Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

HappySpring:

I am not sure of the style you have. There are several 410’s with a 595 cc volume. Allergan Inspira smooth rounds would work - SRX (to give you extra projection), 650 ccs. This puts you in the 6.0 plus cm projection arena. Talk to your PS about the possibility of using this style implant.

Deborah

• whippetmom

MarthaMo:

After mastectomy, anatomical implants are not going to give you a tear drop shape or natural shape, any more so than would round implants. Frankly, I can never tell the difference, other than that anatomical implants rarely look as good, in my humble opinion, as round implants. There are some gals on this forum who have anatomicals that look very good, but they are the exception, rather than the rule. Also, issues with the recall of textured implants would completely rule out the use ofanything other than smooth rounds. So I would suggest Allergan Inspira, SRX, 495 ccs or 525 ccs.

Deborah

• lila3357
    lila3357 Member Posts: 5

hi Deborah

i literally am one week after exchange surgery and just had bandages removed today. i know that i need to live with myself a little bit to be fair ...but right know i am feeling miserable. Given what i have been through to get to this point I so much very much wanted to like the outcome. I told the PS that i didn't want to be bigger than i was (34/B...for what that is worth) and i feel like i am really small and rippling. I was told to give it some time for the swelling and fat injections to settle to really see the final outcome....give it some time.

I came across this thread and figured i would ask...bc i am prepared to do it again if need be (UGH)

I am 5'3, 105lbs, rib circumference is 32inches, i am very thing and implants (and TE's were) right on my ribs

i have Allergan, Naturelle inspira, Style: SRM 310cc

• Any input you have is very much appreciated.....thanks so much

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

lila - if you read the "exchange" thread, you'll get a better feeling for what happens down the road. You need to wait 6 weeks to 6 months for the internal healing and the implants to settle. As everyone says on that thread - STAY AWAY FROM THE MIRROR. It's hard, but at this point you can not get any kind of valid impression about what you might look like.

• MarthaMo
    MarthaMo Member Posts: 7

Thank you so much for taking time to answer! Now I’m sure I’m gonna use round ones. I realized my surgeon also prefer them, I was just worried about will I get natural shape with them. I hope Allergan implants are available in my country.

I can’t wait to get soft implants, although my expanders look unexpectedly good, they are so hard. Hope I’ll be back in few months with updates.

• hodgepodge
    hodgepodge Member Posts: 15

Whippetmom, thank you for the advice! I will be having the consult with the PS very soon for the exchange. I can't wait to get these expanders out!

MinusTwo - great advice but I know it's going to be hard to follow :) The results of the exchange are scary to me. Hoping for the best!

• kd09
    kd09 Member Posts: 1

Whippetmom – thanks for this very long standing thread. Your dedication and endurance to maintain and answer questions speaks volumes to those who read it.

I had BMX surgery with reconstruction 6/27/19 and would appreciate your input on implant size:

I am 5' 9 ½" tall, 162lbs, with ribcage circum 35". Pre-mastectomy size: wore bra 34C. Surgically removed: 533g on Left and 525g on right.

TE: Mentor CPX4 suture tab, medium height, smooth 550cc. Dimensions: Width 13.5cm Height 11.7cm Projection 7.4cm

Don't know PS preference for brand/style. Thank you

• k4523
    k4523 Member Posts: 5

Whippit mom, I know it is here somewhere, and feel stupid that I can't find it, but where do we submit required information? Hopefully here! Thank you so much for any assistance you can offer. Very confused after today's PS visit, which is my ;last prior to my exchange.

Dbl Mastectomy 6/19 with spacer placed.

I am 5.5", 145 lb
    presurgery 34 B

measurement around ribcage is 35"

Alloderm Select Tissue Matrix Contour Medium Perforated.
    Mentor Artoura Ultra High Profile Smooth Tissue Expander

i've had 6 fills of 60cc ea, so total of 360 ccs per side

PS uses textured implants w/ silicone. Initially said he would use high profile, but today said he;d use a lower profile, and wider. That confused me, I don't want wide and flat lol.

Also have done everything as told, but today both my left and right spacers had rotated. so added 'revision bilateral reconstruction' to my surgery next month.

• Askmissa
    Askmissa Member Posts: 32
  • TETM28
    TETM28 Member Posts: 2

Hello - I am trying to get an idea of the implant size I should have after my mastectomy. I just found out a mastectomy is my only option so I have just begun my research. I would like to try to have implants around the same size of my natural breasts, but I am not sure if that is even possible. I don't have my appointment with the plastic surgeon for a few more weeks and my surgery is just three days after, so I am trying to do all the research I can now to be able to make the best decisions I can and to have my questions ready!

Height 5'7"

Weight: 170

Ribcage circumference: 33.5"

Current bra size: 32G

So far, based on research and advice here is what I have decided: round, high profile, silicone. Right now I amhoping I won't have chemo or radiation after surgery because as of today, my lymph nodes are negative, but they will be checked during surgery too.

Thank you!

• whippetmom

lili3357:

Please send/private messageme photos. You have three months for everything to settle before deciding where to go next. The SRM is a fairly low profile implant....so it may be the lack of projection you are seeing at this point

• whippetmom

KD09:

I would recommend, minimally, 650 ccs in a round, Mentor extra smooth high profile implant.

Debora

• whippetmom

k4523:

No to textured implants! I also do not like the suggestion of lower profile implants. Do not go through an exchange surgery with this MD until these issues are made clear. You failed to provide the VOLUME of your tissue expanders. You stated your fill level, but that does not tell me the dimensions of your TEs.

Deborah

• whippetmom

TETM28

I think you are going to want to talk to your plastic surgeon about using an extra full projection style implant - either Mentor or Allergan Inspira. Possibly 700 ccs to 800 ccs. The key is not going too wide, but still achieving projection and volume.

Deborah

• TETM28
    TETM28 Member Posts: 2

Thank you Deborah! I very much appreciate your help!

• Doreo
    Doreo Member Posts: 3

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for your continuing support! Your input and the support offered through everyone here continues to be invaluable.

I had nipple sparing BMX surgery with reconstruction 6/26/19 and would appreciate your input on implant size:

I am 5' 10" tall, 167lbs, with 35 " ribcage circum.

Pre-mastectomy bra size: 38B - (a small B that has been through 2 pregnancies and 50 years!)

Surgically removed: 400g on Left and 319g on right.

TE: Allergan 133S-MX-12-T. 400cc.

Dimensions (WxHxP)12cm x 11cm x 6.3cm

I am not sure about PS preference for brand but they generally use round smooth high profile gel.

I am right now overfilled on both sides - left is 560 and right is 500. I have a fairly lean torso and my breasts are fairly wide set.I f I could end up somewhere slightly smaller than the TEs right now I would be fine. But from what I understand the difference between the TE and the gel implant is going to seem softer and possibly smaller anyway so I don't know what to do.

Thank you!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,558

KD09, TETM, Doreo and all the newbies here, we are sending you a warm welcome to the BCO Community. Sorry your circumstances have brought you here but we sincerely hope that it will be a source of great support to you. Please, let us know if you need any help from us, we're always here!

Kind wishes,

The Mods

• Doreo

Thank you Mods for the welcome! For me, it has been nine months of lurking and learning from all of the terrific members here. I am so grateful for the knowledge I have gained and the support I have witnessed across the discussion boards. Although I have not posted before today I consider this community to be a source of great support! You have been with me through it all even if you didn't know it!

• HopeWins
    HopeWins Member Posts: 81

whippetmom - hoping I could ask a question or two. I'm two weeks out from bmx with DIEP flap and I'm healing well. I understand I'm still swollen and things won't look as they do now in a couple months. That being said, I also don't think I'll grow any fluff in the upper and inner part of my breasts where there is none. I'm skin on ribs at the upper poles and there's no hint of cleavage.

I knew going in that I had barely enough tissue to match my current size. I thought I might be OK with that, especially if they ended up being a little perkier, but they are definitely not perkier. I feel like I have half the breasts I used to have. This is likely the distribution of the tissue which is wider with less projection than I used to have. Volume might be close but I feel like I look out of proportion with the rest of my body now.

I know I have to give myself time to heal and the PS will do a revision that can include lipofilling/fat transfer, etc. My issues are: I don't want multiple surgeries after this next one. I don't want to keep traumatizing other parts of my body by harvesting fat. I want to move on from this chapter in my life sooner than later and I want to do it with a body I'm comfortable in.

Are you aware of women who have successfully added a small implant after DIEP? Any recommendations? I see the PS in two weeks. I like to go to my appts with an idea of what I want so that I can ask appropriate questions and prepare myself mentally.

Here are my stats:

• 5'8"
    • 150lb
    • Rib cage 32"
    • Previous bra size 34C, sometimes 36B
    • I did just measure myself again and I measured 34B, but I still have swelling under my arms and in my foobs.

TIA!

• whippetmom
    Doreo:

I would suggest looking at the Allergan Inspira SRX 445 ccs. You will not be happy with anything smaller. They will be smaller than where you are now with your overfilled TEs. You say your breasts are wide set. Are you saying that this is an anatomical issue or are the tissue expanders placed too laterally?

Deborah
  • whippetmom

HopeWins:

Absolutely! There are many women who have had a DIEP and augmentation with implants. It is called “hybrid reconstruction “ in some circles. I cannot help you with size, since I have no idea how wide (how many centimeters) or what kind of volume you have with your DIEP. Have you discussed this with your plastic surgeon? Here are some links of interest.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topics/841802

https://www.realself.com/question/fayetteville-tx-implants-diep-flap

https://www.drleokeegan.com/articles/immediate-post-mastectomy-hybrid-reconstruction-diep-flap-plus-implant/

Deborah

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,558

Doreo, we're happy our Community could help and so glad that you decided to join in! Again, welcome to BC.org!

The Mods

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509

HopeWins, I’ll be having implants added to my previous bilateral DIEP next month. I’d be glad to share any info with you before during and after although I don’t know a lot yet lol. There’s not a lot of info that I’ve found out there. We are very close to the same body frame and size.

• Doreo

Thanks Whippetmom!

It's anatomical - and honestly since I have always been small I didn't think much of it. Since I had nipple sparing MX PS has pointed out that in order to keep the nipples in the middle of each breast without getting into moving the nipples, the implants will be as far apart as the expanders currently are. I never had cleavage to speak of, but PS said if I wanted to go larger with the same projection, I would be able to close that gap a little bit. I do not want to end up with huge pancakes or big round balls and I am having a difficult time visualizing the end result. The upper pole of the Allergan Inspira SRX is not as full I think - so that seems good. I will go to my consult armed with info - thank you!

• HopeWins
    HopeWins Member Posts: 81

thank you Whippetmom! Very helpful. I'll discuss with my PS

• alden722
    alden722 Member Posts: 22

Hi Whippetmom! I have finished fills but haven't done my pre op appointment, and was sent home with info on saline and silicone implants. I would also appreciate any other guidance.

I am 5'3", usually around 130 lbs, and chest circumference of 30.25"

My TE are 300cc Allergan 133MX-11-T

Prior to my diagnosis I wore 34C or 36 B (the 36 B usually fit better, but it depended on brand).

I was happy with how things looked at 270cc, but my PS likes to over fill a bit and I am now at 320cc. My goal was not to go bigger, just look like I did before.

I have been sent home with a bunch of info from Allergan, so it would appear that is the brand PS prefers.

Thanks!

• purple-flower
    purple-flower Member Posts: 74

Hi Whippetmom

Your advice sounds amazing for the women here and I would love some counsel if you are still on the boards and have some time.

I am just done w nipple sparing BMW w expanders in now and hoping to get drains out tomorrow. (yay!) As I turn the corner on healing I would love any advice on what to ask, think about etc for expansion and then implant replacement. I am 5'6", 125lbs and smallish frame / ribcage (didn t have enough belly fat for DIEP so they said... so here I am....) Presurgery I had 36B size that were kind of droopy post kids. (I am turning 53 this Thursday). I think way back pre-kids I had a 34C.

I really do not like the look of implants in general so I am a bit scared of this whole thing. I liked my small boobs and did not crave to be bigger ever really... I don't like the look of implants that are popping out of chest and/or look like they are sitting too high. For me, the more natural looking the better. I like to be active, sexy - as in understated not va va voom cleavage, and preferably keep my same clothes.

I am at Kaiser in Northern California (which has been great so far). I know they do not offer the textures implants anymore. I don't know the exact type of expanders they put in but I will tell you that they feel huge and almost too big for my body.

What questions should I ask now and any initial thoughts on size/fill that would make sense for me?

Thanks so much!! Hope you and everyone here are doing well.

PF

• whippetmom

Aiden 722:

Allergan Inspira 340 ccs. Style SRX. That should be what you are describing

• whippetmom

purpleflower

I do need your TE information to be more exacting, but I think you want implants in the 400 cc range.

Debora

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Hi Whippetmom,

I had a skin and nipple sparing BMX 10/2018. I went through my exchange surgery this past March but am not overly happy with the result, so I am considering swapping my current moderate profile implants for high or extra high profile implants. I need to help to make the decision of whether another surgery is even worth it, please!

I am 5'4", 123 pounds, age 60. My rib cage measures 28 inches. My sternal notch to nipple measurement is 24cm (9.5 inches). I have a petite frame (I wear size small or extra-small blouses). I currently have cohesive silicone implants - Natrelle Inspira SCM-445 (left- non cancer side, which had a prohylactic MX) and SCM-520 (right). I wore a size 34C bra in my pre-BC life.

From the first time I saw these puppies, I have felt like they were flat "pancakes" just sitting on my chest. I also feel like they are on upside down (nice upper pole, but flat at the bottom/nipples where a natural breast would project out). My cleavage is great, there just is NO projection at the bottom. If I turn sideways, they look (and generally feel) like they are just sort of plastered to my chest (will I ever get used to how uncomfortable they are? They feel like they will peel off my chest at any minute).

PS is on board with doing an implant swap - he will use Mentor round implants, along with doing some fat grafting. He also wants to do a mastoplexy of both breasts to raise the nipple line because it is his opinion that the nipples are too low for a high profile implant. If I am going to go through another surgery, I want at least the high profile implants, but maybe extra high? I don't want stripper boobs, just to look like I have "natural" breasts! If it helps to know this, he would rather put in anatomical implants by Mentor, which he says aren't as high a lymphoma risk, but I am not sure I want to take that risk for several reasons.

Am I hoping for too much? Will the high profile implants still leave me looking "flat" or "upside down"? (anyone who has had a mastoplexy, please feel free to weigh in (I have read that they don't last). If I do go through with the surgery, what would be the best size/style for my frame?

Many, many thanks!