Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited August 2013

Oh, Vickie, so sorry to hear this news. I have three grown daughters. They are always our little girls! I pray the chemo will kill every last cancer cell in her body and that the SEs will be manageable.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2013

Dear Vickie!! I am lifting your dear daughter up in prayer right now!! Please keep us posted!! May you all feel God's healing hands!!!

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited August 2013

Praying for you dear daughter Vickie. I'm so sorry you are all going through this. Please keep us posted.

• Granna1948
    Granna1948 Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2013

Vickie, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. Prayers are surrounding her, you, and the rest of your family.

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited August 2013

Vicks1960 You will be prayed for..... and your daughter, she must be really young, my heart goes out to her. May the Lord's peace reign in her heart...

I am a stage 4 ovarian cancer survivor 10 years out. I BELIEVE, now have stage 4 BC..still trusting.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2013

Vicki, prayers going up for DD.  When we are under attack we somehow get through but mess with our kids and it's WAR!  Rocket, will keep you in my prayers for your scans and finding a new PCD.  Carolyn, yes our Lord does answer prayer.  HE is Awesome!  MileHigh, Kindergarten, bestock, Jeannie, Granna, JO-5, everyone - I am also sending up prayers to cover those things unspoken.

Also want to welcome, should she find us, cynthiaintx, who is just starting her journey but, hopefully, will receive B9 news this coming week.  One of her first posts in the 'Just Diagnosed' thread was to inquiry about a faith-based forum.  I think that is so very special - God comes first even in extremely trying times.  Precious!

"For we walk by faith, not by sight"  -- 2 Corinthians 5:7

• milehighgirl
    milehighgirl Member Posts: 397
    edited August 2013

Jeannie, thank you (and all) so much for your prayers.  And Vickie, it goes without saying that a good part of my early morning has been spent praying over your daughter and lifting up all of us on this forum.  We are not in this fight alone.  You're right patoo, it's time for warfare prayer.  Why is Satan attacking so hard right now?  Because he hates the sound of praise and knows we will not turn from our God no matter how rough the waters get.  He's carrying us through.  Praise and blessings.

Sue

• Kindergarten
    edited August 2013

Amen, MilehighGirl!!!!

• cynthiaintx
    cynthiaintx Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2013

Hello ladies! (Or maybe I should say, Howdy!)  Patoo invited me over, and I'm so glad she did!  I was really hoping for a Christian group!

I'm Cynthia, and Ft. Worth, TX is my home.  I live by myself - well, I have two incredibly spoiled dogs, one a dachshund, the other a dachshund cross.  My sweet little girls!  Had my mammo and U/S this past Thursday, and oh such lovely words from the radiologist - "It's not good."  (I mean that very sarcastically of course!)  So on Tuesday the 20th I'm scheduled for a core needle biopsy in 2 places.  Oh joy.

This didn't come up suddenly, I've had a lump for at least a year, but didn't have health insurance.  No insurance, no treatment.  Or, if you were able to come up with the several thousand $$ for any kind of treatment, you would then have a pre-existing condition.  You know what all that ensues!

It is what it is.  

My church - I LOVE my church - is an A/G cowboy church!  If any of y'all get the station RFD-TV, my pastor is the one on the cowboy church show, along with Suzie McEntire (Reba's sister).  The church has dirt floors (can't get too snotty when you're standing in dirt!), and a big roping arena out front.  We host ranch rodeos with other cowboy churches in the area, and have events throughout the week like team roping, playdays, etc...  I sing in the choir, but we're a small group, maybe 12-20, and we back-up the worship team.  Our music is anything from traditional hymns, to contemporary. The people are incredible, and there's a huge emphasis on prayer.

I've read the past few pages.... sounds like everyone is down to earth, compassionate and kind.

I look forward to chatting with all y'all! Laughing

• jlow51
    jlow51 Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2013

Cynthia, praying for good news from your biopsy!! Is your pastor Russ Weaver? Good guy. He was a friend of my brother's for many years when he was just starting his ministry....many years ago. Love Ft. Worth! Come there several times a year for events held at the Will Rogers.

I have read this thread for a while and prayed for you, ladies. Please put me on your prayer lists. I am having my exchange surgery, Tuesday morning and am nervous!!! I really thought I would be so excited that I would breeze through it but I am finding I am very anxious.

Thank you!! May God bless you all!!!

• cynthiaintx
    edited August 2013

jlowe, YES!  That's Russ!  I am so blessed to also count Anna as one of - well, as truly my dearest friend.  I'd be interested in knowing who your brother is - I've been with Russ and Anna pretty much since day one, when we were a few dozen people on hay bales in a rented arena... send me a private message if you like!

Now y'all get this... if this isn't a God blessing!  I'm out walking the dogs around my apartment complex, it's about a half mile walk... get walking past this one dumpster, and what is sitting next to it but a big box.  (People will put "good" stuff next to it, instead of in it)  A big food processor box.  I'm curiouser than a magpie, so I go over and open it up.  There is a brand spankin' new Hamilton Beach food processor, all the parts.  I ain't proud, I grabbed it!  Brought it inside, set it up, works GREAT.  It's as if the Lord is arming His girl with tools to fight this battle!  So, I'm off to find some really great smoothie recipes!

• jlow51
    edited August 2013

Funny!!! I probably would have passed that blessing up!! What The Lord brings you to....He will bring you through!! The blender is just a start!!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited August 2013

Dear Cynthiantx!! Welcome to this wonderful thread! You will always be covered in prayer here!! You have a lot on your plate, but your positive attitude is amazing !! Everyone here will encourage and support you !! God Bless You!!! Kathy

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853
    edited August 2013

Vicki - praying for your daughter and all of the family.

• cynthiaintx
    edited August 2013

Kathy, thank you for the welcome!  I hope you and all the others are having a blessed morning... I pray comfort, healing, and mercy over all y'all.

This is one of the songs we sang this morning.  These words are really my heart's cry.  Anyone else have a favorite?

Beautiful Lord, wonderful saviour
    I know for sure all of my days are held in Your hands,
    Crafted into Your perfect plan

You gently call me into Your presence
    Guiding me by Your Holy Spirit.
    Teach me, dear Lord
    To live all of my life through Your eyes

I'm captured by Your Holy calling.
    Set me apart
    I know You're drawing me to Yourself
    Lead me Lord I pray

Take me, Mold me, Use me, Fill me,
    I give my life to the Potter's hands
    Call me, Guide me, Lead me, Walk beside me.
    I give my life to the Potter's hand.

• patoo
    edited August 2013

Hi cynthiaintx, so glad you found us.  It is a wonderful thread of down to earth, non-judgmental sisters-in-Christ.  Your sense of humor under these circumstances attests to you being a child-of-God as who else has our back while we wait and go through various emotions?  I will be praying for your biopsy on Tuesday as well as a welcome to jlow51 and praying also for your exchange surgery.  How coincidental that you are both in TX, probably have mutual friends in the Ft Worth area and are having procedures on Tuesday.  God is in this, I can feel it! 

"Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite"  -- Psalm 147:5

It's the weekend so a little quiet but others will be along to also welcome you both and offer up words of encouragement - they do that so well.

Blessings all.

• patoo
    edited August 2013

Oh, btw cynthiaintx, that is one of my favorite songs (but I have so many favorites!)  Today, if I had to pick one it would probably be "I Can Only Imagine" with "In the Presence of Jehovah" a close second.

• cynthiaintx
    edited August 2013

Patoo!  Funny you should mention "I can only imagine" - it started playing on the radio as I was coming home and as I pulled in to park, I just let it play, and worshipped...

Hillsong has another favorite of mine - Aftermath.   ...the hands that cradled the stars are the hands that bled for me....

We're so into Hillsong at my house!  My son's goal is to be a worship leader, and he's on his way to finish his 2nd and 3rd year in Master's Commission.  So so incredibly proud of him.

• jlow51
    edited August 2013

Patoo, thank you for the welcome and prayers!! God is so good to hear and answer them!

• patoo
    edited August 2013

Wonderful goal, I can see why you are proud.  I'm also in an AG church although we don't have rodeo's at ours here in NJ!  Our youth group just came back from Fine Arts competition in FL.  The drama team and one of our piano players both made 'Excellent' status (drama team was .3 pts from 'Superior')

• patoo
    edited August 2013

We serve an AWESOME God. 

• jlow51
    edited August 2013

Yes, we do serve an awesome God! So thankful we have Him to rely on!!! I, too, am AG. Not a cowboy church but it is a country church with lots of cowboys in it!! Haha!

Our group just got back from Fine Arts. They did well and my niece is a youth pastor in Dallas and their group did great in Human Video. Small world!

• cynthiaintx
    edited August 2013

Fine arts!  Oh boy, those are some memories... In 2010, Tommy's band won Merit for Christian band for North Texas!  Wow, those boys were so excited!!!  Mom was pretty blown away, too!  He also went to nationals for songwriting and small drama group.  The band made it into the top 10% at nationals, and he could have done a whole lot better for songwriting, but the girl he was singing with messed up.  A boy from our church won nationals for Puppetry, and one of our girls came in 5th in female vocals, and won a full 4-year scholarship to SAGU.  I drove the band's gear up to Detroit - what a drive! And hanging around 15,000 teens, well, it's an experience.

Fine arts is an awesome thing that is done for the youth each year - not just the huge amount of talent you see every day, but every night there's an incredible message being delivered.  As many kids who can go, should!  Plus, there's scholarship money available, parents can meet with the college reps, and everyone makes new friends!

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited August 2013

Welcome Cynthia and Jlow. I am praying for your procedures tomorrow that God will give you good results and quick healing as well as peace for your hearts. I also pray for skill, wisdom and compassion for your doctors and caregivers. Please let us know how you are doing when you are able.

"Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end intended by the Lord—that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful."

James 5:11(NKJV)

• cynthiaintx
    edited August 2013

Hi Rocket!  Pfft - I got this.  God's got this.  The battle is won before it has even started.

So last night, in anticipation of tomorrow, I made something that will help me.  It's just a long piece of stretchy fabric with a pocket stitched into it, that I can sling across me, and insert an ice pack.  That way, I don't have to worry about it flopping all over the place whenever I move.  Hope it works!

• milehighgirl
    edited August 2013

Good evening ladies.  Hope everyone did well with their procedures today.

Unfortunately for me, my pleural effusion came back.  Lung filled up to exactly where it was a week ago.  Grrrrrrrrrrr.  Hosp. is squeezing me in after work tomorrow to drain it again so it will be a very long day again.  Spent all day there today.  Praying that this will be it!

Keeping the faith.

Sue

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited August 2013

Oh, Sue! I'm so sorry! I pray this takes care of it! I'm glad you are keeping the faith. God is with you every minute.

• patoo
    edited August 2013

Hi Sue, adding you into the 'extra' special prayers going out for all of you tomorrow. 

Blessings.

• cynthiaintx
    edited August 2013

Sue, I'll swap prayers with you, tommorow is my biopsy!

So when all y'all had your biopsies, what was the most painful part?  I know I get numbed up, but... I'm thinking afterwards is gonna be no picnic.

I was thinking about what to wear tomorrow.  With the exception of my nice button down dress shirts, everything I have is a polo, or t-shirt, or something to pull over.   That would probably not work too well.  So I got kind of crafty (uh-oh) and ran to the thrift store and got a 4xxx t-shirt (for less than $1) - split it down the middle in the front, grabbed a separating zipper from the zipper bag, and voila!  I have a soft, comfy front-zip top to wear.

Aaaand it just struck me - will I be able to wear my bra when I leave?  Because this t-shirt is kind of thin!  Oh mercy..... maybe I'll take my housecoat as well.

I may or may not post tomorrow - the vicodin will have me loopy.

• milehighgirl
    edited August 2013

Cynthia, it will be a breeze.  Looks like a needle biopsy.  I wasn't even numbed for mine - no need.  They're in and out.  Hope yours will be the same.

Prayers are a given.  We're all well covered!