Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited April 2013

I just thank people and tell them that God and I are on it, but if I need to talk about it, I'll be sure to let them know and then turn and start doing something. If they really can't take a hint I just tell them straight up that I don't want to talk about it. Although what I really want to say at times is do you not have any ability to take a hint. I don't want to talk about it and if I did, it wouldn't be with you. Then I ask for forgiveness and answer appropriately. :-)

I know most people mean well but it does get tiresome. It has made me much more cognizant of what I say to other people.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited April 2013

I cannot add anything to the amazing words you all are sharing here.  What an absolutely beautiful group you all are.  JO-5, yes you are very wise but so are all of you on here.  If you all could know the feelings I have as I read through your posts of encouragement - WOW!  Thanks. 

Prayers going up; blessings coming down.

Love you all.

• curveball
    curveball Member Posts: 1,583
    edited April 2013

@Mini1, >>snicker<< I didn't say it either, but I was thinking it, or something very similar.

@Jeannie57, if this former friend is really toxic, I would say stay away unless for some reason you are specifically led to contact her. Just keep not responding to her messages.

@JO-5, different people respond differently to fear, so maybe your nemesis does talk a lot because she is afraid, and to block out unwelcome thoughts and fears. She wouldn't be the first person to do so. So far, I've been spared being told that my illness is due to unconfessed sin in my life. I wonder if people made these kind of tactless remarks to the apostles when they were sick or going through other trials.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited April 2013

Dear Jeannie, I know Our Lord wants us to forgive, but not necessarily to reconcile, especially if she is toxic!!! Dear Jo-5, your dear daughter said exactly the right thing!!!

Curveball, I am lifting you up in prayer right now!! Mini1, thanks for the chuckle!! Patoo, thank you for your kind and encouraging words!! Rocket, prayers are coming for a painless and successful therapy on Wednesday!!!! Hugs to you all here!!!

• curveball
    curveball Member Posts: 1,583
    edited April 2013

@Rocket, I forgot to say, thank you for your prayers. What happened to your foot?

@Kindergarten, thank you too. I also think the response of JO-5's daughter was right on the mark.

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2013

Hi everyone,

I can't express the gratitude I have for each of you here.  God is really using you all to work in my life in ways I can't begin to tell you.  It amazes me at how I can be studying something during the week and find it so encouraging when I come here and see I am not alone in this journey.  Even a greater journey than cancer is the journey of this life and being conformed to Christ's image.

My memory verse for this week is Ephesians 4:32.  Be kind to one another tender-hearted forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

Just before that in chapter 4 you read about anger.  I think we all have difficult people in our life.  I have a very challenging neighbor that I have not always handled so well. It's not just conversations that I have to deal with but behaviors that he has displayed that are just evil.  I have always responded kindly to him in conversation even when he has tried to provoke me to anger (at least it seemed to be his intent).  I have been thankful I have behaved in that way but just recently realized that doesn't please God at all.  Sure he doesn't want me to respond in a bad way but He knows my heart and my actions didn't reflect my heart just as someone's actions that are kind and loving toward a person while they are denying Christ.

In my heart I saw myself as someone much better than this person thinking I would never act in such a way.  If I really searched my heart I would see that there would be pride in how I handled it.  I wasn't seeing this person's brokeness and the only concern I had for them was how to minimize the way they inconvenience me. I have considered him as someone who reflects how I am doing with loving my enemies but not until recently thought about all the other issues. 

This was presented to me this weekend:

Types of Anger

1. Godly/Righteous Indignation - To be troubled or disgusted in attitude or action as a result of someone disgracing God or disregarding His Holy Laws (John 2:12-17; Ephesians 4:26-27, Mark 3:5, 10:14, Exodus 32:1-30, Jeremiah 15:17, Nehemiah 5:1-13, 2 Kings 13:14-19)

2. Worldy/Anger of Man - to have ungodly attitudes and actions as a result of some perceived need, desire, or personal preference/standard not being met by someone or being offended b someone (1Samuel 18:6-8, 20:24-34, James 1:19-20, 4:1-2, Ephesians 4:31-32, Numbers 20:1-13)

Key point: Godly Anger or Righteous Indignation is the exception to the rule.  Generally, when people are angry it has nothing to do with someone disgracing God or disregarding His Holy Laws.  Therefore, most of the time when people are angry it is generally worldly/anger of man.  They received something that they did not want or they did not receive what they wanted.  As a result, ungodly attitudes and actions begin to manifest.  Instead of being thankful to God for how He will use the situation or accepting what God has allowed in the situation they become negative and ungodly in thoughts, words, actions, and relational patterns.

All this was quoted from Dr. Nicolas Ellen.  It is from one of the workshops I attended this weekend.  It was so convicting.

This brings me to a prayer request.  My husband will be home for 2 months.  He is coming arriving Saturday.  Please keep me in your prayers.  It can be difficult for me to transition to him being here and I also find myself becoming angry easily.  I used to say frustrated but it was also pointed out how we like to minimize our sin with words like frustrated, aggitated and annoyed, because they sound better than angry.  It's hard to deal with everything yourself and then have someone come in and then take on the role as helper when you've had to be the leader.

I do have some resentment because I didn't feel like the job he took was necessary at the time he took it and I don't think I've been very forgiving...ok...I haven't been very forgiving of that. He has been away for the most part of the past 5 years.  Now he is searching for other work but it hasn't been easy to find and the position he left to take this job is no longer an option to go back to.

It is so hard to look honestly at the condition of our hearts.  I see so much I don't like but there was a time I didn't see as much.  I would look at others and think I'm doing alright.  The more I learn about scripture, the more I see how short I fall and also how much greater God's grace is.  I can see even as a believer I have been bigger and God smaller in my life.  I am thankful He is becoming bigger and I am becoming smaller.

All the things I would have wanted to never have to deal with are the things that He has used in conjuction with His Word to make Him bigger.

So, please pray that I would be forgiving, patient, basically live out Eph 4:32 but not only live it out; please pray that my heart would be conformed to it and that it would come from that changed heart and not just from knowing it is what I need to do. I ask this with tears because I know how much I have been forgiven and I am so amazed that a Holy God would love such a sinner as me.

Thanks so much for listening and all the ways you all encourage me.

I love you all!

• fondak
    edited April 2013

Jo5  I have to tell you this real quick...Your post brought me the biggest smile.  I was washing dishes and was thinking of you all and how wonderful it would be to all be able to visit together and then I thought there will be a day when we will do that and it will come without all the burdens to share but with rejoicing together in all the Christ has done.  Then I read your post!   I just thought that was pretty neat!

• Mini1
    edited April 2013

I had a toxic employee and ignoring her was not an option. I would be polite and fair to her, but would go home full of turmoil. I did this for months, until I literally made myself sick. I felt I was in a battle all the time. God finally got it through my thick head that the only one I was hurting by allowing her to have this effect on me was me. From that point on I decided to pray for her.

It was hard at first not to pray that God change her and make her less evil. :-) Instead I started praying, genuinely, that God bless her. I would like to say that she saw the light and our frienship was restored, but that was not the case; although she did pull in the reins a bit. What did happen though, was that my animosity toward her started to wain, and I didn't spend my time-time I would never get back-trying to figure out why she was doing what she was doing. I had to remind myself often not to fall back into old patterns of resentment and anger, but I can honestly say that the only feelings I have towards her now is sadness that the situation became what it did, and hopefulness that she will, in time, see things clearly. I was genuinely happy for her when she got married, and now as her daughter is getting married. She may still hate me, but that's her burden to carry, not mine. God is good!

• Kindergarten
    edited April 2013

Dearest Fondak, I am lifting you up in prayer right now as you and your husband reunite for 2 months and that blessings flow during this time!! You are such a kind , lovely and Godly woman!! Wow, I have not used the word Godly, but I heard it on the Bible Story, and I thought what a wonderful adjective to use to describe someone who truly exemplifies Christianty and you certainly do!! All of you wonderful ladies here do!!!

Jo-5, I sure would love if we could meet sometime in person!!!

Mini1 I also say Amen to your wonderful post!!!

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited April 2013

Amen to all these fabulous posts. Fondak I have been praying for your relationship all along. Your heart is right and God will bless your obedience to His Word.

As for difficult people, my DH always reminds me that they are made in the image of God. Boy that stops me up short! He is a wise husband and loves the Lord. I am blessed!

I will rejoice when we all meet one day face to face in eternity. Won't that be cool?

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited April 2013

To all of you. I am so edified to read of women with affllictions, still  glorifying the Lord. It emboldens me to just remember to ASK SEEK Knock, do not complain and keep Trusting, All of our trials are light and momentary, (even if they do not seem so) Please pray for my son and DIL, still a painful separation and my miracle grand daughter is seeing it all. Thanks so muchCry

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited April 2013

JO-5, first, I'm sorry you are dealing with back pain on top of everything else. What beautiful lyrics! I have been reminding myself that His ways are not our ways so why do I think I should understand everything? Thank you for sharing that beautiful visual of our Lord and God bless you and encourage you.

Jeannie

• Kindergarten
    edited April 2013

Dearest bestock!! You have so much on your plate right now!! I am lifting you up in prayer, knowing Our Lord is right beside you, feeling your pain!! He will not forsake you!!! You are such a faithful servant!! I am lifting your DIL, son and granddaughter up in prayer as well!!

Jo-5!!! Thank you for the beautiful songs!! You uplift us despite your pain!!! Thank you!!! May your pain subside soon!! You are such a faithful servant as well!! May you feel God's healing hands soon!!!!

Hugs to all here!!!! Kathy

• Mini1
    edited April 2013

Lots of blessings and encouragement Jo-5. I need it. Thank you for sharing. I'm sure the rest of the ladies have been blessed as well.

Night all.

• fondak
    edited April 2013

Bestock,  I'm praying for restoration for your son's family. Please keep us posted as you can and thank you for sharing that so we can be praying for them and you.

Mini, I love what you said about your coworker.  It amazes me how we can actually, genuinely love those who are so difficult.  It is surely against what is natural for us apart from Christ.

Rocket and Kindergarten, thank you so much for your continued prayers for me.  It is such a comfort.

Jo5, Thanks for sharing those beautiful lyrics.  What a much needed wonderful reminder of God at work in our lives.

• fondak
    edited April 2013

A few hours ago I was in Wal Mart.  They sent us to the back of the store.  Hail came and shortly after a horrible sounding roar passed over us.  Thankfully, it passed above us and didn't touch the ground.

It was a horrible feeling hearing that and knowing my sons were only a couple of miles from there.   I have grown up in the South and never heard anything like it. I'm so thankful.  It could have so easily been so much worse.  Everyday is such a blessing.

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2013

Fondak, so glad you and your family are okay!

• ChristineO
    ChristineO Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2013

Thank you so much ladies for encouraging me when I was feeling so low.  I was so encouraged!  

Today I went for the first "fill" ugh.  I told the Dr. that I only wanted a small amount though as i am not wanting to be very big (as I was a 34 DDDD before, I'd like to be a full C this time)  I feel a pinching or needle type of pain again (it had subsided in the last 4 days) under my left arm...could that possibly be b/c of the lymph node? Also is it normal to have some of the stitches showing?  where you can feel them?  :(    

I cant remember if I told you but my pathology report came back and my sentinal node was clear! and there was no more sign of DCIS! Thanking the Lord.

• Kindergarten
    edited April 2013

Dear Fondak, so glad that you are all safe! Falling hail, sounds so scary! We had hail storms in the MidWest!!!!

• Rocket
    edited April 2013

Wonderful news Christine! So happy the sentinel node was clear!

Fondak, so happy you and your sons are safe! Wow that must have been scary!

Bestock your attitude is so inspiring. Hang in there!

Praying that all you ladies are doing okay.

• CCFW
    CCFW Member Posts: 570
    edited February 2014

del

• Rocket
    edited April 2013

Hey Jo,

D3 - 5,000 IU once in the AM per onc instructions

Omega 3 - 1,000 mg twice daily AM, PM

Vitamin C - 500 mg once in the AM (supposedly helps with joint pain)

Calcium Citrate - 630 mg once in the PM per onc Instructions

CoQ10 - 200 mg once in the PM (because I take a statin medication)

Magnesium - 500 mg once in the PM per cardiologist instructions

Aspirin - 81 mg once in the AM per cardiologist instructions

Hope this helps.

• Rocket
    edited April 2013

Forgot to add that my D3 level is finally up to 77 after taking the D3 at 5,000 IUs per day for three years.

• Rocket
    edited April 2013

Yes Jo, my fish oil is in the form of capsules that have liquid fish oil inside them.  I take 2,000 mg per day - 1,00 mg in the morning and 1,000 mg at night.  I was surprised how long it took my vitamin D to reach 77.  The last time it was checked was about two months ago, and it was about the same as it was three months prior to that, so the 5,000 IUs I have been taking have finally brought it to 77 and kept it there.  I have been supplementing for three years and my level has been checked every three months for those three years. Maybe my level will increase a bit more now that I am able to get outside.

• Kindergarten
    edited April 2013

Jo-5, my vitamin d level was low again, so I have just started taking 50,000 units of vitamin d2 once a week!!

• Kindergarten
    edited April 2013

Dear Jo-5, I know, this Vitamin D3 issue can be frustrating. Here, I live in CA now, with lots of Sunshine and my levels are still low. Yikes. Hey, we will figure it out, right? God bless you and enjoy church this morning, and we are off there as well. Kathy

• snrise
    snrise Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2013

A Devotional from Ray Stedman...

The LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being (Genesis 2:7).

Here is a wonderfully condensed account of some tremendously significant things. I do not think we need to quibble over just how God formed the body of man. Did He pile dirt together, wet it with water to make a kind of a mud statue, and then breathe life into it? No one knows. Certainly when we consider the miracle of conception and birth, we need not ask about the ability of God to make man in His own remarkable way. Perhaps the event occurred along the line of the development of birth. I do not think we need to be concerned over some of the questions that people in the past have beat each other over the head with. Whether Adam had a navel is of little significance. What we are told here is that there are three divisions of man.

God first made the body of man, and He made it of the dust of the earth. Certainly it is true that the same elements that are found in the dust of the ground are found also in the body of humans. It is shown to be a fact, because it is to dust that we return.

We may not fully understand all that is involved in these pregnant sentences about the formation of man's body, but it is important to notice that though the body of man was evidently formed first, the text does not say the body but rather God formed man from the dust of the ground(italics added). I think that has significance. Man is more than a body. He is not merely an animated piece of beef steak, a hunk of meat with a nervous system. He is more than body; he is soul as well as body. The functions of the soul are wonderfully linked to those of the body in ways that we have not even begun to fathom.

For instance, the functions of the soul (largely reason, emotion, and will), are also functions of our physical life. Reason is related to the brain, for it is only as the brain operates that reason occurs. Glands have great power over our emotional life. Thus, the functions of the soul are tied most remarkably to the body, and no one fully understands the mystery of it. In the forming of man, God made body and soul together, with the capacities for function of the soul lying dormant within the body of man.

Then, into this body with an inactive soul, He breathed a living spirit through the nostrils. The phrase breath of life in the Hebrew means a spirit of life. The word for breath and spirit are the same, so that this is more than simply a picture of God's breathing into man's nostrils. This is not face-to-face resuscitation; it is the impartation of a spirit into man. The spirit is our essential nature. It is this that distinguishes man so remarkably from the animal creation. Thus, as man comes into being, he comes full-orbed, as a threefold being, existing in body, soul, and spirit.

I praise you, Lord, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made!

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2013

Congrats, JO-5, on losing 7 lbs!

• Jeannie57
    edited April 2013

Ugh, JO-5, I know what you mean about the weather. We've been having rain, hail, thunder and even snow further north. Then the sun will come out but only for a brief time. I look forward to walks, my favorite exercise. No weight loss here. I guess I'll just be this "grandmotherly" size.

I hope the extra D and fish oil doesn't make you sick and you can figure out a combo that works.

Blessings,

Jeannie

• snrise
    snrise Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2013

JO-5..

I am new to this site...was looking for a christian place...and Iam so glad to read all these posts. My Chemo sarts on the 25th, taking all my fear to the LORD....