Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• milehighgirl
    milehighgirl Member Posts: 397
    edited July 2014

Anita, I did some of my seminary work at UofC.  Also have a nephew that's a UofC graduate.  It's a premier hospital so if there's a way to treat this, they will find a way to do it.

Nancy, been hanging in there after a long week of ups and downs and disappointments.  But, God is good and He's still on throne.  Just have to survive a week of 100 degree heat!  Ugh for the shortness of breath this week.

Okay, I have to pass this along for we who are watching our diets for our healing (thinking of you Lucy).  I cut up a big watermelon yesterday.  So nice and healthy and something sweet to munch on all week.  Found a can of whipped cream in the fridge and thought "why not?".  I tried a little on a small piece of watermelon and it was pretty good.  Good for you, low cal and all.  LOL  Give it a try!

Blessings.  Sue

• SpiritBlessing
    SpiritBlessing Member Posts: 552
    edited July 2014

Sue - that's sounds tasty. I have been eating cherries and peaches the past couple of weeks. So have any of you been seeing a nutritionist during or after your treatment?  I have one that is part of my team I see once a month. She tells me I need to avoid sugar as much as possible. Also when I eat fruit I need to eat good amount of fiber as it works together so not to work against me. I know that sugar is bad to have as it feeds cancer. I do indulge on occasion. 

Diet is so much a part of our healing and I know I feel a lot better when I am eating the way I should. Just always try and make good food choices and eat at home as much as possible. 

• ADJ
    ADJ Member Posts: 203
    edited July 2014

Sue, thank you for the encouragement.  Seminary. Work?

Nancy, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL Silver cross, Joliet, IL

Anita

• WanderingSpirit
    WanderingSpirit Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2014

Help! Me AGAIN!

Recap: I was stage
    IIIA in 2002, 3 cm tumor in right breast (lumpectomy) and 4 positive
    lymph nodes out of 26 removed under right arm. I was ER positive, PR
    negative, HER2 negative then. I had 8 rounds of chemo, 33 radiations, 5
    years on Arimidex. Cancer "free" until 2013. On June 28, 2013 I was
    told it had come back, stage IV. Still ER+, PR-, Her2-. I have numerous
    lesions in my bones: Mets to skull, spine,
    ribs, sternum, pelvis, upper left arm, left thigh. I had nodules on
    outside of
    right lung which are gone. I had Pleural effusion June 28, 2014,
    drained 900 ml,
    it's gone (just a little remains). I had positive lymph nodes in chest,
    gone now too. So now it's been just bone mets.

I was put back on Armidex last June and October 2013 I began Xgeva shots once a month.

My tumor markers CA25/27 or whatever, have
    NEVER been normal. In June 2013 when I was first diagnosed, they were
    898. Slowly, after being on Armidex since June 28, they began dropping,
    very rapidly at first. Then in February of 2014 they stopped dropping
    and got to 132.

Now the bad: April 166.6, May 196.7, July (last
    week)
    272.9. My
    PET scans have gotten better, in fact, the one in June 2014 was better
    than the
    one in Feb. 2014, with nothing lighting up. But since my tumor markers
    are climbing again, my onc. is feeling something's not right.
    He is wanting another PET scan the first week in August, and an MRI of
    the brain. Coincidentally, my regular dr. had an MRI done April 17, 2014
    (headaches) and it was fine. But the onc is now worried.

What is going on????

• milehighgirl
    edited July 2014

Anita, when I was in graduate school, there were 16 seminaries in the Chicago metro area.  We were able to cross register at all of them and get class credit at our own seminary.  It was a great perk when I needed to get a class in and my own school didn't offer it in a given semester.  So......I had a few classes at U of C seminary.  It was right across the street from my seminary at the time (mine has since moved out of Hyde Park).

Wandering, it is so hard to guess what's going on and to wait for the answers.  Awhile back, I read an article on why we shouldn't put too much faith in the tumor marker tests.  Mine have crept up very slowly (eg. 48, 57, 63, etc.).  I don't remember the exact numbers but I didn't get too excited about it because all of my other tests were good.  I've learned to focus on what is working and improving rather than focusing on what I don't have answers for.  I wish I had something better to offer but it seems that waiting for the next tests is all you can do.  I will pray warfare prayer over you to lighten your load.  It's hard not to be discouraged but I have found that there is always a blessing following those speed bumps in the road.

Blessings.  Sue

• SpiritBlessing
    edited July 2014

Wandering - here are a few scriptures and other phrases I have found at the beginning of my journey that helped me through the times of the unknown. Please don't anguish over this, that is the enemy wants. Release and surrender and you will find peace. That is one of the promises that we have a comforter and He is here for us. I pray you have peace today that will get you through. 

One Day at a Time

Prayer: God, even when the challenges before me seem impossible, I know that I can tackle them one day at a time because You are with me. I receive Your strength today...Lord.

I strongly urge you to face your challenges one day at a time. Looking too far down the road only tends to overwhelm us. Trusting God requires that we believe He gives us our 'daily bread'; that is, we receive what we need as we need it and usually not before.

Sometimes challenges can seem impossible and overwhelming, but God is always with us. We just need to be courageous and receive the strength He gives us. Without thinking too far in advance, we can set our minds to quickly and efficiently do the task before us today.

This principle applies to many other areas of life, getting out of debt, cleaning and organizing your house, solving marriage problems, disciplining your children, being on time for work or completing a project. Whatever you need to do in life, you can do it.

Remember, Philippians 4:13 says you are ready for anything and equal to anything because God gives you strength. Nothing is too much for you when He is on your side.

Prayer: God, even when the challenges before me seem impossible, I know that I can tackle them one day at a time because You are with me. I receive Your strength today

Ready For Battle

The God who girds me with strength and makes my way perfect? He makes my feet like hinds' feet [able to stand firmly or make progress on the dangerous heights of testing and trouble]; He sets me securely upon my high places. He teaches my hands to war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You have also given me the shield of Your salvation, and Your right hand has held me up; Your gentleness and condescension have made me great. You have given plenty of room for my steps under me, that my feet would not slip. (Psalm 18:32-36 AMP)

Lucy

• WanderingSpirit
    edited July 2014

Milehigh and SpiritBlessing, thank you both so much! I am trying to be strong. It's just that my oldest daughter and her husband are expecting their 3rd child between now and July 31st. If he doesn't come, she'll be induced the first week in August, right when they want to do all my scans. IF they can get the insurance to approve them. It seems I get scans a LOT now and who knows when my "quota" for the year is up?
    Thank you both again. I just wish I could be like all these other women whose CA 27 29 are in the 0-40 range. I've never gotten there. When I read about a panic attack because theirs went from 25 to 35 I can't help but feel worse. I would love to  have a reading of even 50. I can't get below 132. :(

• milehighgirl
    edited July 2014

Wandering, I wish I could find that article that talked about the unreliability of the cancer marker test.  It's on this thread but I couldn't tell you how far back it is.

In the mean time, here are a few other links to read through:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/96/topic/739781

http://dslrf.org/breastcancer/content.asp?CATID=27&L2=3&L3=7&L4=0&PID=&sid=132&cid=591

http://breastcancer.answers.com/early-diagnosis/understanding-the-cancer-antigen-27-29-test-for-breast-cancer

Remember that God's timing is perfect and He will work out the grandbaby schedule for you (congratulations!).  I can relate though as the further along I get in this journey, the more impatient I become, lol.  Praying blessings and thanksgiving for you!

Blessings.  Sue

• WanderingSpirit
    edited July 2014

Thank you Sue! I will look at the links now! :)  Blessings to you too! To us all!

Oh- 2nd link didn't work?

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited July 2014

Lucy I am blessed by the prayers and the LIVING Word of God!!! Thanks

I get a bit anxious as I am on a break from Chemo and do know know what is happening inside my liver right now.Blood work later this week. Please pray for me all my wonderful sisters.

• SpiritBlessing
    edited July 2014

I have not ever had my markers focused on as they told me it was not anything that was working for me for what ever reason so I don't ever ask about it. 

Bestock - I just found out last week Thursday that my liver is showing an elevation from a month ago so they had me stop taking the Erlotnib pill for a week then I will do blood work on Thursday to see where it's at then.  See if this pill has anything to do with it.  Apparently it is not the normal se so it is a new thing they are watching. 

I too have CT scans every 7 or 8 weeks according to the protocol of this study so I often wonder how many is too many but I know they have to see how things are going and so far all is stable...Thank you Lord!

Lucy

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,876
    edited July 2014

Hi ladies,

I need to go back and reread some posts but in my time with the Lord today I felt impressed to share this.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Wandering- I can feel your anxiousness. I had myself all worked up recently over recurrence statistics and the Oncotype test. I was so busy concentrating on the what ifs that I was blocking the spirit from doing any work in me because I was in a state of anxiousness. As hard as it is to not get upset in the natural , God works in the supernatural. He can pull us out of the storm in an instant if we allow Him to calm our hearts. Lord, my prayer for Wandering is that no matter how scary her tumor markers are YOU are still in control of her life. I pray that she will open herself up to your peace that does pass all understanding. Amen

Love,

Nancy BW

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2014

Lucy- Thanks for sharing about one day at a time. Yes, it pleases the enemy when we are in an agitated state so it is recognizing that we are in a continual spiritual battle and esp. with all of us dealing with bc it is especially important for us to realize that and to take on the armor of God.

Lucy and Sue- As far as diet I want to highly recommend a Nutribullet. You may have seen the infomercials. I bought my last two on HSN and got a better deal than buying locally.  I was into juicing for many years and it was just becoming too cumbersome and I thought is some ways wasteful as I would see a ton of the expensive organic greens I was buying ready to be thrown out after getting the juice from them. I invested in a Nutribullet about Jan. of last year. It makes fruit and veggie smoothies with all sort of seeds you want to throw in and no waste whatsoever. I use chia seeds or flaxseed most of the time. I have used it religiously every day. I did miss some days during my cancer tx because of fatigue but am getting back to my daily smoothie routine. It is a great way to get the needed fruits and veggies in your diet in a tasty way. I just bought a back up one a few days ago and I now have three of them. I had the 600 watt motor to start with and then they came out with the much more powerful 900 watts and I have two of them now.

Sue, had to smile at your watermelon treat. Glad you liked the pic of the swans. Getting out with my camera after church yesterday was the first day of feeling like I might be getting some of my old life back. Today I want to try some macro shots of my double hibiscus. I am dabbling in photography and trying to teach myself which has proven to be a challenge.

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited July 2014

One of our pastors said something yesterday that really struck a chord with me. He spoke about the word Yahweh, and its original spelling Yhwh. He said that the letters are basically the sound of our breathing in and out. That when God chose to give His name, it was as our very life; our breath. It is the first thing we do when we are born and the last thing we do when we die. He said this much more eloquently than this, of course. I came home and just closed my eyes and visualized God's breath filling my lungs. It was much easier to meditate when I was imagining God's breath flowing in and out of my body.

My friend's SIL that broke his neck is doing very well. They are taking him off the breathing machine soon. He is blessing all who he comes in contact with.

Lucy - my liver enzymes were up for about 8 months. I was taking some supplements, which I have now stopped. The enzymes were 4 times what they should be, and now are almost normal. Up just 20 points. I'm hoping they will be normal when I have them checked in Sept. I don't know if it was a coincidence that they started going down when I stopped the supplements or not. I've reintroduced a few, but not the DIM. I think that may be the culprit. I hope your levels return to normal. It's scary when they start testing for possible mets, I know.

I am thinking of and praying for you all.

Blessings

• SpiritBlessing
    edited July 2014

Mini - I stick to juicing regardless of the waste. I did a lot of research and along with working with my nutritionist it is worth juicing over smoothies for me. Juicing works faster and goes right to the system and there are less calories so it absorbs faster. I don't care for the texture of smoothies mostly so it is overall best for me. I did some research on what veggies would give the boost my liver needs so it's beets so I am trying to drink this once a day. I love beets so it works. I while beet with the greens and 4 carrots and 1/4 lemon...VOILA...delish!!!

• SpiritBlessing
    edited July 2014

For Christmas DH bought me a super juicer and I just love it, we got a Breville it is amazing. It's worth the cost if you really do the juicing. I used a Jack La Lane for a couple of years so it was time to upgrade. They have like 4 different ones and we got the second one down the first one did the smoothies. It's like turbo power it's awesome. 

• SpiritBlessing
    edited July 2014

For Christmas DH bought me a super juicer and I just love it, we got a Breville it is amazing. It's worth the cost if you really do the juicing. I used a Jack La Lane for a couple of years so it was time to upgrade. They have like 4 different ones and we got the second one down the first one did the smoothies. It's like turbo power it's awesome. Let me know if you would like to see a picture. 

• milehighgirl
    edited July 2014

Nancy, I'm with Lucy on this one.  Juicing sends the nutrients directly to your cells.  Smoothies have to be digested before the nutrients hit the cells.

Lucy, I wish I had the money for the Breville.  I'm jealous!  ha ha.

Mini, wow on your friend's healing.  What an inspiration!

Sue

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2014

Looks like I am outnumbered! I have colon issues so I need fiber so for me the smoothies serves that purpose. I had a Jack LaLane juicer. Went through two of them. I think I was trying to juice too many things at one time and my back was killing me just getting all the greens and fruits ready to go. You are right that the nutrients go directly to the cells when juicing so that is all good.

Good news. My doctor's office called today and no evidence of heart disease after my stress test. PTL.

Have a good evening everyone. Praying for all of you.

Love,

Nancy

• Mini1
    edited July 2014

I have a slow masticating juicer and love it. There are recipes online (YouTube) for crackers made up of the juice pulp. I'm going to try some.

I like smoothies, but I lived on them for over a year and I'm still not
    ready to start drinking them again. I always add fresh spinach to my
    smoothies. If you add berries, you don't taste the spinach. It's an easy
    way to get greens in your diet.

Blessings!

• gardengal777
    gardengal777 Member Posts: 376
    edited July 2014

I am with Lucy. jJuicing is the way to go as it goes right to the system. But there is something to be said about pulp as it adds fiber and most of the best of fruits is just near the skin. I juice but I also use a vitamix and blend it all together. No smoothie with added calories.

• gardengal777
    gardengal777 Member Posts: 376
    edited July 2014

Thursday is my first check in after my surgery a year ago. I know God is in control and His will be done but I still would appreciate all your prayers that God allow me to handle whatever comes my way. I believe He healed me and took away anything that might have developed. I am pushing Satan's voice back in my mind and focusing on all that is good and how I can give Him all the glory.

My prayers are with all of you near and far and for those friends and family members that are also dealing with serious health issues as well.

Blessings, 

Char

• milehighgirl
    edited July 2014

Char I do the same although lately I've gotten tired of juicing because it's so labor intensive.  I do love the carrot pulp for carrot bread.  I guess it's just what people prefer.  Both have their benefits so Nancy you keep right on making those smoothies.  They are very healthful too!

Be glad to add your prayer request to the list Char.  You've gone a long way post surgery so your doctor must believe that you're doing just fine!  I agree that warfare prayer is needed to get Satan to back off.  Following my dx in 2009 and the end of my first rounds of chemo, I went once a year for scans.  It was always hard waiting for the results but when they came out clear it was like winning the lottery.  Praying healing prayers and great news for you!

Nancy, didn't you have an appointment today or am I off a day?  How did it go?

Blessings to all.  Sue

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2014

Thanks Sue. No apt this week. I had the stress echo test last week.

Nancy

• SpiritBlessing
    edited July 2014

Morning  Lady Warriors,

I have the follow up blood work to see how my liver is doing since being off the pill for 6 days. Prayers for the counts to have gone down so we know the pill is the culprit. That way we know what needs to be done. Thank you in advance for the prayer support.

Looks like we have had a busy week so far for several of us with challenges so I have kept you all in my prayers daily. What an awesome board this is for support and sharing our thoughts, feelings, ideas, and our lives in general. I am so thankful for all of you in my life and how the good Lord brought me here...He is so good. 

Have a blessed day everyone and have amazing smoothies and juices to keep your bodies strong...WOO HOO...Lucy 

• SpiritBlessing
    edited July 2014

Mini - I forgot to ask...when your liver enzymes were up like they were did you have any side effects or did you feel different?  I feel tired but that could be from the pill too. Mine are up four times as well and they were fine 4 weeks ago at my last blood draw.   Lucy

• Mini1
    edited July 2014

Lucy - I had a lot of fatigue actually.  I also would have periodic stabbing pains, but that could have been my pancreas. I have pancreatitis and liver and pancreas issues go hand in hand. My coloring was also off. My eyes weren't yellow, but they weren't their normal white either. I also had some discoloration of my nails. Again, some of that could be related to my pancreas. I hope you're better soon.

Blessings

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2014

Hi ladies,

I post today with a very heavy heart. We had a terrible tragedy in Naperville this weekend. A young man was driving high on marijuana and drunk carrying two 21 year old young men as passengers. The car plowed through this fence and ended up in this quarry. Sue, this is the paddle boat quarry on the Riverwalk. The two young men drowned and I just found out these were both my former students. I ask that you pray for their families and friends. The driver is alive and will have to live with this horrible weight for the rest of his life for making one bad choice.

Thanks.

Nancy

• SpiritBlessing
    edited July 2014

Oh Nancy that is such a horrible tragedy. We will be lifting those families I prayer for strength and comfort. So 

• SpiritBlessing
    edited July 2014

PRAISE GOD!!! My liver is ok one of the tests is back to normal the other has shot back down and just a little elevated. Thank you God!!! They will be meeting with onc doc and letting me know what is next. I am so happy God is so good!!!

Thank you all for your prayers.  Our God is an awesome God!!!