Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• Doubledone
    Doubledone Member Posts: 2

You are so kind to help us all going through this and I really appreciate your help. Not sure if I have a large skin pocket. Hard for me to tell how the tissue expanders look. I will private message you. They are each filled to about 500cc.

• Sunny18
    Sunny18 Member Posts: 2

Hi Whippetmom - I think this is all my info:

- I'm 6 ft. tall, 148lbs.(normally +5lbs.) and have a 33in. rib cage.

- 34D, pre-BMX (fitted years ago, love Chantelle).

- TE's are Mentor, Medium height, 350cc., not overfilled (11.7cm W/10cm H/6.6cm P).

- PS uses Allergan smooth, round implants and will use fat grafting.

I want to be about the same size and I'm looking forward to being less saggy.

Thanks for helping us ~

• Yiyagf
    Yiyagf Member Posts: 6

Hi Deborah,

my name is Maria and I just joined the site in absolute amazement with the wealth of support and knowledge in it. I live in Australia, but our equivalent breast cancer community site is not as mature or complete as this one, probably due to smaller population but also because it seems that US leads the way in most medical procedures.

I had skin sparing bmx on March 4th and expanders were put in. My measures are as follows:

Height: 5ft3in

Weight: 110 lbs

Rib cage: 29.5in

Original bra size: 34B

Original breast width: 11 cm

Expanders: Mentor CPX4 Medium Height 350cc with allograft pocket created during surgery

I haven't discussed final sizing with my PS, although I went for a two stage to achieve a bigger size than original - at least a C cup. He uses Mentor implants and recommends high profile tear drop ones and fat grafting to fill up the upper pole where required. When it comes to CC, he is slowly inflating me (at 200cc at the moment) and he will allow me to decide when to stop but he doesn't think that I would like more than the 350cc. I know that CC and cup sizing is all relative to your body size, but reading through a lot of your posts it seems that most women opt for implants well above 400cc. Given my sizing, what would be your recommendation to achieve a full C cup?.

Happy to send you any photos that may help you to get a better picture on body size and breast shape.

Many thanks in advance, I am truly impressed with your generosity through so many years of advice!

• MikesLove
    MikesLove Member Posts: 1

Hi. I had a BMX on February 12. I have always been extremely small-chested and would like to be a little bigger. I think I was a 34B when I was nursing my babies, and that was a nice size. My main goal is to be able to wear dresses with darts and swimsuit tops that don't sag. I've talked to several women who were very small and have regretted their decision to go bigger, so I don't want to fall into that camp. I only have 140cc fill so far and am already bigger than I was before, but I tried on a blouse with darts this morning, and it still looks pretty saggy. But I know that TE cc's don't look the same as implant cc's, so I don't know even how to judge. I would love any input in this whole decision, both from Whippetmom as well as any others who've walked ahead of me in deciding what size felt right for them when they started out small.

Height: 5'4"

Weight: 117 lb.

Ribcage: 28.5"

TE's: Allergan 133SV-12-T

PS uses Allergan smooth round implant, with fat grafting

Pre-mastectomy bra size: 32AA

Thank you so much for any input you are willing to give!

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610

can someone give me the user name for the photo profile?  I have my password and also can't remember how to get to the site. Thanks so much

• Deedee1448
    Deedee1448 Member Posts: 2

Hi,

I had my skin sparing double mastectomy 3/20/19 and rather than place tissue expanders I had implant placed 3/29/19. I feel like the implant is so small compared to what was discussed and it’s been very tough the last week or so seeing the swelling go down and to be getting even smaller.

Height: 5’2

Weight: 135

Ribcage: 34in

Original breast size: 34ddd/f, 750grams per breast according to pathology

Implant placed: Natrelle 550cc

I was ok knowing I’d be going slightly smaller but this is much smaller than I anticipated. From what I understand my skin is thin and there was some concern about placing anything larger, however last I met with my PS she seemed surprised I wanted to go bigger to be closer to my natural size. She did say we could go a little bigger at around 6 months- any input would be appreciated. I know it’s still early yet but I can’t imagine that there will be any drastic changes. Lot’s of placating from friends how good they look, but they don’t need really get it. I’m almost regretting not going the expander route, maybe that would’ve got me closer to the size I was comfortable with. Based on body stats I’m sure a 750cc implant seems huge, but I was large chested already. Any original larger chested women out there willing to share? What is feasible at this point

• jaboo
    jaboo Member Posts: 368

Hi, I would like to discuss my sizing too... I hope I will get there someday (I mean to the implants)

I had BMX in January with a large hematoma on the right (prophylactic) side. Healing was OK untill the right scar opened and now I am dealing with healing problems. Both expanders are OK, the healing issue doesn't go too deep, foetunatelly.

I have Mentor low height 250cc expanders. They are 60ml now (from the operation) and I've already got used to this size.

Height: 163cm (5'4")

weight: 53kg (117pounds)

Ribcage 77cm (30in)

Original size: 75A-B (sorry, don't know the american size)

Pathology said my breast tissue was 220g and 205g

I definitelly don't want to go bigger. I just want to have noticeable breasts to be able to wear normal clothing.

I don't know what kind of implants my BS prefers. I discussed only the size with him and I stressed my wish to be about the same size as my breasts were.

Now I am thinking I don't want textured implants. I haven't discussed this with my BS so far so I don't know whether he uses them after they were pulled from market in several countries here in EU.

And I am thinking, will I be able to avoid rotation issues if I rather choose round implants and not teardrop implants? I have no idea whether round implants are ok for my rib cage...

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 863

Deedee, Whippetmom will reply with her more precise knowledge...but for me, over 1000 removed and 700 SRX works really well. What is the projection? there is F, M and X. I do wear a 36/38F due to the width of the implant and needing to get an underwire all the way around, but I look like a D in clothes...which is perfect for me. TT

• Stix

sent whippet mom some photos. Anyone know if she still cones to this site often ? Thank you

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

She usually checks in every couple of weeks. Her last (above) post was 3/31.

• Stix

thank you minustwo

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Sunny18:

I feel you need to be in the mid to high 400 cc range with implants. See if your PS is willing to use the Allergan Inspira SRX or SCX style - 425 ccs to 495 ccs

• whippetmom

Yiyagf:

I would suggest 440 ccs, Mentor Memoryshape moderate height, high profile, if he insists on using anatomical implants. I would prefer a high profile, smooth round - Mentor in the 400 to 450 cc range

• whippetmom

MikesLove:

I would recommend Allergan Style 20, 400 ccs, or Allergan Inspira, SRF, 385 ccs.

• whippetmom

Deedee:

The Style 20,550 ccs sounds like a good size for your frame, but not if you are comparing where you were prior to MX. So I would suggest next time Allergan Inspira, SRX - 580 ccs or 615 ccs. This way your PS does not need to exceed the volume by too much, but the Inspira implants are overfilled and the projection is considerably better. For instance, you would have the same width, but you would go from 5.6 cm to 6.4 cm in projection which is considerable.

• whippetmom

JaBoo:

Definitely smooth rounds. If your PS uses Mentor, I would suggest around 325 ccs or350 ccs in a high profile smooth round. You have Allergan Inspira in Europe. If your PS can use Allergan, then go with the SRF 345 ccs.

• whippetmom

Stix:

You will need to contact Fum I suppose. I do not know it either....🙄

• Stix

Hi Whippet, I left you a private message with more photos. thank you

• tdallen
    tdallen Member Posts: 3

Hi Whippetmom!

I am 5’4” and weigh 155: my rib cage is 35 inches.

Expanders are Allergan Natrelle 133 SX-15-T. Currently I am at 220 CCs and PS is adding around 50 CCs every other week.

PS does not us a specific implant brand exclusively

Pre-mastectomy size was a skimpy 36 B.

I definitely want to go bigger...would like to be a very full C.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

• whippetmom

tdallen:

I think you need to be in the 650 cc to 700 cc range. I would look at Allergan Inspira - SRF, 650 or 695 ccs. But let’s wait until you are filled to around 500 ccs. Then you can tell me how you are feeling about the size. t

• Stix

wippetmom is extremely good at the implant sizing. I am so impressed with her accuracy. I can't say enough about how accurate she has been with mine

• MarthaMo
    MarthaMo Member Posts: 7

Hi everyone! I hope I can get some advice here as I see this thread is very helpful! I had prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with expanders almost 4 weeks ago. I had lumpectomy 4 years ago, but decided on mastectomy because of BRCA1 positive results. My breasts were really asymmetric, and I was worried about how it is going to look like, and how skin is going to stretch on the radiated side, but for now everything is perfect. I have a really great surgeon I guess, but there is never enough time to ask him everything when I get to meet him.

So now I have Mentor expanders Style 9200 450cc w: 12,7cm h:10,8cm projection: 7cm

They are already 350cc filled and I I should complete that process in a few weeks if everything stays good. I don't know what was the size of my real breast in cc's or grams, I only know surgeon told me I can not get that projection with implants, it is going to be 1-1,5cm less in projection. Now with 350cc my breasts look big enough to me, but my "healthy" breast looks like it is not full yet. My bra size was 70C european.

My surgeon said we'll think about type of implants in a few months, when it comes to my exchange surgery, but I would like to prepare, to know what are my options, to know what to discuss, although I really trust him.

I'm 173cm & 56kg, with almost no fat on my ribcage and upper part of my body, so I'm not sure if I'm a candidate for a round implants, I'm afraid they would look strange and not natural on me. I couldn't find any Mentor implant with the same dimensions as my expanders, the closest one has 440cc w: 12,5cm h:11,8cm projection: 6,2cm I see that the height is different, so I don't know is it possible to use them.

Also, I would like to add one more question, but fell free to ignore it if it is off-topic. My breasts after mastectomy are not completely numb. Actually, only the lower part of my "healthy" breast and the nipple on that side are numb. Will they become numb after the exchange surgery? I'm so satisfied with how everything feels and looks with expanders, I'm afraid that maybe it is too early to be happy.

If you find time to answer me, I would appreciate it a lot!

• Deedee1448
    Deedee1448 Member Posts: 2

Thank you whippetmom

I will talk with my PS about the Inspira, projection is a definite focus and that sounds like a good option. I appreciate your response and input

• tdallen
    tdallen Member Posts: 3

Thank you Whippetmom! I appreciate your help and will be in touch when my expanders are near 500 ccs.

• Stix

has anyone had luck with getting hold of Tim Tam and the photo forum?  I have the site but forgot my password. Is there someone else managing the picture forum now?

stix

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Stix: Sorry, I don't remember mine either, but this is what I got when I searched for picture forum.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topics...

• Lindzfay
    Lindzfay Member Posts: 3

Wippetmom:

Hi there! Thank you so much for helping so many women. I have my exchange scheduled in June and will be choosing implants soon. I would love to hear your suggestion.

I am 5’5” and around 210 but slowly losing a bit. I was 190 before my diagnosis and hope to hit 170-180. My rib cage is 41”. I currently have Natrelle style 133 expander which appears to be full height and extra projection. Catalog No 113fx-13-t. I wore a 40 D to DD before dmx.

Thank you!!

• Lynn77
    Lynn77 Member Posts: 1

Hi whippetmom,

You are amazing! I would be so thankful to hear your thoughts on what implant style and size might be best for me.

I am 5'8", 145 lbs, and rib cage ciscumfrence is 36

I have Allergan Natrelle TE 133MX-12 / Suggested fill volume: 400cc

Width: 12cm Height: 11cm Projection: 6.3cm

Prior to my mastectomy I was a 36B

Thank you so much!

• cyclops
    cyclops Member Posts: 1

Hi whippetmom,

Thank you for all of your help on this site! I am new to the group and was so happy to see this space.

I had a double mastectomy on 3-19-19, and the PS put in TE's at that time. A couple of weeks later I got a nasty infection on the left side that would not respond to antibiotics, so I had to have the left TE removed (all better now!). I have to wait 6 months for a replacement TE, but for now we are moving fwd with reconstruction on the right side, anticipating exchange to implant early June.

Here is my information, I am hoping to be a small C cup after exchanging for the implants - I was a B cup before but always wore a padded bra so I want a little larger, but do not want to be too much larger:

Height 5;7", Weight 143, Measurement under bra-line/TE = 34"

Mentor Artoura High Profile TE, 500 cc. Width 13.5 cm, Height 13.5 cm, Proj 6.6 cm. It currently has been filled to 350 cc's and the plan so far is to add 50 more cc's next week. Right now it seems large enough, but PS said the tissue expander itself adds a little bulk, plus I have seroma that he drains about 30-40 cc of fluid from each week so that's adding to the bulk as well. I would like the width of the implants to be a little more narrow than the width of the tissue expander - I feel that it goes too far over toward my armpit.

My PS is open to alternatives, but said he generally places Mentor Moderate Plus Extra Profile smooth silicone implants. (I do want to use the smooth and not the teardrop type)

Pre-mastectomy, I wore a 36B bra. My breasts were pretty saggy/droopy - they grew in that way originally, and breastfeeding did not help. :-) The surgery pathology report showed Rt breast tissue removed was 475 gm, Lft breast tissue removed was 570 gm.

I would appreciate any advice about implants and cc's needed! Thanks so much.

• samruns
    samruns Member Posts: 18

Hi Whippetmom - I'm new here too :) Thanks for all the wisdom. I feel like I've learned more from you and this site than from my medical team sometimes!

I'll be having a bilateral mastectomy in June. The details:

Height: 6'1 (super tall!)

Weight: 160

Underbra measurement = 36 inches - I wear a 36B now but padded so I look like a small C on a good day ;)

When I was on birth control, I was a small C. PS said that I don't need to do expanders - I can go straight to implant...hoping that is the best idea. He uses Mentor saline and silicone.

I would love any advice you have...I'd like to still look natural, but many have cautioned me about going too small. Feel like I'm going into this completely blind, but I know I felt comfortable as a small C. Thanks in advance for any help you may have.