Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• rmgrmg
    rmgrmg Member Posts: 26

Any way to tell the right size reconstruction to get for a medium to very small body frame? I was a good A before BC but think I would have looked more proportioned with B. How does one know for sure what size to ask or shoot for?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

rmgrmg - Do go back and read the entire header of this thread. You need to post all the information requested for Whippetmom to review & see your specs.

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,833

I just had my appointment for consult with the plastic surgeon's assistant.

1. I am five ft seven, 187 lb, and dropping slowly. My chest measurement is 34 1/2.

2. I have an allergan brand expander, 500cc Specifics are 133MX-13-T

3. My PS prefers Allergan brand. Smile

4. I told him that I am a B cup, but he disagreed. Altogether likely that I had been wearing the wrong size. Maybe a C cup? The basic thing is that I want to be able to look down and see my boobs first, instead of my belly. I have been working out at a gym with that in mind.

Lefty is healthy, although a bit droopy. Because lefty is sacred to my children, I don't want her to be touched. If I will have to wear a bit of padding because of unequal size, so be it. I am unlikely to get married again, so I only want to wear clothing with grace and dignity.

What information do I need to have in hand in order to intelligently discuss my choices?

• Dciso
    Dciso Member Posts: 3

dx DCIS stage 0 grade 2 on 3/17/19 r breast multifocal

Surgery 4/25/2018 r mastectomy with TE. 1 sentinel node removed-negative, pre-pectoral implant using ADM.

TE Mentor TE smooth round spectrum 375 cc.

SN 7647437-072

Bra size before surgery 32 d have lost 5 ponds before surgery. ( couldn't eat!) Ht 5 3. Wt 116. Age 75. Chest size under breast's 29-29 1/2 in.

Have a total of 300 cc now. PS said I'm about right. I feel it's about matching my other breast with a supporting bra on-left side very droopy. Very ripply r side expander with a big divot under right armpit where there is little fill.

PS retiring and handing me off to his associate.

Says he likes to wait 4-6 months before PI to allow healing and settling

Starting on tamoxifen to reduce ca recurrence in left breast

Er and pr positive

• Dciso

How long does it take to get an answer from whippetmom?

• minustwo

Dciso - Whippetmom checks in on the weekends when she can. I see your post was 5/28 so you may not hear anything until after 6/2 - if she's in town.

• sej5512
    sej5512 Member Posts: 2

Hi Whippetmom!

Thanks for helping all of us navigate this confusing world of implants!!

1. 5' 6", ~135-140lbs, ribcage circumference: 32".

2. TE: Allergan 133S MX-11-T. Width: 11.0cm, Height: 10.0 cm, Projection: 5.9cm, Fill Vol.: 300cc. They are over the muscle.

3. My PS has told me she would like to use the Mentor MemoryGel Xtra (I think she said "Xtra", she said a lot!).

4. Pre-mastectomy breast size: 34B, thats at least what I wore, though the band was a bit tight. They took out 343g &364g of tissue.

5. She has overfilled my expanders to 390cc. Unfortunately, my skin is getting tight and we have decided to stop expansions. She is thinking the implant range will be somewhere between 350-400cc to keep my skin integrity good. I have asked her to use the largest implant she can (that will obviously not overstretch my skin). Do you know where this would put me post-op size wise? I was hoping for more of a full C, but it looks like we won't be able to achieve this. :(

I believe this is all the requisite info! Please let me know if I missed something! Thank you!! :)

• EMDD
    EMDD Member Posts: 1

Hi Whippetmom,

I had bilateral mastectomy with 350cc Mentor tissue expanders placed at that time. I am due to have exchange surgery in couple months.

I am 5’6 140 lbs. I previously wore a 34DD bra. I feel that I am on the smaller side. PS plans on using 375 implant. Would I be able to have a larger implant. Is the PS able to try different sizes day of surgery or am I done at 350 which I have been expanded to already,

Also do implants fill in the hollow areas above breast? My PS said I may need fat grafting to repair. I believe 202 gms tissue removed at surgery.

Thank you

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124

Hi Whippetmom,

I had a BMX on 5/15 and I'm in the process of filling now. I have Natrelle MV-T's 400cc fill volume. I'm 5'9" tall, 158lbs, and my chest is 29" around at my bra line. My implants will be over the pecs in an alloderm pocket.

I originally had A / small B's. I'm hoping for big B's, small C's.

The tissue removed was:

Right side: 408g, 20cm x 17cm x 5.7cm

Left side: 475g, 19cm x 19cm x 4.3cm

Is there a linkage between the grams and the cc fill volume?

The TE's are 13 x 12 x 5.6cm, 400cc fill (133MV-13-T).

I'd always thought that my original boobs were kind of spread out, which made them look smaller. It seems that my new boobs will be more condensed if the size charts are right.

I feel like the PS mentioned something about my chest wall being rather flat and that making a difference in his approach. I can't remember what that difference is, I'll ask at my next appointment.

Any thoughts on what I should get as my final implants? The PS said he is planning to use round silicone implants (Inspira's) and he's willing to overfill the TE's.

Thank you, I really appreciate any insights you have!!

• Dciso

Still haven't heard a reply from whippitmom. I'm getting anxious

• spankyg
    spankyg Member Posts: 12

Thanks Whippetmom. Sorry for the long delay in providing an update. Been a very busy last few months.

I had my exchange surgery in April and overall it went well. I had my expanders filled to (right 800cc & left 720cc) and on the advice of Whippetmom and my surgeon went with Inspira SSX (right 800cc & left 700cc).

I had some internal bleeding after the surgery that led to extensive bruising visible on both breasts. My surgeon advised me that this would dissipate over the next 6 months. It has all but disappeared now. Both breasts had extensive swelling as well….especially the left with the Latissimus Flap. The swelling has started to subside now…the left still has some swelling to dissipate.

The left Latissimus Flap breast also looks a bit square on the outer bottom side of the breast. The surgeon said he could mostly correct that with a revision surgery but recommended we wait 6 months of so.

The right breast also had one of the incisions on the outer side (approx. 2" long) that healed in a somewhat open (not tightly closed) way, so it looks like a channel or divet in the scar. The surgeon said he could re-cut that area of the scar and close it tighter during the revision surgery.

The one area of concern that I was looking for advice on concerns fibrous scar tissue which I believe is called capsular contracture.

When the expanders were installed, the surgeon placed the right one too far out and needed to revise the pocket for the implant during the exchange surgery. He said when they create the pocket, they create scar tissue that keeps the expanders/implant in place. Because he had to move it, I now have scar tissue on the inside (cleavage area) of the right breast and also on the outer lower side of the right breast. Both of these areas would be somewhat visible when wearing certain bathing suits and tank tops. The cleavage area in particular I would self diagnose as stage 3 in that it is visible deformed and lumpy on the surface of the breast. I am a realist and knew my reconstructed breasts would not be without their aethetic issues, but I thought that while wearing clothing I could blend in quite nicely. I hope I can accomplish that once this process is all over.

Firstly, is there anything I can do myself to minimize or reduce this scar tissue. My husband has been applying bio-oil to the breast tissue/scars on a daily basis and massaging the scars. I've start massaging the breasts themselves and having him also do it.

I've read internet articles about ultrasound therapy and low level laser therapy for this kind of issue but I'm unsure that it is producing real results.

I've also read about a surgical procedure called "Capsulectomy" that can resolve this type of issue. If that is the only way to rectify this issue I will have to bring it up with my surgeon because it has me feeling very self conscious at this time.

Am I correct in my self diagnosis of this issue as Capsular Contracture?

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

I am back. Sorry for the unplanned hiatus. I have had a difficult few months with some medication issues for my restless legs syndrome, and a very sick new puppy. I am in a better place now.

That said, if you posted a question in April or May, please let me know if you still need a response.

If you are not in the U.S., please do the conversion or centimeters to inches for chest circumference, and convert the height and weight for me also. I just do not have time to do that.

I will start with the June questions

• whippetmom

sej 5512:

You are in a good position, fill wise, for a Mentor Xtra Smooth round silicone implant, high profile. I would ask your PS to shoot for 415 ccs.

Deborah

• whippetmom

EMDD:

Ask your PS to use the Mentor Xtra Smooth Round Silicone, high profile implant, 415 ccs. Ask her to check the dimensions of your tissue expander, in comparison to that of this aforementioned implant, and it appears to me there is sufficient room to use this implant.

• whippetmom

OnTarget:

Your TEs are 13.0 cm wide and 5.6 cm in projection. I would suggest the Allergan Inspira SRF....485 ccs. 13.0 cm wide and 5.4 cm projection. If he needs a little more wiggle room, since you will have an Alloderm pocket, a step down in volume would be 450 ccs.

Deborah

• whippetmom

Dciso:

Do you still need a reply

• whippetmom

SpankyG:

Private message me photos

• minustwo

Whippetmom - so sorry to hear about your issues but GLAD to see you back. We have all missed you!!!

• whippetmom

Thank you MT!

• jonib
    jonib Member Posts: 94

Whippetmom - welcome back. I'm so glad you are doing better now. I am always touched by your knowledge and desire to use that knowledge to help others. You were missed.

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124

Hi Whippetmom,

Welcome back, you were sorely missed!!! Thanks so much for the response!

In the interim, I've had my TE's filled to 500ccs and I like it. Tentatively the doctor is thinking around 500cc's so I think that would be the 485 SCF. Sounds like it is right in line with what you were thinking! I think he could go as large as 520's to get a little more projection, but he's planning to figure it out in the OR as long as it is within the range of what we'd agreed to.

Thank you!

Jul 29, 2019 04:54PM whippetmom wrote:

OnTarget:

Your TEs are 13.0 cm wide and 5.6 cm in projection. I would suggest the Allergan Inspira SRF....485 ccs. 13.0 cm wide and 5.4 cm projection. If he needs a little more wiggle room, since you will have an Alloderm pocket, a step down in volume would be 450 ccs.

Deborah

• hodgepodge
    hodgepodge Member Posts: 15

Hello! It's amazing that you are willing to continue offering your help to all of us whippetmom! This journey is so stressful... having this messageboard and people like you makes it easier. Thanks! I have had my last fill and am 2 weeks into the 8 week waiting period until my exchange. Here is my info:

1. I am 5'5 inches, 175 pounds, and 34" rib cage

2. Expanders are Allergan 133MX-14-T 600cc (yes, the textured ones that are recalled :( )

3. My PS uses primarily Natrelle and Mentor

4. Premastectomy size 36FF on the noncancer left side and D cancer side that had a lumpectomy and radiation 13 years ago.

5. Right breast removed 917.2 g, Left breast removed 1475.8 g.

6. My PS does not overfill TEs

I am trying to get used to this new me. The expanders are very flat on the front and overall boxy in shape. I look like a ran into a wall and didn't bounce back. I'm hoping that the exchange will change this! It's so hard to know what to expect.

Thanks again for all you do!

• HappySpring13
    HappySpring13 Member Posts: 44

Hi Whippetmom, so glad you are still here on this site. I coming back from 2014.

My current implants are Allergan 410's Natrelle 595 cc. I had them put in after TE's in 2014. My PS suggest I replace them due to the recall.

He suggested Allergan Inspira smooth round. My 410's are anatomical which make it kind of flat on top and I wouldn't want anatomical again.

Can you suggest what cc and style to make fuller. I wouldn't mind going bigger than what I currently have. He will do over the muscle this time and cut below the breasts. I didn't want the scar reopened across the breasts.

I'm 5'7 145 pounds.

Thank you!!

• minustwo

Happy Spring - Just an outside comment - most plastic surgeons are NOT suggesting removal unless you are having symptoms or problems. The recall is only for what is in stock on the doc's shelves. Of course the decision is yours depending your current symptoms or how risk adverse you are.

I have seen my PS (head of plastics at a major hospital) and he does not currently see any problem with mine after 8 years. We are going to be aware & watch going forward. If he suggested removal, I would have found a doc for a second opinion. This suits me fine since: I love the anatomical shape & the feel & look of the 410s, I'm not having any problems, and I DON'T want another surgery if I can avoid it.

• sej5512
    sej5512 Member Posts: 2

Hi Whippetmom,

Thank you for your reply and help. I am sorry to hear that you had a rough couple months, but glad things seem to be getting better.

I conveyed my wishes to my PS and ended with 415ccs, as you suggested! I also had 65cc fat grafting on each side. My surgery was only a few days ago, so I still haven't seen the final product.

Thanks again for all you do! It helps so much to talk through all the choices with someone!

Take care <3

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261

HappySpring, I also had 410’s, 595 cc. I switched to Inspira SCX, 615 cc, with fat grafting. No more flat top! Hope this helps

• HappySpring13
    HappySpring13 Member Posts: 44

Hi VegGal - Thanks for letting me know that! Are yours placed under the muscle? I am currently under but the exchange he said he does over the muscle now. Wondering if there is a different feeling, like a feeling of relief. My chest wall always feels tight and sometimes I have pain since the placement of them in 2014.

• MarthaMo
    MarthaMo Member Posts: 7

Hi Whippetmom, so sorry to hear about your situation. Thank you for coming back to help us! I'm repeating my msg with updates. I had prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with expanders on 20th of march this year. I had lumpectomy 4 years ago, but decided on mastectomy because of BRCA1 positive results. My breasts were really asymmetric, and I was worried about how it is going to look like, and how skin is going to stretch on the radiated side, but for now everything is perfect. I have a really great surgeon I guess, but there is never enough time to ask him everything when I get to meet him.

So now I have Mentor expanders Style 9200 450cc w: 12,7cm h:10,8cm projection: 7cm (w: 4,9 in, h: 4,2 in projection 2,75in)

I finished fillings 3 months ago, with 450cc both sides. I don't know what was the size of my real breast in cc's or grams, I only know surgeon told me I can not get that projection with implants, it is going to be at least 0,5 inches less in projection. My bra size was 70C European (I went to bra fitting), and my rib cage is around 27-28 inches.

My surgeon said we'll think about type of implants in a few months, when it comes to my exchange surgery (scheduled for September), he is opened to everything, but I would like to prepare, to know what are my options, to know what to discuss, although I really trust him.

I'm 173cm & 56kg (5,7ft & 125 pounds), with almost no fat on my ribcage and upper part of my body, so I'm not sure if I'm a candidate for a round implants, I'm afraid they would look strange and not natural on me. I couldn't find any Mentor implant with the same dimensions as my expanders, so I don't know what are my options at all.

Also, I would like to add one more question, but fell free to ignore it if it is off-topic. My breasts after mastectomy are not completely numb. Actually, they are getting better and better, and I'm so happy i have feeling in them. Will they become numb after the exchange surgery? I'm so satisfied with how everything feels and looks with expanders, I'm afraid that maybe it is too early to be happy.

If you find time to answer me, I would appreciate it a lot!

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261

HappySpring, yes, the new implants are pre-pectoral. I do feel much relief. They look better, too.

Good luck

• whippetmom

Hodgepodge:

I would suggest the Allergan Inspira, SRX, which would give you extra full projection. The volume would be 650 ccs or 700 ccs.

Debora