Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2013

cynthiaintx, praying for your quick recovery.  jlow, prayers going up.  have put Melody in prayer as well.  bestock, we serve an AWESOME God.  Love and prayers going up for you all.

Praise report - a spot opened up for DS to share a house with another special needs young man in his dream location - Orlando FL!  Monday we flew down, met the director and program manager for this supported living program.  Saw the house (cute) and met the young man.  DS was encouraged and he signed a lease to move 10/1.  We flew back Tuesday evening.  He's still a little nervous because he's so used to being dependent and clinging to me.  We both need this program, me to let go and him to realize that he is more capable than he thinks.  Please keep him in prayer as we apply for the services he will need to be successful.  Thanks.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2013

Dearest Patoo!!! You and your wonderful son are making a huge and wonderful leap of faith!! Our Lord is with you every step of the way! You will both do great!! I will be lifting you both up in prayer!! Please keep us posted on both your new adventures!! God Bless You!!!!

Dear Jo-5, As always so good to see you!!! I just love your phrase: "Learning to Lean."

Please have a safe and joyous Labor Day Weekend!!! Hugs and Blessings to everyone!!

• Kindergarten
    edited August 2013

Dear Cynthia!! Hope to hear from you soon, as to how everything went!!! You are covered in prayer!! Blessings, Kathy

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited August 2013

Hi Ladies,

Praying for you all! God is with each and every one of us. He knows all our concerns. That phrase, " learning to lean", makes me think of pressing into our precious Lord, with my head on His chest and resting in His loving arms. No better place to be.

I have been a bit preoccupied with Erin. What a joy she is to my heart! She's napping now after a long morning of playing at the playground and going to the Children's museum. We had so much fun! This afternoon, if it doesn't rain, we're going for a stroller ride at the park. Can you tell I love being a Nana?

Loving you Ladies....

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited August 2013

Patoo, what an exciting time for your son! I pray he adjusts quickly--and you, too!

Rocket, nothing compares to being a Nana! I only wish my sweet Isabelle lived closer.

Jo-5, good to hear from you. I need to lean into the Lord more as I struggle with occasional recurrence fears and wishing this whole reconstruction process was over. At least my LE arms measured 4% smaller at my last appointment!!

Love you ladies.

• patoo
    edited September 2013

Thanks all.  DS has long turned away from our Lord, he is depressed and stubborn.  Our Lord says raise them in the way... and I truly believe he will one day come back.  I remind him of so many people I have praying for him so he knows it's the Lord's work but he has 'friends' who are leading him astray.  Unfortunately those friends are online so moving away won't get rid of them.  But I know my God and He has plans so I just continually put DS back on the altar.  So thanks for your prayers for him and also remember his friends who need spiritual intervention as well.

Enjoy your weekend.

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited April 2015

Hi Ladies -

Each of you are inspirations to me. This is such a difficult time for me and my family.

Without God and His word, it would be impossible for me to deal with bc.

I welcome your prayers for my surgery next week.

Blessings to you all.

• patoo
    edited September 2013

peacestrength, prayers going up and will continue for you and your family through this journey. 

"Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord."  --Psalm 31:24.

• cynthiaintx
    cynthiaintx Member Posts: 66
    edited September 2013

Good morning ladies!

Looks like surgery went well.  Doc said he had to take a little more than expected, but not much, and he feels that he got everything.  Now it's on to the follow-up to see if I have to do radiation therapy.

The "hurry up and wait" part was so true!  Got there at 5:30, waited til 7:30 to have the wires inserted (really no pain at all, love my radiologist!) then more waiting.  Surgery was scheduled at 10, then moved to 10:30, then finally around noon the surgical team came in and got started.  I remember them putting the Dr. Feelgood in my IV, and that was it!  Just before waking up in recovery, I remember a vision of rolling green hills and full, beautiful trees.    Recovery was fine, got it together pretty quickly, and out the door I went!  Spent yesterday on the sofa watching Netflix.  Today I get to remove the dressing, and can take a quick shower. 

So I don't know about anyone else - but I kind of feel like a small fish in a tank of sharks.  I mean, this is one little lump, taken out very quickly, and any radiation or medication follow-up is questionable.  It was still "cancer" - but it was no more remarkable thank having a tooth filled, at least not to me.  I almost feel a little guilty that it was so easy, and have a hard time even saying "I had cancer."  Can anyone relate?

Patoo, great news about your son.  It's hard to let them go, hopefully there will be other stronger people around him who will guide him through these upcoming times, and he may lose interest in the online people - I hate to call them "friends" - and they'll keep him so busy, he can't be online much!

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    edited September 2013

Cynthiaintx

Glad your "day" went well for you.  I too had a fairly easy recovery, no pain meds needed. until the hematoma 4 days later, when I had to have a 2nd surgery and the BS removed 1000 cc fluids.  That swelling/healing process was more of a challenge, but survived it and now you would never know it happened.

You have a positive attitude and I think that has a lot to do with the success, but more importantly, you know the Master Physician, who is in control of everything...

Have a great week..

Vickie

• patoo
    edited September 2013

cynthiaintx, glad you came through easily.  I have also had an easy journey but a dx of BC is still BC so don't feel 'guilty'.  I did rads and sailed through that as well, worked full time with only mild tiredness.  I'm 4-1/2 years into anti-hormonals with nearly no SE's.  So I know what you mean.  I think my Lord knows what a wimp I am so He thought it better to spare me the challenges so many of our sisters have to face.

DS is in the Lord's hands - a much better place than mine, so I'm not worried about him.

Thanks everyone and hope you are all enjoying the weekend.

• cynthiaintx
    edited September 2013

I was able to take off the surgical bandage, and take a shower!  Yay!  There wasn't a single drop of blood, nothing on the surgical dressing.  The scar is about 3" long and rather purple - that will fade with time.  Hardly a dent.

Vickie, I have to call the doc for a follow up later this week.  The wound site looks good, not a lot of bruising.

And I did the wrong thing today, I felt good so I pushed myself.  I made a tunic top, cut out and started sewing another one, cooked, walked the dogs... now I'm just plain exhausted, and really sore.  Tomorrow I'm going to really take it easy.  This is different from say, an abdominal surgery where it REALLY HURTS to move - but it's surprising that it doesn't take much to get very worn out and sore with this.

Blessed Sunday to everyone!

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2013

Dear Rocket! When we are with our grandchildren, our troubles seem to disappear!! It sounds like you are having so much fun!! Enjoy, enjoy!!!

Dear Jeannie! It is so normal to have recurrence fears!! As Christians, we are human, and fear of the unknown is always with us!! It is so comforting to know that we can come here for support, encouragement and prayer! Every challenge that we face draws us closer to Him!!! You always encourage and supportbus!!!

God Bless You!!!

Dear Patoo!! You are such a faithful servant and prayer warrior!! I am confident that your son will respond to prayer!

Dear Peacestrength!! I am lifting you up in prayer for your upcoming surgery!! Please keep us posted!!

Dear Cynthia!! So glad that your surgery went well, and don't ever feel guilty about your prognosis!! Rejoice and be glad in it!! You will be a role model and mentor for others!!!

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853
    edited September 2013

Peace and Blessings to all my fellow Sister Warriors.  I have been consumed with finding a job and my own place.  HUGS to all who need them and congratulations to all of you STRONG folks who have endured what you have had to endure.  See U all again soon!

• cynthiaintx
    edited September 2013

Greetings ladies - hope you are all having a blessed week!

So - the surgery went well, doc believes he took it all with clean margins.  No biopsy of the sentinel node, he said it was very well contained.  I have a big scar, but oh well, if that's all I deal with, I'm not worried.  It itches... and that's ok, it means healing is taking place.

Follow-up is Thursday afternoon.  I'm ok if he prescribes radiation.  That's gonna be more of a pain in the behind than anything else, I just do not have time for it, but will make time if I have to.  My biggest fear is having to take meds the next 5 years.  I've heard horror stories about tamoxifen.  I'm post-menopausal, so hopefully I'll get arimidex instead... but still... fatigue, migraines, joint pain... seriously? 

Anyone have experience in all this?

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2013

Dear Cmbernardi! Peace and blessings to you!! I am praying that you find just the right job and place to live!! Your positive attitude and strong faith will make it happen!! Our Lord is with you every step of the way!!!! Please keep us posted!

Patoo, I love how you always give your worries to Our Lord!! I need to follow your example! I know that Fear and faith can not reside to together, I just have to remind myself everyday to Let Go and Let God!! I worry myself sick sometimes over my children!! Yes, you are so right, the The Lords's Hands are better than mine!! I will try not to worry about anything, but instead pray incessantly about everything!!!

Dear Cynthia, Take care of yourself and rest!

• Jeannie57
    edited September 2013

Cynthia, I have had no problems with Tamoxifen! I am post-menopausal but have osteopenia so we're hoping my bones will build up some with the Tamoxifen. After a few years I will have to switch to AI's, boo.

• patoo
    edited September 2013

Thanks Kindergarten, there is no better place for him.  Believe me, I try to pick up that cross and it weighs me down so I drop it off with the Lord and go on my merry way.  Is it easy, not at all, but all I can do is try and try again.

cmbernardi, praying that your job search and housing resolve soon.  It's a stressor we don't need.

cynthiaintx, Rads was a piece of cake.  Worked full-time the entire 6 and a half weeks.  Now I'm 4-1/2 years in on arimidex.  Had minor issues during the first 6 months (carpal tunnel and trigger thumb which resolved with a cortisone shot and wrist splints) and had pre-existing hip problems so it hasn't been any worse.  No fatigue, migranes, etc.  My cholesterol is elevated but not too bad.  These AI's affect everyone differently so don't try and foresee - it is what it is and if you are unable to tolerate it there are other options.  Glad the results look good.  You are right, what's a scar in the face of so much else.  It's the Holy Spirit that lives within that is most important.

Blessings all.

• cynthiaintx
    edited September 2013

Thanks for the info, Jeannie and Patoo... I had an appt. with the surgeon this afternoon, and he said even though everything came back clear with good margins, he was sending me to an oncologist.  We shall see!  My biggest issue is financial - even though I have good insurance, there's still a deductible, and out of pocket cost.  And with a kid in school.... well, I'll see what the oncologist has to say first.  Maybe we can put some of it off for awhile, I don't know.

Enjoying my week off, but surprised how I get so tired so quickly!  Guess I'm not as young as I used to be....

• Jeannie57
    edited September 2013

Cynthia, my husband was laid off while I was on chemo so I understand the financial pressures! Our family was generous and we made it through. Taking care of yourself is so impt.! I was just reading about "casting all our anxiety" on Jesus. As Patoo, says, we can't do it on our own!

• Vicks1960
    edited September 2013

Cynthiaintx,

It is normal for the BS to refer a patient to an oncologist.  My surgeon actually referred me to a MO and RO.  I had the rads (brachytherapy type) first then a few days later the MO started me on Letrozole.  That was in Nov 2011.

I am sure that a MO will advise you on what measures you can use to keep the BC at bay..

Vickie

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited September 2013

I just want to tell my sisters on this thread thanks for praying for me. I have liver mets, and just got my ca 27-29 and it is in the 20's.Lowest since my dx of stage 4 in FebruaryLaughing

I feel good and think prayers are why. God is helping me and I appreciate all of you for praying for me. 

Please keep my son in prayer, he and wife are separated still, but not divorced, they have young daughter, and I believe the Lord still wants to heal the marriage. he especially needs to get his life right with the LORD

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2013

Bestock, Praise The Lord!! Wonderful news!!!! Yes, indeed, the power of prayer is just awesome!! I will also lift up your son and daughter in law in prayer!! Our lord has a Plan for them and their precious daughter!!! Many blessings, Kathy

• Jeannie57
    edited September 2013

Bestock, that is such great news!! I am glad God is helping you and with you in this! I pray your son returns to the Lord. This is something I pray for two of my daughters, as well. The oldest one, who is getting divorced, says she will attend a new church we recommended to her which opens next month. I am praying!

• milehighgirl
    milehighgirl Member Posts: 397
    edited September 2013

Hooray Bestock!  I'm so excited for you - answered prayer tends to do that for us doesn't it?

I would appreciate prayers tomorrow for yet another lung drain.  Third one this month and this time they're putting a temporary drain in so I don't have to keep going in for the thorencentisis.  I'm so not looking forward to having this done.  However, God has gotten me through the week without the tremendous shortness of breath I've been experiencing so I was able to complete my work week and not lose any more income.  PTL for his provision.

I will pray that all of us continue to be blessed and provided for in ways we cannot even think or imagine.

Blessings.  Sue

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2013

Dear Jeannie!! I am lifting up your dear daughter in prayer!! May this new church give her all the support and encouragement that she needs for her renewed growth in Christ!!

Prayers for your other daughter as well!! May they both feel the power of prayer!!

Dear Milehighgirl! I am lifting you up in prayer right now!! May this be your last lung drain! I so admire your strength and courage!! Please keep us posted!!

• Jeannie57
    edited September 2013

Thanks, Kathy!

Prayers, Sue! I'm sorry you have to go through this! God is with us through all this. Your good attitude is surely making a difference! Warm, healing thoughts for you.

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited September 2013

Hi ladies,

I am pushing 60 (58) I have not been dx'd. I had a second mammo and U/S today. Radiologist recommends biopsy. I tried reaching my BS to schedule biopsy today, but they left at noon. Darn it.  I have a 1cm (solid) mass. Radiologist says  50-60% that it's benign. Of course, I know that only a biopsy will tell. I am worried, or course, and just want to find out what's going on as soon as possible. Any ideas on how to cope and play this waiting game?  Does anyone have any opinion on whether it's better to have the radiologist or the breast surgeon do the Ultrasound-guided biopsy? Or, does the BS make that determination? I really just want to get it done asap, whomever can do it...

• Vicks1960
    edited September 2013

Keep the faith

My PC arranged for the Radiologist to do my US guided biopsy.  No pain or problem with either the biopsy or several months after the surgery to have a seroma aspirated.

Only thing I can suggest about the waiting time, do things to keep your mind busy/occupied with other thoughts. 

The waiting time is very hard for most of us!!!

Please keep us posted as to what you find out.  Feel free to ask anything you want here, (some one here has probably been there and done whatever bothers you and will respond), or just to rant and rave if you have a need.

Just know, we are pulling, praying for you and are interested in your progress

Vickie

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited September 2013

Milehighgirl - You have my sympathy and my prayers. I had both a thorensenthisis (sp?) and a thorcohotomy. Not fun. It's been a long time now, and PTL my lung issues have been resolved.

I haven't been around much lately, have a lot going on, but I keep you ladies in my heart. We all have our struggles and our blessings alike. It's so good to be able to share both with you all. You are such an inspiration to me. I feel blessed to be a part of this thread.

Blessings!