whippetmom

July11986

I would recommend Natrella Inspiration, 750 ccs SRX (which is an extra full projection style) and/or 800 ccs, same style.

De

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124

Hi Whippetmom,

I'm not sure if this is something you can comment on or not. Here are my stats:

TE's: Natrelle MV-T 400cc (13cm x 12cm x 5.6cm) - overfilled to 500ccs

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 158-168

Chest: 29" (broad I guess- I'm skinny on the sides)

You'd suggested Allergan Inspira SRF 485cc's (13cm wide, 5.4cm projection)

I'd come to an agreement with my PS that I'd be about 500 cc's with high cohesion (SCF's) because he explained that I would end up with a lot of rippling with the Soft Touch (SSF's) so Soft Touch were not a good option for me. We also agreed that they'd be high profile (full profile). So I'd expect that I'd have either SCF 480 or SCF 520.

Before the surgery I pointed out for the third time to the PS that my breasts were about 4 fingers apart in the TE's and I wanted them closer together. My original boobs were about 1 finger apart at the top. He drew pre-op lines on me that were 1 finger apart and I was super happy!

I woke up from the surgery with boobs that are about 1 finger apart (yay!), but the implants he put in were Natrelle SSM-600's (600ccs, moderate profile, Soft Touch, 4.9cm projection). SOFT TOUCH?!! He'd specifically told me that Soft Touch would not work well for me prior to surgery!

The PS said that he had to put in the 600's because to put my breasts closer he had to use something with a 15cm base instead of the 13cm of the TE's. I'm assuming he's saying that the high profile wouldn't fit, but he did not actually say why he did not choose them, but that makes sense. Or maybe that they'd have to be 695cc's or 745cc's which is WAY bigger than the 500cc's we were planning on, that could be the reason too.

I was expecting a projection of 5.4 or 5.5cm, and what these have is 4.9cm. The difference in profile is not very big, but these breasts look like flat pancakes. I understand that this is a common complaint when people first get the implants put in and I'm very hopeful that they have some more projection and look rounder after settling because they currently look pretty awful and the projection is very disappointing compared to my overfilled TE's.

I'm pretty unhappy on a number of fronts- first, I hate being surprised and I can't imagine why the doctor was not capable of measuring correctly prior to the surgery to determine what size base I'd need (which would influence what size implant would fit). I wanted to be part of the decision making process I am very unhappy being blindsided. He could have even give me some potential different bases and we could have talked through what implants I'd prefer. Second, he put in implants which he'd already told me would ripple (against my wishes), and I can see ripples less than a week out. Third, he put in implants with a different projection than we'd agreed on but I guess that was unavoidable due to the larger width I need.

My questions are these:

What is the likelihood that fat grafting will be able to hide the ripples on me given that I do not carry much fat on my chest naturally? You can't see my chest bones, but my chest is the LAST place that gains weight. I have a lot of thigh fat to donate towards the project.

How set in stone is the base size? If I went to SCF 650's, my breasts would be about 2cm (.78in) further apart, which is about 2 fingers apart, which apparently is average. Is that a thing that you've heard of people doing? Can you go from a 600 to a 650 without somehow expanding the tissue?

I'll ask my doctor these questions, but I would like to have some outside info prior to my meeting of possible.

Thanks so much for your time!

• minustwo

On Target - Whippetmom will likely be around soon, but just a quick comment. If I remember correctly, your exchange surgery was only 11/6. That's only 4 days ago. You will have no true idea what your implants will look like for 6 weeks to 6 months. As hard as it is, please try to step away from the mirror. It's way too soon to make any judgements about the final look or future plans.

You could always make an appointment with a different PS for a second opinion. Although he or she would likely tell you the same thing - it's too soon - you could at least discuss it with someone with possibly a different medical opinion.

Yes, I hated my PS several times during the process. I wanted more input and I wanted "what I wanted". And I wanted it right now. I did find another plastic surgeon and discuss my concern with the results. So been there, done that.

8 years down the road, it's obvious he did a great job and I remain very pleased. Or as pleased as it's possible for anyone who's been through breast cancer with foreign things in my body. They look good and I don't think about them as extraneous appendages.

• whippetmom

onTarget

Could you send me some photos via private message? If you have tissue expander photos, please send those also. You might’ve sent me photos previously, but by now they would be so far back it would be hard for me to find them.. I have kept every message in my message box for 11 years!.

Deborah

• megan_c
    megan_c Member Posts: 5

Hello! Everyone!

I just had my exchange surgery from tissue expanders to implants last Wednesday (November 6). My Plastic Surgeon made me a little bigger on my left side to account for the capsular contracture that occurred. I have mentor implants ( I wound up going with the textured implant). Looking at the card I was given and the info I was able to look up on the Mentor website, I think they are medium height moderate plus profile. my left side is 375 CC and my right side is 330 CC. That seems REALLY BIG to me. I know I'm still healing and theres probably some swelling that needs to go down. I read that it can take up to six months for the implants to finally become "normal". I know this is all just me being paranoid. is the CCs that are used is that the maximum that they will hold? or the minimum?

Thanks!

Megan

• mamina5459
    mamina5459 Member Posts: 6

Hello Whippetmom,

Thanks for the research and the help you give us.

I had a skin sparing (non-nipple sparing) BMX with TE placement 04/2018, followed by chemo and radiation (right breast).

I went through my exchange surgery on 07/2019 (sub-pectoral implants + fat grafting) but am not overly happy with the result. What I have now look like 2 fat pancakes or 2 flat hamburger buns, with healthy breast wider and drooping about 2inches lower than radiated breast and no real projection.

My PS has scheduled me for revision surgery next month, where he says he'll do lipo and fat grafting, but says he can only give me so much projection with the present implants. So I am considering asking him at my pre-op about swapping my current implants: SIENTRA OPUS (10721-700HP) for another brand of high or extra high profile implants. I need your advice on this.

My PS is Maakan Taghizadeh with the Maryland Institute of Plastic Surgery. Great bedside manners, and he listens to his patients.

I am 5'6, 207lbs, age 60 and was a 38C before BMX. And bigger would not bother me at all.

[By the way, BMX, TE filling, exchange etc. went pretty smoothly, and I thank God for that]

And I thank God this community of beautiful souls!

Thanks again, Whippetmom, for the time you take to listen to us and guide us in our choices.

Pamela