Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited March 2013

Dear Rocket, I hope it helps to know that we are praying for you and your mom! I hope you get some rest and feel better. Please take deep breaths and take good care of yourself.

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited March 2013

Thank you all! I will be so much more relaxed after Mom passes that evaluation tomorrow. Then she can move in and I can leave her knowing that she is in a good place. It will give me some closure on this chapter of my life. I'll be headed back here next month as we will have the buriel service for my DH's brother and will see her again. I would really just like a low stress year for a change. I admit that I do envy people that seem to have few challenges until I remember that those challenges are what God uses to make us more like His Son.

Well I have to go and give Mom a shower and her meds. Thank you all so much for the prayers. It does encourage me greatly.

• ChristineO
    ChristineO Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2013

Hi ladies, I'm back from hospital as of yesterday.  I ended up being there for 6 days.  7 if you count the first night in hotel after my sentinal node mapping (we stayed in as we had to be there for 6 am).  I had the double mast. and the expanders/reconstruction.  Pain!!!!  Oh my goodness the pain.  I had morphine and pecaset in hospital and the pain was like a fish hook stuck in my chest that someone was yanking on.  I switched to Tramadol and advil the last day or two.  Still the pain is so bad.  It feels like I have an underwire bra on that is being pulled so, so tight against my chest.  I wonder, have you experienced this?  Does it get better?  

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited March 2013

Rocket, I'm so sorry to hear it has been such a challenge getting your mom settled in.  I will be praying for you and your mom regarding her evaluation tomorrow.  I know what it's like to be weary.   I am so thankful for how you have supported me in those times.  You almost have a lot behind you.

Kindergarten,  I am so thankful God has brought us together in our journey! It's one of the ways He brings me comfort! I want to check out the book your group is studying. Is it written for a group or will it work well for an individual study?  It sounds wonderful!

Jeannie....You gave me a good laugh with the "driven" to God!

Jo5....I'm so glad to know you understand my southern lingo!  My son took drum lessons from Cliff Davies, Ted Nugent's drummer and songwriter/producer.  He came to Michigan from Great Britian and then to Miami and ended working in Atlanta and living in a suburb of Atlanta and befriending me from rural Georgia! Several different versions of English there.  It took us awhile to understand parts of our conversation.  I remember him telling me about his gotin by the crick he was working in.  I finally got garden and then I knew he thought I was understanding him but had no idea how to respond so I just smiled.  Honestly, at first I wasn't crazy about him was just trying to be polite.  Another day he was talking about it and I finally asked..what is a crick.   I was thinking a pain from working, a hoe, what????  He went on explaining it runs and I'm thinking.......a critter?  Finally, I got it when he mentioned water running along.  I said....Oh! A creek!  He was like....a creek?    It was so funny. 

It took awhile but he grew on me.  I miss the guy.  He committed suicide. It will be 5 years ago this month.  It was just 3 months after my dad died unexpectedly.  The next to last time I saw him he was telling me he wished his wife had my faith.  I was sitting in my car and he was at my window and I cut my eyes up at him because he didn't believe in God at all.  He said...I know, I know and went back through his history and how he knows why he doesn't believe but she has no idea about what to believe. I thought that was pretty interesting that he wanted her to believe in the God that he said he didn't believe in.  He was real worried about her if something happened to him.  It still breaks my heart when I think of that conversation.  By the world's standards he had seen the best it had to offer and it failed him.  We are surely rich beyond measure as children of God.

Mini....Thanks for your prayers.  How is your nephew? 

CCFW...Congratulations on your driving!  You go girl!

Bestock...Thinking of you and praying!

Love you Patoo!

Love you all and hope you have a good restful night!  Praying for all you ladies here and your families. 

• curveball
    curveball Member Posts: 1,583
    edited March 2013

I haven't been on this thread before, but I have a question I would like to put before some fellow-Christians. I'm 57, and will be retiring soon from 28 years working for City government. One of the steps in retiring is choosing which of several pension options to take. In the past, I only considered two of these seriously: the un-adjusted, or "straight" benefit I qualify for based on years of service/highest salary, and an option that pays about 20% less in pension benefit, but also includes a lump sum payment, which I would use to buy an annuity to make up some of the loss in pension income. I'm leaning toward this second option, because our pension system, like many others, is severely underfunded. If I took the un-adjusted benefit and anything happened to the pension system that caused a reduction in either benefits or the cost of living adjustment, it would be very bad for me financially speaking, because such a large proportion of my income would be affected.

One of the other options pays a higher monthly benefit now, and less after Social Security retirement age. The intention is to keep total income the same before and after Social Security eligibility. Earlier on, I had rejected this option, because of the way the cost of living allowance would be affected, especially over a retirement of 25 or 30 years, which at the time I expected mine would be. However, last month, I was diagnosed as stage IV with liver mets, which means a drastic change in my expectations. Yesterday, it occurred to me that taking this option would boost my pension income by over 25% until full SS retirement age of 66 years, 4 months (which with this dx is probably the rest of my life). It can also be combined with the lump-sum payment, with the net result of raising my monthly pension higher (until 66+4) than the "straight" benefit, plus the same lump sum payment as above.

Very shortly after I thought of this third possibility, a verse came to mind, which I think is pointing me in the direction I should take on this choice, but I'd like to get some confirmation, so I'll ask all of you--what verses or scriptural principles do you see that apply to my decision?

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited March 2013

Christine, so good to hear from you. What a long hospital stay! I am sorry you are in such pain. Yes, it definitely gets better. I have had my expanders for almost a year! I forget about them most of the time. Sometimes when I'm in the shower, though, I think I have forgotten to take off my bra because I feel the band under my foobs (fake boobs)! I will be glad to exchange them in July for my own tissue from DIEP surgery. The first couple of weeks are the hardest. Then it should start to feel better for you. My prescription: get lots of rest (on your back), eat healthy and take walks when you can. Do arm stretching exercises when your doctor gives the okay. You are going to be all right!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2013

Dear Christine, so glad to hear from you and glad that your surgery is over!!! I am sorry that you are experiencing so much pain!!! Please contact your doctor if it continues! Please know that you are covered in prayer!! I did have the double mastectomy but not the reconstruction, so my pain was minimal. I hope you feel better soon!!! Hugs and Blessings, Kathy

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Oops, Christine!!! I just read Jeannie's post. She has great advice!! Feel better soon!!!

• fondak
    edited March 2013

Christine,  I missed your posts too.  I know yours was an hour after my post but I started mine before yours went through!  That's pretty telling of how sidetracked I can get.  

I'm sorry to hear of all the pain you are in.  I haven't had reconstruction but I will be praying for your pain and healing. 

Thanks for letting us know and please keep us posted on your progress when you are able.

• fondak
    edited March 2013

Rocket,  Praying for you today.  I'm also praying for your mom, those that will be involved in the evaluation and your husband because I know he's missing you every bit as much as you are him.  I look forward to hearing how it goes.

• fondak
    edited March 2013

Curveball,  I'm glad you came here.  It is so encouraging to see someone considering God's word when making a decision.  As believers, it should be our way of life but so often we make our plans and then turn to God when we mess up.  We're a lot like toddlers that way but thankfully by God's grace we can grow to be more like Christ and it is often those messes that bring us to that.

I honestly couldn't advise you in any of the details of your question but I can say in everything do what brings Christ the most glory, for that should be our desire above all.  In this case there may not be a clear cut answer as to which would do that..................... Still....the bible does have answers for everything!!!

A good decision is made with multiple wise advisers.  The more crucial the decision the more appropriate is corporate wisdom.  (This was in my study bible's notes.) And I am triple checking for typos but please verify I typed all the scripture out correctly.

Looking at Proverbs 15:22...Without consultation, plans are frustrated, But with many counselors they succeed.

Proverbs 11:14 Where there is no guidance the people fall, But in abundance of counselors there is victory.

Proverbs 20:18   Prepare plans by consultation, And make war by wise guidance.

Proverbs 24:6 For by wise guidance you will wage war, And in abundance of counselors there is victory.

However, before anything I would seek God first through prayer which you probably have done already but I hope you find this encouraging. (Notice v.6-8 many will quote 5 without the rest)

James 1:5-8 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all generously and without reproach and it will be given to him. 6 But he must ask in faith without doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that man ought not to expect that the he will receive anything from the Lord 8 being a double minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Proverbs 2:1-8 I italized the first verbs and put "then" in bold...

1 My son, if you will receive my words And treasure my commandments within you, 2 Make your ear attentive to wisdom, incline your heart to understanding; 3 For if you cry for discernment, Lift your voice for understanding; 4 If you seek her as silver And search for her as for hidden treasures; 5 Then you will discern the fear of the Lord And discover the knowledge of God. 6 For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. 7 He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk in integrity. 8 Guarding the paths of justice, And He preserves the way of His godly ones.

Proverbs 16:9 was very encouraging to me when I wrecked on the way to my doctors appointment and I hope it comforts you as you try to make this big decision.  Not that you are going to wreck...haha.  I just thought of how that sounds.  But even when we don't make the best of plans or things don't go as we planned we can take comfort in God faithfulness to complete the work He started in us. (Paul in Philippians 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.)

Proverbs 16:9  The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. 

We can plan all we want but the Lord overrules the plan of men to fulfill His purposes.  In that we can give thanks because we know that for those of us who belong to Him Romans 8:28-29 is true....28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;

Can you ask your pastor to direct you to someone who is knowledgeable in these areas who could advise you?  Perhaps you could also look up Crown Financial Ministries.  It's www.crown.org .   I don't know if you're familar with them but they have an incredible ministry and maybe you can call and they could give you some direction as well. 

Congratulations on your retirement!  What a blessing!  Please let us know how things go.  It is my prayer for you that as it is written in 2 Peter 3:18...but grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity.  Amen

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited March 2013

Rocket - I am thinking of you. I worked with seniors for years and I know how hard it can be; especially when it's been less than a smooth transition. Just trust in God and know that in a short while this will all be a distant memory.

I go for my 1 year mammo on Monday and my 1 yr appt. the following week. Say a prayer that it will all be clear and good. Also my blood work. My pancreas has been cranky so I'm praying that my numbers are not out of line. The last time they were elevated I had to take an Rx that was $5k a month (PTL for ins) and I had to take 18 pills a day. I also don't want to have a CT scan!

Let us hold unswervingly to that we profess, for He who promised is faithful.
    Heb 10:23

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2013

Hi all.  Just quickly before I leave work to say hello and know that I am thinking about you all.  Have Good Friday service tonight and will keep you all in prayer.  (yes, I have the problem with night vision and usually only drive at night in familiar places and, if too far and it's raining, don't go at all)

fondak - great news about your tests - our Lord is AWESOME.

ChirstineO, Rocket - hoping all going well with your 'current' stressors.

Everybody, praise God - this is Resurrection Weekend.  Amen!

• Rocket
    edited March 2013

Hello Ladies,

God has helped us so much with Mom. She is in her new apartment at the assisted living facility and loving it. We didn't even cry when we said goodbye this evening. She knows I will be back in a month, but her sons are here to take care of her too. I can't begin to tell you how relieved I am. I can now fly home tomorrow with a good conscience knowing that she is content and happy. Thank each and every one of you for praying about this situation. I do believe that prayer works, and I am so blessed to have each of you in my life. Have a blessed Easter everyone. I continue to pray for your concerns.

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    edited March 2013

Rocket:

Join you with a BIG THANK YOU GOD!!!!.  He never lets us down..

Vickie

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Amen, Vickie!!!!

• patoo
    edited March 2013

YAY Rocket.  Our God is AWESOME. 

Thought of each of you during Good Friday services this evening.  Wonderful service remembering the great sacrifice our Lord made for each of us.  So very humbling.  I so much love the Lord.

Blessings.

• fondak
    edited March 2013

Rocket, I am so glad to hear you news.  What a wonderful blessing to head home with that parting!  I am relieved your relieved.  God is amazing how He was even at work in your goodbye.

Patoo, What a wonderful way to spend this evening.  Thank you for your faithfulness to prayer and remember us.

Mini, I will be praying for your one year visit and mammogram Monday.

Love you all!

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Love, Blessings and Joy to all my Fellow Sisters in Christ!! Happy Ressurection Day!!! Kathy

• curveball
    curveball Member Posts: 1,583
    edited March 2013

the Lord is Risen!!!

• ChristineO
    ChristineO Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2013

Hi Ladies, hope you are all having a wonderful Easter!  I am at home still recovering (with two drains still in...this long weekend has sort of messed with that as i'm sure they should be out).  Do you know if this can cause problems if left in too long?  Did any of you have very sensitive upper arms near your armpit?  If I touch my skin up there near my armpit and a bit in that area it feels numb but also a bit sunburned or something.  I was in extreme pain when I came home for a couple of days so I finally decided to try Robax (a muscle relaxant) as I'd seen others mention they'd taken a muscle rel.  for recovery though when  I asked my Dr. (PS) about taking a muscle relaxant while in hospital but he brushed me off...not sure what he said but basically no.  It has seemed to help me but at the same time I am wondering if I shouldnt be since my PS said no.  I usually follow the rules but i was in such bad shape.  Also when I phoned my nurse navigator the other day she seemed to think I'd had implants put in not expanders!  That really confuses me also.  I dont remember signing anything for that.  I hope  these arent the implants as I am not comfortable at all.  I feel so tight and it is hard to breathe deeply.  

• patoo
    edited March 2013

ChristineO, sorry you are feeling badly.  Sorry I only had lumpectomy so cannot answer and many of our sisters may not be on today.  I do know that at times our docs also don't quite know and may brush aside our questions rather than saying they don't know!  It's a long weekend, so don't beat yourself up because of the muscle relaxer.  Sometimes we just have to do what we feel best and leave the rest to our Lord - who has risen today - praise Him!

Hope everyone is enjoying the day.

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Dearest ChristineO!!! Happy Easter to you, and I am so sorry that you have experienced so much pain!! I had the drains too, and I had pain the first day, but I can not remember how long it lasted. I do remember the visiting nurse coming to our home and she showed my hubby how to handle the drains!! The extra fluid can cause swelling, hence the pain you might be feeling!!! I sure hope you feel better soon, but don't hesitate to call doctor if pain worsens!!! Prayers are coming your way!!

Hi, Patoo!!! I hope you have a Very Blessed Day!! Our Church Choir sang beautifully today!!!!!! Enjoy the rest of your day!!!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited April 2013

Good Morning, Jo-5 and All here!!! I hope everyone had a Wonderful Easter with families and friends. It was a beautiful day. Blessings to you all. Kathy

• Rocket
    edited April 2013

Hi Everyone,

I have been completely exhausted since I returned from Maine. I have had tons of paperwork to do and that's what I've been catching up on. I have to change all of Mom's addresses for her insurance, etc. I also had all of my own mail, bills, etc to take care of. I'm still not done with all the paperwork. I finished laundry today, washed one of the dogs (Murray), dusted the downstairs, and made a nice dinner for my DH. Tonight I'm going to get off of my sore foot and rest. Mentally I am at such oracle knowing that my mom is happy and giving God the glory for her new home. What a blessing it is to know that her income will cover all of her expenses now. It's such a huge relief that I don't have to beg family members to contribute.

I am looking forward to my DS, DIL and Erin coming Thursday through Sunday this week. I can't wait to hold my precious granddaughter again! She is almost walking.

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter. I slept late Easter morning as we got home late from the airport the night before. I so needed the sleep. I still felt exhausted the entire day, and haven't fully recovered. The next two months will be very hectic with visitors and another trip to Maine to bury my DH's brother. I start back to PT next week and really need it.

Have a great evening everyone and know that I'm praying for you.

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited April 2013

I am exhaused too, I have been since Sunday, chemo (Friday) kicked me this time. I found out my insurance will not cover my neupogen, which I need, Undecided any suggestions.

• Kindergarten
    edited April 2013

Dearest Bestock! I am so sorry that your insurance company is denying coverage!! I don't have the answer, but I am sure someone will come along with some advice. Also you could contact the Moderators of this board!! They are very helpful! God Bless you, you are in my prayers daily!!!!!

• CCFW
    CCFW Member Posts: 570
    edited February 2014

del

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited April 2013

Thanks CCFW and Kindergarten, I think my dr appealed the decision, it appears to  have been paid. I feel much better today, but took milk of magnesium, and it does not agree with me but the only thing that works.

thanks for prayers, I do not feel alone or "stricken" with cancer,( I felt stricken yesterday, but now have an attitude to fight and trust..).... because I have a wonderful Father that Loves me so, and has planned this path. Still looking for a miracle. Innocent

• Kindergarten
    edited April 2013

Dear bestock, Good news, that they paid for the shots! With your positive attitude and strong faith, your miracle will happen!!! God Bless You!!!!