Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2013

Bestock - that is great news.  We serve an AWESOME God.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2013

Dear bestock, Praise The Lord for no brain mets!!! Prayers also for your counts to rise!! Thank you, Jeannie, I am smiling right back at you!!! Patoo, I also,procrastinate!! Prayers are coming that all your exams, bloodwork and tests come back just fine!!! Hugs and Blessings to you all!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited March 2013

Oh, Bestock, I am so happy and relieved for you, that you don't have to fight cancer on that front, too. Thank you for sharing your news with us!

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited March 2013

Bestock,

I am so thankful and so happy to hear the news.  You have been in my thoughts and prayers since I found out you were going to have the mri.  I will continue to pray for you as you go through treatment. 

I loved hearing about the lady in your support group.  I can't imagine her life without mets caring for her daughter and with her work load.  I also love how God sends us encouragement along the way and I'm sure that's just what He was doing as she came into your life just as He is doing with us bring you to this board!

Rocket,

I thankful you are feeling better.  I admire the way you care for your mom.  I can't say I know how difficult that is as my mom's health is good but I do know it must be very hard.  I've had you on my heart and in my prayers as well.  I can totally relate to what you said about giving up control.  It's one of the things I've been working on and it's so hard for me but I'm learning I really don't have any control to start with.  I know you know God's in control but I know what you are saying at the same time.  It's late...I hope that makes sense.  In a way we are at a similar place in life but with different generations in our lives.  I am making shifts to my sons who will be moving out as soon as they can afford to...which is something they are working on.  I still have a responsibility but my influence in their lives is shifting.  I would love for them to stay here until they get married and actually I wouldn't mind building a garage/apartment for one and finishing the basement for the other when that happened but I know this is something they need to do.  They really want to be closer to the church for time sake and the fatigue the distance brings with their schedules.  As I'm praying for you regarding this transition please know I can sort of relate.

Will you be seeing Erin soon?  I was thinking so but I'm not sure.  Also, didn't you have a bone scan recently?  I know you have been through so much I may be getting confused but I feel pretty sure that is one of the things we were praying about for you.

Jeannie,

I'm always so glad to see your posts.  I was thinking as I am typing this how sick you were not so long ago.  I'm so thankful we got to pray for you through that and see God at work there and in your husband's job.  Looking back it was so perfect with how God made a way for him to be with you through those tough days.  He has used your life to remind me how He sees everything and is always at work even when we think we know what is best (like a job).  Some times we may not get to see it here but it's true for us who are His all the same.

Oh, thank you for asking about the lump.  I forgot about that with the surprise bone scan coming up!  She felt it and said that it wasn't a concern for her.  She said it moved around too much.  I see my surgeon next week so I'll ask him too but I feel like it's nothing.  I'm always a little cautious there because my gyn said the same thing about the cancerous one but it did feel different to me.  I've had so many benign tumors removed...8 actually and then quite a few biopsy's on top of that but now they all are suspicious to me!

It's so nice to hear about your time with your husband.  I love being close to the water whether it's a lake, waterfall, creek or the ocean.  It's very calming to me.  Where you stayed sounds amazing!  My mom takes tamoxifen and she couldn't even tell a difference except for a few hot flashes when she first started.  Now she said the only thing is her hair is not as shiny and it's thinner but she's using some shampoo that makes her hair look great.  I hope you will do as well. 

Patoo, Thank you for your encouragement.  I always look forward to what your post will say.  I love how you continually point us to Christ.  I hope you upcoming appointment goes well.  How often do you have to go?  Is is close to you?  Mine is only 30-35 minutes.  I'm like you with my other appointments.  I hate to even think about a dentist visit.

Mini,  Congratulations on a year!  I know you are glad to have that behind you.

Jo5, Thanks for stopping by in the midst of all that's going on and letting us know how your mammogram went.  I'm so thankful.

Kindergarten,  I am sending you the notes. I just haven't been home much yesterday or today.  I have a couple of other friends that wanted a copy too so I'll do that tomorrow.  Sorry about that.  Will you be seeing your sweet granddaughter for Easter?  Once again, thank you for your prayers and encouragement.

Love you all!

• fondak
    edited March 2013

I just wanted to share with you all the news I heard tonight at the bible study I attend.  There was a man who attended before I started so I've never met him.  He has had stage 4 cancer for some time and was told he didn't have long at all.  He continued to decline in health and it was looking like the doctors prognosis was playing out.

This week he went to his appointment and the doctors couldn't find any sign of cancer anywhere.  I found that to be very encouraging.  I know it's not always that way for everyone but it encourages me because I am reminded that even the most invasive cancer doesn't rule over our sovereign God.  It's all in His time and not a minute sooner or later.  That ulimately brings me such comfort.  Sometimes not as quickly as I like; especially when I lose focus of heavenly things which can be easy to do at times.

Goodnight everyone.

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Dear Fondak, please no hurry for the notes!!! You have alot going on right now! I just appreciate that you would share them with me! What a wonderful story about the man with Stage 4 cancer!! We are all in God's Hands and Only He knows when we are going home!! Thank you for sharing! We were with Lily tonight and I am hosting Easter dinner, so we will get to see Lily!! May you have a Very Blessed Easter!!! Hugs and Blessings!!!

• patoo
    edited March 2013

Blessings everyone.  I am always wondrous to see a long post directed individually.  Perhaps when I am off this arimidex I will also be able to concentrate and focus on 'details'.  Presently I can only pray for each of the posts as I read them and then do a corporate prayer during my morning and evening devotionals. 

Fondak, my MO is less than 15 mins away and still has me visit him every 6 months.  I expect he may have me come back again in October which will be my 5-year cancerversary and then go only yearly.  However, after my 5 years I may stop with the MO and do a yearly with my BS instead.   I only went to her my first year and have not gone to her since.  We'll see.

Enjoy your weekend friends.

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited March 2013

Yeah, no mets! I'm celebrating my one year dancing at a birthday party! I plan on dancing at my grandson's wedding (he's 3) too!!!!!

• CCFW
    CCFW Member Posts: 570
    edited February 2014

del

• patoo
    edited March 2013

Thanks CC - blessings back to you as well.  Glad you checked in.

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2013

Yay, Mini1! I am so happy and relieved for you! Dancing with you in spirit!

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2013

Christine, just wanted you to know I am praying for you. I hope you are recovering well from your surgery. It gets better, believe me.

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Hi, Christine, Please let us know how you are doing!!!! Hi, Mini, Praise the Lord!!! Hi, Patoo, hope you are having a great weekend!! CC, glad you checked in as well. Nice to see you Jeannie. Rocket and Jo, hope you are both doing well. Fondak, wishing you a great weekend and Hugs to everyone here!!! Kathy

• CCFW
    edited February 2014

del

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Dear CC, I absolutely understand your hesitantcy about driving at night!!! I am the same way!! I just don't see as well at night any more and believe me we are not alone. Most of my friends say the same thing!! We now carpool to meetings or events at night!! That way we always have someone with us when it is our turn to drive. My eye doctor said that as we get older our night vision is compromised! My hubby usually does the driving at night, but when I do drive at night, I stay on lighted streets and drive slowly!! Don't worry, it will be OK! Blessings, Kathy

• fondak
    edited March 2013

My mom is the same way about driving and now I'm getting there too!  Especially in the dark with it raining!

If I may ask everyone to please pray for me tomorrow as I go for the bone scan.  I will meet with the doctor on Tuesday to go over the results. 

Love you all!

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Dearest Fondak, I am lifting you up in prayer right now!!! Please keep us posted. May you feel peace knowing that you are covered in prayer. Blessings, Kathy

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2013

Dear Fondak, praying for you!!!

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited March 2013

Praying dear Fondak. We are flying to Maine today with Mom. We layover in Philadelphia. Please pray for safe journey. Philly is supposed to get snow.

Praying for all you ladies too.

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Rocket and Jo-5, I am lifting you both up in prayer for strength, peace and rest. May blessings flow!

• Mini1
    edited March 2013

I have always had night vision issues, but they were definitely worse during treatment. I started off going only to places that were well lit and very familiar to me. It did get better, but there are just some places I still cannot drive to at night. Country roads especially.

• fondak
    edited March 2013

Thank you all for your prayers.  It is such a comfort to know that others are praying for you.  Speaking of which....

Rocket, I have been praying for you today.  I read your post just before I left.  We actually had flurries here in GA today.  I hope it wasn't bad for you.  I will be so glad when all your mom is settled in and you are settled in back home!  I am also praying for you as you make that adjust.  I know it won't happen just the minute you get back home.  You're a wonderful daughter Rocket.  Your mom is truly blessed.

Jo5, I'm praying for you also.  No energy is tough.  Hopefully the change in weather will be just what you need to be recharged!  My mom takes tamoxifen and she now has cataracts which they say is from the tamoxifen.  I'm glad you were able to stop with the Arimidex.  Aromasin has been a challenge for me to adjust to.  I still have a lot of pain but it's not quiet one year yet so I may still improve a lot.  I'm glad the rest of your blood work was well.  Hope you feel better soon!

Kindergarten and Jeannie....thanks so much for how your prayers and what encouragers you are in my life!

Pattoo, Mini, Bestock, CCFW and all you ladies here, I'm thankful for each of you!

Love and prayers for you all and hopeful you each get a goodnights rest!

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2013

Thinking of you, Fondak!

• fondak
    edited March 2013

Thank you Jeannie!

I got a great report today!  I didn't make it to my appointment because I hit someone just minutes from the doctor's office!  I called to tell them I would try and be there shortly as the police arrived very quickly but I wasn't sure how long it would take.  The doctor called and asked if I was alright and told me the scan was great and it looked as though I never had breast cancer.  She told me to go on home and relax and she would work out my next appointment and have them call me.  Both the other guy and I were fine in the wreck too! 

I did have to stick around for an appointment with my surgeon.  That went well too.  It's the first visit that I've had where he mentioned that he could see getting started on the reconstruction.  That's a whole nother topic.  We say that all the time here in the south but it really looks bad in print.....I guess I should say...another topic in itself.  Oh my....

I may have told you all that my last verse I was working on memorizing is James 1:2-4  Consider it all joy my brethren when you encounter various trials knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete lacking in nothing.

This and my bible study group which has been going through the book Trusting God has just been amazing.  I looked through the sermon archives of one of my favorite pastors and found a  sermon on James 1:2-8 and listened to it a couple of times this past weekend.  It was called God's Righteousness in Affliction.  He explained what the bible says about tests and how they benefit us.  He was saying that the tests that we face are talior made for us and come in the exact time we need them.  I felt extremely calm at the accident to the point I didn't want to frustrate the guy I hit but God has just been showing me so much.  Before cancer I had a lot of fear of the "what if's".  I didn't realize how much of a lack of trust I had in God and how I really have no control over much except my own obedience.  I'm here to say that alone is enough to work on.

The more I learn about God is the more I see how broken I am and how great His grace is.

I love you all here and I'm so thankful for your prayers.  It has been so encouraging knowing you are praying.

Rocket,  I hope all is going well for you and your mom with your travels.

Goodnight ladies....I hope everyone rests well...I know I say that often but it is not just something I say.  I know many of us here have times of stress and also physical pain or discomforts that can make good rest a challenge but it's something I pray for each of you here!

• Jeannie57
    edited March 2013

Such good news, Fondak, about your health! I'm glad you and the other guy are all right, too. God shows us our need of him during trials. It's good to be driven to God---forgive the "driven" in light of your day!

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Hi, Fondak!!!! Praise the Lord, for the great news on your scan and that you and the other driver were not hurt.  Thank you also for the scripture in the Book of James.  My Bible Study is studying the Book:"Living in Grace." It is such a beautiful book that shows us how we can discover that wherever we find Grace, we find compassion, peace and hope. Our Lord put us all on this Breast Cancer Journey for a reason, and in this journey we have found each other here on this thread for support, encouragement, kindness and love.Smile

• Mini1
    edited March 2013

PTL Fondak! I love hearing good news. Thinking and praying for you all.

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited March 2013

Fondak, so glad to hear your good news and I am sorry about your accident, but happy that no one was hurt. I admire your faith. I have been struggling with mine lately.

It was a grueling trip here with our flights being delayed. We were all completely exhausted.

Tomorrow Mom will be evaluated for the needs-based assessment. We thought it would happen sooner, but someone drooped the ball and they didn't get the referral until yesterday. I was freaking out, because I am leaving to go back home on Saturday, instead of trusting the Lord and His wisdom. Please pray that everything goes well tomorrow and that Mom will pass the evaluation. If she doesn't, I just don't know what we will do. We have nowhere to take her if this doesn't work out. I am going to trust that God will protect her and she will get into the facility.

I am very tired and emotionally exhausted. I so need to go home. It's been over two weeks since I've seen my DH. I miss him terribly.

Love all you ladies and keep you in my prayers.

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Dearest Rocket, prayers and more prayers are coming your way!!! There is an end in sight for this challenging journey, and a new beginning for your dear Mom!!! Our Lord is with you every step of the way. May your Easter be filled with many Blessings, Peace and much needed rest!!! In His Precious Name! Love and Hugs, Kathy

• CCFW
    edited February 2014

del