Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited November 2013

Last year I lost several friends. When a dear friend passed, I couldn't go to the funeral. I just couldn't do it. I knew my friend would understand and that I mourned with Jesus in private. We all deal with things differently. I know that there have been times that I just couldn't deal with certain things at certain times. It wasn't denial, just a realization that I could only handle so much at a time. It's times like these that I think of the old Gaither song - One Hurt at a Time. There's is a line it that says God healed my heart one hurt at a time. I remind myself of that often. Healing, whether emotional, spiritual or physical, is a process. Can God wave a hand and give us complete immediate healing? Absolutely, but more often than not, He uses our challenges to help us grow and uses various challenges to bring us closer to Him.

I wish all you beautiful ladies the peace that passes understanding that only God can provide.

Blessings

• lovewins
    lovewins Member Posts: 570
    edited November 2013

Mini ! thank you for posting that heart felt message...what you said is so true. Blessing back at you.

• Mini1
    edited November 2013

My morning devotion was right on point.

On God my salvation and my glory rest;

The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God.

Trust in Him at all times, O people;

Pour out your heart before Him;

God is a refuge for us.

—Psalm 62:7–8

Our dear Father, we are grateful for the rest that is found in Christ. Our souls were like waves crashing against a shoreline, and our lives were in tumult and disarray, confusion and chaos. And then You rescued us. You brought us forgiveness and relief, and You introduced us to a wonderful four-letter word that has become for us a lifeline for survival: rest. Thank You for the peace that accompanies this rest. Thank You for the freedom from worry. Thank You for carrying the weights that we used to carry on our own shoulders, for giving us literally thousands of promises that become ours to claim, to grow in, and to be comforted by.

Father, You have the ability, being who You are, to know each need in each heart, each concern in each mind. So we pause and release to You those things that have plagued us long enough. We give them over to You now. In doing so, we invite the Spirit of God to plow the soil of our souls so the seed of God's Word can be sown, take root, and be watered in time so as to produce spiritual abundance.

We commit these valued moments to You, resting in You. And may this allow us to be lost in wonder and love and praise. In Jesus's name, amen. Charles Swindoll

• lovewins
    edited November 2013

awesome prayer!

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited November 2013

amen!

• cynthiaintx
    cynthiaintx Member Posts: 66
    edited November 2013

Mini's prayer and scripture reminds me of a favorite Kari Jobe song... I want to sit at Your feet, drink from the cup in Your hand, lay back against You and breathe, feel your heart beat....

Sorry I haven't been around. I moved last week, still don't have internet service at home, and have hit that wall of fatigue that radiation so nicely offers! Started a few blisters as well. Anyone have hints on how to treat those? I tried posting in the radiation board, but get ignored...

There's a cancer care center in my city that offers massages and reflexology to cancer patients, so I called to inquire about that, waiting on a call back. They don't tell you that with fatigue comes a whole lot of joint and muscle aches.

Please know I'm keeping all y'all in my prayers. God IS good, ALL the time.

• Mini1
    edited November 2013

Cynthiaintx -I used aloe vera, as well as Silvadeen and a Rx lidocaine gel. I wore the loosest t shirts possible and, of course, no bra. How many more treatments do you have left?

• jlow51
    jlow51 Member Posts: 76
    edited November 2013

Good to hear from you!! Sorry about the blisters. Mini's suggestions are great! Praying for you!

• cynthiaintx
    edited November 2013

Mini, I still have almost three weeks left - two weeks of regular, and then a week of boosts. I know some people sail right through this, but I may not be one of them. I'm also very achey - fingers, wrists, knees, ankles.. almost a flu-like ache. I feel like I need a bottle of aleve washed down with a gallon of espresso!

As far as topical creams, I have some stuff from the doctor, I put it on morning and night, forget the name. I'm going to ask when I go this afternoon, if there's something else. And I do have to keep the bra on, at least for work! That's a semi-professional environment, so I can't wear t-shirts.

• cynthiaintx
    edited November 2013

Oh, this is the scene my kiddo woke up to this morning. He's in northern Minnesota. This is a farm on the way to the church. So peaceful!

• keepthefaith
    edited November 2013

Cynthia, sorry you are having issues with your radiation treatments. I hope you get them resolved. I will be doing rads soon, also and will be anxious to hear how everything goes for you. I have heard of SE's being tired and the skin issues, but not achiness. Beautiful picture of the snow! I have family in Wisconsin and was born there, but I don't miss the winters!

• saltyjack
    saltyjack Member Posts: 326
    edited November 2013

Cynthia, so good to hear from you. You sure have enough to keep you busy - moving, rads and work. We'll keep lots of prayers coming your way. I sure like looking at pictures of snow...rather than wading through it and having to dig out of it!

Mini, I love the devotion - the verses from Psalms fit right along with a couple of verses from our Bible study today:

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty; I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust." Psalms 91:1-2.

I'm day 6 from last A/C and I'm claiming the end of SE for this round (with lots of prayer and strength from God, of course!). Monday was the worst - feeling kind of flu-ish (but it was a good day anyway because we found out that our foster greyhound, who had surgery for a broken leg 6 weeks ago is healing just fine and doesn't need more surgery - yay!). Now the trick is to keep her to "slow walking" for a couple of weeks, which isn't too easy when there's a squirrel in the yard! :)

I'm still thanking God (and all my great prayer warriors) for the good doctor visit last week - when she couldn't measure the tumor. There's still something there but she described it as a "thickening." I'm scheduled for an ultrasound on the 15th to see just what's happening in there (but of course, I probably won't know anything till I see the doctor again on the 20th). My great inspiration, Sharon, and a couple of other friends are praying my tumor into non-existence....that I won't even need surgery. I don't know if that ever happens - but maybe, just maybe, my skeptical husband will believe God's in control then? I'm sure praying, too!

I've just been realizing the past few days - since it's taken me since I was diagnosed in August for this bit of wisdom to sink into my thick head.....God has given me such peace and calm throughout this whole great adventure, and I know He's got a plan and purpose for it all. I know, what's so earth-shattering about that? We all know that, right? Well, I am SUCH a worrier and planner. This is not at all like me - so I've finally realized that this is one of the best ways God has been answering prayers!

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for helping me along! Bev

• Mini1
    edited November 2013

Cynthiaintx - I had a some times that I needed to wear a bra as well. I found that placing a small piece of satin or silky fabric between my bra and skin helped reduce the friction and reduced the irritation. I also took tepid oatmeal baths. I put a wash cloth with the oatmeal mixture on it right on the breast while I was soaking in the tub. The relief didn't last a long time, but it did give me temporary respite.

Let your doctor know that you need to up the ante with your creams. I ended up with several before I was done. You have a ways to go, but you'll get through it, I promise.

Blessings

• keepthefaith
    edited November 2013

Bev', so glad that your SE's are diminishing! Great news! That would be awesome if you didn't need surgery. Will be praying for more good news on your upcoming appts. I can relate; I am a planner, too and I think I have learned a few good lessons myself....I guess I needed a good knock upside the head, though!

• mankatostate
    mankatostate Member Posts: 73
    edited November 2013

Cynthia-woke to the same snow...I wasn't happy. I missed my whole summer with this yucky BC thing, so I am not ready yet for winter! It is beautiful to look at but not fun to drive in. I am praying the rest of winter holds off since I will be starting rads in a week and a half thru Christmas. I am not looking forward to my half hour drive...just praying for no snow!

• SewStrong
    SewStrong Member Posts: 151
    edited November 2013

Kathy, I will start radiation on Tuesday next week and have my last on Christmas Eve. What is your schedule? Our drive is 45 minutes but we probably won't have as much snow. I'm not sure where you live, but it sounds cold.

• Deborahanne
    Deborahanne Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2013

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." John 14:27

Dear Ladies, I loved seeing this verse posted on the wall at the hospital across from the elevator as I was going up to see my oncologist today. I had a really good visit with him as well as a good visit with my surgeon this morning (3 month follow-up). I'm so thankful to God for providing me with competent, understanding, encouraging, compassionate doctors.

Right now I’m feeling dread and excitement at the same time…my LAST chemotherapy treatment is tomorrow! I dread the side effects, yet I’m excited that it’s nearly over and no matter how bad it gets, the LORD will get me through it. “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. I have set the LORD always before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. Psalm 73:26, 16:8-9

What made the last round worst was the problem I had with the antibiotic. Thankfully, MO is lowering the dosage if I need it with this 4th round. I was able to go to Louisville last Sunday and it felt great to be out. I ended up spending only time with my daughter which turned out to be by God's providence a good thing since one of my granddaughters ended up being sick with a stomach virus so it was best that I wasn't around her. My daughter and I enjoyed taking Fall pictures in the historic part of Frankfort, then we went to Starbucks where I loved having a Pumpkin Spice Latte. I even tried Chinese food for dinner but it wasn't as good as I remember it being :-( Since Sunday, I've been gradually feeling better and I've been busy working a lot of hours at my job and today I spent all day in Lexington.

Meanwhile, I've been reading your posts through my email and have again, again been so encouraged by you all. I've also been praying, especially when I see there's a new concern and I've been praising God when things are going well. Sometimes I wish this was set up more like facebook so I could "like" all your postings and I could easily respond and offer encouragement. Hopefully when things settle down and I'm more well and less busy, I'll write more.

Love and blessings to you all, Deborah

• Deborahanne
    edited November 2013

Not feeling well due to the medication taken before chemotherapy, feeling anxious and nauseated. This happened with the last round so I'm hopeful I can get through this. I need to eat, take another premed and drink lots of water so a large IV can be placed. I need to be at the infusuion center in 2.5 hours. I covet your prayers greatly! "fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. " Isaiah 41:10

• KateW
    KateW Member Posts: 31
    edited November 2013

Deborahanne! I was JUST thinking of you and saying a prayer that your day and weekend go smoothly and decided to check in here quickly. God must want me to send you a bit of reassurance! You CAN do this! Being in Cincinnati, I feel like we are neighbors! :) Blessings to you today!

Kate

• jlow51
    jlow51 Member Posts: 76
    edited November 2013

Praying for you, Deborahanne! "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear......!" Psalms:46:1

• keepthefaith
    edited November 2013

Deborahanne, Hugs and prayers for you today as you have your LAST chemo treatment! You are almost there:).

• Mini1
    edited November 2013

Hugs and prayers Deborahanne. Just keep clinging to those promises of God. He is the Alpha and Omega. He was with you at the beginning and He is with you now at the end.

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. Heb 10:23

• lovewins
    edited November 2013

Praying for you Deboranne...I hope your SE will be small and that you can rest in His arms while you heal.

• mankatostate
    edited November 2013

Deborahanne- Thinking and praying for you today! You maybe done by now so I will also pray for sleep for you. I am sorry ( well kind of) that I am not going thru chemo with you this time...my next one would have been Monday...but just think in three weeks you will be where I am at. All done and waiting for you hair to grow back! Are you doing rads after? God will take care of you and get you there! His peace he gives to you! I have loved that verse as I have been going thru this.

Sharon- I live in Minnesota so winter comes and stays forever here. Two years ago we hardly had any snow maybe 4 or less inches all winter compared to 45 average. I say that was God's gift to me as I had started back to work that year after years of being home with the kids. Now I am praying for another year like that or at least until Christmas. Here in rural FLAT farmland Mn when that wind picks up you can get some pretty nasty snowstorms.

I start rads on the 18th and have 25 treatments which if all goes well gets me done on the 23rd. We can then keep our Christmas plans to go to my husbands sister in Tampa. We are driving so I am not looking forward to that but my father in law has cancer too and I know my husband wants to see him. He is not doing as well. He's being treated at the same place as Saltyjack/Bev. My in laws are flying to his sister's place too so we really need to try to make it there.

• Deborahanne
    edited November 2013

Praise God!!! I had so many people praying for me this morning that I was feeling pretty good for chemo! I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks but am SO excited to be close to the end of this chemo battle!

YOU ALL encouraged me so much with your prayers, hugs, scripture, and encouraging words! I hope to be more of an encourager when I'm feeling better.

KateW - we are neighbors and Sharon must be close by as well :-) I hope and pray you are doing well with your round of chemo!

Lovewins - I've been praying for you all week - I hope you are doing better! I'll be praying for you even more with the 2 additional treatments you have.

Mankatostate - I can't wait for 3 weeks from now for hair to grow and for things to start tasting the way they use to. Keep us posted on how soon those things return. Thankfully, I don't need rads since I had double mastectomies and my lymph nodes were clear. I'm praying and will continue to pray for all of you who are having rads for it certainly seems like a lot to go through. I'm praying you all get very helpful advice to minimize problems, and I'm praying for safe travel for you with there being potential for snow.

Love and prayers to rest of you who have written lately, Deborah

• lovewins
    edited November 2013

you look sooo cute!

• saltyjack
    saltyjack Member Posts: 326
    edited November 2013

yes, Deborahanne, you look like a victorious warrior princess of God. We've got those nasty little chemo devils beat - we've got the Great Physician on our side!

Hope everybody has a blessed weekend - keep warm! It's even chilly here in Texas so I'm sure you northerners are really bundled up. Dave and I just got home from the opening ceremony for the traveling Vietnam Veterans Wall - pretty humbling to remember those 58,000 young men and women who didn't come home. We in America are so blessed!

• gardengal777
    gardengal777 Member Posts: 376
    edited November 2013

Deborahann: You go girl! We have you covered in prayer and I know that God will bring you through this last treatment. Be of good courage and remember that He will deliver you through your fears, anxieties and give you the desires of your heart. I loved your picture. You look even better in a big photo. I'll be praying that your next few days go smoothly and that you do not have to go through the same issues that you have just experienced. So glad that you had a good time with your daughter. Just getting out can be such a boost.

I don't know if any of you saw this on Good Morning America but I thought I would share. This OB GYN went into the operating room to have a double mastectomy and had a dance party before undergoing her surgery.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/blogs/daily-dose/2013/11/08/watch-doctor-undergoing-double-mastectomy-busts-move-before-surgery/G7KxEA40iWYgMaeQJhe3NI/blog.html?camp=rss:health&dlvrit=834439

Heading to bed. Still dealing with some knee pain. Praying for each of you and asking God to meet each of your needs. Oh...maybe a kiss today. I was taking my fifth grade class to lunch and one of the lunch assistants said that she overheard someone ask me how I was feeling and wondered if I was okay. I told her that I had a second breast surgery a couple weeks ago. Amazingly as I described my diagnosis and my surgeries, she told me that she has just gone through the same thing and has ADH too. She also has another doctor in the same practice but did not have the second surgery like I did to make sure they got it all. But she was also given the recommendation to go on Tamoxifen or the other that I was given but said she needed time to think it over. She said, she has been struggling with this and is so glad that she has someone that she can talk to about it. So we will sit down together next week to share our thoughts and experiences. Not that I want to be going through all this too but it is nice to have someone in my workplace that I can talk to about this.

Blessings to all of you,

Char

• mankatostate
    edited November 2013

Char...it's such a blessing when God brings someone along for you to talk to. This group has been such a blessing to me, but God has surprised me with a few local friends who I had no idea had bc and they have been such a blessing to talk with too. I am glad that you are healing and will continue to pray for your decision making.

Deborah- I am glad to see you made it thru. You looked much too happy to be getting chemo in your picture. ;-) I will let you know when my hair starts growing...I see nothing new yet, but hopefully soon. My taste is still not quite right yet. For about half a week though it's been better. The breads still are weird. I did notice the other day water is great again. I didn't think after chemo I would ever be able to drink water again. I have always been a water fan and I just couldn't stand that heavy oily feel that you got when you drank it...and the taste blahh! Well the other day I noticed I guzzled down a whole bottle after I exercised.

Here is my prayer request for the week. I was praying that I would not put on weight during chemo. You hear so many stories about that happening because of the steroids. God was good to me and I maintained my weight. I have been up and down with my weight the past 10 years since I had thyroid surgery to remove a lump they found on it. I put on weight so easy and need lots of exercise to not even gain. Last winter I was feeling so tired I just couldn't get the exercise I needed to not gain weight. (now I think it was the cancer) Anyways I put on 25 pounds over 5 months and really really didn't want to gain anymore with chemo. I am at an all time high, even higher than when I was pregnet. Now that I am done I am trying to eat healthier. I am not eating more than three meals a day, and healthier than the past but I seem to be gaining now that I am off of chemo. I am asking prayer that I can figure out how to eat better and lose this extra weight. I know exercising will play a big roll, but I just don't have the energy to go past 20-30 minutes...so I could use prayer for motivation and energy too. Thanks!

• lovewins
    edited November 2013

mankostate...I pray you find a way to lose weight, I know it is a struggle for me too. I was surprised to hear people could gain weight with chemo. So far I have stayed exactly the same. I am sorry I don't have any answers but I pray you find the way for you to get to the place you feel comfortable.